jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Who is the bigger influence on your views?

1. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 2 years ago

Who is the bigger influence on your views?

Most of us make up our minds based on what we see or read or hear and how they fit with our world views. We are also influenced by how we were raised and educated. The question is what play the bigger role?
    Here are some choices, political leaders, news show, talk radio, teachers, parents, religious figures, experts in the field, own conscience or something-else?

2. manatita44 profile image85
    manatita44posted 2 years ago

Well, we view all from our own Conscience. If we do not exist, then what good is everything else to us? The root has always been the inner life, and humanity are its branches. All necessary, of course. Nothing is without purpose or meaning, as all helps us to grow, to evolve.

When I was a child, that life was important to me, but when I grew up, I did put away childish things. The whole of life can be said to be a 'grasping' if you like, a necessary grasping. But like the child, the time will come when we feel the need to let go and move on. This is an essential part of the process.

So the inner nature has the greatest influence. We view the world by the colour of our own Consciousness; Spirit, and our own mirror is coloured our darkened by own own changing state from day to day.

W exist. That's crucial! That which does not exist can never come into Being; that which exists, can never cease to be. Much Love.

1. jackclee lm profile image81
      jackclee lmposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Very insightful, thanks for your input.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 2 years ago

I like Eckart Tolle's description of the forming of the ego or self-image as described in his book, A New Earth. 

"When a young child learns that a sequence of sounds produced by the parents' vocal cords is his or her name, the child begins to equate a word,which in the mind becomes a thought, with who he or she is.

"At this stage, some children refer to themselves in the third person. "Johnny is hungry."  Soon after, they learn the magic word "I" and equate it with their name,which they have already equated with who they are."

Thus ego, or self-image is born.   I might add that after that, everything else is added: material possessions, beliefs - the lot    But as all of it is belief - a house built on sand.

4. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

Today it is not a who as much. For me it is my access to the internet. I am somewhat by nature through life experience skeptical. Influence by persuasion comes to mind in those cases. That can be an individual, organization, or some kind of institution like education, government, and etc. Inspiring as influence is a different matter. Then comes desires as influence. Bottom line I guess is my conscious has the greatest influence since that is where decisions with liberty of choice with free will arrives from doesn't it?

working