The Death Penalty : do you really not want it?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)
  1. arksys profile image85
    arksysposted 7 years ago

The Death Penalty : do you really not want it?

I hear everyone say how bad the death penalty is and all that 'good'stuff, but in a recent post on Facebook where a father shot the man who molested his kid after kidnapping him is being applauded by thousands who are saying the molester deserved it. I personally don't mind having the death penalty in effect as long as there are strict rules and to make sure an innocent person doesn't get hanged. What is your honest opinion?
    Keep into consideration the fact that going to war and killing people is no different to the death penalty. I see two faces here... just curious to know your opinions.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
    bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years ago

In California the Death Penalty has been ineffective, costly because of all the mandatory appeals. Prisoners on Death Row are more likely to die of old age, or disease before they get executed.

It is not a deterrent to criminals committing Murder. In addition, Prison and three strikes are not any more effective in reducing crime. We have over 2 million people in our prisons and jails, and racial gangs even operate from them.

So, I would say no to the Death Penalty simply because it is not effective.

arksysposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Many in the forum section argue the 'we are civilised people that's why we don't have the death penalty'.
      You and @Setank seem to be in favour of it. So your own people would call you uncivilised. What would you say to that?

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
      bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Irfan
      We do have the death penalty, and how did you conclude we were in favor of it? Read my last sentence in my original comment???

3. arksys profile image85

If it was effective you would say 'Yes' right? If say their appeals were 3  years in a row and the fourth year they would be killed. Or did I get that wrong again?

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

Irfan
      That is what you are saying, I have mentioned several times what I said. I wikk say that Sharia Law is not the same as US Law. Aren't there any pressing things going on in Australia? BTW, what is your op on Radical Muslim Terrorists?

5. arksys profile image85

You didn't agree or disagree. I still see two faces. Radicals were created to cause havoc and fear. They are not following the teachings of Islam.

6. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

English should be English, read what I said to answer your question.
      Then go back and see what is going on in Australia. Goooood Daaaaay

7. arksys profile image85

Yes English is my second language therefore I do have difficulty understanding sometimes. My intention was not to anger you. I apologise.

8. profile image53
      Setank Setunkposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I consider myself a moth on a tempestuous and incongruous journey to the flame of enlightenment.

9. arksys profile image85

@setank : ask / wish for a guide from deep within, for there are many paths but only one leads to the Truth. All the best.

3. profile image53
    Setank Setunkposted 7 years ago

Today we rely on the discretion of Prosecutors in circumstances such as these, and on the common law prerogatives of the judicial system through precedence. But I believe Brad is correct in his assessment that the Death Penalty is simply not worth the effort today.
    War is simply not bound by the conventions of civil obedience or moral turpitude. War is man exalted; free from the shackles of social bondage to pillage in the darkness and wreckage of his soul and return anew. (Roguine Depuur).

I understand all laws go out the window with war. But on one side people are calling the Muslim law death penalty barbaric yet they are happy to see their tax money go into killing the 'barbarians'. Would you agree that the Muslim death penalty is ok

2. profile image53
      Setank Setunkposted 7 years agoin reply to this

As one who has pillaged in the darkness and wreckage, I do not believe my views on Islam would be well received. I will say that Goodness is not inherent in all men.

3. arksys profile image85

That can be true and valid for all kinds of people. The are many standing on the receiving end of what they do not deserve. I don't mind what you say about Islam. If there is any misunderstanding, I could try clear them for you.

4. tamarawilhite profile image85
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

Ethics of the death penalty:
    * it shows respect for the value of the life taken, whereas constantly empathizing with the murderer can be misplace compassion
    * it ensures the murderer can't kill anyone else, such as a guard, lesser offender, someone innocent during an escape
    * the death of the offender could persuade others not to act on impulse and kill another, thus that one life ended saving even more
    * by executing the murderer, we save money and resources wasted on a life imprisonment that can be used to improve the lives of those still contributing to society

I agree to the ethics. So just to confirm you are ok with having the death penalty enforced?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)