Is the death penalty an effective deterrent to crime?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Seckin Esen profile image89
    Seckin Esenposted 4 years ago

Is the death penalty an effective deterrent to crime?

2. profile image0
    Natasha Petersposted 4 years ago

What a great idea for a hub. I've seen studies and observational data that points both ways (so perhaps it depends on the culture), but I think an even more probing question is, "even if it is effective, is it morally justified?"

Between considering the burden placed on jails (and therefore taxpayers) to keep morally corrupt people in jail for life, the hypocrisy of legally exacting systematic and premeditated killing (or "killing people to show people that killing people is wrong"), and how many innocent people have been (and thanks to the nature of human error, will be) executed, it's a very difficult question to answer.

3. profile image0
    Copper Manposted 4 years ago

The short answer: It prevents further crime by the person being executed, but not for the criminally inclined still at large in the community.

4. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 4 years ago

Not trying to divert from the actual question, but there is the matter of justice for victims.  The issue of whether the death penalty is a deterrent is only part of a complex and bigger question.  It's important to consider the answers to this question, but only useful if all the issues surrounding the problems of dealing with crime are addressed.

1. wmhoward4 profile image68
      wmhoward4posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Very good point. Can anyone tell me why that animal who grabbed a 10 year old girl, shot her brains out and dumped her, should have three hot meals, free health care, TV and a room for the next 40 years? Tell me why he should ever get out on parole ?

5. profile image51
    roseunlimitedposted 4 years ago

The death penalty as an effective deterrent to crime is only "as" effective the person in whom it pertains to. In other words people in the states where the death penalty is law, they may consider the death penalty as a way out, means to an end or may feel it they will not be caught. As you and I, the death penalty is and will be a deterrent to crime.

Diane

6. Mahfoudh Muhammed profile image61
    Mahfoudh Muhammedposted 4 years ago

Here are some of the crimes of which death penalty is the perfect solution.

Murder - If someone intentionally kills your mother, brother or anyone who is close to your heart in any means, ask yourself, what do you think they deserve? I don't know about you but I find death the right answer.

Rape - Apply the same process and you'll get the same results. Actually, if someone ever rapes my sister I would wish to torture them to death but that's how it works. They will deserve death but in the most merciful possible way, so will I for letting it happen, morally not literally.

Betrayal - Corroborating with the enemy for personal benefits leading to the deaths of hundreds of people is definitely a death deserving act. Not all betrayals require death penalties, however. Every case should be studied deeply and given the right judgement.

1. raymondphilippe profile image83
      raymondphilippeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Death penalty is not a perfect solution imo.

7. Thief12 profile image90
    Thief12posted 4 years ago

Death penalty is legal in many countries, including most of US states, and yet, crime still occurs. So I suppose the answer is no.

8. raymondphilippe profile image83
    raymondphilippeposted 4 years ago

No. Not an effective deterrent. There is no proof for this.

9. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I don't think it is. If someone thinks they have a reason to kill another human being, they're going to do it whether or not it means they themselves may end up being executed. As for other crimes people mention that does have or should have the death penalty (rape, betraying your country, etc), I still don't see it as a deterrent. It may make them more cautious and they'll try to cover their tracks because they at least think they can get away with it.

10. THarman7 profile image60
    THarman7posted 4 years ago

I feel that criminals have something haywire in their brains. They think differently then the average person so no I think they would still do the things they do. The death penalty would not stop them but it would help to keep costs down in the prison systems if they just disposed of the ones that have life sentence's, and have committed hanis crimes why keep them sitting in prison, and the tax payers are paying for them.

And what if, for whatever reason, somebody was wrongly convicted? Happens all to often.

11. CWanamaker profile image98
    CWanamakerposted 4 years ago

No not really.  Some people are just hardwired for crime and others have dug problems making rational thinking impossible.  Also, many criminals believe that they are either above the law or won't get caught.

1. wmhoward4 profile image68
      wmhoward4posted 4 years agoin reply to this

If they are hard wired for crime, maybe the community is better off if killers get what rabid animals also get.

12. wmhoward4 profile image68
    wmhoward4posted 4 years ago

This is why people need the right to defend themselves. In countries where the government disarmed the public, criminals are pretty much getting their way.

Examples?

13. Hackslap profile image85
    Hackslapposted 4 years ago

I think it is .. ever heard of someone even remotely trying to smuggle drugs in countries like Saudi Arabia or Singapore?

14. Alphadogg16 profile image92
    Alphadogg16posted 4 years ago

I absolutely think so, I think we should adopt some of the punishments from other countries. If you rape some one, castrate them, an eye for an eye. It says alot when almost a third of your population is incarcerated.

15. Angela Kane profile image77
    Angela Kaneposted 4 years ago

I believe the death penalty is a deterrent to crime and all hardcore murderers should get the death penalty. Even if it wasn't a deterrent to crime, I would be for it because I believe if you take a life intentionally that is not self defense, you should suffer the same fate.

16. lisavanvorst profile image77
    lisavanvorstposted 4 years ago

If someone takes a life than I believe their life should be taken. However there have been cases of innocent people sent to jail. Many of these cases occurred before DNA testing. Not all states have the death penalty. In those circumstances I feel those who commit murder should get life in prison.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)