jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Have I got this right? 99.999% or more of Americans are not protesting? Why does

1. Ericdierker profile image58
    Ericdierkerposted 15 months ago

Have I got this right? 99.999% or more of Americans are not protesting? Why does it seem otherwise?

Don't we have a whole lot more people in night clubs than protesting? Don't we have a whole lot more people going to worship? And don't we have a whole lot more people serving in our armed forces overseas, by choice? Don't we have about 10,000 times as many in prison? Is the media making it look otherwise?

2. gregas profile image82
    gregasposted 15 months ago

Since even elementary and high school kids are even being let out of schools, why??? We are paying taxes for these kids to be in school. They teachers and schools should be penalized for letting these kids out. It is not there place to be protesting. As for the "protesters", if they didn't vote they have NO RIGHT to protest. It's always been, if you don't vote, you don't have the right to complain. Anyway, that's some of my opinion, Greg.

Ericdierkerposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Greg, I remember walking down San Francisco Street in my small hometown. We marched arm in arm, hippies, cowboys, blacks and browns and don't forget us whites. We did it in the evening, peaceably after school and sport practice. Still finished homewo

3. Carb Diva profile image96
    Carb Divaposted 15 months ago

Eric, my younger daughter worked for a daily newspaper, and as you know the motto was (and probably still is) "if it bleeds, it leads". The hot, sensational stories get the press, even if they are the 0.0000001 percent.

Linda, when I was young I would do crazy outrageous things to impress the girls and get attention. I guess it is a natural concept including politics. Truth be told I never got one girl acting out. Go figure.

4. Tusitala Tom profile image63
    Tusitala Tomposted 15 months ago

It's typical of news media just about worldwide.  "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story."   Of course, you need to realize that Big Media is almost in 'panic mode' nowadays as more and more people report ACTUAL events on sites like this one.

I think there is an increasing majority of 'informed people' coming 'on line,' so to speak.   Printed daily newspapers are dying out.  Media organizations are desperately trying to get people to pay for their news on line but it simply isn't working.   There's so much 'free stuff' about.

A real sense of 'proportion' and 'reality' is beginning to sweep the world despite the efforts of those trying to cling on the Powers of Persuasion.

As the vernacular goes, "It's all good."   Or it's certainly becoming that way.   It could well be that the days of Big Media won't last...unless they change their perspective on what people really want to know about.

What great points Tom. My wife actually subscribed to our local newspaper Sunday edition. The reason was clear. Somehow They donate the fee every month to our child's school for six months. Well it hasn't hooked us to continue. Oh well.

5. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 15 months ago

Why does it seem otherwise? As most answered it is sensational news. More importantly it hits emotions, which are running high with the politics today. It just seems bigger because everyone believes there is a lot at stake.

I understand your supplemental. For instance as you know here in San Diego we have our share of Trump protests. They mainly are campus orientated and only a few general public ones. Each have maybe a few hundred participants. At the same time there is the Susan B. Anthony 3-Day march for Breast Cancer Awareness reported on the news. That amounted to thousands of participants walking and who knows how many supporters. IMHO they both received the same local news air time. But, which of the two are remembered?

6. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 15 months ago

Because the media is severely biased, so it gives excessive coverage to the protests. It is the same bias that caused them to essentially ignore Clinton's scandals, corruption, abuse of power.

I really do not think there is any other conclusion we can make. Not a conspiracy just a group think that is without respect for other opinions

working