jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Will a Third Party candidate ever be considered a viable candidate in our lifeti

1. bluesradio profile image73
    bluesradioposted 17 months ago

Will a Third Party candidate ever be considered a viable candidate in our lifetime?

2. gregas profile image80
    gregasposted 17 months ago

The only way I can see a third party having a chance in our elections is if they do eventually do away with the electoral college. The electoral college makes it almost impossible for a third party to run successfully. Just my opinion, Greg.

3. MizBejabbers profile image91
    MizBejabbersposted 17 months ago

I think Greg has a pretty good assessment of the situation. In order to compete, a 3rd party is going to have to attract viable candidates, and at this point, I don't see any extremist viewpoints being attractive to enough voters to get one elected. Unfortunately, this time around, They didn't have the chance of a snowball in you-know-where. The Libertarian Party platform has almost become a middle-of-the-road credible party, but there were two problems. 1. they had good men for state and local elections, but when these two men were asked questions about pressing national and international issues, they came across as Lum and Abner. 2. they were just a whisper in a hurricane of noise and dissonant name-calling by the two major parties (And this also affected the Green Party). It was like a rabbit being run over by a diesel.
    The Green Party seemed to have an intelligent person for a candidate, but only a few people knew anything about her. You don't become POTUS by hiding your light under a basket. Also, the party line was a little extreme for the average Joe American. They just don't understand when a party walks in and proposes "I'm shutting this down because it's killing you and mutating your kids into dwarf lizard monkeys."
    Average Joe replies, "You can't do that, I'll lose my job!" There has to be a viable alternative presented by the party to Joe. Joe then voted for the candidate who shouted "jobs" the loudest.
    Third parties, are ya listening?

4. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 17 months ago

It would be great if the other FOUR parties could be considered (Congregational, Libertarian, Green Party, Independent).  I understand we never hear about those, because they don't have much of a campaign budget. 

Rather than forswear yourself to one particular party, why not everyone take this quiz and base their voting choices on the results:
    https://www.isidewith.com/political-quiz
    I wound up being the Green Party.

working