jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

What do you think of Starbucks CEO plan to hire 10,000 refugees over the next 5

1. norlawrence profile image83
    norlawrenceposted 14 months ago

What do you think of Starbucks CEO plan to hire 10,000 refugees over the next 5 years atarting in US

Do you think this is a good plan or will it make less jobs for people who are citizens. Starbucks CEO was a supporter of Hillary so is this his way of getting back at President Trump for his refugee plan.

2. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 14 months ago

Starbucks choice to ignore American citizens in favor of refugees tells me all I need to know about that company.

Perhaps now many will wake up and stop buying their outrageously over priced crappy tasting coffee.

1. lisavollrath profile image96
      lisavollrathposted 14 months agoin reply to this

Their pledge was to hire them worldwide, not just in the US. Would you rather they not be employed, so you can complain about that? Or that they become homeless, so you can complain about that?

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
      bradmasterOCcalposted 14 months agoin reply to this

Mike, I agree. The American Way would be according to the left would be diversity. How diverse are refugees. I don't drink StarBucks anything, never have. I like my coffee with real donuts. Dunkin

3. gregas profile image81
      gregasposted 14 months agoin reply to this

No Lisa, I would rather they just stay in their own country decide to do something to defend it.

3. Aime F profile image85
    Aime Fposted 14 months ago

I think that's great.  Keep in mind that the 10,000 jobs are worldwide and not just within the United States.  So out of the roughly 50-60 countries that have a refugee population where Starbucks is located, you're looking at anywhere as few as 40 jobs per year going to refugees in your country.

I find it hilarious that so many people complain that refugees are draining taxes and feeding off of our money but once someone speaks up and says "I'll give them an opportunity to work and contribute" people still complain.  It goes from "why don't these people get a job" to "don't give them jobs because it takes opportunities away from our citizens!"  How unfortunate that people fleeing war and death can't even be treated with anything resembling kindness from some people.  Just judgment and contempt.

If someone is willing to boycott a company because it gives a small handful of jobs to refugees then that tells me all I need to know about that person.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
      bradmasterOCcalposted 14 months agoin reply to this

Aime, 40 jobs what a contribution to America that made Starbucks revenue worldwide $21.1bn    # Starbucks stores worldwide 22,557   
      # Starbucks stores in U.S. 13,172 . So #jobs4US=13,172div22,557times10,000=40?

4. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 14 months ago

First, the Starbucks pledge was to hire 10,000 refugees worldwide, not just in the US.

Second, these are people who need work in entry level jobs, while they're still learning the language of their new country. What better way to do it than taking coffee orders? Their lack of conversational skills in their new language will surely disqualify them for most jobs, so it's great that Starbucks is willing to help them out.

Third, I'm tired of hearing about Hillary supporters "getting back" at anyone. These folks saw a need, and are meeting it, in the private sector, without using any tax dollars. Surely, that's something we can all get behind, without framing it as some sort of petty revenge scheme, particularly since, in this case, it's an international undertaking, and not just aimed at the US.

5. Jackie Lynnley profile image88
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 14 months ago

I hope they do and I hope they let us know just how many years that takes.

working