jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)

Do you think people are born Gay & Straight?

1. profile image55
    Aisha Blackstockposted 13 months ago

Do you think people are born Gay & Straight?

Curious to know what people in today's society think on this question.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13456025_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 13 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13456070_f260.jpg

I can only speak for myself: I was born straight!
    There was no day where I "flipped a coin" or "chose" to be attracted to women. I was always attracted to females starting in kindergarten and most likely before then.
    I can't tell you how many teachers I had crushes on! smile
    My guess is most people don't analytically {choose} their sexuality. One (naturally) likes whatever it is they like.

3. mike102771 profile image81
    mike102771posted 13 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13456102_f260.jpg

As a strait, heterosexual, masculine, macho manly man I would say what does it matter? Why can’t people live their own lives and let others live theirs. Why do lesbian, gay, bisexual or trans-gendered people need to justify who they are?

1. mike102771 profile image81
      mike102771posted 13 months agoin reply to this

Many LGBT people the “them” want to live their lives free of persecution. It’s the few in the public eye the one that hate them causing the uproar. It’s like judging all the books by the cover of just one book (trashy romance novel) in the library.

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 13 months agoin reply to this

bradmasterOCcal,
      There was nothing "political" about the question!
      The question essentially is: Do (you) believe people (choose) their sexual orientation or are they born to it?
      Did you (choose to be straight) or was it natural to you?

3. mike102771 profile image81
      mike102771posted 13 months agoin reply to this

Pedophilia, bestiality and homosexuality are not the same. It ludicrous to connect the three. Sexual orientation outside of strait is not a genetic defect. It’s the strait men in certain states banging sheep not the gays.

4. lisavollrath profile image97
      lisavollrathposted 13 months agoin reply to this

You don't decide what's "normal" for the whole world, only what's "normal" for you. To imply that someone is not "normal" because they aren't straight is the same as saying it because they're black, or red-headed, or left-handed.

5. profile image55
      Aisha Blackstockposted 13 months agoin reply to this

The LGBTQ Community needs to be recognized so they can have the same rights as everyone else. If they could just live their lives like everyone else then they wouldn't have to fight for rights. So tell the straight society of the world to accept this

6. threekeys profile image82
      threekeysposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Well maybe the LGBT may have to wait in line until 50% of the global population (female gender) stop being seen as inferior only to be objectified as a commodity to be bought,sold or made a charity.The LGBTI I know? Highly promiscuous and careless

7. lisavollrath profile image97
      lisavollrathposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Of course, there are no highly promiscuous and careless straight people running around...

Equality for one group doesn't mean another group becomes less equal. It's not pie.

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
    Kathleen Cochranposted 13 months ago

I think people are born with the traits they have by the random spin of the genetic wheel.  Two brown eyed people who had a blue eyed child used to be evidence of infidelity.  Today we know better.  I think today we know better about homosexuality than we did in the past.  For that, I credit today's younger generations.  And I thank them for that.  What has also helped is more LGBT coming out.  Once you make friends with someone different from yourself, your prejudice declines.

Pedophiles and other predators are an entirely other discussion.

1. wba108@yahoo.com profile image82
      wba108@yahoo.composted 13 months agoin reply to this

Using your reasoning, wouldn't it be logical that pedophiles also were born with a genetic predisposition for a sexual attraction to children?

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
      Kathleen Cochranposted 13 months agoin reply to this

They may have.  My point though is that being homosexual does not equate with being a pedophile or predator.

3. wba108@yahoo.com profile image82
      wba108@yahoo.composted 13 months agoin reply to this

If being a pedophile or predator is genetic why can't that be equated with homosexuality? Whose to say one's better than the other?

5. lisavollrath profile image97
    lisavollrathposted 13 months ago

I think we will eventually learn that sexuality, in all its many incarnations, is wired into us before birth, either genetically or chemically.

I don't think people choose to be gay, or bisexual, or asexual, any more than they choose to have eyes of two different colors, or be left handed. We just are those things, and while we can force ourselves to be right-handed, or cover up our natural eye color with contacts, it doesn't change what we are, or make us any better to conform.

Really, I don't think it matters. People are what they are.

6. threekeys profile image82
    threekeysposted 13 months ago

This is a personal opinion. I am a hetetosexual yet I will see and recognize beauty in both men and women. I think one's sexuality is a mixture of nature and nurture. Humans are adaptable. I read somewhere (and I can't recall how legite the site was) that people who enter the prison system become gay in order to get their sexual needs met.
    Does it really matter? Each to their own. As long as healthy sexual boundaries are kept for all sexually active people, then all is fine.

1. profile image55
      Aisha Blackstockposted 13 months agoin reply to this

I know some people have no choice but to become sexually active with the only human option available to them in prison, and some are threatened with bodily harm, and even death if they don't sexually satisfy some of the other prisoners for survival.

7. profile image61
    peter565posted 13 months ago

Well, this fall under the category of neural psychology and enviormental psychology. This two factors, shape a person's psychological status. neural psychology, is something u are born with, u might be able to make certain alternation using surgery or medicine, but our understanding is till more limited, so, we are not always able to change a person's neural psychology setting, When people say "gay not choice" it is usually the result of neural psychology.

Then there is environmental psychology, this is shape by a person's environmental setting. These things would also shape a person, for example, men who have a serious distrust and fear of intimacy with women, due to certain childhood trauma experience or women have that sort of childhood experience with men, are more likely to be homosexual, then those who have pleasant experience of such. And boys who are made to wear women's cloth as children, are also more likely to be gay. Some studies also show, some homosexuality might be the product of survival instinct, as their life experience led them to feel increase sense of security in homosexual relationship.

8. profile image0
    Martine Andersenposted 12 months ago

It's not a DNA-thing. I believe we adapt to the things around us and environment has extremely much say in the matter.

working