Don Blankenship, ex-con, GOP senate primary candidate

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (50 posts)
  1. dianetrotter profile image60
    dianetrotterposted 5 years ago

Why is Blankenship the leading GOP senate primary candidate in West Virginia?

According to the polls, Blankenship is ahead of two other GOP candidates.  Why?
    the former chief executive of Massey Energy, served a year in federal prison after being convicted of conspiring to violate mine safety rules in connection with the Upper Big Branch mining disaster in 2010 that claimed 29 lives.

He objects to political correctness and likes to
    1) call Americans of Chinese descent "Chinamen"
    2) make up his own designation of races - Races are Negro, white Caucasian, Hispanic, Asian. There’s no mention of a race. I’ve never used a race word.”

Trump Weighs In on West Virginia Senate Race in Sign of Republican Anxiety

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/07/us/p … ginia.html

Blankenship's campaign inspired the following:
    432 KB
    VOTE FOR DON BLANKENSHIP Anonymous (ID: iPWqdsQU)  05/08/18(Tue)06:42:05 No.170859328▶>>170859431 >>170859723 >>170859799 >>170861348 >>170861670
    He is our f**cking guy.

Despite what Trump says, Blankenship CAN win the general election and Trump probably lowkey wants you to vote for Blankenship.

If you are not with Blankenship then you are with the Jews, its as simple as that. Blankenship called Mitch McConnel, "Cocaine Mitch".

VOTE FOR DON BLANKENSHIP

1. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

"If Democrats don’t start playing hardball, they may find themselves watching from the sidelines as Republicans continue to use anti-majoritarian features to entrench conservative power"

Diane,

If the GOP is serious about getting behind such a man as this Blankenship, it's says a lot about them and their REAL agenda in regards to the " man in the street".

dianetrotterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi Cred!  There should be nothing wrong with saying, "This guy is a racist and has no place in the GOP."  Some years back they were saying they need to reach out to other ethnicities.  I think it is ok now to say that people will vote for him for deplorable reasons.

That is just the beginning, who is this "Little" guy neo-Nazi, anti-Semite who is so comfortable wearing the Republican label in the Senate race in California against Feinstein?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol … 579612002/

In all fairness, the California GOP is trying to clearly disown him, as the ugly ducking that while not wanted seems to know where "Home" is.

Put these two together and people will get the see even more so, who the GOP actually are.

The idea of ethnic outreach has always been just so much mumbo-jumbo on their part.

Thanks Cred!  Never heard of this fool!  It's good to know who they are so we can watch them.

2. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Funny how this is proven wrong in the end. Blankenship is out. It appears the polls, yet again, were wrong.

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

I wonder how much mileage  liberals can get out of accusing candidates of being ;
    -ignorant
    -nazi
    -racist   
    -misogynist 
    Is that the limit of liberal's political  intelligence ?

If the name has an R -in front of it , it must be one of the above ? My nephew continually calls his elderly mother "stupid " because she voted for Trump. You gotta  love that element of compassion from the left.

Are you defending these guys, Ahorseback, are they your political kindred? What is your excuse,  this time?  There is only one SIDE capable of offering such human rubbish to the electorate, and are you on it?

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ever heard of a trial , evidence ,  due process , jury , judge ?
        I didn't think so .

I have heard of dodge, stall and excuse. Why are you defending these people are you really one of them in your heart? Their records are quite obvious and public?  Unless, you want to blame liberal media for that, too. Conservative/ rightwingers have a way of making me vomit, trying as hard as I can not to.

1. profile image0
            ahorsebackposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You CHOSE  to vomit hatred for the right ,  so it just happens Credence .
            I have seen the looks on the faces of mega liberals a few thousand times.  If it wern't for your one thought hatred you would have no collective party attachment whatsoever , remember  ?  I once belonged . 

I know .

No, I did not choose it, my ire against the Right, you've all earned it by unceasingly putting forth effort to that end.

If this country and society is to survive, I am duty bound to put you down at every opportunity.

1. Live to Learn profile image60

Sadly, it is attitudes such as that which will ensure our country does not survive. Putting each other down is not the solution.

Poor choice of words, let's say "challenge the Right".

That, I can admire.

2. profile image0
      promisemposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Did Blankenship run the following ad?

"Swamp Captain Mitch McConnell has created millions of jobs for China people. While doing so, Mitch has gotten rich," Blankenship says in the ad. "In fact, his China family has given him 10s of millions of dollars."

Is Arthur Jones, a Holocaust denier, on the ballot in the Third Congressional District?

Is Patrick Little, who wants to make America "free from Jews", running against Diane Feinstein?

Is the "pro white" Paul Nehlen running for Paul Ryan's seat?

Again, we need to look at both parties to see that problems are rampant, throughout.

Does it bother you that a Democrat in Washington believes Jews control the weather and were 'protecting' the Jewish people they took into custody?

Does it bother you that a revered democrat figure filibustered against Civil Rights legislation and was a firm opponent of integration?

Does it bother you that the DNC wanted to use the fact that Sanders is Jewish against him?

Does it bother you that Louis Farrakhan, a renowned and outspoken anti semite is highly revered in the democrat party?

Do Hillary Clinton's public statements that have been deemed racist, over the years or her stated respect for prominent anti semites bother you in the least?

If not, please explain.

1. profile image0

It bothers me when people take my comments out of context. I was responding to Horse's attack on "liberal intelligence" and his claim that liberals smear all Republicans.

A black DC councilman is wrong for making anti-Semitic remarks. At least he apologized, unlike anyone on my list. He also isn't running for the U.S. Senate or Congress.

A Democrat from 50 years ago isn't relevant to the discussion.

The idea that Farrakhan is revered in the Democratic party is nonsense.

The idea that Clinton is racist for using the word "deplorables" also is nonsense.

Otherwise, I agree that racism and anti-Semitism shouldn't be tolerated in any political candidate of either party.

I don't think using the term 'deplorable' to identify everyone who didn't vote for you is racist.

But, your statement appeared to be a stand alone comment. You didn't allude to anything ahorseback said. I apologize if you only meant your statement to be in response to his post and do not feel the comments you listed have any bearing on your opinions, otherwise.

1. profile image0

Thank you, LTL. I'm sorry I wasn't clear and will try to be more so in the future when I'm responding to a particular post.

3. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying that right-wing, capitalistic Republicans have plenty of compassion? Or that socially-minded, willing-to-share, "lefties" liberals have no compassion?
      What about intelligent awareness? Does that come into the equation?

4. dianetrotter profile image60

Horse, have you looked at any of this guy's campaign ads or heard him speak on tv?  I don't think Fox would let him on there.

3. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 5 years ago

I read that Chelsea Manning is running for Congress. An ex con, someone who leaked thousands of classified documents, had the US taxpayer foot the bill for gender reassignment surgery.

Just as bad, to me. The voters in those states will determine what is, and is not, acceptable behavior from those they choose to elect.

I wouldn't vote for either. But, I'd be willing to attempt to understand the reasons for supporting them. Because, if we just used mud slinging and unsupported allegations as our standard for voting we'd never do it.

L to L, I made no reference to the race in Maryland nor have I investigated the issues and the candidates there.

I am referring to the races in West Virginia and California. Stating the facts is not mud slinging. I am going to naturally get "touchy" about racists and convicted felons, who through criminal malice of forethought have blood on their hands.

I hadn't read your post. Sorry. I think I probably think like you, on being outraged that those morally unfit should not be allowed to hold public office. But, let's be realistic. It happens. Every day. On both sides of the aisle. People overlook all types of pecadillos. If we both named those with unfavorable ideas we'd have a very long list.

People rarely vote for the person, or their private lives. They vote for the ideas they publicly bring to the table.

You cannot complain about the unfit nature of one candidate without viewing all candidates.

2. Credence2 profile image78

There is a thing as magnitude and degree. Everybody has skeletons in their closet, but they are not the skeletons, themselves. Obviously, Manning, Blankenship and Little cross that line and I as such will call them out. I was unaware of the Manning situation.

The value of any ideas that Blankenship and Little bring to the table are superceded by their records, which any serious voter has to take into account. I won't vote for a neo-Nazi or felon economic terrorist regardless of what they say they are going to do, or their platform.

Manning may well promote ideas that I would consider radical ever from the standpoint of the progressive left. But, if the potential GOP running mate is a Trump clone, I may be forced to look at the lesser of the two evils as you did when selecting Trump over Hillary Clinton.

The point I make is that some candidates are more unfit than others.

The issue, LtoL is about more than moral unfitness, I wonder why so many states deny parolees the right to vote but an a convicted felon is allowed to run for a Senate seat? Sorry to digress.

What boggles my mind more about Blankenship are his sins against a coal mining state. Of all the states in the union, I would have thought W. VA. would be one he'd never have a chance in.

I can just say that the power of money and its inappropriate influence in politics is overwhelming. This is just a reason why true campaign finance reform continue to elude us. As Conservative see this influence as their 'ace in the hole', a way of short circuiting the democratic process.

The "money barons" are not interested in the welfare of working people, they never have been. The fact that such a man could rise to so much prominence in a coal state like West Virginia has to give one reason to pause.

Credence, with what we now know of Hillary's behavior and influence within the DNC and the blatant attempts to circumvent campaign finance rules can you honestly slap a 'conservative' label on the problem?

Again it is a matter of degree, I think that you find more support for concept of Citizens United, money considered as "free speech", far more on Conservative side of the isle.

Also, conservatives have not really been seen as the champion of working people more than as the advocates for plutocrats and oligarchs. The clearly are of House of Lords and not the House of Commons. I don't share much in common with the "Lords".

It is not a matter of degree except in the head of one making such an argument. What that argument boils down to is.....it is a matter of how much I agree with the desired outcome of the use of such funds.

I am interested in what the money is being used for or who is being bought and influenced at the expense of the man in the street.

I haveread  an article that said that there are 5 lobbyists from the finance industry/ corporate banking and Wall Street for every Senator or Representative. How much money is being thrown around, is it no surprise that Wall Street and the big money people always dodge the bullet or are never successfully reined in or made accountable? It is all found to a degree on both sides, but which side clearly states a position of always giving these folks the benefit of the doubt or a free pass?

I consider all politicians responsible for the problems with lobbying. Funny, because I firmly believe Obama, during hammering out the details for the Affordable Care Act, gave everyone a seat at that table other than the American people. He wasn't a Republican.

Conservatives do not so much give big corporations a free pass as much as they do believe in the principles of free market and capitalism. I don't always agree with things they do but I do not chalk that part up to being more corrupt than the next politician.

2. dianetrotter profile image60

I was wondering the SAME thing about a parolee being able to run for office.  The man is unconscionable.  He didn't not use proper safety measures and it caused 29 to die.  I'm sure the family members, regardless of political affiliation, had to restrain themselves.

4. profile image60
    beh123posted 9 months ago
  5. profile image60
    beh123posted 9 months ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)