should Australia change its flag

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (44 posts)
  1. bonny2010 profile image59
    bonny2010posted 14 years ago

i don't believe we should, it is the flag that we became a nation under. it isour history so why change it.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i have always loved Australia's flag. i love that the Southern Cross is depicted on it. it is one of the most beautiful flags, actually. why should a country change its flag because of some isolated incidents? that's ridiculous.

bonny2010posted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks cosette I love this flag, but this question started a longtime ago. the people who started have their reasons and I respectthem, but I don't agree with them

2. Sab Oh profile image56
    Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

Who is talking about changing it, and why?

the latest  is ray martin a news presenter - a need for change is the reason

3. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

I think it's to do with the alleged racism. A few Indian students have been assaulted, and one was stabbed (to death) in Melbourne recently.
    Now, all of a sudden the WHOLE of Australia is racist.
    That's called stereotyping isn't it? hmm

1. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And the worst part is there is lot of racism,regionalism,religion issues already in india. I call that hypocrisy of people in my country.

2. bonny2010 profile image59

i personally don't understand racism - to me its the person who accusses you of being a racist is the racist - everyone shouldbe allowed their own opinions providing they aren't  abusive, but here you just have to disagree with somepeople and you are a racist.  but in answer aka-dj  - the desire to change the flag was not to do with the assaults - its a decades old argument.
      Skyfire I call it hypocrisy over here too.

4. Greg Cremia profile image59
    Greg Cremiaposted 14 years ago

It should be up to the citizens. Let them vote.

And it has nothing to do with racism. Some want it changed because it looks like the British flag, a remnant of the days of colonialism.

thats part of the reason, but i believe we shouldkeep itbecause this isour history and its a reminder of what we went through  and how we conquered the extremes to grow into a nation of which I am proudof.

5. salt profile image60
    saltposted 14 years ago

On the indian question, I feel sometimes that they are projecting their own stuff on us. India has a crime rate of 2.8 per 100000 and australia 1.3 by the same measure.

There are a number of people killed in australia not all are reported in the manner the indian deaths are.

On the flag, I like the current flag and do hope we move towards a new one in the future, yet I dont think rushing it for the sake of being something new or different to what we were yesterday is the answer.

I like seeing the Aboriginal flag and the australian flag as Cathy Freeman had them in the Olympics.

I think steps need to be taken carefully here, as I am unsure that I like the idea of a republic that could star Tony Abbotts army.. etc.. I think we have to change things like the constitution to create a preamble or acknowledgement of the aboriginal people and a treaty for them to feel that we really do acknowledge them and their culture and their life experiences.

I feel working towards a republic is a good idea, but not at the expense of good administration. Making good changes to the legal and other systems seems more appropriate than changing the color of the flag.

Similarly, the national anthem. I would love to see us eventually incorporate something special for the aboriginal people of australia as well as acknowledging our diverse people.

I do not think all is bad here. We are a very lucky people. Creating a republic is a stepping stone to be taken one step at a time. I dont want to live in China. I do not want politicians creating a republic just to increase their belief in party political power. The real power of good government is good government, not manipulation of the citizens for personal or family or factional gain.

just quickly on the indian thing, I do not wish racial attacks on anyone.

I do note though that australia is not india and I think sometimes indian students do not understand that they may have cultural differences that we are not used to. It often takes a generation, when a new larger percentage of the population from a different culture settles.. so, give australians a go. We are not bad people, stop dishing us.

on the assaults -not good, but who said they were australians, last time esomething like this happened it turned out to be their own kind -  a ploy by unintelligent political mischiefmakers.  As for the aboriginal question - I prefer to remain mute on that subject, there are too many undercurrents there and as for the flag "if its not broken why fix it: besides in these times, Ithink we need to show we respect our past good and bad.

6. Eaglekiwi profile image76
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

They face this same question every year in New Zealand too ( and our flag is similar to Aussies)...
    I personally would like NZ's flag changed ,as at the moment its too much like Great Britian with the Union jack dominating the flag , so although like Australia ,New Zealand is thousands of miles away from Britian and her head of states ( Queen Elizabeth) I think its long overdue we cut the apron strings...wink

As usual its a political thing

if wecut the apron strings - in times of danger we may find ourselves standing alone - there are a lot of commonwealth countries out there who have to help us whether they like it or not because atpresent we are part of the commonwealth

7. profile image56
    JUAN DE LA RIBERAposted 14 years ago

As a Brit please excuse me for entering this discussion but I think it fair to point out some things re flags. Firstly half the English think the Union Jack is an English Flag, not that of Great Britain, every nationality has it´s fair share of pompous ignorant plebs, thus I would think that those down under from English stock might think the same.
    Flags also remind people of the heritage they have with all the good points and bad associated with it. Antipodean history cannot be re-written by changing a Flag and a reminder of what was done wrong in history, to me is a good thing. Also those of the older generations took pride in their country, fought, suffered and died for it, the symbol of that country? It´s flag. Yes if enough people want to severe all ties with "The Old Country" or are worried that the present flag might give the impression that you are a branch of the repressive colonial regime, change the flag.
    It´s your´s not mine, but please make sure it is something of which you and future generations can be proud of. Whatever flag is adopted, you´re Aussies, Diggers and a bloody good group of people on the whole.

Juan you said it all thank you.

8. thirdmillenium profile image61
    thirdmilleniumposted 14 years ago

Australians are none too happy to be under a British administrator at least in name. And, that rattles them and rightly so, after all these years. And, the flag has too much of Britain in it.

None of this has anything to do with racism or Indians.
    It is amazing the Indian issue is thrust into this discussion.

Anyway, it is up to the Australians to decide. May be a plebiscite will be in order.

i agree with you concerningthe indiansand racism = thank you

9. thirdmillenium profile image61
    thirdmilleniumposted 14 years ago

And, as far as Indian issue is concerned, there have been some 150 assaults on Indians but NOT even one such despicable thing happened to any other nationals.

You decide.

they happen all the time to aussies - a lot get covered up because of the legal aid laws.

10. Eaglekiwi profile image76

I guess the main point I was trying to make was

Let countries be truly automanous and choose for themselves ,yes many Kiwis fought under the British flag but I dont see New Zealand represented on Englands flag? ,if ya get my drift.

Even the United states have individual flags for each state smile

So Im voting NZ and Aussie get rid of the Union jack..not that a change of flag will erase racism , no , hell nooooo

an old kimerley elder once told me that racism was inthe eyes of the beholder.

11. salt profile image60
    saltposted 14 years ago

I am thankful for what I read from others. On the republic issue, I dont think cutting the strings is the best motivation, we have good friendships and other links with Britain, Ireland, Scotland and many other nations. I am proud to be australian. I am proud of my heritage and learning about history. Britain was invaded too and many of our pasts are touched by invasion in one era or another, so understanding and moving past conquer and conquest may be the key...

12. Eaglekiwi profile image76

But cutting the strings doesnt mean cutting the friendship, it does mean we are grown up now though  and should be free to be Independant smile and welcome the challenge

13. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I didn't know they had a flag. Who made it for them? Must have been a Kiwi.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image76
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yer a brave man  lol

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, not at all! I'm hoping I'm off the radar!big_smile

Oh ok but it didnt make much sense is all.

1. profile image0
            sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just my normal non-sense.big_smile

Oh good I have days like those too wink

14. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I don't understand this thread.  How did the murder of an Indian student end up into changing the national flag?

Guess youd need to read the original post and a forum being what it is evolves thus smile

15. Mamelody profile image61
    Mamelodyposted 14 years ago

I lived in Australia for seven years and those were seven of the worst years of my life. I experienced extreme racism, hatred and almost died several after being attacked just because I had a different skin color...

forget flag changing... change the whole country!

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

2. bonny2010 profile image59

thats sad mamelody guessyou have reason to feel that way - but this happens everywhere not just australia.

3. yenajeon profile image69
      yenajeonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My friend as well has experienced lots of anti-asian racism in Australia. I'm not exactly sure why? Is it because of the large amount of immigrants taking jobs? It was so bad she left (U of Melbourne) and transferred to the US

I am actually very curious now and am researching it lol, could someone explain the cause/origin for this apparent rampant racism toward Asians?
      Thanks

16. marcel285 profile image64
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

Not until Australia can stand on it's own two feet.

Speaking of Australia, i watched something on TV last night about it. This old man was running a campaign to try get the national anthem changed to waltzing Matilda! LOL It was hilarious. It was clearly his favorite song, he got 50 votes.

i saw it too good on him for following his drream - personally I can't stand the song - it smacks of loser,  why take your own life over a sheep - if you that dedicated to independence why not go down fighting- that was more the australian spirit.

I agree with ya there Bonny , why some Aussies would chant a song about a sheep stealer I never could figure ..smile

squatter  snobbeery   mate -  it was written by Banjo Patterson - i like his poetry by the way  -  I remember when I was at school, now I am showing my age, yeap back in the days when armstrong first walked on the moon - anyway there was no way an old bushman or working class bloke or woman would acknowledge that song as anything other than a good drinking song.

17. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Cool -

18. marcofratelli profile image79
    marcofratelliposted 14 years ago

Nope. Flag stays the same. Nation stays a monarchy. That part's not broken, so don't fix it. But we should change are our attitude and tall poppy syndrome. Free speech fair enough, but I think people just jump on bandwagons just because. We need people that are strong enough to say NO generally, when things start to get out of hand.

19. ASHWINSPGA profile image58
    ASHWINSPGAposted 14 years ago

Good Morning Hubbers,
    if i remember correctly the last time a vote was taken to see if Australian wanted to become a republic, 46% voted yes and 54% voted no. It looks like the majority of Australians themselves don't want any changes for the moment and and rather remain with the British empire.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)