Federal Workers are Whiners

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Sychophantastic profile image88
    Sychophantasticposted 2 years ago

Why are so many federal workers who are either furloughed or not getting a paycheck complaining? First of all, if you work for the federal government, you should be more than aware that a shutdown is possible and prepare for the worst. If you haven't prepared for the worst, whose fault is that? If you can't survive going without a paycheck for a month or so, then perhaps you shouldn't work for the federal government.

Then, as Wilbur Ross has suggested, you are still going to get paid eventually. So go get a loan to cover your expenses until the shutdown is solved. Many banks are offering loans at 0% interest.

And as Lara Trump has suggested, this shutdown is for the greater good of the country. Think of our soldiers and others who have been asked to sacrifice a lot more than a couple of paychecks for the greater good of our country. This seems like a fairly minor sacrifice, yet the complaints are non-stop.

Why is it that when people aren't prepared for the worst, they want to blame somebody else instead of taking personal responsibility?

1. profile image0
      Hxprofposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I haven't heard a lot of whining.

Sychophantasticposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I have. This is a typical liberal talking point. Because a group of people doesn't save, doesn't plan, has no safety net, somebody else is supposed to take care of their problem.

If you can't survive a government shutdown, don't work for the federal government.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
          gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Well stated.  What people REFUSE to realize is that many things in life is a choice.   People CHOOSE their respective situation.  If they make unintelligent choices, they will pay the price.  In other words, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.  Many negative situations are CHOICES.

2. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Media is only talking about the whiners. There are plenty of federal workers willing to wait on their pay in order to move getting border control under control. These people do not want to be in the lime light, a target for the left on any level, but conversations with them are revealing. The news will only inflame but we need to keep their tactics in mind and work with those who are reaching out to help any federal workers who are in true need. Communities across the country are doing exactly that while we wait on the parties to work out their issues. Besides this new help, there are already countless organizations that reach out to the needy.

3. Live to Learn profile image78
      Live to Learnposted 2 years agoin reply to this

roll

4. Sychophantastic profile image88

I just heard some other NPR story about prison guards at a federal penitentiary in Louisiana. The average salary in the town is 30k/year, but when the prison got built, everyone was super excited because it paid more. Well, now they're griping about going a few weeks without a paycheck and not being able to afford gas to drive to the job. There was one guy who said he couldn't buy a present for his two-year-old's birthday.

I mean, c'mon, how can you not be prepared for a few bumps in the road? It's not sad that they're not getting a paycheck. It's sad that they're so unprepared for the unexpected.

Maybe this is actually a good learning experience for these people and next time they'll be ready.

1. hard sun profile image82
        hard sunposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Wow...maybe some of them just went through "a few bumps in the road" and now they are dealing with this.

I'm tired of all the judgmental talk on internet  forums. Do we need to keep score on every aspect of our lives in order to validate living? I think those that disparage others, whom they don't know, should be required to let the world know EVERYTHING about their lives so we can judge them accurately.

Do you have a child that takes more from the healthcare system than your neighbor? Did you not have any children thus they aren't contributing any tax dollars? Do you drive a big vehicle that inordinately tears up our roads and pollutes our air? This crap is crazy.

1. GA Anderson profile image92
          GA Andersonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

"I'm tired of all the judgmental talk on internet  forums."

I understand your sentiment hard sun, but consider this: Some come to judge others. To make themselves feel better by judging others. And some come to judge the judges. To make them validate their credentials to judge. Which is also a source of good feeling.

Now I just have to figure out if one is as bad as the other. Damn.

GA

Ha, yeah. If I feel superior for not judging than I'll take that because I'm correct on my premise of not understanding the situations of others and not being able to look at things in a bubble. No one has the credentials to judge those who they know virtually nothing of. If understanding that makes me feel superior than so be it.

We all affect one another no matter how independent we may think we are, or want to be.

What's the whole stone and a glass house thing?

2. Sychophantastic profile image88

Why shouldn't we judge? Every financial adviser on the planet recommends having somewhere between 2 and 6 months salary saved away in case of emergency. So if you don't follow that guidance, shouldn't you be judged?

If you walk out into traffic and then complain you got hit by a car, shouldn't you be judged?

If you do crack and then complain you're an addict, shouldn't you be judged?

If you have sex with 100 different women and then get a venereal disease, shouldn't you be judged?

If you don't display common sense, shouldn't you be judged?

Why shouldn't we judge?...Because you have no clue how others got into their situation and they you..also, as I stated, if we want to judge everyone like this...than let's keep score...everything out on the table ALL the time..that sounds like a nice society huh?

I'll judge a crack addict based on the fact that I know they do crack, nothing else. That's entirely different than gong online and making blanket statements about people you don't know...entirely false equivalencies

Besides, do you know if you'd be a crack addict if you had to watch your mom prostitute herself out in your home when you a child? I don't know how'd I'd react to that situation...that's my point. Those that don't have the ability, or will, to think outside of what they see, have traits that are not likely to be passed down through the gene pool too much longer. That's my judgement.

In reality, I only judge others situations if I know the entirety of that situation. That means I must know them VERY well. The rest,  live and let live...right?

Some federal workers just paid out thousands of dollars on unforeseen medical bills, others had to pay thousands to an attorney to defend themselves against false charges, others get paid very little and just spent their savings on the pipes that burst in their home..etc. etc,...
            So we have NO CLUE which workers in a financial bind have acted without "common sense."

Of course it's crazy. This person isn't a conservative. They are liberal having some fun at the expense of all of our sensibilities.

What have I said that's crazy? Do you believe people should take personal responsibility for their actions? Do you believe that taking a job as a federal worker comes with risks and that if you take one, you should be expected to understand and prepare for those risks? Do you believe that people should sacrifice their personal entertainment in order to save money to protect themselves against emergencies?

Once again, lots of assumptions about people you don't know. Oh well, I'm sure they don't care what others like you think about them...I know I don't. Please, give us a full report on your life so we can keep score.

Taking any job, or not taking any job, involves risks...I'm not even sure what the point is here. It has nothing to do with personal responsibility. Trolling?

2. profile image0
              Hxprofposted 2 years agoin reply to this

"Do you believe people should take personal responsibility for their actions? Do you believe that taking a job as a federal worker comes with risks and that if you take one, you should be expected to understand and prepare for those risks? Do you believe that people should sacrifice their personal entertainment in order to save money to protect themselves against emergencies?"

1) Yes.  2) Yes.  Even so, there's only so much one can be prepared for - contingencies are common in the lives of most, and we have resources to prepare for only so much.  Even 6 months income won't guarantee survival; anything can go wrong as Hardsun pointed out.  3) Yes, and ditto my previous comment.  I can sacrifice EVERYTHING else save what I need for sustenance and still not have enough when my world comes crashing down.

You have more compassion than you're expressing........I hope.

You know it's crazy. I know it's crazy. We are sympatico.

2. Bills Place profile image90
    Bills Placeposted 2 years ago

Only whining or complaining I have heard isn't from workers, but those on welfare and government assistance.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000

2. Sychophantastic profile image88

I have heard whining from TSA workers and others who work for the government - national parks people.

Again, you know what you signed up for. If you don't like it, don't sign up for it.

1. JAKE Earthshine profile image74
        JAKE Earthshineposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure government workers NEVER signed up to work indirectly for a retarded 72 year old man who could care less about them or this faltering nation and who is under suspicion of being a Russian Asset:

You know that "r" word you used is considered offensive, right?

The other thing I didn't mention is that my son tortures me by listening to NPR in his car and it's like 24 hours a day of human interest stories, most of which are about some government worker who didn't have any savings and now can't pay their mortgage.

Pretty much every financial adviser I know recommends having 6 months of salary saved away. Do many Americans do that? Of course not. But when you find yourself in a situation that requires you to have savings to survive, it's your fault and nobody else's that you didn't plan for a rainy day.

1. Credence2 profile image80
            Credence2posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Do you have 6th months of salary saved for a rainy day? I doubt it, more bitching and fantasizing from the Right?

Trump will be blamed and good enough for him.

I do, as a matter of fact. Not only that, but I have an open home equity line of credit just in case.

Sometimes in order to be safe financially, you have to give up the vacations and the big televisions and the video games and the meals out and save. I did that, so I have no sympathy whatsoever for those that don't.

Bills Placeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Not all government employees have large salaries and have the ability to put 25% - 50% into a savings account for a 6 month savings. Young government workers likely have student loans, possibly a wife and kids to support, and likely have a smaller salary with less benefits compared to more seasoned government workers who may be at a better position for funding a savings account.

Not many people expect to wake up and be out of a job and pay for no reason, without warning.

Of course, if a person has the means to put $30 in a savings account vs going to the movies every weekend, and they choose the movies every weekend rather than say, going on a date night once a month and saving $90 - then I can see your perspective.

Then again, we live in the era of $5+ for a cup of coffee vs a $15 for a pot and $5 for a container that averages 200-250 cups?

Bills Placeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

The interview process most likely focused towards the job requirements, salary, benefits, insurance coverage options, etc., not the government shutting down and being out of a paycheck because the leader of the country doesn't get his way.

Like with any 'non-government' job, there's the chance of being laid off, but I've never discussed it during an interview. Why? Because they took unemployment out of my check each week, if there was a layoff I just drew unemployment I paid in.

Has unemployment benefits been affected by the government shutdown? If so, they don't even have that to fall back on.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)