A Question for Suburban White Women and Housewives

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (68 posts)
  1. crankalicious profile image87
    crankaliciousposted 3 years ago

President Trump says that you should be scared of dark-skinned people being allowed into your neighborhoods.

So, do you fear that a Biden Administration will open the floodgates in your neighborhood, allowing housing and such for immigrants that will lower the value of your house and ruin your lifestyle? Are you specifically afraid of Somalis and other Africans?

And how many of you are actually housewives?

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 3 years agoin reply to this

LOL.

He thinks we're stupid.  A few are still susceptible to the con, but far fewer women than men, apparently.

1. GA Anderson profile image83
        GA Andersonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

But wait, wait . . .

I agree that it is a bum attitude for a president to present, but, he is not the first to do so, and is he really wrong?

Consider how many suburban developments have Home Owner's Associations that regulate everything from the color of your front door to the height of your mailbox. Then consider why so many home buyers are willing to agree to HOA, (Home Owners Associations), rules to live in their chosen communities. Are they wrong for doing so? If they choose a suburb for its attributes, are they wrong for not wanting low-income housing in their chosen development?

I say, of course, they are not wrong. But, it is only the most unenlightened and crude that will actually admit this. Baloney.

Pres. Trump's statement reflects a truth that "good folks" will never admit. But, it is still a truth.

This rap on Trump is a disingenuous one.

GA

1. profile image0

"Every family in Minnesota needs to know about Sleepy Joe Biden's extreme plan to flood your state with refugees from Somalia, from other places all over the planet."

I don't know, GA. Are you "good folk" if you're opposed to refugees from Somalia settling in your neighborhood?

1. GA Anderson profile image83

Oh well, I failed again. My "good folks" reference was intended to be sarcasm. As in, "good folks" are NIMBY folks.

GA

2. Abby Slutsky profile image92
        Abby Slutskyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I live in a suburban area. I have lovely African American neighbors, and the color of their skin is not important to me. They are nice people and take care of their property beautifully. The husband was one of ten children and is one of the best neighbors in my cul-de-sac. Even CNN has acknowledged Biden's rascist comments, and I know you think they are the cat's meow for coverage. https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/07/politics … index.html Just because Biden is sorry now, doesn't mean his opinions are any different than they were previously.

1. profile image0

Hello. Who are you and why do you think you know me?

Yeah, Joe is an old white guy who said some racist stuff 27 years ago running for president against an old white guy who says racist stuff now.

Am I supposed to be horrified at Biden while ignoring the racist president?

Uh....no.

1. Abby Slutsky profile image92
            Abby Slutskyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome to your opinion, but the cold hard facts is that if we want to talk aabout a rascist candidate, even CNN reports on it. (and believe me they do not like Trump). Wait, till he starts packing the courts. Our current president does not do that.

2. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

No, we really aren't concerned. I guess you could call me suburban, but part of our subdivision is in the county, so I'm a country girl. However, I'm a retiree, not a housewife, and most of the neighbors are professionals, either working or retired like us. We moved here in 1994, and the neighborhood was integrated, it has maintained a similar ratio since then. There isn't a lot of neighborliness in this neighborhood anyway, so what do I care what race the neighbors are?
      One of the nicest families on our street is African American. A couple of the biggest snobs are retired blue collar whites. A Vietnamese family lives two streets over and they've taken the time to make friends with us. They are working professionals, both work in a bank. So what the heck?
      As long as folks are nice, we don't care what race they are, and race doesn't seem to bother any of our neighbors. What really bothered residents in this "quiet subdivision" was a house where the occupants were dealing drugs. Now the neighborhood worked together (whites and our black brethren) really hard to get them out of the neighborhood. BTW, they were caucasian.

crankaliciousposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Glad to hear that!

3. Sharlee01 profile image89
      Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

"President Trump says that you should be scared of dark-skinned people being allowed into your neighborhoods."

Could you provide a source of this statement? This is a very slanderous accusation, and should not be made so lightly. You need to provide a factual source when you make the claim a person actually made a statement. You used quotation marks quoting the statement as if the President actually made that statement.

I have never heard the President share that sentiment. I have heard him warn against Biden's plan to build LOW-COST housing in the suburbs. He also followed up with his thought that low-cost housing would lower the value of homes in such areas. I did not hear him attach race to his statements only a financial outcome that could result if low-cost housing was built in suburban areas. Perhaps you are feeling he was sending off a dog whistle?

May I ask --- What are your feelings in regard to the statement Joe Biden made on desegregation in 1977 while a Senator? His statement is clear, and the context is clear.

"in 1977 in which Biden, then a U.S. senator representing Delaware, allegedly expressed fear that desegregation, if not done in an “orderly” way, could result in his children growing up in “a racial jungle with tensions having built so high that it is going to explode at some point.”

I am making an attempt to point out the context of both statements. Both statements could be taken out of context.  Could have Trump been sharing a thought about how low-cost housing could be a financial problem to a homeowner? Could Biden be concerned about tension in schools being a safety problem for his children?  Both statements certainly have racial undertones. Biden using the word racial jungle does add a racial slur to his statement. I have never heard Trump utter an open racial slur.  If dog whistles matter, should they not matter with Biden as well as Trump? Is this not a fair concept? 

source ---   https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/biden … gle-quote/

https://www.c-span.org/video/?475726-1/ … -minnesota

7:32

He warns the crowd that Sleepy Joe Biden is going to flood the state with refugees from Somalia.

Where did I use quotation marks?

And are you going to answer the question? The forum isn't for you to reframe the debate and ask me questions. If you want to know something, start your own forum.

I asked a specific question based on President Trump's statement that Minnesota will be flooded with Somali refugees.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

No you didn't - you said: "President Trump says that you should be scared of dark-skinned people being allowed into your neighborhoods."

In fact, his words were: "Every family in Minnesota needs to know about Sleepy Joe Biden's extreme plan to flood your state with refugees from Somalia, from other places all over the planet."

So...nothing about dark skin, nothing about anywhere but Minnesota and nothing about ONLY refugees from Somalia.  Just more spin and lies, then, as his words are changed to fit an agenda.  Very similar to the lies made when he banned travel into the US from certain countries supporting terrorism and it was changed into banning Muslims from coming in.

What color is the skin of people from Somalia?

We won't even get into the fact that Biden has no such plan or that Somalis already have established neighborhoods in Minnesota and Trump's insults are uncalled for and likely to incite violence against them.

And are you really so naive as to want to argue over the color of the skin of people from Somalia and whether or not picking Somalia is intentional to emphasize that they are dark-skinned? Does dark-skinned cover Somalian people?

If Trump says Sleepy Joe Biden has a plan to inundate your neighborhood with oranges and I say that Trump wants you to be afraid of orange fruit, you're really going to argue that he doesn't want you to be afraid of orange fruit because he said oranges and not orange fruit?

Let's face it. Sleepy Donald Trump is trying to scare suburban white women about the hordes of non-whites that are going to move into their neighborhoods if Biden is elected President.

It's not about skin color.  It's about rewording what was said to make it appear to be about race when it most definitely was not.  It's about leaving off the "from all over the world" in order to give it a racist bent.  It's about saying he was speaking (primarily) to "suburban white women" when he most definitely was not (again, an effort to claim the statement was racist when it had zero to do with race).

Even the last paragraph here in this post is a lie, for that wasn't the point at all, and anyone not out to turn it into something it was not would not claim it was.  For shame.

(IMHO, we are making an error by resettling refugees into large enclaves of people with similar backgrounds, which is what Trump was saying.  The inevitable result is a large change in the politics and culture where they are located; rather than become Americans, with American culture and values, such enclaves of foreign culture bring that culture with them and turn the area into what they left.  Americans are required to accept a foreign culture as the norm rather than welcome people assimilating themselves into America.  Not a particularly desirable return for their generosity.)

Most of those refugees who are "resettled" are not allowed into existing neighborhoods, so they move into what they can afford and they move with their own people as a safety measure.

In general, in this country, dark-skinned people have not been welcomed into the neighborhoods of white-skinned people, so where exactly are they supposed to go? Isn't it natural and intended that they end up in neighborhoods with people with similar backgrounds?

I see.  Then we don't have large groups like the one in Minnesota or the Basque near me.  We don't have "Chinatowns" in several places in the country.  We don't have Amish communities having trouble integrating into mainstream America.  Instead refugees spread out and take up residence all over the country, as far away from their own heritage as they can.  They don't end up "in neighborhoods with people with similar backgrounds".

Not sure what country you live in, but it can't be the US, for we have large groups of immigrants with similar backgrounds, and their descendants, all over the country.

But yes, it is intended that they institute small enclaves of foreign culture into neighborhoods throughout the US.  That's what I said, and it is damaging and dangerous to American citizens that must then live within or nearby to those areas with a culture very foreign to them.  A foreign culture created and built on American soil by peoples that we have welcomed into the country in the hopes they will assimilate into, and become a part of America.

While it is questionable if it is even realistic to think that immigrants would spread out into various neighborhoods as this is simply not human nature, I suggest you take a look at how that worked with African Americans in our own country. The reason there are black enclaves all over the U.S. is partly that they may have wanted it that way and partly because white communities wouldn't have them.

2. Readmikenow profile image93
              Readmikenowposted 3 years agoin reply to this

What part of "from Somalia, from OTHER places all over the planet." is difficult to understand?

Contrast this interpretation with "President Trump says that you should be scared of dark-skinned people being allowed into your neighborhoods." 

So, this is one of the reasons it is difficult to take criticism of President Trump from the left serious.

The lies told about this president from the left are impressive and never ending.  Since he can't be defeated by policy debate and honesty, telling lies about him and what he says is all that's left for those who oppose him.

I'm sure leading with Somalia was just an accident. I read that in the original speech, he meant to lead with Germany.

And when he was asked to denounce white supremacy and QAnon, I read that he had just donated a million dollars to the NAACP and got confused.

And I read that when he said "grab 'em by the pu**y" he was talking about cats. He really likes cats.

2. wilderness profile image95

You're right - everything he says must be spun into something it was not in order to make it sound "evil".  In this case, the topic of excessive refugee immigration, into small areas that will then undergo a cultural change as a result, must be turned into something racist. 

Unfortunately, it works all too well, for few that dislike the President will take the time to "unspin" such comments and understand what was really said.  Too much work and anyway it removes the ability to say "See?!?  I TOLD you he was racist!".

1. profile image0

LOL, no, much of what he says is so hateful his supporters have to pretend he didn't mean what he said.

When you change the meaning of words, when you leave out half the comment, when you "forget" the context, when you change the topic...these are pretend things. 

If you haven't already, look back over this thread.  You will find where half the comment was left out.  Where the topic was changed.  It isn't supporters pretending here to produce a "racist" comment from one completely removed from race considerations.

3. crankalicious profile image87

This is a person who established his career race-baiting folks over a fake claim that the black President wasn't a U.S. citizen.

His racism is well-established.

This is a continuation of this. Those black folks aren't Americans. They're threats. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

His racism has been spoken of many, many times.  By media and people that don't care if it is true or not.

Think back to his travel ban from certain middle east countries...and the uproar that he was "racist" (I know, the word doesn't make sense, but that was the cry) against Muslims.

Consider his statement that criminals and drug runners were coming in from Mexico...and the huge outcry that he was racist against Mexicans (I know, that one doesn't make sense either, but that's what was said). 

Now he complains of excessive refugee immigration, and the propensity to intentionally create whole communities of foreign culture (from all over the world)...and you're complaining of racism.

Just isn't there.  Even his claim that Obama wasn't a US citizen didn't have racial overtones...until it is pointed out that Obama was black and therefore any claims of foreign citizenship must be racist.  Use of the "racist" card is tremendously over used in this country, to the point that no criticism of non-caucasians automatically draw the claim of racism, whether there or not.

1. profile image0

I've seen members of the KKK say they are not racist, that they are merely factual beings, spreading truth.

This post, while nothing so extreme, uses similar rationalizations for statements and actions that clearly indicate racism to most people.

2. Sharlee01 profile image89

I must apologize for my statement on you using quotation marks. I can see they are not present.  And yes I took a sharp right with my comment. As many do here on the political forum. I will take note that you don't appreciate deflecting.   

Your questions do make one think. "So, do you fear that a Biden Administration will open the floodgates in your neighborhood, allowing housing and such for immigrants that will lower the value of your house and ruin your lifestyle? Are you specifically afraid of Somalis and other Africans?"

I will be truthful, I would fight tooth and nail to keep low-cost housing out of my suburb. And yes I believe Biden would try to build low-cost housing in suburbs. Biden has verbally on many occasions committed to building low-cost housing in suburbs. So yes I will take his campaign promise very seriously. And yes I feel low-cost housing would make the value of my home go down.  I actually will admit openly I would not look forward to living with Somali refugees.

Well thanks, Sharlee!

You want to know some truth? I live in a very liberal town - full of liberals. And you know what? Most of them talk a good game when it comes to affordable housing and homelessness, but when plans come around to put a homeless shelter or affordable housing in their neighborhood, they come out of the woodwork to oppose it. Everyone wants it in somebody else's neighborhood.

Oddly, the homeless shelter is on the very edge of the city and the neighborhood has gentrified around it.

So there you go, a bone.

1. profile image0

Yes, many well-to-do liberals are just as snooty as conservatives about keeping low-cost housing away from their neighborhoods.

1. Sharlee01 profile image89

I must say I appreciate that bone... I appreciate how candid you can be.

Well, what's interesting is that if you really examine this issue, it boils down to this: people will buy a house near a homeless shelter voluntarily, but they don't like it when somebody else decides for them that a homeless shelter should be in their neighborhood.

And between the two neighborhoods, I would say real estate prices in the neighborhood without the homeless shelter are higher, but it definitely has not stopped housing prices from increasing in the neighborhood with the homeless shelter. They're quite high in both areas.

1. Sharlee01 profile image89

I have noted the same. We have area]'s of Detroit that many have moved to and rehabbed old structures , and the homeless were moved to the surrounding city, and could in no respect afford 'Downtown".  However, we have witnessed the opposite in the suburbs where low-cost apartments and what they call condos were built especially in areas where mainly single homes.

At one point it just becomes financial, and the need to escape the city.  It is a fact that we need low-cost housing, but I think there should be a solution that will suit all involved. I feel like my husband and I worked hard to get our educations, worked hard to make sure we could invest in a home that would keep its value. A community where our taxes give us what we desire, and is less congested. I guess in a way I feel is leave us some open spaces, a slower pace, a smaller community offers all of the above. We lived in the city for years and liked it to an extent. But became tired of the problem of living on top of each other, and wanted the perks of the better schools for our children.  Can't say I would be happy if low-cost housing were to be built in our neck of the woods.

2. Live to Learn profile image61
    Live to Learnposted 3 years ago

Please share your source, including context.  I think this probably refers to BLM which, from all video footage I've seen, is a bunch of young white liberals rioting and looting.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?475726-1/ … -minnesota

So are you worried about the black refugees flooding your neighborhood or not?

1. Live to Learn profile image61
        Live to Learnposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I'm not a suburban woman. I'm not an urban woman. I will say if Ilhan Omar is indicative of the Somali refugee frame of mind, if they want to relocate refugees to my sleepy little town I'd prefer they choose people with a less hostile mindset.

1. profile image0

Sounds like his strategy is working on some people.

1. Live to Learn profile image61
            Live to Learnposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That statement implies it is working on me. The more accurate take on the statement is Ilhan Omar's statements and actions are working on me.

But, I know you so I know why you appear to have purposely ignored the intent.

Which specific statements from Rep. Omar have worked on you? I know Fox News gets pretty worked up about her and I know that QAnon gal in Georgia used a machine gun to shoot a picture of her and many have openly suggested violence against her. What has she said to invite such vitriol?

I know President Trump'l political opponents are often accused of responding with nastiness, so I can point to the "grab 'em by the pu**y" as a reason for that kind of vitriol. Has Omar said such things too?

Can't speak for LtL, but her utopian Green New Deal comes to mind, as does the idiotic idea of defunding police along with tearing down "systems of oppression that exist in housing, in education, in health care, in employment, [and] in the air we breathe.”  Her demand that we “guarantee homes for all" is what brought on the recession once; she would repeat the process.  Her call for open borders, and calling immigration policies "white nationalism" might come into play here as well. 

There is much more, but that might make a good start.  The woman is an idiot when it comes to running a country, and deciding what that country needs and what it should do.

1. profile image0

well, LtL specifically stated Omar, or those of a similar mindset, would not be welcome in her neighborhood. While her ideas might be "out there" does that mean you would fear her moving to your neighborhood? That was the original topic of discussion.

2. crankalicious profile image87

I'd like actual quotes rather than your paraphrasing of what you think she believes. That all sounds like Fox News paraphrasing to me. We keep hearing about "defunding the police". That does not mean get rid of the police. It means fund the police to they can focus on the things they are trained to do rather than things they are not trained to do.

No, that's what you mean by "defunding police".  Others, including Omar, have a very different definition.  One has only to look at her comments about Minneapolis Police Dept., where she demanded that it be dismantled.

"The Minneapolis Police Department have proven themselves beyond reform.

It's time to disband them and reimagine public safety in Minneapolis."

https://cnsnews.com/article/washington/ … themselves

Another on "homes for all": "No one in the wealthiest county in the world should be forced to sleep on the streets.

Today I am introducing the Homes for All Act, a bold 21st century vision to build 12 million new public & affordable housing units and guarantee housing as a human right."

(notice that includes foreign citizens in the country illegally: we shall have to pay to house them, too, to the tune of one Trillion.)

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news … immigrants

2. GA Anderson profile image83

"We keep hearing about "defunding the police. That does not mean getting rid of the police"

Sooo . . . we hear organization spokefolks, (BLM comes to mind—#defundthepolice) say exactly that; "defund the police, abolish the police, create new community-organized police, but that isn't what they really mean? I disagree, and I think any other explanation is an apologist's one.

GA

3. GA Anderson profile image83

"The woman is an idiot when it comes to running a country, and deciding what that country needs and what it should do."

I agree, relative to Rep. Omar, but, to be fair, there are just as many anti-Omar idiots that shouldn't get any face-time either.

Both sides have idiots among them. It isn't fair to just pick on the other side's idiots just because they disagree with our side's idiots. ;-0

GA

I'm not sure why wanting housing and health care for people makes one an idiot. I would certainly like to hear from her how she expects to pay for that little endeavor. Is that idiocy or greed? Or is it simply communism?

Having ideas I disagree with doesn't make one an idiot. An ability to express oneself only in one syllable words and to get one's ideas solely from Fox News and QAnon newsletters seems like more of an idiot to me.

2. wilderness profile image95

Very true, but the topic was Omar.  Not a general "you" or any other specific person.

2. profile image0

You just stated you would not welcome Omar or people of her "mindset" in your neighborhood. Sounds pretty clear cut to me.

Like Crank, I am also curious as to what would cause you to openly say you would discriminate against her and people like her. You see, not welcoming a group of people because of a real or perceived group characteristic is the very definition of discrimination.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)