"Mr. Man" Donald Trump. Medal of Freedom recipient Rush Limbaugh.

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (12 posts)
  1. PrettyPanther profile image82
    PrettyPantherposted 2 weeks ago

Rush Limbaugh: 'Mr. Man' Trump Will 'Have Fun' With 'Gay Guy' Buttigieg Kissing His Husband

"Then they're sitting there and they're looking at Mayor Pete, a 37-year-old gay guy, mayor of South Bend, loves to kiss his husband on the debate stage," Limbaugh said. "And they're saying, 'Okay. How's that going to look, a 37-year-old gay guy kissing his husband on stage next to Mr. Man, Donald Trump? What's gonna happen there?'"

"They gotta be looking at that," Limbaugh added. "They've gotta be saying that despite all the great progress and despite all the great wokeness and despite all the great ground that's been covered, America's still not ready to elect a gay guy kissing his husband on the debate stage president. They have to be saying this, don't they?"

Newsweek reached out to Buttigieg's campaign for comment but did not receive a response in time

Limbaugh's reference to Trump as "Mr. Man" quickly became a trending topic on social media as the radio personality was criticized for his homophobic remarks.

https://www.newsweek.com/rush-limbaugh- … nd-1487091

Thoughts?

1. Randy Godwin profile image91
      Randy Godwinposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

I despise Limbaugh. It's a shame he received a medal meant for good people who help the country in some manner instead of creating division between the citizens,

2. Ken Burgess profile image92
      Ken Burgessposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

I think that type of talk and that type of attack may work in Mayor Pete's favor.

Hard to find solid info on what the American population thinks about it, but I did find this from Pew:

Americans are becoming more accepting in their views of LGBT people and homosexuality in general, and the number of people identifying as LGBT has grown in recent years. For example, 63% of Americans said in 2016 that homosexuality should be accepted by society, compared with 51% in 2006.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 … americans/

It appears roughly 60-65% of Americans have no issue with it.

Roughly 35-40% of them do.

Of course being "ok" with a person's sexual orientation and being "ok" with such a person being President is another matter, so perhaps to be conservative on that one should stick with 60% rather than 65%.

It would be interesting... we have a solid 25% of Americans that would rather vote Kim Il Sung for President rather than Trump.  And it appears that you have 40% of America that would automatically reject Mayor Pete just because of his open sexual orientation.

Either way, it demeans Rush, not Mayor Pete, to be attacking the issue in such an uncouth manner.

LImbaugh's job is to demean himself and piss off the Left at the same time. It's time to do away with MOF if such liars are selected for the one-time honorable award.

2. GA Anderson profile image91
        GA Andersonposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

Ken, I hitched onto your comment because I agree with your last statement:

"Either way, it demeans Rush, not Mayor Pete, to be attacking the issue in such an uncouth manner."

And I also think your division percentages are probably fair. But I have to wonder if his comment is wrong, relative to a small percentage of voters.

I don't think it matters to Trump supporters—they will stick with him whether they agree with Rush or not. And I don't think it matters to any LBGTQ-supportive voters—they were never going to vote for Trump anyway.

But is there a segment of Independent voters that feel as Rush described? As you said, it is one thing to be generally accepting, but a different thing to be accepting when it is shoved in your face.

Would the 'bathroom' controversy be an analogous thought? Most folks probably didn't care what bathroom anyone used, but when it was shoved onto the national stage . . . they seemed to care a little more.

We all know I am a dinosaur. And even I have accepted LBGTQ legitimacy. But I would still prefer not to see it displayed 'in my face'.

Of course, I can't and won't defend that feeling, and I do combat it, but it is still real. Could it be I am the only one in the nation to be in this position?

I think it would be politically smarter for Buttigieg to not do it onstage.

GA

1. PrettyPanther profile image82
          PrettyPantherposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

I admire and appreciate your honesty, so I'm going to try to be gentle. ;-)

Would you let your discomfort with Mayor Pete showing affection to his husband onstage, in the same manner that other candidates do, negatively affect your vote?

And when he behaves toward his spouse just like any other candidate would...is that really "shoving it in your face." ?

I gag when Trump attempts to.kiss Melania but I wouldn't characterize his behavior as "shoving it in my face." That's purely my problem .

1. GA Anderson profile image91
            GA Andersonposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

Yep, I knew I should run to my 'safe place' after making that comment. And I appreciate your gentleness.

I am hopeful that I can honestly say it would not affect my vote. But your second question is an example of the point I was making. So I will leave it there.

(yeah, Trump kissing Melania gives me the queasies too)

GA

Trump kissing Ivanka isn't pleasant to observe either.

3. PrettyPanther profile image82
        PrettyPantherposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

Mostly fair.

3. Eastward profile image93
      Eastwardposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

There are plenty of fair criticisms to be made of Pete Buttigieg but his sexual orientation isn't one of them. Limbaugh is just solidifying his position as one of the most repugnant members of the swamp.

4. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

Rush is a panderer & most of all, he is a showman in the tradition P.T. Barnum.  He says what he thinks his audience wants to hear.   If Rush wasn't such a showman, he wouldn't be in business all these years.  However, although there is more acceptance of the LBGTQ community, there are parts of this country where there is little, even no acceptance of the LBGTQ community.

Even in cities such as New York, there are sociocultural communities where being LBGTQ is viewed as an abnormality.  In these communities, there are strong, even strict heterosexual identifications.  Being LBGTQ in these communities is a subject of derision, if not marginalization.  In many parts of the Midwest & South, being LBGTQ is viewed as a mortal transgression.   Yes, most of America isn't ready for an LBGTQ president, just as most of America isn't ready for an atheistic or non-traditional religious president- just sayin' folks.   Most of America can be described as centrist, even mildly conservative.

2. PrettyPanther profile image82
    PrettyPantherposted 2 weeks ago

Where's Jack? He admires Limbaugh and probably thinks he is  worthy of the Medal of Freedom.

Anyone else here think this Medal of Freedom recipient is right that Trump is "Mr. Man" compared to Pete Buttiegieg? Bone spurs versus  military service?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://maven.io/company/pages/privacy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)