If you don't think Barr is Trump's Toady...

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 4 years ago

Do you wonder why Barr is so concerned about Trump's cronies to the extent of getting personally involved in their perils? As the AG is supposed to be the people's legal protector of the law, what business does he have protecting the POTUS instead?

1. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Your perspective requires the thought that his actions are 'only' to protect the president. I have to wonder if everyone shares that perspective.

GA

Randy Godwinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Gus, he's involved himself in several of Trump's cronies cases. Can you give me an example of other cases he's personally involved in?

Are you saying there are none? Is it worth the effort to search for such information?

GA

Depends on how important it is to know...

2. profile image0
          promisemposted 4 years agoin reply to this

At least 1,100 prosecutors and Justice Department officials agree with you. But what do they know?  smile

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra … -for-doing

I read this article this morning, but it will make little impact on Barr's actions I fear.

2. MizBejabbers profile image88
        MizBejabbersposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think that we do share that perspective. I noticed yesterday that Barr was trying to explain himself in such a manner as to back off Trump's butt kissing. I think Barr realizes that he already has fleas from sleeping with the alpha dog. There are already calls for Barr's recall, or whatever they do to get rid of presidential appointees. It doesn't take Trump long to tire of his "friends." Could Barr already find his green pastures being soiled?

More than likely it was planned, Miz. To take the pressure off of both Trump and Barr, as they've both been under scrutiny the last few days, they probably agreed to disagree.

2. GA Anderson profile image89

I think AG Barr is in a no-win situation. Whether he is guilty of being Pres. Trump's "toady." or not, the stain of that charge is enough to challenge any credibility he may or may not have.

On top of that, you are right, we have seen what happens to folks that get on Trump's bad side. Hell, being on that bad side might be a plus for Barr.

At this point, I don't think it is that he is pro-Trump as much as it is that he holds political and legal ideologies that happen to be in-line with the president's claims. But that is only a thought, not a declaration.

Also, it is the impeachment process that would be used to remove him by anyone other than the president.

GA

It remains to be seen if Barr will actually show up for his testimony before the House in a few weeks, Gus. Think he will?

I don't know. What is he there for? What testimony is expected from him? Has he been invited or subpoenaed? Has he already said whether he would show up or not?

As you can see, I don't know anything about what you are talking about, and my friend Google is starting to act a little put-upon. ;-)

GA

Yes, Barr has agreed to appear. He'll be asked all sorts of questions if he shows up.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre … s-n1136076

Thanks for the link. Can't wait to see more politician's pontifications. I have been suffering from withdrawal after the Senate vote.

GA

It will be interesting to see how both the Left and Right approach Barr, Gus. I'll be surprised if they get straight answers to their queries.

2. Sharlee01 profile image79
      Sharlee01posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I know this will set the wrong way with you. But Barr is working for the people in the case of Roger Stone. His crime does not call for 9 years in prison. Precedence would dictate much less time. If Stone is given such a sentence it will certainly point toward bias. The AG needed to step in. Trump's friend or not his crime would not fit the punishment. The prosecutors went overboard even suggesting 9 years.

Just because he is a friend of the president should not mean he should do more time than what would be the norm for such a crime. We have plenty of people from the last administration that lied to Congress, sought to lie to the FISA court, you name it.
      Thet have all been let off the hook. AG Barr just let McCabe he claimed he "lacked candor” under oath. He lied ... So don't be so quick to jump on Barr. he seems to be doing his job without bias.

Just today --- "Judge Jackson now has a request for a new trial based on the unambiguous & self outed bias of the foreperson of the jury, who's also a lawyer, by the way. ‘Madam foreperson, you're a lawyer, you have a duty, an affirmative obligation, to reveal to us when we selected you the existence of these tweets in which you were so harshly negative about the President & the people who support him. Don’t you think we wanted to know that before we put you on this jury.’ Pretty obvious he should (get a new trial). I think almost any judge in the Country would order a new trial, I’m not so sure about Judge Jackson, I don’t know.” Judge Andrew Napolitano, Fox, and Friends."

Trump post from Facebook 2/18

1. profile image0
        promisemposted 4 years agoin reply to this

"His crime does not call for 9 years in prison."

Are you a lawyer or prosecutor? More than 1,000 former prosecutors and DOJ officials say you are wrong.

The Federal Judges Association is calling an emergency meeting to discuss political interference in the courts by Barr and Trump.

Why are you right and they all wrong?

1. Sharlee01 profile image79

I am aware that A national association of federal judges has called an emergency meeting to address growing concerns about the intervention of Justice Department officials and President Donald Trump in politically sensitive cases.

My comment was meant to point out the precedence for punishment in the Stone case.  It is just my opinion based on what I have read in regards to the harsh recommendation that the prosecutors requested in the Stone case.  I have also become aware that the AG has every right to give his formal opinion to state agencies; act as a public advocate if need be. I would think it his job to point out a possible bias if he realizes it,
          and point it out.

Not trying to project I am right and others are wrong.
          Just an opinion on a bit of reading. I hope to learn more when AG Barr testifies in the weeks to come.

Now over 2000 former prosecutors has signed the letter of protest as the prison term fits the crimes Stone committed, Shar. You're in no position to quarrel with the guidelines for the penalties Stone receives. I know you want to be, but...hard cheese.

This all makes me think if Trump did not start the firestorm that Stones verdict, in the end, would have been looked at by the Judge and decreased. In my opinion, the judge will ignore all the hoop- la and give a sentence that is appropriate for a man that has never broken the law is 67 years old, and a none violent crime.  I think she will do her job without bias... And give a lesser sentence. I trust the court to make a prudent decision. I feel with all the factors I mentioned the judge will be lenient.

I hope she ignores Barr and gives him the maximum recommended sentence. Stone has been a criminal for many years and finally got caught. Even then he threatened witnesses and lied to cover it up. He also put crosshairs on the judge's face on a social platform.

And you believe the judge should be lenient? lol

I will be honest. I know little about Stones' past. I have read about the crimes he was convicted of. And I think he should receive the punishment any other person would receive for the same crimes under the same circumstances. As a rule, there is a set amount of time, a judge has the ability to take a few things into consideration. Such as has the person committed other crimes. As  I said,  I think she will do her job without bias, and give a lesser sentence. I trust the judge will be fair and make a prudent decision. I feel with all the factors I mentioned the judge will be lenient. It's just my opinion, not a prediction. She very well might give him the 9 years. If what you say is true and he has lived outside the law for many years. I would guess the judge will give him the max sentence.

I hope so, Shar. Someone has to take a stand against lawlessness.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)