National Strategic Stockpile description has suddenly changed. Why?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (58 posts)
  1. NayNay2124 profile image81
    NayNay2124posted 4 years ago

The description of the National Strategic Stockpile originally was described as "the nation's largest supply of life-saving pharmaceuticals and medical supplies for use in a public health emergency severe enough to cause local supplies to run out."

The description of the national Strategic Stockpile has suddenly changed in the last couple of days to "to supplement state and local supplies during public health emergencies. Many states have products stockpiled, as well. The supplies, medicines, and devices for life-saving care contained in the stockpile can be used as a short-term stopgap buffer when the immediate supply of adequate amounts of these materials may not be immediately available."

Why did this description change and who has the authority to change it?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Can you give links to the before and after?  A link showing who changed the wording would be helpful as well.

2. Sharlee01 profile image89
      Sharlee01posted 4 years agoin reply to this

The two statements appear to have the same contexts. Yes, the wording has been changed.

"The Strategic National Stockpile's role is to supplement state and local supplies during public health emergencies. Many states have products stockpiled, as well. The supplies, medicines, and devices for life-saving care contained in the stockpile can be used as a short-term stopgap buffer when the immediate supply of adequate amounts of these materials may not be immediately available."

Several Dem Senators have asked for the word changes to be investigated. They want to know who ordered the changes.  I would think we have larger problems these senators could be concentrating on.

"TheHill.com
      Democratic senators want probe into the change of national stockpile description
      BY JORDAIN CARNEY - 04/03/20 06:52 PM EDT 2,002

"A group of Senate Democrats want a federal watchdog to investigate the decision to change an online description of the country's Strategic National Stockpile following a press briefing with White House adviser Jared Kushner.

Four Democratic senators sent a letter to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) office of inspector general saying that the change in language — which caught widespread attention on Friday — raised concerns about "potential improper interference ... to advance a political agenda."

"We request that HHS OIG launch an investigation ... to determine whether political appointees in the Trump administration directed the improper use of public resources on behalf of Jared Kushner or other political appointees to alter information on an official Federal agency government website," they wrote in the letter.

Sens. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.), Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii), Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Ed Markey (D-Mass.) signed the letter."

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/491 … escription

ALTHOUGH ---  It would appear the investigation requested by the senators will be a waste of time as well as money.

Ms. Katherine McKeogh, a spokeswoman for HHS said in a statement on Friday, per Politico, that " the updates to the webpage text had been in the works before Kushner spoke at Thursday's briefing"

So, at this point, one must point the finger for the changes in the wording in regard to the National Stockpile, not at J. Kushner but the  Department of Health and Human Services
      (HHS)..

https://www.axios.com/national-stockpil … 905cc.html

"Katherine McKeogh, a spokeswoman for the Department of Health and Human Services, said in a statement Friday that the edits to the stockpile’s webpage had been in the works prior to Kushner’s remarks.

“This is language we have been using in our messaging for weeks now,” McKeogh said. She added that the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response “first began working to update the text a week ago to more clearly explain to state and local agencies and members of the public the role of the [Strategic National Stockpile].”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/0 … rks-163181

2. NayNay2124 profile image81

The Federal Public Health website previously had the description I stated.  It has now been changed.  Please see the present description at the link below

https://www.phe.gov/emergency/events/CO … fault.aspx

I am just trying to understand why it would be changed and who authorizes that if anybody has an answer.

I actually don't see a lot of difference, other than the wording making it plain that it can only be a short term stop-gap solution.  This should be obvious as it does not hold an infinite supply of anything, but I guess some people think it does.

3. NayNay2124 profile image81

I just don't understand if it was created for one purpose in 2003, and has not changed, why the wording change now, and who makes the decision to change it.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The wording was changed after Jarrod Kushner said something different from the original wording. No surprise at all as Jarrod is as honest as his pa-in-law. lol

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics … tockpiles/

What part of the new wording do you find to be false, Randy?

As reporters quickly noted, that didn’t match with how the Department of Health and Human Services was describing the program. On its website, it said, “Strategic National Stockpile is the nation’s largest supply of life-saving pharmaceuticals and medical supplies for use in a public health emergency severe enough to cause local supplies to run out.” It continued to say, "When state, local, tribal, and territorial responders request federal assistance to support their response efforts, the stockpile ensures that the right medicines and supplies get to those who need them most during an emergency.”

Did you even read the changes, Dan?

Yes, it says that.  A statement of what it is and then a statement that says what it is for

You didn't say - which one do you find false?  Did you read the question, Randy?

Yes I did, the wording was changed to match what Kushner said at the interview. You don't see what the difference is? Why did they change the wording, other than it didn't match up with what Jarrod said? Just for the hell of it?

1. Live to Learn profile image60
                Live to Learnposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If the intent is the same what's the problem?

Then why was it changed if it was the same? What was the intent of whoever changed it? To match Kushner's words is the only answer.

I wish nitpicky little questions were at the top of my list of things to worry about these days. I'd feel so much better.

2. wilderness profile image95

"The only answer".  Come on, Randy - leave your imaginary world and come into reality - I could come up with at least a dozen alternatives, although I doubt you would accept any of them because it doesn't give a chance to bash at Trump.  Still, they would be viable alternatives, with at least as much chance of being right as your "only answer" is.

From your post: "No surprise at all as Jarrod is as honest as his pa-in-law.".  I assumed that you found the new wording to be false, else why stick in that sentence?

What part do you find to be false, Randy?  I keep asking but you aren't answering.

Perhaps as a warning that the stockpile cannot supply the needs of the country indefinitely?  That it is only intended for short term use?  That it is not unlimited?

3. Live to Learn profile image60

I would say it may have been changed to clarify that it existed for all states. No reasonable person could have thought it was an infinite supply meant to take care of everyone, everywhere at any given time.

It probably got changed so people can understand that it isn't going to be completely depleted by one state demanding all of the resources. It's there for everyone. So if the state has a need they cannot fill the feds can help. But the state had to attempt to fill their needs first.

Trump could not have answered the query better, Denise. Of course, you didn't end your opinion with, "believe me."

K

The difference between you and I appears to be that I like to see if there is a less than nefarious driver when a statement is made. You, the opposite, when it comes to anything not said by a Democrat.

At least you are 50% kind to your fellow man.

4. NayNay2124 profile image81

I think the American people have right to have an answer to the questions I asked in this post.  It is a major deal when language is changed at will with no explanation to the citizens of this country during a pandemic.  I still have not gotten or found an answer.  Very worrisome.

It seems you and I are the only ones concerned about the abrupt change in wording, NayNay.

1. hard sun profile image78
        hard sunposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Ad me to the list of concerned, for whatever it's worth. I'm not counting on the feds for anything as long as the likes of Trump and his but-kissers are in charge. People saw what they did to Puerto Rico after the disaster there and thought Trump would never do it to "real Muricans." Sorry, he don't care if you're from Kansas or San Juan...just watch his rallies and scream his name while you're alive and have electricity. Then he'll say you are worthy for a minute or two.

And we keep hearing stories of supplies provided during the hurricane found hidden and intact, stolen by Puerto Rican authorities. Stories of wanton waste and corruption in Puerto Rico where funds provided line the pockets of Puerto Rican officials.

Funny how you muricans have a hard time following facts.

2. GA Anderson profile image83
          GA Andersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Have you looked into any of the details of this issue—that might be the reason for your'concern'"?

Surely you are not just letting your disdain for the administration guide your opinion?

Did you know a former Democrat director of the HHS described the change in wording as "just semantics"?

Do you see any difference in the conveyed message of the two definitions? (they both conveyed the same message to me)

Do you really see something sinister in the change in wording—beyond your distrust of this administration?

. . . and, as the cherry on top, did you research the Puerto Rico allegations to be confident in your ". . .  People saw what they did to Puerto Rico after the disaster there " inferred allegation?

You surprised me hard sun, I passed this comment a couple of times until my conscience forced me to come back. It isn't like you to jump on a bandwagon of such unsupported political charges. What changed your mind to do it this time?

GA

and, as the cherry on top, did you research the Puerto Rico allegations to be confident in your ". . .  People saw what they did to Puerto Rico after the disaster there " inferred allegation?

I thoroughly researched this.  It's surprising you haven't.

In case you missed, I feel Trump is a danger to to our nation's very existence so I'm done giving him any benefit just like so many millions were done giving Obama any benefit of the doubt, and are still blaming all Trump's troubles on Obama. --Screw Trump...everything about the man-baby. That's where I'm at...none of the Democrat haters give a damn about the truth. No Trump supporter will admit he does ANYTHING wrong..so why should I give him ANY credit? They fight dirty so those who don't like him are supposed to bend over backward to give him credit?

1. GA Anderson profile image83
              GA Andersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Regarding the SNS, (Strategic National Stockpile), description change my comment wasn't giving Pres. Trump any credit, or benefit of the doubt. The wording did just seem like a semantics argument to me. As noted, both descriptions conveyed the same message, so what could be the reason for the controversy?

Perhaps I didn't look into the Puerto Rico issue as deeply as you, but I did look deep enough to find stories of a warehouse(s?) of hurricane Maria supplies found undistributed 2 years later. And stories about government officials, (3?),  fired for corruption related to that aid, and one story about 32 others charged with aid-related corruption and crimes.

I think there was also a matter of duplication of effort relative to their power grid—two different fund allotments for the same rebuilding purpose.

There was more, but that was enough to warrant, at least, concern about corruption relating to those billions of dollars of aid. As I understood it, the aid wasn't just arbitrarily withheld, it was conditioned with oversight commissions that the Puerto Rican government rejected/resisted.

However, all of that was just to explain why I can see reasons for corruption-concern delays. I can also see the possibility that the Puerto Rican people suffered from these delays due to over-zealous and too severe U.S. actions, (possibly at Pres. Trump's explicit direction), due to the actions of just a few of their government officials.

Either way, I don't think the Puerto Rica issue is non-issue like I think the SNS one is. Hence my question about why you were concerned about it.

GA

You do know about the golf resort there Trump was involved with, right Gus? It may explain why Trump didn't really want to help PR that much. His pettiness is something else...

2. hard sun profile image78

I'm concerned about everything Trump does...he's a televangelist and I don't like those guys.  I take the word of a couple of trusted people who live in Puerto Rico on what went down there.

One can see you are very angry. And I realize it must be very hard to hear anything negative about Obama. But facts speak loudly. Take for instance of the National Stockpiles that should have been kept up to pare. They were lacking. And Trump has been criticized for the lack of supplies And yes he is as responsible as Obama for not fixing that problem.

You need not give credit, but why belittle a job well done?  You have offered your opinion of Trump supporters. Here is a mine of some Dem. Because I don't lump all in one "deplorable basket". H. Clinton.

I see many Dems as bitter, unrealistic, and many have skewed thought processes. Literally unable to accept facts they find simply goes against their views. Many are belligerent, rude, and unable to have a conversation that they don't add Trump's name in a disparaging insult. It seems some feel it is their opinion alone matters. Much of the time they are negative and project "what if" scenarios. They appear pleased at all costs to prove their view. For instance, seeing Trump fail in the handling of this virus crisis, not actually considering if he fails, more die...  And then there is the big problem with disregarding and or twisting facts to suit their views.

As you can see, I have my view of what I consider your thought process. However, I would never, I mean never shared it. You and others like you share it right here daily, and maybe don't even realize you are doing it.

Well, ya just got a bit of what you dish out. And, it's long overdue.

So when you put me into a basket of "Democrat haters" be ready to be reminded who is being hateful... When you make a statement
              They "fight dirty". That's you and yours. I very rarely see anyone but Dems getting rude on this small forum. That is just a fact.

Have a look at some of your comments as well as some of your other proud Dems.  Just have a look. 

No one has asked you to bend over, to be truthful I for one have little to no respect for your opinion, due to your lack of respect for others.

GA, and I pointed out facts. The conversation cornered you,  and came out hysterically swinging. You did not answer questions or address facts. You diverted to insulting Trump supporters as well as Trump. As I said you just can't help yourself.

Just look at how this conversation progressed. Have a look who became hateful, and lashed out to direct blame. That was you.

1. tsadjatko profile image68
                tsadjatkoposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Sharlee, an excellent description of Trump derangement syndrome!

The Democrat party was called liberals till that label became a bad word so they changed it to progressives which now has unmistakably been replaced with TDSyndromocrats!

Upset about someone disparaging your hero again...the cult rises...and the cult will be criticized till the end. Promise.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

"Just look at how this conversation progressed. Have a look who became hateful, and lashed out to direct blame. That was you."

Remind you of anyone in the Oval Office, Shar?  Someone you'd defend to the limit?

1. Sharlee01 profile image89

At this point, I was addressing Hard Sun attitude where he is directing attributes towards others here on HP. He opened a door, and it's time he receives a bit of what he felt he had the right to give. It goes to ways.

I was addressing the point of you accepting such behavior from the leader of the free world, but not here. Anyone who can condone Trump's behavior, and even defend him so often, shouldn't let a few harsh words bother them in the least, Shar.

3. profile image0
                PrettyPantherposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Both sides dish it out regularly, but one side frequently complains about being insulted, as though they are special.

Bingo! And, it's going to take some hard-hardheadedness to defeat the Trump cult. I'm game. My children's future is at stake here with this anti-intellectual snake-oil salesman hijacking our nation. People should be angry..and they are. Just like people were angry when we had our first minority President.

4. hard sun profile image78

Yup. You did it again. Called my a hypocrite, etc..and then played the victim card. It's from the Trump playbook. I sure can dish it out...just like Trump, our President and his followers who get triggered and angry every time anyone questions our President. He is OUR President right? I can criticize our President...and I will. Have fun..I know I sure will.

Notice how I insult Trump and his supporters take it as a personal insult. That's telling. I'm very comfortable with my views and how I express them. I'm not comfortable with how Trump expresses his views...this makes Trump supporters uncomfortable. Cult-like.

1. profile image0
                  PrettyPantherposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Spot on.

I made my point, and you laughably just proved me so right...

"It's from the Trump playbook. I sure can dish it out...just like Trump, our President and his followers who get triggered and angry every time anyone questions our President. "

"--Screw Trump...everything about the man-baby. That's where I'm at...none of the Democrat haters give a damn about the truth. No Trump supporter will admit he does ANYTHING wrong..so why should I give him ANY credit? They fight dirty so those who don't like him are supposed to bend over backward to give him credit?"

"Democrat haters" I now they just don't "give a damn about the truth". "They fight dirty"  All seems pretty preachy to me.

I gave you just as good as you gave... I realize I over spoke, just like you did. I did exactly what you did speak my mind.  Let me guarantee you it could have been much worse. I feel pretty much as discussed with some on the left as you feel on the right. Imagine that...and believe it.

How I see it, you spoke your mind, I spoke mine.

"I feel pretty much as discussed with some on the left as you feel on the right."

What? You think we're talking about you behind your back, Shar?  yikes

2. hard sun profile image78

I'm done with the Trump cult...that's what we need a vaccine for. Crazy.

3. Sharlee01 profile image89

I know I should not, but here I go...  I assume you have read both the old as well as new wording for the National Stockpile.  What word or words are you having a problem with? How do you think these words change context of the document?

In my opinion, it purveys the same meaning.
          Perhaps much more precise.

I must ask, do you feel the Government is not stepping up financially to help citizens and businesses during this time of crisis?  In my opinion, they have left no stone unturned.

In regard to Kansas and San Juan.

GUAYNABO, Puerto Rico – FEMA has awarded $61 million in additional funds to Puerto Rico to cover costs related to Hurricane María. These awards bring the amount of funds obligated under FEMA's Public Assistance program to $5.4 billion.

It seems like a pretty good chunk of cash.

The statement was clarified.

"Ms. Katherine McKeogh, a spokeswoman for HHS said in a statement on Friday, per Politico, that " the updates to the webpage text had been in the works before Kushner spoke at Thursday's briefing"

"Katherine McKeogh, a spokeswoman for the Department of Health and Human Services, said in a statement Friday that the edits to the stockpile’s webpage had been in the works prior to Kushner’s remarks.

“This is language we have been using in our messaging for weeks now,” McKeogh said. She added that the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response “first began working to update the text a week ago to more clearly explain to state and local agencies and members of the public the role of the [Strategic National Stockpile].”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/0 … rks-163181

2. Live to Learn profile image60

Although I'm confused why this matters so much to you I will say that, in the past, when we've tried to find out when the change and why the change for wording in government documents no one seems to be able to answer it with a definitive response.

Which is a head scratcher to me. A bunch of bureaucrats should be able to easily say when something changed and who changed it. The why is something they probably wouldn't know.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)