First Successful Legislative Filibuster Mounted By the GOP Minority

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (72 posts)
  1. Sharlee01 profile image84
    Sharlee01posted 2 years ago

https://hubstatic.com/15573745_f1024.jpg
    The GOP Held Strong Using The First Filibuster To Stop The Democrats  Cold In Their Tracks

May 28, 2021 ---  "Senate Republicans on Friday halted an effort to form a bipartisan Jan. 6 commission to investigate the Capitol attack, marking the first successful legislative filibuster mounted by the GOP minority.

The legislation needed 60 votes Friday to overcome a GOP filibuster, but Republicans blocked the legislation from advancing during a procedural vote. The vote was 54 to 35. Just six Republicans joined with Democrats: Sens. Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Mitt Romney of Utah, Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, Ben Sasse of Nebraska, and Rob Portman of Ohio."

The House already passed legislation on May 19 to form the independent panel with support from 35 Republicans, despite opposition from former President Trump and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif.

But the legislation faced an uphill climb in the 50-50 split Senate, with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., also opposing the commission. McConnell argued there are already enough investigations into the Jan. 6 attack. " Sorce --   https://www.foxnews.com/politics/senate … pitol-riot

Do you think we will see Biden's agenda fail due to the filibuster?

Will we see the GOP filibuster all Joe's grandiose plans for America?

Will using the filibuster to stop Biden's far-left agenda perhaps protect America's democracy in the end?

Actually, do you think Joe pretty much knew most of his campaign promises were never going to see the light of day but pandered with offering promises he knew were dead in the water due to the filibuster?

1. Credence2 profile image77
      Credence2posted 2 years agoin reply to this

This is an example why the filibuster must be removed and the GOP plowed down like grass on my lawn. With Republican obstruction nothing can be accomplished, I am with Bernie, let's dispense with it.

https://news.yahoo.com/manchin-republic … 33406.html

Even the DINO, Joe Manchin of West Virginia, may now recognize the futility of trying to negotiate with Republicans.

Sharlee01posted 2 years agoin reply to this

McConnell has repeatedly made the statement that he wants to move past January 6, and argued that it would be a "purely political exercise." There are very few in the GOP that would argue the insurrection was inexcusable, and that the message Trump was presented to citizens may have attributed to the riot. However, would be hard to prove intent.

Today Mitch stated-    "The Department of Justice is deep into a massive criminal investigation," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) countered. "I do not believe the additional, extraneous 'commission' that Democratic leaders want would uncover crucial new facts or promote healing. Frankly, I do not believe it is even designed to." 

Many more Republicans have raised concerns about the structure and scope of the bill, and they are worried it was meant to extend beyond its deadline and affect the 20 elections and become a well-planned cudgel for the Democrats.  — despite the promises that the commission would wrap up its work by the end of the year.

The Republicans certainly showed good reasons upfront for not supporting the investigation.  IMO we should move past an investigation, and realize we have many other pressing problems on our plate. Very serious problems, that the Government hopes to take our eyes and ears off.

So do we really need another investigation by Congress when the DOJ is doing an extensive investigation on what occurred on Jan 6th? Maybe Congress should settle in and solve some of the countries current problems. Perhaps tackle a good infrastructure bill or tackle the immigration problems that are clearly growing worse over the past 12 years. We need to have Congress have a look at our failing educational system. And how about getting to the bottom of what kind of virus we are dealing with that killed over 3 million people? Was it man-made, perhaps meant to be a weapon created by China?  Orr how about the stats on Fentynal making its way into America, the stats are historical, unbelievable...  https://hubpages.com/politics/forum/352 … ur-borders

But the media just does not feel you need to know those numbers. I mean Joe claims it all being handled. Are you aware of the number of migrants that are making their way in daily?.  And let me not forget rising crime --- Have a look at some stats
        https://www.aol.com/news/poll-more-amer … 31184.html

My God in reality all of what I have listed are far more important problems than a riot at the Capitol.  All of the problems I list are serious problems that affect American citizens.  The Capitol means very little to me...  This Congress needs to do the job they were sent to Washington to do ---  to solve problems that affect us all, and set priorities. 

Let's face it we have some really big growing problems, and the Jan 6th  riot is being handled by the department it should be handled by  --- the DOJ.   The media has put up smoke screens to keep you busy, better make your way out of the smoke, and have a look-see what's really going on.

In regard to Manchin will vote whichever way he is told to vote, one only needs to note he always holds off until the very end to announce his vote. He does this to kiss up to his base, and those in his state that are conservative. He is a politician that always projects --- I tried, I did my best but had to vote the way I did..... An old well-used ploy.  He is hanging on by his teeth in his West Virginia. His seat is one of the most vulnerable seats, and he lost some of his base in  2018. He won by a smaller margin than his previous run. He is on thin ice. So who knows if he would go along with canning the filibuster.

What is evident, America has serious problems and a do-nothing president. He seeking to make more problems with his flighty policies.

Sharlee, of course Mc Connell wants to move on. He is protecting his partisan flank. His opinion means less than nothing for me particularly considering the way he has behaved over the last few years.

America has serious problems, yes, and the fact that unwashed rightwing oriented mobs can storm the Capitol, threaten lives, all while it is in session IS a serious problem. It is more than just a riot. Manchin recognizes obstinate and pointless resistance when he sees it. I hope he is smart enough to not continue to play into GOP hands. The Capitol represents the government and rule by law which the hillbillies desecrate in protest over legitimate process.So, no, Sharlee, I don't buy it.

I have to evaluate and grade Biden on his performance point by point. For right now, he is the President legitimately elected by both popular vote and the Electoral College. If he fails, you will remove him in 2024, or swap Congress with GOP majorities in 2022. I am for Biden and his agenda, and will support him in the direction that it is successful.

What I see is that the Republicans are dastardly and dishonest in almost everything they soil with their grubby hands.

In spite of what your opinion is about Biden, mine remains quite the contrary

2. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I think what you will see is the elimination of the filibuster. the democrats have the legislative votes to strike it. (I think?).

GA

All it takes will take is a simple majority vote in the Senate to rid Congress of the filibuster — and this can be done at any time. Will the Democrats take the gamble of canning the filibuster?  I would think with the problems the current administration is having it certainly would be is a huge gamble, and could very well backfire depending on what bill gets pushed through due to doing away with the filibuster. And if they go down the path of pushing through all the grandiose policies on their wish list it could be a giant nail in their coffin in 2024. I take the Dems, as a rule, to be good at strategy, so will they gamble on such a far-left agenda? Maybe, it will be interesting to see if they kill the filibuster, and I would think we don't have long to wait. I won't go out on a limb and predict, you're a brave man, Mr. GA.   The Democratic party has become somewhat unpredictable post-Trump. so you might be correct in your prediction.

I will predict if they do go so far as to get rid of the filibuster it will cause lots of unrest, and a Republican win in 2024. Maybe this is what the country needs to wake up from a long sleep.

1. peoplepower73 profile image89
          peoplepower73posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Sharlee:  Do you have any idea how bad it makes the GOP look by not cooperating with the investigation?  Their efforts to block the  investigation is a pure admission of guilt because they are afraid of what it is going to uncover..  They are protecting their own kind and Trump because they have placed their chances for re-election above all else. 

We as tax payers pay for their salaries to make laws that are in our best interest, not theirs.  All they are doing is making laws and policies that benefit big moneyed interest that fund their campaigns.  That's why they don't want Biden to raise cooperate taxes. They are beholden to the money, not us.

They are going to their constituents to continue the lie that the election was stolen. They love to continue that conspiracy, but refuse to investigate the root cause of the insurrection. How friggin hypocritical can they be?

1. wilderness profile image94
            wildernessposted 2 years agoin reply to this

LOL  Democrats have put enormous effort, time and resources in attempting to remove Trump from the political area...and failed miserably both times.  And you complain that Republicans don't cooperate in yet another effort?  How friggin hypocritical can liberals be when their goal is so obvious?  Any extra "investigation" into the riot at the capital (there was no "insurrection" there any more than there was one in Seattle) is being called for to prevent Trump from running again.  And that is as obvious as the "D" after the names calling for it.

I am so sick of hearing about the Jan 6 riot. The Congress was back in the building hours after the protest, there was b=very little damage. The people of Portland that lost businesses can't say the same. In fact, these fools are still in portland nightly making trouble. I just hope the Republicans continue to push back on every crazy bill that is put in front of them.

We have always had riots throughout this nation's history, but never has the Capitol building been attacked and the very governance placed under threat.

We have never had 100 straight days (nights) of violent rioting in a city before.  But we have had the capital building occupied before...and without calling it an "insurrection".

When was the Capitol building occupied and attacked without the consent of those officials that are supposed to be there, 1814?

That wasn't a prediction as much as it was a look-back at modern politics. Both sides have "resorted" to using a `Nuclear Option',—and have gotten away with it.

GA

I stand corrected you did say 'I think".  On the surface, I could agree. However, I think at this point in our history politicians on both sides are going to be unpredictable. Not all that sure the Democrats have the votes. I would also, think with so much negativity going on in the country the Democrats may opt to go with whichever way the wind is blowing. It will also depend on what bill or should I say agenda they are trying to push through. 

For instance, I already hear rumblings of inflation getting worse, and not sure people in either party would be pleased with bills full of flaky earmarks when milk prices have doubled as well as gas prices.  I guess we will see who has the stuffing to stand behind fluff and maybe lose their own comfortable seat in the Capitol. 

This will be a very interesting 4 years.

3. Sharlee01 profile image84

Back to the threads subject ----

For Democrats, GOP filibuster of Jan. 6 commission raises some new questions...

A Republican filibuster Friday of an independent commission to investigate the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol sparked outrage among Senate Democrats ranging from Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer to centrist West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin.

It was the first bill to die by a minority filibuster in the era of President Joe Biden, which carries warning signs for the rest of his agenda in the Senate, where Democrats are in charge but need 10 Republicans to move most legislation under the existing rules.

Democrats have the power to change those rules but lack the unanimity it would require of the 50-member caucus. And when the Senate returns from a weeklong Memorial Day recess, Schumer appears ready to test his members.

He promised votes on the Paycheck Fairness Act and a bill that includes the proposition that the Federal Gov started making our voting laws... A huge Democrat blanket that would dictate our voting rights — this bill has a viable path to a majority vote but not 60 to defeat a filibuster.

Any thoughts on what you think will happen with this bill?

Sharlee:  This is an update to my previous reply.  I wrote that at 10 p.m. last night.  I must have been sleepy.  Nice segway by the way, just ignore my reply.  Here is where we left off.

M-Not one republican office holder objecting to Biden’s victory have objected to their own wins, on the same day, on the same ballots, using the same election system.  How do you explain that?
        This is your reply to my question:
        S-I certainly can't explain why the Republicans that won did not speak up or if some did?

M-I don’t think you understand how profound that statement is and the logic behind it. The republicans who ran for office and won were on the same ballots that they are now claiming were used in voter fraud and stealing the election.  Therefore, if the recount shows there was voter fraud, it invalidates their win as well because they won by voters using the same ballots they claim are illegal. Their votes are on the same piece of paper…do you get it now?  They didn’t speak up as you say because they don’t want to invalidate their votes.  Do you realize how absurd this is? The same ballots that got Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Bobert elected are the same ones that they claim are illegal.

2. Sharlee01 profile image84

" Do you have any idea how bad it makes the GOP look by not cooperating with the investigation? "

I made myself clear the DOJ is doing an investigation as is the FBI.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic … e-n1266580

In my view, Congress has enough on its plate than investigating a
    true crime. In regard to the GOP looking quilty, that would be your opinion, as you see by my previous comment we disagree.  I feel as Mitch does the Dem's are hoping to along with the media to divert American's way from the mess Biden is making of the country. They should concentrate on doing their job, not throwing up smoke screens to feed liberals. I was a citizen worry about the economy, crime, immigration problems... If they want to investigate something how about a virus out of CHINA that has killed million! Liberals always make me shake my head.  Jan 6th is passed, we have the FBI as well as the DOJ making sure every aspect of the day is being investigated. We don't need a bunch of talking heads politicking on our dime.

" They are protecting their own kind and Trump because they have placed their chances for re-election above all else. "

This could be part of it, the Rep certainly did learn that many American's appreciate Trumpism. They are starting to take plays from the Dem's playbook. I find this amusing. There is no shortage of Hypocrisy when it comes to Congress (on both sides).

Yes, we all pay for Congress to pass laws, you might want to slow your jets and realize many of us stand behind Mitches decision to block an added investigation of the Jan 6 protest due to it being overkill, and clearly political. Not to pension a waste of time and taxpayers money.

IMO the country is in trouble with this due to the Biden administration. This administration hopefully steps up to face the many brewing problems. We are crashing and burning at warp speed.  I am very thankful that the Republicans are standing firm on all the crazy that the Democrats are putting on the table. I have faith they will continue to stand strong.

I know we disagree, however, I have been honest and shared my opinion.

3. peoplepower73 profile image89
    peoplepower73posted 2 years ago

Sharlee:  So in other words, getting to the root cause of the attack on the Capital and the people is not worth the time and it is nothing more than a smoke screen put up by liberals to protect Biden. And we should move on from January 6. 

But it's O.K. for Trump supporters to continue the conspiracy theory of the stolen election and continue counting votes. Do you expect Biden to step down as president if they find there was real voter fraud?... which their isn't.

If you would watch the real news instead of MAGA news, you would know that Biden is calling for an investigation to find the root cause of the virus.  He is giving them 90 days.

We already know the root cause of the capital riot; months and months of liberals making it clear as glass that it is not only all right to riot and destroy but actually encouraged.  Even the real insurrection in Seattle (where some of the city was occupied for days without any govt. entity, including police and fire, allowed in) was ignored; why not this one?  Just because liberals label it an "insurrection" designed to "take over the government"?

Do you actually know a single Trump supporter that thinks the election was "stolen" somehow?  I'd guess that I know more supporters than you do and not a one thinks that.  100% of them, in fact, think Trump simply threw a tantrum and made a fool of himself when liberals refused to make any investigation even after hearing eyewitness testimony of fraud.  Because we all know that it would not have changed the election without investigating anything, after all. 

Biden has re-opened Trump's investigation into Wuhan, the one he canceled as soon as he hit office.  He apparently does not trust WHO, although he DID claim that we should leave it all up to them when he took office.  There is another thread where that is brought out (I posted it a day or two ago) and Sharlee acknowledged that she had already heard it.  It is interesting, though, that he thinks he can accomplish anything in China, with the Chinese government actively hiding whatever they can, in 90 days when it took a year to figure out that Trump did not collude with Putin.

2. Sharlee01 profile image84

"Sharlee:  So in other words, getting to the root cause of the attack on the Capital and the people is not worth the time and it is nothing more than a smoke screen put up by liberals to protect Biden. And we should move on from January 6. "

I trust the FBI and DOJ will get to the bottom of the motive, many have been arrested and charged, and actually offered their own explanations on why they decided to join in on that day. Not sure what you are looking for?  And yes I think the Democrats have found themselves very quickly drowning in problems with a man that made promises that were unrealistic, and they fully realize they are not going to be able to push any of them through Congress. Free free free, it has backfired.

I have no idea what Trump supporters are doing. I have moved on, as has said time after time --- we have a new president, and at this point, I can add a failing president.  I don't care about what happened in the last election, I am more worried about future voting laws, and hope to keep the decision-making on those laws in the states. I do not approve of the Fed Gov dictating voting laws with a big old blanket!

I have no idea what would happen if widespread fraud is proven.
      At this point, I guess Congress would need to step up and handle such a mess. Our history gives up no precedent to fall back on. I would hope at best if fraud is found whatever methods were used could be pointed out, and our laws changed so these methods could not be initiated ever
      again.

I am fully aware he has once again called for a 90-day investigation on a very big problem that needs immediate attention. You would laugh if you knew how many 90 day committees Biden has in the works... Laughable. He can't solve the problem. He uses the old old Den handbook --- just tell them you are putting together a committee to have a look at the problem, and they will be getting back to you. Yeah, that will do the trick...  Come on...

As I have told you I don't watch talk jocks, and you should give some thought to doing the same.

Were you aware of China locking down a city of 15 million yesterday due to what they are saying is a COVID uptick? At least that is what we are being told... Wonder if that's true? I recall how they hid the outbreak of COVID 19 and pretty much has cost millions of their lives.  One must do research to find real news because the two propaganda networks just report what they want you to be aware of. You know what flavor of ice cream Joe had today.  I will be keeping an eye on a virus outbreak in China. To me, this just overrides the Jan 6th protest at the Capitol. Just saying. So much happening, and so little coverage. That should get you a bit concerned.  Are you aware of the true numbers pouring in at our border or that more fentanyl has been confiscated n Joe's first 4 months than all of 2020? Have you checked out drug overdoses in Joe's first 5 months?  I am trying to make a point, we have a hot mess going on in the country, and I don't care about Trump or what he may have done.  And we just have a man in the White House that is ill equipt to solve problems, and the entire world realizes this, but some of our own citizens just can't bring themselves to see the mess we are in.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/wor … 058736.cms

Much of China reminds me of India; the news is reporting that the pandemic in India is much worse than reported, because India has no idea of how many got ill or died in much of the country.  With no medical care, millions upon millions of people simply get sick, and perhaps die, without anyone in government knowing about it.  I can't imagine the rural areas of China being any different.

Guangzhou, a business and industrial center of 15 million people. I find it odd that this story was even permitted out of China.  Feels like more than meets the eye.   China lies, this report is odd.   The source was claimed to be spokesmen from China's Health Authorities. 

Breaking on a Saturday the story is getting little more than a mention.  I was just Checking The India Times to check out how they were doing with COVID.

Let's say a football coach says to his team and to their fans, if we lose the game then it is rigged. So they lose the game and what do the fans and the team do, they attack the football commissioner and his staff for rigging the game. Not only do they do that, but they force the staff to change the rules of the game so that they win every time. Now, the other teams want the team to be investigated, but they refuse to do it because they want to move on because the super bowl is coming up and that is more important to them.

That's precisely what has happed with the attack on the Capital and is still happening to this day.

Fact: Trump beat his drum for months with his rallies, social media, and MAGA news, if he lost the election then it was rigged.

Fact: Trump incited the riot and attack of the congress that was certifying the votes. Their motive was to stop the certification process, but instead, they killed and wounded several people.

Fact:  Trump supporters are still counting ballots and governors are redistricting and creating voter suppression laws to change the outcome of the next election in their favor.

Fact:  The GOP doesn't want a 911 style commission to investigate what happened because they know it will affect their chances for re-election.

Fact: There are two Qanon members now in congress who participated in the riot. Marjorie Taylor Green and Lauren Boebert who believe the conspiracy theory that liberals are trafficking children to gain world power. In addition, both of them are now spreading anti-Semitic tropes. 

Fact:  This is the core of the GOP that is ruled by Trump.  They have cheated and lied to stay in power.

Fact:  Trump has admitted that he plays to people's fantasies to influence their thinking.  He is so good at it, he still has power over his core of the GOP, including Mitch McConnell.

Opinion: Trump supporters and Biden haters want to move on because they are afraid of the consequences that has been wrought on this country by one Donald J. Trump.

So they point to what they believe and expect as the downfall of Biden as being more important than an investigation of the root cause of the attack on the Capital to prevent it from ever happening again. When in fact, it is a cover-up for what Trump has caused for them not getting re-elected.

A very odd analogy that literally fits what the Dems did pre-election as well as after the election. This election was irregular in the fact that ten states and jurisdictions proactively sent out unrequested ballots, some for the first time due to the coronavirus pandemic, approximately 44.2 million unregistered voters in total. So in regard to your analogy --- the game rules were changed, and confusion was created due to the changes the other team put forth.

I don't agree that there in any respect we need a third investigation, let's just leave the investigation to law enforcement...   This is just another foolish witchhunt that as I said is nothing but a pile of feed to keep liberal's heads spinning.  I prefer to have our law enforcement agencies do the investigation, that's what they are paid for. Your argument to me is a very weak argument.

"Fact: There are two Qanon members now in congress who participated in the riot. Marjorie Taylor Green and Lauren Boebert believe the conspiracy theory that liberals are trafficking children to gain world power. In addition, both of them are now spreading anti-Semitic tropes."

Do you have proof of this? My gosh, this is a ridiculous statement. It could be compared to me calling AOC  a member of the Communist party...  You are making accusations that are purely that --- accusations that hold on factual evidence.

I regard Trump proclaiming the election as fraudulent, this is a factual statement. However, there is no way of connecting him to ordering an insurrection. This is impossible to prove.  He tried up a crowd of citizens, there is no evidence he ordered a riot. In fact, his statements on the very day of the riot called for peaceful protesting.

I am a person that does not buy into conspiracy theories. I like proof and don't clutter my mind with what ifs, as a rule.

I have moved well beyond the last election,  I could careless to look for a pound of flesh. I am more concerned about the president that is harming America today, currently...  I have been posting his destructive mistakes as he dishes them up, and offering facts to back his horrendous mistakes.  I have very few addressing those threads. Heads in the sand are abundant here at the Hup Political forum.

Liberals making every effort to regurgitate all that was Trump.

You clearly have made your view on the need to have Congress investigate the Jan 6 riot. and that you are displeased with the Republicans kicking sand in the faces of the Dems.

We disagree, I prefer moving on, and letting our two law enforcement agencies get to the bottom of what occurred. They have made many arrests, and I have hopes those that committed crimes will be punished for breaking the law.

Nothing can prevent it from happening again, in fact, the way things are headed well could happen again. This is a free country, if citizens are of the mind to revolt I assume they will.  I certainly don't condone any form of the riot that turns to violence, but this is where we have ended up. And the fool liberals that rioted in the Dem coy=tis all last summer, have opened that door...Set precedent, gave way to citizens accepting violence as the thing to do if you have a problem.

Even called for defunding law enforcement. Your analogies are weak ones in my book.  Congress vs FBI or DOJ --- I will stick with the pros.

I in no way want to move on as you imply... Just hope to see the right agencies investigate. No need the waste time and money. Congress has a big problem they should be working on. We have a new president, let's keep an eye on him.

In fact, I just posted a thread that shows a true problem Congress should be investigating.  A problem that truly needs looking at to help prevent another pandemic disaster.  I think all American's would agree we need an investigation into China's part in killing over 3 million people worldwide.  We need to move on to real problems...
              https://hubpages.com/politics/forum/352 … estigated-

S- A very odd analogy that literally fits what the Dems did pre-election as well as after the election. This election was irregular in the fact that ten states and jurisdictions proactively sent out unrequested ballots, some for the first time due to the coronavirus pandemic, approximately 44.2 million unregistered voters in total. So in regard to your analogy --- the game rules were changed, and confusion was created due to the changes the other team put forth.

M-Not one republican office holder objecting to Biden’s victory have objected to their own wins, on the same day, on the same ballots, using the same election system.  How do you explain that?

S-I don't agree that there in any respect we need a third investigation, let's just leave the investigation to law enforcement...   This is just another foolish witchhunt that as I said is nothing but a pile of feed to keep liberal's heads spinning.  I prefer to have our law enforcement agencies do the investigation, that's what they are paid for. Your argument to me is a very weak argument.

M- In other words you trust Biden’s DOJ to do the investigation and you would be satisfied with the results?  I find that very strange indeed.  Did you ever think it could backfire on your agenda? Law enforcement is not looking into the root cause of the problem.  They are only convicting those who violated the law.

"Fact: There are two Qanon members now in congress who participated in the riot. Marjorie Taylor Green and Lauren Boebert believe the conspiracy theory that liberals are trafficking children to gain world power. In addition, both of them are now spreading anti-Semitic tropes."

S-Do you have proof of this? My gosh, this is a ridiculous statement. It could be compared to me calling AOC  a member of the Communist party...  You are making accusations that are purely that --- accusations that hold on factual evidence.

M- For your dining and dancing pleasure.  Please indulge Anderson Cooper until the end.
                https://youtu.be/LSQT1kMfCTs

https://www.rollcall.com/2020/11/05/qan … -congress/

S-I regard Trump proclaiming the election as fraudulent, this is a factual statement. However, there is no way of connecting him to ordering an insurrection. This is impossible to prove.  He tried up a crowd of citizens, there is no evidence he ordered a riot. In fact, his statements on the very day of the riot called for peaceful protesting.

M- Of course not, that’s why his supporters don’t want an investigation.  They are afraid it will point to Trump.

S-I am a person that does not buy into conspiracy theories. I like proof and don't clutter my mind with what ifs, as a rule.

I have moved well beyond the last election,  I could careless to look for a pound of flesh. I am more concerned about the president that is harming America today, currently...  I have been posting his destructive mistakes as he dishes them up, and offering facts to back his horrendous mistakes.  I have very few addressing those threads. Heads in the sand are abundant here at the Hup Political forum.

S-Liberals making every effort to regurgitate all that was Trump.
                M- While you and Trump supporters make every effort to regurgitate Biden in little more  than 100 days in office.

You clearly have made your view on the need to have Congress investigate the Jan 6 riot. and that you are displeased with the Republicans kicking sand in the faces of the Dems.

We disagree, I prefer moving on, and letting our two law enforcement agencies get to the bottom of what occurred. They have made many arrests, and I have hopes those that committed crimes will be punished for breaking the law.

S-Nothing can prevent it from happening again, in fact, the way things are headed well could happen again. This is a free country, if citizens are of the mind to revolt I assume they will.  I certainly don't condone any form of the riot that turns to violence, but this is where we have ended up. And the fool liberals that rioted in the Dem coy=tis all last summer, have opened that door...Set precedent, gave way to citizens accepting violence as the thing to do if you have a problem.

M- You are making a false equivalence.

S-Even called for defunding law enforcement. Your analogies are weak ones in my book.  Congress vs FBI or DOJ --- I will stick with the pros.

M-Then why didn’t the “pros” do the 9-11 investigation.  You were O.K. with that weren’t you?

S-I in no way want to move on as you imply... Just hope to see the right agencies investigate. No need the waste time and money. Congress has a big problem they should be working on. We have a new president, let's keep an eye on him.

M-Keeping on eye on the new president and refusing an investigation are two different things.  But you have no problem with the recounting of ballots and blaming the liberals for voter fraud.

S-In fact, I just posted a thread that shows a true problem Congress should be investigating.  A problem that truly needs looking at to help prevent another pandemic disaster.  I think all American's would agree we need an investigation into China's part in killing over 3 million people worldwide.  We need to move on to real problems...

https://hubpages.com/politics/forum/352 … estigated-

I certainly can't explain why the Republicans that won did not speak up or if some did?

I have no reason to mistrust the current DOJ or the FBI. I support what they are doing, and the arrest they have already made. I would think the people that have been arrested and charged perhaps offered their motive. I have no way of knowing the motives of over 200 people. I would think the motive or root of the problem was clear by their signage and their chants. They felt and probably still do think the election was fraudulent. What do you think these people's motives were?  I think they made their motive very clear. We have many citizens that will not accept the election.  Not sure  My only agenda at this point is to keep my eye on what the new president is doing.

I must ask where you have seen proof that Marjorie Taylor Green and Lauren Boebert believe the conspiracy theory that liberals are trafficking children to gain world power. I have not seen any factual evidence of that. I would be interested in evidence if you can provide it.  I at this point consider that a conspiracy theory of the liberals. I will admit both are outspoken obnoxious women. AS is all four of the squad.

"- Of course not, that’s why his supporters don’t want an investigation.  They are afraid it will point to Trump."

To repeat we have two law enforcement agencies doing investigations. The DOJ has the power to arrest and charge one with a crime. Congress does not hold these kinds of powers or should it be their jobs.

"Then why didn’t the “pros” do the 9-11 investigation.  You were O.K. with that weren’t you?"

I in no respect compare a protest by American's to a foreign terrorist group attacking America. I find your analogy hyperbolic. I look at the Jan 6th as a protest that got out of hand, the same as the protests that went on all last summer night after night. Sorry just my view.

"But you have no problem with the recounting of ballots and blaming the liberals for voter fraud."

I have never done that, I have made claims that due to so many citizens being upset about the election it would be a good idea to do recounts, do audits, and anything that could clarify and satisfy all that the election was well investigated. I have always felt it the fair thing to do. I don't feel so many citizens should be ignored when they feel fraud occurred. I have followed the recounts, and court cases, I see many states once again are recounting. It is my hope this will one way or the other be enough to satisfy those that still have doubts.

Again your last concern --- We have two investigations ongoing. I trust the pros. I just don't see the two even close to being comparable.

Sharlee:

"I must ask where you have seen proof that Marjorie Taylor Green and Lauren Boebert believe the conspiracy theory that liberals are trafficking children to gain world power. I have not seen any factual evidence of that. I would be interested in evidence if you can provide it.  I at this point consider that a conspiracy theory of the liberals. I will admit both are outspoken obnoxious women. AS is all four of the squad.'"

Apparently, you overlooked these two link I posted in my last reply.

https://youtu.be/LSQT1kMfCTs

https://www.rollcall.com/2020/11/05/qan … -congress/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/death … InAppShare

2. wilderness profile image94

"Let's say a football coach says to his team and to their fans, if we lose the game then it is rigged. So they lose the game and what do the fans and the team do, they attack the football commissioner and his staff for rigging the game."

It would be a lot more accurate comparison if you had said that two of the 20 thousand fans attacked the football commissioner and staff, and without approval from the coach.  Because that's what happened, not that the entire fan base, or even 1% of it attacked anything at all.

Fact: Trump did not "incite the riot"; he was very, very clear that he wanted a peaceful march on the capital, not a riot.

Fact: No one is attempting "voter suppression"; only trying to make voting as easy as possible while ensuring as much as possible that there is no cheating.  This the liberals refuse to accept; they want cheating to be as easy as possible while being ignored as not happening.

Fact:  The Democrats are once more going after Trump as a method of removing a viable candidate from the next election - pretty much the same as voter suppression, wouldn't you say?

Fact: no one has cheated to keep Trump in power.  The Democrats have lied continuously to promote that quaint opinion, but there is no truth in it.

Opinion:  Democrats are still very wary of having to face Trump once more in an election and will do anything and everything they possibly can to prevent such an event for one of the consequences Trump brought about was a lessening of power by Democrats.

So they make up more lies, and present more opinions as factual, as an excuse to once more put the full power of America to work to find something, anything, that would eliminate their future opponent from the ring.  This would be the third time they have tried, and there is no end in sight of their efforts to fix the election process in their favor.

Love how you summed this all up so perfectly...

4. Sharlee01 profile image84

I do understand your logic. However, in the last election, we had unsolicited mail-in ballots, many people were getting multiple ballots. The Rep feel many fraudulent votes were sent in for Biden. I can see your theory could make sense if the person filling in the entire ballot voting for Democrats down-ticket

I know that the Rep party requested hand counts and did find minor fraud. such as dead people voting or people voting that were not registered and so on.

The narrative of the 2020 election is that Joe Biden did pretty well … but down-ballot Democrats, not so much. And while this is true if you look simply at the results — Republicans defended most of their vulnerable Senate seats and gained several seats in the House.

This leads me to think widespread fraud was not committed. After recounts were performed I excepted the result and moved on. If widespread fraud occurred it was not proven. I am at this point satisfied with states revamping their voting laws if they saw problems with any form of fraud. I think this should help citizens feel more secure when casting their votes.

This next fight will be the bill that will be looked at this week that contains an earmark that would have the Federal Gov dictating their own blanket rules on voters. I don't like to approve of Fed Gov overriding the states in regard to voting rules. Each state has different needs, and I very much hope the Republicans will stop the bill, even if it takes the filibuster. This earmark should be removed from the bill, as well as a few others. To
    important to be dangling off a bill, just to push it through.

It's time to move past the last election and concentrate on the next one.

Too much going on right now in the country, I am not willing to have media smoke to make me unaware of the here the now...

Sharlee:

You state that each state has different needs and it will make the voters feel more secure.  However, the Heritage Foundation has come up with a set of voter suppression laws that are designed to give the republicans the advantage for the next election.

It is uniform across all the battle ground states and they are hell bent on pushing it through, so the next election will be in their favor.

HR 1. is designed to prevent the voter suppression the republicans need in order to ensure they win the next election...talk about voter fraud!!

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 … sion-laws/

A while back the GA bill that changed a few of the voting laws was discussed here. I took the time to read the long boring bill. I can say with honesty I saw nothing that would prevent any citizen to vote if they wanted to.

I have also read the bill here in Michigan that stipulated a few common-sense changes.

The bills would bar Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson from sending out absentee ballot applications unless they are specifically requested by voters.  Benson, a Democrat, sent out applications to all registered voters in 2020 amid the pandemic, which did draw criticism from many Michigan citizens. The bills also require applicants for absentee ballots to present or attach a copy of identification and overhaul large counties' canvassing boards and mandate that absentee ballot drop boxes be monitored by video recordings.

I don't find a problem with the changes if the bill passes here in Michigan.
        I do know some states are working on making changes to voting laws, I would not like to comment on something that is I have not at least looked at.

I do believe as I said each state may have different preferences depending on the needs of the citizens.

I read HR1 the Democrats are proposing Government overreaches I don't in any respect agree with.  Many earmarks are attached.  You need to read some of the bill. It certainly is not solely about voter suppression.

Funny how the Dems have so many screaming about voting laws. We seem to have done fine for many decades. But now not so much...I find this comical. No one is out to stop any registered voter from voting.

So, after reading a couple of long boring bills I can't agree that we need the Federal Government to usurp the State's rights in regards to voting laws.   

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-con … use-bill/1

I very much doubt this bill will pass, the Republicans will use the filibuster.

Sharlee: 

S-I very much doubt this bill will pass, the Republicans will use the filibuster.

M-Sure that's where a minority group in congress has power over the majority.  What a bunch of B.S.
          You read HR 1 which is 861 pages long? Here are examples of voter suppression.

https://www.adl.org/education/resources … uppression

I did read the better part of it, of course skipping over lots of earmarks, and wordy jargon. These bills are important, I do like to read any bill. They are all online on the Congresses website.  Most are very long and as I said boring, but I think it wise to read any bill that the media is reporting due at times they tend to report things out of context. The flue everyone up, and in the end, they have not reported pure facts. The HR1 would give the Federal Government great oversite into states voting rules.

I have not read the   Paycheck Fairness Act that Schumer will present to the Senate this week. I have just browsed a small list of what the Dems presented upfront. I am wondering if the Senate will use the filibuster once again.

2. wilderness profile image94

Your link of "voter suppression" was interesting.

If black people cannot go directly from Sunday church to the polls their vote has been "suppressed" somehow???  It's hard to think of a more ridiculous reason to call it "suppression" than that.

If seniors, with unlimited time on their hands, cannot vote early, on a day of their choosing, their vote has been "suppressed"??  Again, utterly ridiculous.

Requiring proof of citizenship to vote is "voter suppression"??  The only suppression there is for those that are NOT citizens!

Purging voter registration rolls of names that are no longer valid is "suppression"?  We all know that such records, countrywide, contain millions of names of people that have moved, died or in other ways have become ineligible to vote; how is removing names of those not eligible to vote "suppression"?  Unless the goal is to collect invalid ballots it cannot possibly be called suppression of anything.

Things like these are what makes the whole outcry of Republican "voter suppression" a farce, and makes it clear that Democrat efforts are designed to promote voting by those ineligible to participate in elections.

Wilderness:  What is a farce is recounting legitimate ballots to prove the election was stolen from Trump. What is a farce is denying a 9-11 type commission to protect Trump from his guilt of  inciting domestic terrorism on the Capital on 1-6.

This article shows which states are trying to make it harder for people to vote and also which states are trying to make it easier for people to vote.

The only reason states want to make laws to make it harder to vote is so  republicans can swing the vote their way.  That's why HR-1 will remove that ability from the states, but it will never pass because republicans need the restrictions to control the voting. It's a threat to our democracy.  Why else would republican governors need these restrictive laws enacted?

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/ … p-may-2021

Yes, it shows how voting is incredibly difficult if you can't vote as you leave church.  Or if you can't pick your day because you are a senior and have unlimited time.  Or you live in an adjoining state and must show ID to vote where you don't live.

The threat to our democracy is Democrats wishing to add unlimited voting for everyone (as many ballots as they wish), including non-citizens.  Funny that that is never mentioned, don't you think?  Only that your vote is "suppressed" somehow if you must show an ID or there isn't a polling location outside of any predominately black church.

A third Democrat attempt to remove Trump from the political arena has nothing to do with suppression of vote...unless you want to count such an action as suppression because the desired candidate was subjected to foul political shenanigans.

The question is not why Republicans deny open voting with no restrictions - the question is why Democrats are so demanding that there be no controls at all, even completely reasonable, simple, easy-to-satisfy ones.  The only reason I can think of is that they think they will pick up enough illegal votes to swing the election.  Can you think of anything else?  Not counting the terrible hardship of proving who you are, same as is needed to cash a check, buy liquor, drive a car or get on an airplane, doesn't count.  Nor does the incredible difficulty involved in not voting when you leave church.

Wilderness:  If Trump won the election, do you believe the republican governors would still go to the trouble of recounting ballots and  passing restrictive voting laws?  Trump said if he lost the election, it is rigged.  Therefore if he won, the election would not be rigged and there would be no need for restrictive laws.

Don't you see how absurd this is.  Now we have a country where there are people who think that Biden will have to step down as Trump is re-instated after a Myanmar like coup.

Why do you think these laws are only enacted in red battle ground states? Sure, they are simple and easy to comply with, but they are designed to block the votes that Biden would need for a second term and give the advantage to the GOP.

Why do the states have to have different voting laws to begin with?  As far as simple goes, it would be more simple and uniform if all the states had the same laws.  Then there would not be this patch-work of different laws for different states. It would be controlled at the federal level and level the playing field. We don't need restrictive laws for some states, we need the same laws for all states. The election for president is a federal election for God's sake.

Has any winning candidate, in any election, ever called for a recount? 

We also have a country with people that think the earth is flat, that an omnipotent ET from another universe created this one, and that no man has been on the moon.  Your point?  That out of 320,000,000 people some of them will be fools and idiots?

They are only enacted in red states because blue states want fraudulent votes and will not only tolerate them but encourage them by making it as easy as possible to cast such votes.

Of course it would be better if the Inuit in Alaska used the same rules/procedures as the ants in the concrete jungles of NYC, LA and Portland.  I don't think so.

But it would be nice if all states had at least some common rules.  Like voter ID, like not sending ballots to every address in the phone book and then never checking to see if it was a legal vote, like following rules as to when ballots must be cast or mailed.  But we don't, because liberals can't get the votes if we disqualify illegal ballots.

"It would be controlled at the federal level . . "

Can you see a thought such as this through a conservative, (and moderate's), perspective? A perspective that sees that as a further Federal threat to states' sovereignty, and the liberty of choice?

I think the Federal government already has more power than it was intended to have. Consider our current political situation in which a majority party is nearly in complete control. Would you want a Republican administration to have the power to mandate state elections the way they think it should be done, in order to "level the playing field"?

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)