Vegetarian Diets...pros and cons

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)
  1. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 14 years ago

Here is a link to The Weston Price Foundation's newest press release relaying some vegetarian diet concerns.

http://lafayettewapf.wordpress.com/

1. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thought I'd already settled this issue in one of my hubs stating why we should eat meat?  Evidently there was no consensus.  lol

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
      Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Vegetarians are poor defenseless plant murders!!!

At least a carnivore kills something that can fight back.....

lol

2. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Not sure what you are trying to say, SparklingJewel.

Weston Price has its own agenda, too - that press release is nothing more than marketing-speak to promote the group's own sponsors.

Maybe Whole Foods does give bad advice - I have never heard of them, but stretching that into an attack on vegetarians, in general (I think that they mean vegans - most veggies eat dairy products wink), is a little disingenious.

I am very happy with my vegetarian, Mediterranean diet smile

SparklingJewelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

guess i haven't been in the forums enough...i attack no one or anything, sufi dear...i just put stuff out there...smile

there are many people who need their proteins from animal sources...just as there are those that are fine with their vegetarianism...

i guess i continue to think that there are people out there that could make use of information that might give them what they need.
      that's all   smile

besides that...I could have sworn i posted this thread under the health forum...??? i know i did, how did it get here??? hmm

1. Sufidreamer profile image80
          Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

Maybe one of the mods is a veggie!

Sure - I have no problem with people eating what they want, although I share Mike and Izzy's sentiments about intensive farming.

It was more that it says Vegetarian in the title when the article is questioning vegan diets - it was all a little confusing to my Ouzo-pickled brain smile

i probably don't have understanding of  the differences between vegetarians, vegans, veggie, etc...? smile

i'm having one of those days, mind blips...been snowed in for two days...but i guess at least it wasn't' has bad as at christmas time when it was four days...go the winter stir crazies, i guess smile

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

I usually eat veggies and I love it, But I also love beef and pork, I cooked it the Chinese way--with Hoisin sauce and beeff with the same sauce too

I also like fishes--seafoods, balanced diet is good, but I mostly cooked it Asian way and with rice plus fruits

1. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Girl, you are making me hungry!!!!

4. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Is this a social issue or a food issue?

It was a sad day when Whole Foods acquired Wild Oats.  Prices went up and quality went down.

I would encourage anyone who eats meat (And I do) to watch the movie Food Inc.

http://www.foodincmovie.com/

Meat is a healthy food choice and contains vitamins like B12 that do not come from plant sources.

The problem with today's Corporate Food Culture is the meat we are being sold is junk.  Cows are fed Corn, when in the "wild"... using that term loosely as Cows are domesticated they would not eat corn they would eat grass.  This results in bacterial growth in the cows rumen that fosters disease like e-coli.  Cows stand in feedlots ankle deep in their own feces. The cows get sick so they require anti biotics.  The ratio of healthy omega 3 fats to unhealthy (Unless in great moderation) omega 6 fats is skewed.

Grass Fed beef has health benefits, corn fed beef not nearly so much.

Chickens are raised by Corporate Farms for 6 weeks in dark pens again in their own feces.

It's just sick they way that our meat sources are obtained.  In the film you will be made very sick when you see the part about Beef being dipped in an Ammonia based solution to kill bacteria.

Nothing wrong with naturally raised meat in moderation, but there is nothing natural about the way meat is raised by Corporate Farmers.

The excuse of course is without these methods they could not raise enough to feed the people.

Better a small portion of healthy animal protein, than a large portion o tainted unhealthy protein.

Rant over.

1. kerryg profile image85
      kerrygposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hear, hear!

5. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Great post - rant away, Mike smile

6. kerryg profile image85
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

Hmm, I agree with the WAPF that the current obsession with low fat diets needs to be looked into more carefully, but targeting Whole Foods doesn't really seem like the most productive use of their time and effort. Whole Foods does at least make the effort to educate people about nutrition, and in many areas is the only (or at least the most visible) source of the very organic and grassfed animal products that Weston Price says we should be eating more of. In my town, for example, the farmer's market runs only May-Sept., and the rest of the time, Whole Foods is the only local option for those of us who care about ethically raised, nutritious animal products.

Anyway, claims like the doctor's that "low-fat patients are my most unhealthy patients" are disingenuous. It is perfectly possible to eat a healthy low fat diet, but very few Americans actually do. Coca Cola is "low fat," after all. Too many of us have simplistic views of nutrition based on what to avoid, not what to seek out, so we go crazy for "low fat," "low calorie," "sugar free" or whatever, without considering whether the food has any actual nutritional value other than those (mostly bogus) health claims, let alone whether the substitute might be worse than the original, as with Aspertame for sugar or margarine for butter.

7. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

When I was a trainee nurse in the early 70s, weight loss diets primarily composed of low-fat, low-carbohydrate options.
    Somehwhere during my life the low-fat, high carbohydrate ideal has taken over, which doesn't work for me, but that's another story.
    But when you think about it, why do you reckon carbohydrates have made such a change in the health slant?
    Could it bebecause the processed food industry, which is massive of course, has had their say? Could we be getting told that processed white bread (that has had its flour stripped of all its natural goodness then added back chemically so that it lasts for a week or more, while still staying soft) is good for us, because it PAYS the industry to tell us that so we will continue to buy more?
    What has happened to the farmed animal industry is a disgrace, but at least now we are learning of it.
    As a child, I lived in the countryside with cows chewing their cud in the grassy field beside me. I thought ALL cows had this lazy, healthy lifestyle.  But no along came some university high-flier who calculated that the farmer could quadruple his income if he housed them all together in a large shed and fed them whatever cheap crap the animal food industry could think up, loaded with antibiotics and God knows what all.
    People are dying now with Mad Cow Disease thanks to these idiots.
    /Rant over.

8. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I wanted to be a vegetarian, but I didn;t like vegetables enough sad

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)