DHS to Punish CBP Agents For "Whipping" Incident

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)
  1. GA Anderson profile image87
    GA Andersonposted 22 months ago

Caveat: This is a fast gut response to a Fox news story just seen. I haven't even Goggled it yet, so I could be howling at the moon, but what the hell is wrong with these people?

The story is the "whipping" agents will be punished for some "Administrative" mis-actions. If that is true then 'I don't need no more stinking facts'.

Is this administration trying to lose? Does it have a clue how this will be seen by most of those 75 million Righties and probably all of the Right-wingers, and assuredly all of those 'deplorables'? Do they think Independents won't pay attention?

Do they think they will be able to ignore any more border blow-ups like the one this will cause among the CBP and the part of America that supports them?

Holy cow, I bet James Carville would have some choice words for his party.

GA

1. Sharlee01 profile image78
      Sharlee01posted 22 months agoin reply to this

I also have some choice words about this spectacle of injustice, mine would certainly be as blunt as Carville's. However, I will not risk being banned here at HP's.

GA Andersonposted 22 months agoin reply to this

I'm waiting for the details, but I can't think of any that would change my mind.

GA

2. abwilliams profile image68
    abwilliamsposted 22 months ago

GA, it is what they do best! Completely overact before knowing anything about anything! Then, when busted, to save face, charge these Agents with SOMETHING/ANYTHING, all while keeping the initial sensationalized big fib alive for their AMEN corner.

GA Andersonposted 22 months agoin reply to this

I don't know about the "best" part. This seems really dumb to me. I know you meant their "M.O.", but still, somebody in the administration has to know better—regarding the 'optics' of an injustice.

GA

3. IslandBites profile image88
    IslandBitesposted 21 months ago

Four Border Patrol agents to face discipline over horseback controversy

A 511-page report from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s (CBP) Office of Professional Responsibility found “failures at multiple levels of the agency, a lack of appropriate policies and training, and unprofessional and dangerous behavior by several individual agents,” according to a CBP statement.

The report determined that agents did not strike “intentionally or otherwise, any migrant with their reins.”

But while the report dismissed those allegations, it detailed other disturbing behavior by agents on horseback, including grabbing one migrant by their shirt and spinning them around and in another case making disparaging remarks about Haiti.

“One [border patrol agent] (BPA) acted in an unprofessional manner by yelling comments related to a migrant’s national origin and sex, stating in part, ‘Hey! You use your women? This is why your country’s shit, you use your women for this,’” the report found.

“The same BPA acted in an unsafe manner by pursuing the individual he had yelled at along the river’s edge forcing his horse to narrowly maneuver around a small child on a slanted concrete ramp.”

Several mounted Border Patrol Agents used force or the threat of force to drive several migrants back into the Rio Grande River, despite the fact the migrants were well within the territorial boundary of the United States.

In a press conference with reporters, CBP Commissioner Chris Magnus said the officers are still facing proposed disciplinary action and are afforded the chance to reply, and said he would not be able to release the details until they are finalized.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-m … ty-del-rio

GA Andersonposted 21 months agoin reply to this

I'm thinking your post carries an inference, if not . . .

The president said they would be punished. I'm sure someone has a list or meme of all the things Democrat leaders said they did.

And look where it ended up, a desperate resort to 'administrative violations' for not being polite to the mass they were trying to stop and riding too close to a toddler.

They had to admit the initial charges were unsupported, but couldn't stop there.

This administration seems blind to what they are presenting to conservatives—both kinds. It's nuts. They doubled down on a lost cause, threw any idea of justice out the window, (yes, I know, many will agree, thinking of a 'different' justice being tossed), and crazily came up with something to punish them for.

Geez Loise. There must be someone sane in the house. Wake them up.

GA

Sharlee01posted 21 months agoin reply to this

So well said, but so mild and kind...

Boohoo, they said something naughty, while trying to control a mob.   In my view, border agents need to plan a date for a walk-out.   The crimes these men were charged with turned out to be untrue, so what do they do---  pivot and make ass clowns of themselves. So predictable. I mean, did you think Biden would not keep his word? "There will be consequences " You know, for strapping those migrants.

So sick of this mush bunch.  Finger down my throat.

4. Sharlee01 profile image78
    Sharlee01posted 18 months ago

https://hubstatic.com/16189189_f1024.jpg
    Found this story this morning, relevant to the subject'

Mayorkas alerted that NO Haitian migrants were ‘whipped’ hours before WH press conference  --   Mayorkas would go on to describe the incident as 'horrifying'

"EXCLUSIVE: Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas was told that the photographer who captured a clash between Border Patrol agents and Haitian migrants in Del Rio had said that the incident was being misconstrued -- hours before Mayorkas joined a White House press conference where he didn’t challenge the false narrative.

The Sept. 24, 2021 email, obtained by the Heritage Foundation via a Freedom of Information Act request (FOIA), shines light onto internal deliberations surrounding the controversy in Del Rio, Texas, where Democrats and the White House pushed a narrative that migrants had been "whipped" or "strapped" by Border Patrol agents despite it being quickly debunked.

In fact, agents were using split reins to control their horses as migrants rushed across the river. But a narrative, based on a misinterpretation of photographs, was running and on Sept. 24 was further fueled by President Biden.

"To see people treated like they did, horses barely running over, people being strapped — it's outrageous," Biden told reporters, making a whipping motion with his hand. "I promise you, those people will pay. There will be an investigation underway now, and there will be consequences. There will be consequences."

The investigation is still ongoing more than a year later, but findings by the Office of Professional Responsibility in July found that no whips were in their possession and no migrant was struck by the reins -- although it did find other alleged infractions.

But just hours after Biden made his inflammatory remarks to cameras, Marsha Espinosa, assistant secretary of DHS public affairs, emailed Mayorkas and cc’d other DHS leadership, alerting them to a news article that showed that the photographer who took the images did not see any whipping. In the email, Espinosa highlighted the comments from the photographer where he directly says he did not witness any whipping.

Two and a half hours after receiving that email, Mayorkas joined White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki at a White House Press conference, where he continued to push the narrative:

"Our nation saw horrifying images that do not reflect who we are. We know that those images painfully conjured up the worst elements of our nation's ongoing battle against systemic racism," Mayorkas said.

Mayorkas, earlier in the week, had spoken alongside Border Patrol Chief Raul Ortiz, and had defended the agents -- even pointing out that agents use long reins to control their horses, not as whips. But by the end of the week, that clarification was abandoned.

"The images horrified us in terms of what they suggest and what they conjure up," Mayorkas said.

Mayorkas did not make any mention of the new information from the photographer at the conference. He was asked about his initial remarks and said: "I made the statements without having seen the images."

"I saw the images on the flight back, and I made the statement that I did with respect to what those images suggested," he said.

He was then asked about the discrepancy between the photographer’s claims about no whipping being witnessed and the president’s statement.

"The horses have long reins, and the image in the photograph that we all saw, and that horrified the nation, raised serious questions about what…occurred and as I stated quite clearly, it conjured up images of what has occurred in the past," he said.

Mayorkas was later asked about "the whipping… the whips, the horse whips" by a reporter. The Homeland Security chief responded that "that is something that horrified us all."

"There’s also a question of how one uses the horse and how one interacts with individuals with the horse," he said. "And so I’m going to let the investigation run its course."

The emails were obtained by the Heritage Foundation's Oversight Project. They filed a  FOIA with DHS in March asking for all communications about the whipping incident. When DHS didn't produce the documents, Heritage sued in June and the emails were recently turned over. National Border Patrol Council President Brandon Judd told Fox News that it was "smoking gun evidence."

"It clearly shows they are willing to lie to the American people for their self-interests," he said. "They withheld facts and anytime you withhold facts from the American people.. you should step down from your job. Better men step down. This clearly shows they are not better men."

The investigation found "no evidence" that agents struck migrants and found that they were not carrying whips. An agent was accused of using "denigrating and offensive" language against migrants regarding national origin and gender, and of having maneuvered a horse around a child in an "unsafe manner" -- while agents were said to have used "unnecessary use of force" to drive the migrants back.

Federal sources say that the three horseback agents and supervisor are still facing discipline of between 3-14 day unpaid suspensions for and are in the process of trying to respond to the accusations. Neither Biden nor Mayorkas have since publicly stated that there was no whipping involved. "
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mayork … conference
    https://www.nationalreview.com/news/dhs … ol-agents/

And still, after Biden falsely accused  Border patrol agents of Strapping migrants, no apology from him or the VP.

Thank God for the  Heritage Foundation's Oversight Project, and their efforts in filing a  FOIA  (Freedom of Information Act). Got to love this wonderful avenue to uncover facts, truth.   Emails  source ---   https://twitter.com/BillFOXLA/status/15 … 4687215616
    Emails  source ---   https://twitter.com/BillFOXLA/status/15 … 4687215616

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 18 months agoin reply to this

Sounds very much like an agenda in operation to me.  It is understand that Biden has no real use for Border Patrol (or border control for that matter, even though he swore to protect our borders) - is that what the lies, misinformation and limited information is about?  A step in ending Border Patrol and any semblance at all of controlling that stretch of land?

Sharlee01posted 18 months agoin reply to this

Biden has the borders wide open, only the very blind can't see this. In my view, it is all being done to promote what some call a "New World Reset". He could care little to nothing about the agents. he perfectly knows they are overrun.  If he has his way America will be overrun with non-Americans, and make us a country that is no longer in any respect what we built.

1. Fayetteville Faye profile image60
          Fayetteville Fayeposted 18 months agoin reply to this

What's the reset all about?

Sharlee01posted 18 months agoin reply to this

Perfect to discuss the subject of OP.  The Reset at this point, in my view, is just ideologies, and concepts that this administration is pushing, with John Kerry traveling around the world blubbering about it   Some say the open borders are part of the reset. That's why I brought it up. It is evident no one can factually say why Bidens administration is keeping our borders wide open. If interested in the new World Reset, just Google John Kerry's New World Reset. Google has plenty on the subject.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)