Classy or Assy/ Ironic or Moronic?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 19 months ago

"De Santis asked President Biden on Wednesday to approve a major disaster declaration for 67 counties impacted by Hurricane Ian and to cover 100% of the costs of debris removal and emergency protective measures for the first 60 days after the hurricane.

Sandy, which hit the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states in late 2012, killed over 100 Americans, destroyed about 300 homes, and left thousands of people without access to food, drinking water and power.

The House passed a bill providing $9.7 billion in flood insurance aid for Hurricane Sandy victims. DeSantis joined the 67 Republicans who voted against the measure."
    ----------
    Funny how we are fiscally frugal when it applies to disasters that are not in our own backyard. Were the role situations reversed, I am sure that DeSantis would have offered a roll of paper towels just like his protege did for the crisis in Puerto Rico back in '17.

With all the political buffoonery from DeSantis as of late, President Biden remaines professional and above the fray, more than a Rightwinger of DeSantis' ilk deserves. Not exactly presidential timber, more like particle board....

So now, as compared with 2012, we hear a different tune  from the "fiscally responsible" penny pinching hypocrite.
    -------------
    "But now, the governor of Florida, where Ian has been categorized as one of the most powerful storms in U.S. history, has a much different response.

"When people are fighting for their lives, when their whole livelihood is at stake, when they've lost everything — if you can't put politics aside for that, then you're just not going to be able to," DeSantis told Tucker Carlson on Wednesday. "So, I'll work with anybody who wants to help the people of Southwest Florida and throughout our state."
    -------
    So, to the forum audience, I invite you to "pick the winner" between classy and assy?

1. Stephen Tomkinson profile image92
      Stephen Tomkinsonposted 19 months agoin reply to this

DeSantis is hardly alone when it comes to vote-pandering hypocrisy but it's especially galling when it's so obvious As a little thought experiment let's substitute the word "people" for "immigrants" in the quote above.
      Should DeSantis stand for POTUS, this interview might well come back to haunt him.

2. Readmikenow profile image95
      Readmikenowposted 19 months agoin reply to this

"Funny how we are fiscally frugal when it applies to disasters that are not in our own backyard. Were the role situations reversed, I am sure that DeSantis would have offered a roll of paper towels just like his protege did for the crisis in Puerto Rico back in '17."

You really need to look into these things before you make such statements.  There was plenty of relief given to Puerto Rico.  There was also too much corruption associated with the federal relief efforts there.  This is one of thousands of articles on the subject.

"FEMA Official, Energy Contractor Arrested In Puerto Rico Hurricane Relief Corruption Probe

Topline: A top FEMA official was arrested Tuesday after being indicted for taking bribes from the president of an Oklahoma-based energy company—who was also arrested—in exchange for a contract to rebuild Puerto Rico’s power grid after Hurricane Maria struck the island in 2017.

The Department of Justice alleges that Ahsha Nateef Tribble accepted gifts from Cobra Acquisitions president Donald Keith Ellison, which included personal helicopter use, hotel accommodations, airfare, personal security services and the use of a credit card.
      Ellison also secured Tribble’s former chief of staff Jovanda Patterson a job at Cobra. Patterson was also arrested.
      In exchange, the DOJ alleges, Tribble used her power as a deputy regional administrator assigned to Puerto Rico to help Cobra win two contracts worth $1.8 billion to rebuild the island’s energy grid, which were paid out with federal FEMA funds.
      Tribble was put on unpaid leave when the investigation started in May, according to The Wall Street Journal.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsand … 4d6ae637c5

Credence2posted 19 months agoin reply to this

Well, Ken, if you don't mind I am going to give credence to the grade given by the managers and people of Puerto Rico, first and foremost, over so much stuff from rightwing echo chambers. According to the WP article, not entirely negative but not exactly a glowing report either.

Also, the main point was DeSantis and his response to the Hurricane Sandy thing in 2012, in contrast to what he says regarding federal aid be made available to Florida.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nat … overnment/

Wasn't this Tribble person a Trump administration appointee? Was it a surprise that he was crooked and dishonest? Wasn't all the " federal relief" under Trump's watch?

1. Readmikenow profile image95
          Readmikenowposted 19 months agoin reply to this

I'm not Ken.

Sorry, senior moment, Mike...

2. Fayetteville Faye profile image60
    Fayetteville Fayeposted 19 months ago

That hypocrisy is definitely going to come back to bite him. I'm pretty sure folks want to elect  a president that represents and governs the whole country not just one tribe.   There is really no positive spin to put on that situation. I think that he at least needed a bit of a dressing down from President Biden, just to remind people of the governor's previous stance.  Democrats take the high road too often.
    That being said, Mr DeSantis has an opportunity with this hurricane response to be seen as something other than a hair on fire culture warrior. Can he remake himself? Will he? Will it be genuine?
    Also, how many Democrats do you think will vote against allocating money to aid Florida?

"Democrats take the high road too often."

Well, Faye...

That is the issue, where the "other side" may well be beyond redemption. Both Trump and Trumpism must be vanquished from the political scene. I challenge myself by asking how effective am I in contributing toward that end?

Gavin Newsom in his comments about President Biden touched on a key point. 

While Trump may well be a beast, at least he is an original. De Santis is nothing more than a political hack. You can count on the fact that he lwill continue to perform well below your lowest expectations and probabilities.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-go … 13826.html

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 19 months ago

"So, I'll work with anybody who wants to help the people of Southwest Florida and throughout our state."

trying not to rely on government.
    But they want you to.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 19 months ago

See what a bad guy he is.
    Not what can we do to help him.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Oh, what a bad guy.

see which way the thumb points as far as what is "assy."

I guess I meant three fingers pointing back. However, this link explains the thumbs actual (or possible) significance. smile

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140607 … -the-thumb

2. Sharlee01 profile image85
        Sharlee01posted 19 months agoin reply to this

Kathryn, they need to start early. I mean Desantas will stand out as a Republican candidate. And I would predict would win if he runs.  he is all about common sense, and America.

5. Valeant profile image85
    Valeantposted 19 months ago

I see DeSantis as another partisan hack.  If it helps me and mine, great.  If it helps anyone else, go pound sand.  I'm only worried about the debt when it's not pertinent to my own needs.

The point is, when there is a crisis, an American leader needs to be consistent.  And in this instance, you see people like Gaetz and Rubio being consistent and DeSantis not.

1. Sharlee01 profile image85

They all come with some baggage. Desantis represents my hopes to return to America's first common sense agenda.  I just am over being a savior to the world kind of candidates and dealing with social woes.  For now anyway. AndI wants someone young, that is quick to see and solve problems.

1. Fayetteville Faye profile image60
        Fayetteville Fayeposted 19 months agoin reply to this

He's going to have to show himself to be more than a culture warrior though.  He's leaned in far too heavy on those issues.

I can only speak for myself.   He has been a very good Governor, and the people of Florida certainly appear to like his job performance.  I want a cultural warrior, plus he has America's first agenda.  This is a perfect combo, just what I desire in the White House.

6. Stephen Tomkinson profile image92
    Stephen Tomkinsonposted 19 months ago

But he did vote against federal relief for victims of Hurricane Sandy when he was in Congress. Not a good example of America first.

Here it's tribe first, not America first. The problem with most Republican candidates is that they're not likely to govern for all but rather just their tribe.

1. Ken Burgess profile image76
        Ken Burgessposted 19 months agoin reply to this

That's right.

VP Harris has pushed for FEMA funds to be distributed via Equity, to target and prioritize non-whites.

This is the leadership we need in America, this is a clear example of not being tribal.

Vice president Harris did not say that. The comment was about totally taken out of context and convoluted by the press. Her remarks were deliberately distorted and many MAGA Republicans ran with it.

Faye, you need to listen to the entire interview. She certainly was referring to the hurricane aid, and how it should be distributed. What funds do you believe she was speaking of ?

Chopra Jonas asking asked several questions about Ian, and the  Hurricane Ian relief efforts.

"I’m gonna unpack that question," Harris responded with her inappropriate laugh, before starting her word salad, which of what was a repatious answer. Several tomes went off subject, where she touched on a number of topics.  Which included climate and Ian. 

"Can you talk just a little bit about the relief efforts, obviously, of Hurricane Ian and what the administration has been doing to address the climate crisis in the states?" Chopra Jonas asked Harris.

Harris responded first by touting the $369 billion in funding in the Inflation Reduction Act "dedicated to addressing the climate crisis," which she said is a crisis "evidenced by Ian, by the wildfires happening in California, the floods, the hurricanes."

"I know we are all thinking about the families in Florida, in Puerto Rico with (Hurricane) Fiona, and what we need to do to help them in terms of an immediate response and aid, but also what we need to do to help restore communities, and build communities back up in a way that they can be resilient, not to mention adapt to these extreme weather conditions, which are part of the future."

Harris then addressed Chopra Jones’ "point about disparities." She described an environmental justice unit she started when she was San Francisco district attorney that focused on "the disparities issue you have described, rightly." She said "it is our lowest-income communities and communities of color that are most impacted by these extreme conditions, and impacted by issues that are not of their own making."

"So, we have to address this in a way that is about giving resources based on equity, understanding that we fight for equality, but we also need to fight for equity, understanding that not everybody starts out at the same place." VP Harris

In my view, she ultimately was talking about Ian relief as well as any other problems that "communities might experience due to climate change.

Her context was clear in my view.  In my view, one could have a very long list where harris sought to race-bait. This is just another example. In my view, this is not a new ploy Democrats use to keep their black base. Come on... It's simly politicking.

Ultimately both parties fedd theur base. usng race is a demacrat ploy that works for their party.

Vice President Harris was asked to discuss global socioeconomic disparities in climate change impact during the Democratic National Committee’s Women’s Leadership Forum.

The question the vice president was asked was not exclusively about Hurricane Ian. She was asked about climate change as a whole and was asked specifically about how it affects poorer countries.

Priyanka Chopra’s question to VP Harris: “… The global implications of emissions, the poorest countries are affected the most, they contribute the least…So how should voters in the US feel about the administration’s long-term goals when it comes to being an international influencer on this topic?”

As part of her response, she remarked: “It is our lowest income communities and our communities of color that are most impacted by these extreme conditions and impacted by issues that are not of their own making.”

She was talking about climate change and climate funds not specifically the hurricane fund distribution. I've listened to the entire interview

Agree to disagree, I have listened to the interview several times. The White House has been making an attempt to walk her comment back.

What quote from her, in its entirety do you feel points to her believing hurricane aid for Ian should be distributed based on race? When I've read the Fox News accounts they piece together a few words here and there of hers and add their own supposition in between it.

2. Valeant profile image85
            Valeantposted 19 months agoin reply to this

That won't stop some from regurgitating far-right media fabrications as we see from multiple people posting here on the topic.

It well appears we are all looking at the context differently.  Not worth disagreeing on what she said or meant.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Some people are just mean.
              So mean.

7. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 19 months ago

You're absolutely right.

Here is the interview video.

And here is the transcript.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)