Is This Man Crazy? Or Does He Just Think He Is A King?

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Sharlee01 profile image84
    Sharlee01posted 16 months ago

https://hubstatic.com/16276233_f1024.jpg

Biden administration boating proposal would be 'greatest regulatory overreach' of its kind, critics warn
    Proposed regulation aims to prevent boats from hitting endangered right whale

"This would be the greatest regulatory overreach in American maritime law" — that’s how Frank Hugelmeyer describes a proposal by the Biden administration to limit the speed of all motorboats over 35 feet from Florida to Massachusetts. "Not only are they creating a serious safety issue, they are creating a massive negative economic impact."

Hugelmeyer is president of the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA), and he is just one of a growing number of voices expressing outrage over the proposal put forward by the U.S. Commerce Department under the auspices of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

"It’s stupid," said Jeff Angers, the president of the Center for Sportfishing Policy. "It’s not what government is supposed to do."

The far-reaching regulation would restrict speed to 10 knots or 11.5 miles per hour for all boats over 35 feet — for up to seven months out of the year and up to 100 miles out at sea for most of the East Coast.

The purpose: to prevent the boats from hitting an endangered right whale.

In an email to Fox News, an NOAA spokesman pointed out there are only 350 right whales left in the ocean.

"This rule is designed to reduce the risk of mortalities from vessel strikes and afford the species a greater opportunity to recover," the statement read.

The statement admitted, however, there have only been five deadly whale strikes by boats between 35 to 65 feet in length over the last 15 years. (Boats over 65 feet are already subject to a speed restriction.)

"It’s ridiculous," added Angers, who pointed out there’s less than a one in a million chance of a fishing boat hitting a whale, according to NOAA’s own numbers.

"Based on actual interactions between recreational boats and right whales, the proposed restrictions are unjustifiable, ineffective and unnecessary," he says.

It’s also dangerous, according to Chris Edmonston, the president of the Boat Owners Association of the United States, or Boat U.S.

Edmonston said most boats can’t get on a "plane" if they are going under 10 knots. A plane is the speed at which the bow of the boat lowers in order to cut through oncoming
    waves.

"The boats are designed to ride on top of the waves," he said. "This is going to make them wallow in the waves — up and down, side to side, pitching," he explained. "It’s going to be hard to maintain control. You can take waves over the side."

He said larger boats are especially at risk going through channels near shore.

"They can’t maintain steerage [at 10 knots,]" he added. "If you’re going that speed you’re going to [run] aground."

Safety is also a huge concern for pilot boat captain Trey Thompson.

"The crew will be thrown around, tossed around, injured," he said at the stern of one of his pilot boats speeding at 35 knots out of the port at Savannah, Georgia. "If we run at slow speeds, any side swell is going to make these boats roll."

His job is to help commercial vessels navigate from 20 miles out at sea to Savannah’s inland shipping channels.

In the past year, Thompson purchased two new 64-feet pilot boats.

"This boat we're standing on is purpose-built for this job" he explained. "[It was] just delivered eight months ago. I have a second one under construction now. " Please read more   https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden- … itics-warn

OMG --- with all we have happening in regard to the impending Border crisis this nut job ruminates on this crap? 

Give him an ice cream cone and send him off on his Christmas holiday...

This is just another example of Government overreach --- on silly steroids.

1. profile image69
      KC McGeeposted 16 months agoin reply to this

I think he's a POS

2. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Transgender Biden. What next in the new liberal world? Transgender LeBron James scoring 100s of points per game for the women's NBA nonsense.

3. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Would that be 11 mph water speed or compared to a fixed object on shore?  Will ocean currents and tides mean the absolute speed could be over that magical figure?

Who will check speeds, and how?  Do coast guard boats (or will it be Navy submarines?) carry radar guns on them?  Are they calibrated daily and used properly?  Will they even work on a surface of moving waves?  Or will the speed sensors (mesuring water speed, not absolute, and from a different position than the speeder) be used?  Will the The Coast Guard use a chip log, as was done in the past? 

You're right - this man is an idiot.  Anyone that has ever been on a small boat (rather than a cruise liner) understands about the "plane" of a boat and why it is necessary.  They all understand about waves and steering.  All but Biden, whose massive intellect cannot comprehend such difficult matters.

1. GA Anderson profile image89
        GA Andersonposted 16 months agoin reply to this

The proposed enforcement method is real-time satellite monitoring of all vessels 35 - 65 ft., in certain areas and at certain times arbitrarily determined by folks monitoring the sighting of even one Right whale.

". . .  the National Marine Fisheries Service should also consider requiring vessels covered by this rule to carry and continuously transmit automatic identification system (AIS) devices for public vessel tracking, improving monitoring and enforcement of speed limits, designate dynamic speed zones (DSZs) following the visual confirmation of a single North Atlantic right whale . . . "

$600 bank transaction tracing . . .

Tens of thousands of new IRS personnel . . .

The apparent coming government intervention into Crypto . . .

Damn, makes one wonder, doesn't it?

GA

1. Castlepaloma profile image75

Yes,  they have hired more IRS agent in their budget. Greater than the Russian troops budget.

2. DrMark1961 profile image97
          DrMark1961posted 16 months agoin reply to this

It makes me wonder why half of your country voted for the guy. I think all of them knew they were voting for more government intervention in their lives but they thought that was okay.

Your description probably fits 33% of that "half your country," (the Democrats),  but for the rest of that 'half', the Independent and cross-over Republican voters, I think their vote was more anti-Trump than pro-big government.

GA

1. DrMark1961 profile image97

Yes, I think you are correct. Brazil recently elected a person like Biden not because he was a better choice for the country, but because the outgoing president was like Trump and did not have a politicians "filter" to avoid saying what he really thinks.

Trump probably did it again when he said that drug dealers should get the death penalty since they cause so many deaths. He is making himself an even easier target for the media.

Drugs is a third of the US Economy. Drugs is only the side effects of the real core structural issues , like covid vaccines profits for the wealthy.

2. GA Anderson profile image89

In spirit, I agree with that "drug dealer" sentiment. In the context of the stereotypical 'hard drugs', (heroin, fentanyl, et al.), I suspect a lot of 'moderate' non-Trump folks would also agree. 'In spirit' of course. Special interests and the media would ensure it would be an evolutionary 'demerit' to say so out loud.

GA

1. DrMark1961 profile image97

I am sure political experts like Stephen Colbert will be sure to tell us that if reelected Trump will send children to death row for selling marijuana.

Do you think Biden even has the political strength anymore to tell a country like China to stop producing fentanyl? I think they would be quite capable as things there are so state-controlled, but he would have to threaten China with sanctions to do so. I think Trump could have told them to stop or he would halt Chinese imports, but Biden?

I don't think we can knock Pres. Biden for this, I don't think any president could do that—short of a declaration of war.  Physical war because we don't have the economic power to win an economic one.

And I don't think were have 'a carrot' that would entice them to help.

GA

2. Sharlee01 profile image84
                    Sharlee01posted 16 months agoin reply to this

Trump was a strong president, he did not just use words he backed them up, and he solved problems, even when it meant doing the unconventional.

Biden flounders, and world leaders have no respect for him. Anyone that can subjectively sit back and look at Bidens time in office can see he has created a weaker, mess of a country.  And I might add in my view,  weaker and American

3. Fayetteville Faye profile image59
                    Fayetteville Fayeposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Halt Chinese imports?? That would hurt America greatly. Even   Mr Trump's Chinese tariffs hurt regular Americans more than anything. We paid the difference. We are in no position to block Chinese imports. It would be great if we were.

In my view, much of our society has taken a turn and has become a very weak-minded majority.  They look to the government to dictate and take care of them. They certainly were not ready for a guy like Trump, that pretty much did not hide the ugly of government.  He set them back on their heels. So, Biden looked like comfy old grams that would tell them what they NEEDED to hear..."Don't worry all is going swell"  No problem with our economy, no problem at our borders, record-breaking amounts of drugs pouring in, and recorded deaths from drugs, and certainly no problem with us fighting a proxy war with Russia...  We are doing just swell.

But in reality, America has never been in such a pure mess, just spinning out of control with no one at the wheel, but a confused man that can be told to do anything, and will do it without question.

3. Fayetteville Faye profile image59
            Fayetteville Fayeposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Why folks voted for him? Mr. Trump was the alternative.  Plain and simple.

4. Sharlee01 profile image84

Thanks for addressing the subject

3. Sharlee01 profile image84

Perhaps it's time to stop wondering and face what has happened, and what will come with this form of government that is clearly concentrating on centralized government power, the kind of power to maintain political repression.

In my view, it has taken at this point a shallow root. Do we water it, or put Roundup on it, and try like hell to get a Republican back into the White House?

Biden is a hollow man being told what to do and say by leftist nut jobs. If only some Americans would delve into looking deep into the bills this ass clown had pushed through... Get ready for some really destructive BS.

With more to come. It appears that many Americans have drunk the cool aid, and are just willing to take what is handed down from whoever is calling the shots.

Yes , it's getting worse, before getting better.

I see it getting much worse. Government overreach is in every single bill Biden has pushed through.

In regard to the border, we will all have a spectacular shop to watch next week. The Biden administration saw it coming and did nothing to stop it.

Facts can be so sobering, that is if one faces them. However, as I see it, many Americans are easily diverted. I mean is it not evident how quickly the subject of this thread as most spun in many different directions?

As you know, I post many threads here on HPs. I am a person that likes to learn by watching and observing human nature.  It seems when a problem is a large problem, people like to spin away from the problem quickly. Just tucking it away somewhere where it does not need to be dealt with or thought of.  A form of fight or flight.

3. Sharlee01 profile image84

Thank you for addressing the subject.

It's  actually a cold world war that is happening.  The G7 is loosing ground fast. The good news is that the bad guys running the show are also being found out faster.  I've adjusted being more stable now with tiny housing community,  health food and freedom. Just don't find honest or healthy answers through Governments or super wealthy hierarchy.

I so agree with your sentiment. I think many across the world are waking up to some sobering revelations. Are we too late? Hopefully not.  I have all but given up on America, and look to live elsewhere in the world eventually. I love Mexico and enjoy 4 or five months a year there.

I miss and love my house in Belize. Mexico also has some great spots, avoid border towns. If one has a number of skills, one can live anywhere in the world, except the oddball few countries. Or wait , and there is a blue lining in every situation.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)