The Republican Leadership Battle

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)
  1. GA Anderson profile image90
    GA Andersonposted 15 months ago

Is the current battle proof that McCarthy is not the right 'leader' for the job, or is his tenacity proof that he is because he won't let the tail of the '20' wag the dog of the party?

I don't think he is the right choice. I don't agree with the 'characteristics' of the "20" but I don't disagree with the 'same old politics' points of Gaetz's speech.

GA

1. IslandBites profile image89
      IslandBitesposted 15 months agoin reply to this

The problem is when the "new" one is worse than the "same old".

Plus, I "suspect" the real gripe with him is that he wasnt loyal enough to their "cause".

GA Andersonposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Yeah, there are so many motive possibilities, from believing what they say in their 'opposition' speeches to unbridled self-interests.

Based on his political history I don't think McCarthy is the man for the job and based on media presentations of the characters of the Freedom Caucus I don't think they are right for the position.

It would be great if their mantle was what they really are. I agree with many points of their speeches. But this is a Republican thing, and the '20' are said to be a bunch of election-deniers, so, other than being interested in the prospect of some political change, I'm not digging into anyone's motives. They will be clear soon enough.

GA

2. Sharlee01 profile image81
      Sharlee01posted 15 months agoin reply to this

I think this past week we witnessed pure democracy. Two sides heard, both sides compromising. Will we be better with McCarthy at the helm?  In my view, it would seem anything would be a step up from what we have witnessed in the past two years. One only needs to delve a bit into any one of the bills that were pasted. We have many surprises that will emerge from the bills Biden pushed through.

So, is Kevin the guy to bring change, and fix some problems? I guess we will find out. I have shared several thoughts on McCarthy here over the years.

Some good, some pretty bad. I think one thing really sticks out about this man --- his sheer passion.  Not long ago I sat up through a long night (Nov of 2021)watching him filibuster Democrats’ passage of the Build Back Better package.  I literally could not turn off the tube. Did his speech result ultimately result in a Build Back Better light package? It may have, the light version was not passed until Aug 2022.  I think this was another good form of negotiating to come up with a lighter spending bill.  So, this week sort of proved to me, he still has good negotiation skills and defiantly passion. (these are a few commonalities  Pelosi and McCarthy share)

I don't think I have ever witnessed such passion... He showed himself to be so well-spoken, quick on his feet, and knowledgeable of what he spoke. he laid out all the garbage that was added to the bill.    All I can hope is he brings just a bit of all of that to the
      House Floor. I won't share my negative views.

I will stay optimistic and wish him well. I mean I will let the media hang out the dirty laundry.

1. Fayetteville Faye profile image59
        Fayetteville Fayeposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Mr McCarthy is clearly a man who would sell his soul to the devil for whatever power he thirsts for.  He has no ideology, no position whatsoever. It's whatever gets him through the day.

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Are you speaking of McCarthy or Pelosi?  Or maybe H. Clinton?

3. Ken Burgess profile image77
      Ken Burgessposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Just remnants of the Tea-Party and Trump-era type politicians making a small nuisance of themselves.

It is a good sign of how ineffectual they will be going forward, how limited their ability to affect change.  They will be marginalized and largely ignored, as will those of similar mindsets who voted them there.

States like Florida will be bastions of sanity and conservatism for a while longer, but the Federal Government is permanently lost, Trump was the last gasp, last hurrah... Trump served as an accelerant to the change, and to ensuring there would be no other, he was so detestable and deplorable to 'the establishment' that they will go to extreme efforts now, and in the future, to ensure no semblance of threat is allowed into power again.

It will be interesting to see what is done to Musk in the future.  His billions and his brilliance has caused a conundrum for them, but eventually they will get around to fixing this problem, just like they fixed Trump.

For those of lesser means, they will just be tagged as threats to America, and be silenced or shut down as needed.

GA Andersonposted 15 months agoin reply to this

With those roots, they should have a snappier name. Maybe the 'Freedom Phoenix' Caucus?

GA

2. Fayetteville Faye profile image59
        Fayetteville Fayeposted 15 months agoin reply to this

God lord, Florida is no Brain trust by any means.  I see it as more of a hotbed of hate.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 15 months ago

What we witnessed in the past two years:

Democrats attracted the votes of a dozen — and sometimes more — Republicans to shore up the nation’s crumbling infrastructure, ramp up domestic production of semiconductor chips, tighten gun laws, protect same-sex marriage, strengthen protections for women from intimate partner violence, make lynching a federal hate crime, reform procedures for certifying the electoral college vote, revamp retirement savings programs, bolster veterans’ health benefits, send tens of billions to Ukraine to thwart Russian aggression, and confirm Ketanji Brown Jackson as the nation’s first Black woman Supreme Court justice.

Other times, Democrats moved on alone — including covering the costs of coronavirus vaccines and other pandemic aid, boosting health-care subsidies, expanding tax breaks for low-income Americans, funding clean energy to battle climate change, lowering the costs of prescription drugs and capping insulin prices.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)