Look Here Not There

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Sharlee01 profile image77
    Sharlee01posted 14 months ago

https://hubstatic.com/16383855.jpg

Has news reporting become nothing more than salacious entertainment?  Has society become sponges that believe much of what they hear nightly from talk jock that have a bit of a flare for the dramatic?  ( I am using the Fox/Dominion story as an example, to help make my point in regard to the problem I see with how the news is being presented.)  So, be assured I feel the Fox ploy was disgusting, dishonest, and unethical yata yata yata ------ 

The latest scandal involves Dominion a company that provides many of our voting machines here in America suing Fox news. Dominion claims approximately 115 statements that Fox hosts and guests stated about Dominion were untrue and defamatory.

It is being reported widely that the hosts themselves did not believe the allegations they were nightly reporting, and Dominion has released text that indeed appears to prove this was the case.  The texts are compelling and in my opinion. are view-oriented, the hosts share their true feelings, and have frustrations with what they are being requested by their producers and "higher ups" to report. The text in my view appears to be the bigwigs wanting to boost nightly ratings.

My problem with all of this is that the story is causing such a stir...   I mean have we not as of yet become accustomed to the media reporting not much more than allegations wrapped in riddles,  being artfully offered up as "most likely" true?   So convincingly encouraged to please buy into what is being reported, and hopefully spread it as quickly as possible so it can grow in size and context, and ultimately become true to many.

This Fox story is not much different than the many sensational reports we have been exposed to over the past decade. It certainly is disgusting, and truely outs or clarifies what many citizens have already come to realize ---  the news we hear should not be taken literally, but more or less as entertainment.

Look here, not there...

Would it not be optimal if our news is fact-checked before it is aired to millions?

Do we ultimately only need to hear the truth, with conjecture left out?

Do incomplete views really have a place in news reporting?

I mean, could we be left on our own to form views on issues, and form our own possible scenarios without help from talking heads?

And most importantly --- are you able to digest the truth, no really?

1. Nathanville profile image92
      Nathanvilleposted 14 months agoin reply to this

I don’t want to get embroiled in American politics, but on reading your intro to this forum, especially where you say “I mean, could we be left on our own to form views on issues, and form our own possible scenarios without help from talking heads?” – Your comment reminded me of the ‘No Comment’ footage on EuroNews (European TV News Channel, broadcasted across Europe in English) in between their news.  The ‘No Comment’ footage, slotted in between their normal news service is several minutes of footage of events around the world, where the TV News Channel makes no comment, and leaves it to the viewer to form their own opinion.

Here’s an example of the ‘No Comments’ videos broadcast on EuroNews:  https://youtu.be/xW-aSxbWx3U

Sharlee01posted 14 months agoin reply to this

Long ago, our news was reported as very matter-of-fact. The 'newscaster was as the term presents -- a caster of news. Yes, a newscaster with a snide remarker or a dramatic look could project their thoughts on a report. However, as a rule, one received a news report without much of the caster's personal views.

Yep, that's very much how the news is presented on TV in Britain e.g. the newscaster is a caster of news, without interjecting any personal views or comments - And that's because in the UK news on TV & Radio is heavily regulated, specifically under:

*  Sections 319(2)(c) and (d), 319(8) and section 320 of the Communications Act 2003,

*  Article 7 of the European Convention on Transfrontier Television (for ECTT Services only).

*  The BBC Charter and Agreement, and

*  Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

The above referenced laws are there to ensure that news, in whatever form, is reported with due accuracy and presented with due impartiality.

The worse case scenario for a blatant, and continued, breach of the Regulations would be that the Authorities revokes the Broadcasting licence, preventing the TV Channel from making any further broadcasts in the UK e.g. the Authorities revoked China's broadcasting rights in the UK in 2021, and Russia's last year.

I appreciated how the news was the news, and little opinion was added. It promoted discussion of a personal face-to-face nature. We openly shared views, and yes, sometimes came out changing views due to the case another laid out.  Sort of like a cocktail, put it all in a shaker, and blend it. At the end as a rule we all share in concocting a bit of the final bevvy.

Yep smile

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 14 months agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, news is entertainment.  One has to be very discerning to separate facts from the other hyperbolic conjecture.  It used to be that news reporters were impartial.  Not anymore, news reporters as with other journalists are very partial in their reporting.

Precisely, I think the opinionated news we get today is over the top. I feel the nightly "shows", are just that show's, pure entertainment at this point.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 14 months ago

"Would it not be optimal if our news is fact-checked before it is aired to millions?"

Many do. It is up to us to find them and ignore the others.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 14 months agoin reply to this

Yes, there are discerning people who sift through the propaganda known as the news.

1. Ken Burgess profile image77
        Ken Burgessposted 13 months agoin reply to this

A necessity if one wants to get anywhere near the truth of a matter.

Our media goes out of its way to bury more stories than present them these days.

There is runaway inflation and massive protests going on in various EU nations, is our media covering it?

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2022 … ow-it-down

And forget what they are reporting about the Ukraine war, some of these ludicrous reports contend that Ukraine will soon be victorious, when nothing is further from the truth.

I quoted something the other day that stuck with me... we (the West) are living in a post-truth world.  Especially our MSM.

3. abwilliams profile image69
    abwilliamsposted 14 months ago

There are news channels that I've viewed at one time or another, OAN and Newsmax.
    Apparently, the powers that be, don't like that I or anyone else have made the choice to turn the dial to those networks.
    The powers that be...are working to make it more difficult or impossible to view these particular news networks!

So, all of that to say, I believe that news reporting MUST fit a certain narrative or else...it's the chopping block for them!

I'm not coming to you from North Korea, just FYI and something to ponder.

4. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 14 months ago

Just for fun and something to think about for a moment or two. In 1973 a song by a long-haired hippie type some say was a genius in his own right are the lyrics following - Frank Zappa; I'm the Slime.

I am gross and perverted
    I'm obsessed and deranged
    I have existed for years
    But very little has changed
    I'm the tool of the Government
    And industry too
    For I am destined to rule
    And regulate you

I may be vile and pernicious
    But you can't look away
    I make you think I'm delicious
    With the stuff that I say
    I'm the best you can get
    Have you guessed me yet?
    I'm the slime oozin' out
    From your TV set

You will obey me while I lead you
    And eat the garbage that I feed you
    Until the day that we don't need you
    Don't go for help, no one will heed you
    Your mind is totally controlled
    It has been stuffed into my mold
    And you will do as you are told
    Until the rights to you are sold

That's right, folks
    Don't touch that dial

Well, I am the slime from your video
    Oozin' along on your livin' room floor
    I am the slime from your video
    Can't stop the slime, people, look at me go
    Oozin' along on your livin' room floor
    Can't stop the slime, people, look at me go

A little about him;

"Many uninformed observers saw — and perhaps still see — Zappa as a far-out liberal drug-crazed hippie and strictly zany mustachioed madman. This perception is far from the truth. Zappa thought of drugs and alcohol as stupidity enhancers, fueling instead with black coffee, peanut butter, and cigarettes. Even before he cut his hair and started wearing suits in the mid-1980s, he was a businessman whose viewpoints were as rational as they were radical. He identified as a “practical conservative” and “Constitutional fundamentalist,” favoring limited government and low taxes. “I was never a hippie,” he said. “Always a freak, but never a hippie. ”His misconstrued reputation reflects the errors of assumptions and black-and-white judgments, and his approach to politics, music and life reflected a defiance of such ideology."

Thank you...   Seems in today's world assumption has become a tool that is being overused.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)