Biden's Border Mess

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Sharlee01 profile image84
    Sharlee01posted 9 months ago

I must ask ---  Are you OK with the mess this administration has made at the border?  What the hell!

https://hubstatic.com/16644717_f1024.jpg
    https://www.statista.com/chart/20326/me … us-border/

How many illegal crossings under
    Obama?
    Trump?
    Biden?

I think a chart can say it loud and clear! The border is broken... And who the hell knows why this president wanted to usher in over 5 million illegal migrants?

Got any ideas?   No really, why have our Government let over 5 million walk into our country?   

And then there is this --- This administration is responsible for 85,000 undocumented children missing in America.

SOURCE    https://oversight.house.gov/release/hea … %EF%BF%BC/
    "Hearing Wrap Up: ORR Director Fails to Answer Questions About 85,000 Lost Unaccompanied Alien Children, Flawed Vetting of Sponsors, and More

WASHINGTON—TheSubcommittee on National Security, the Border, and Foreign Affairs today held a hearing titled “Oversight of the Office of Refugee Resettlement’s Unaccompanied Alien Children Program.” Subcommittee members discussed how unprecedented levels of illegal border crossings, incentivized by the Biden Administration’s policies, have overwhelmed the Department of Health and Human Services’ (HHS) Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) and endangered migrant children. Robin Dunn Marcos, Director of ORR, was unable to answer basic questions about HHS’s handling of unaccompanied alien children (UAC), which has prioritized the speedy release of UAC over their safety.

Key Takeaways:

Unprecedented levels of illegal border crossings, incentivized by the Biden Administration’s policies, have overwhelmed ORR.

“Since President Biden has been in office, there have been over 4.8 million migrant encounters at the Southwest border, not including the roughly 1.3 million gotaways who evaded law enforcement completely and entered our country undetected. This unprecedented national security and humanitarian crisis has overwhelmed federal officials and endangered the well-being of unaccompanied and migrant children as a result,” Rep. Jake LaTurner (R-Kan.) said during the hearing.
    In Fiscal Year 2022, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) referred nearly 129,000 UAC to HHS compared to roughly 15,000 in Fiscal Year 2020.
    ORR’s negligence has endangered UAC.

The ORR director couldn’t answer questions about reports that show HHS has lost contact with more than 85,000 migrant children in the past two years.
    Two-thirds of all UAC that leave HHS’s care work illegal, full time jobs, often in factories and in hazardous conditions.
    Caseworkers within ORR claim that HHS regularly ignored obvious signs of labor exploitation, such as single sponsors sponsoring multiple UAC, “hot spots” in the country where many UAC sponsors are not the children’s parents, UAC with significant debts, and direct reports of trafficking.
    “We’ve heard stories – I’ve been to the border seven or eight times – and heard the stories directly from people who are federal agents and others who’ve said it is very routine that a person was put with an older person, and then they found out that that was not even their family,” Rep. Pete Sessions (R-Texas) said during the hearing.
    During the hearing, ORR director admitted that only slightly more than a third of UAC’s end up with a parent. “In this fiscal year, I believe 37 percent of children end up with their parent.”
    We need to secure our border to end this crisis."

News Week --   Under Joe Biden, Have 85,000 Undocumented Children Gone 'Missing'?   https://www.newsweek.com/under-joe-bide … ng-1812728

"Houston -  " We don't know whether these kids are going to school. Whether they are getting the health care they need. Whether they are being forced into involuntary servitude. Whether they are being sexually abused or neglected...we just don't know. And the Biden administration can not tell you. And that Mr. President is completely unacceptable."

Texas Senator John Cornyn sounding the alarm....and pointing the finger of blame squarely at the White House.  I think there's no question many of these kids are being exploited... and not near enough is being done to intervene. "
    https://www.fox26houston.com/whats-your … your-point
    https://nypost.com/2023/04/28/republica … rant-kids/

Can you simply answer these questions or do you want to dance around them?
    Where are these children?--- 85,000
    Who should be held responsible for losing them?

1. profile image56
      CharlieColemanposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Since title 42 has ended numbers are going down with Biden's policies. The first two years of his presidency he was constrained under the Trump administration policy of title 42 as he was unable to end it. Biden's new rules are showing success but unfortunately a judge has come in and challenged them. Hopefully they will remain in place as this matter works its way through the court system.
      Any of the issues you speak of happened under the Trump administration policies that Biden was only able to get rid of this month with the ending of title 42. I expect to see positive changes.
      https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-jud … .%20entry.

As far as children separated from their parents,  — A Biden administration task force designed to reunite children separated from their families during President Trump’s presidency has reconnected nearly 700 children with their families"

According to figures released by the Department of Homeland Security, 3,881 children were separated from their families from 2017 to 2021. About 74% of those have been reunited with their families: 2,176 before the task force was created and 689 afterward.
      https://apnews.com/article/biden-politi … 3a6efcfa99

Title 8 was the law of the land in the presidencies mentioned on the posted chart with the exception of when Trump instituted title 42. So I would say it worked well at one point and will work again.

Border patrol has made the following statement just about a month ago,
      “As a result of comprehensive planning and preparation efforts, there has been a significant reduction in encounters along the Southwest border since the return to full Title 8 immigration. 

So maybe this is the point in time that people can begin to  judge Biden on how effective his management of immigration really is and not on his working with  the policies he was stuck with when he entered office.

2. Sharlee01 profile image84

Hey, folks hope if you are going to comment on my thread you will address the question. Please note sources in OP.

How many illegal crossings under
      Obama?
      Trump?
      Biden?

I think a chart can say it loud and clear! The border is broken... And who the hell knows why this president wanted to usher in over 5 million illegal migrants?

Got any ideas?   No really, why have our Government let over 5 million walk into our country?   

Who should be held responsible for losing them?

1. Valeant profile image86
        Valeantposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Except your statement that any president 'wanted to usher in over 5 million illegal migrants' is false in a number of ways.  First, that any president has that motivation is false.  Second, that those 5 million apprehensions equate to being actually 'ushered in.'  That claim ignores the number of those immigrants that were immediately deported under Title 42 and other measures.

Let alone ignoring the cause and effect of what the Covid virus did to Central American countries and how that is affecting people coming from those 'other countries' that you listed, but just putting the rise onto Biden is the usual partisanship that ignores basic facts.

Lastly, the OP ignores that Title 42 let to an increase in retry rates by up to 25% in year-to-year.  So many facts that get ignored to lob partisan attacks.  Hardly worth the time to respond to such a thread based on falsities and omissions.

1. Willowarbor profile image60
          Willowarborposted 9 months agoin reply to this

In terms of the 5 million number, title 42 is largely the culprit

Under title 42, the numbers of encounters were often misconstrued as a record of individual migrants. But the tally of encounters doesn't account for migrants who illegally cross multiple times , one person could be counted as multiple encounters. And since Title 42 is not an immigration policy, there are no legal consequences for getting expelled, unlike for those processed under long-standing U.S. immigration law.
          Nearly half of all people processed under Title 42 in budget year 2021, the first full year the policy was in effect, had previously tried to cross into the U.S., according to Border Patrol data obtained by ABC News.

By comparison, those processed under Title 8, which again is the law of the land, the standard immigration authority which has consequences for repeat offenses, had a recidivist rate of just 3%..
          I wish that there were more outlets that report the complexities and nuances of an entire story.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
        Kathleen Cochranposted 9 months agoin reply to this

"Hey, folks hope if you are going to comment on my thread you will address the question."

In other words, if this discussion doesn't go where I want it to go I'd just as soon you not participate.

Your premise is false. You can't blame participants for not confirming it.

"The number of migrants caught crossing the border illegally plummeted in recent months after the new regulation went into place. " Reuters

1. Sharlee01 profile image84
          Sharlee01posted 9 months agoin reply to this

The point I shared here --- Biden let over 5 million come into our country in two years.

I pointed out that  Obama and Trump had far fewer numbers, and hoped the sheer number under Biden would perhaps shock some into reality.

Just saying the numbers have fallen last month is just not a very good example of a bandaid, To take away the that he left the borders open and gathered over 5 million, illegal migrants, and the increase in unaccompanied children during the Biden administration is more than shocking when compared to any other administration.   Over  Biden's two years,.638,251 have entered America. This number does not take 2023 into account.

I have little respect for those that try to add band-aids to any given problem after the fact. This type might well convenience themselves, but generally not convenience anyone with a modicum of common sense.

The ugly bottom line 5 million illegals enter America --- and 638,251 unaccompanied children. This is historic, and in my view, purposeful.

Your point that crossings are down for the month makes little sense. In fact this morning it's being reported the numbers are climbing once again this month

"Number of migrant families with kids crossing U.S. border nearly triples in two months.

The increase adds to concern among some senior Biden administration officials that overall migrant border crossings, which had fallen after Title 42 ended, might be rising again."

"The number of migrant families with children crossing the southern border has nearly tripled in the past two months, according to Customs and Border Protection data obtained by NBC News, feeding concern among some senior administration officials about a potential uptick in overall migrant crossings.

Earlier this week, more than 2,230 migrants were crossing the border daily on average, up from 790 in early June. While single adults are still the largest demographic seen at the border, families are the fastest-growing demographic of undocumented border crossers, according to the data. Most of the migrants are from northern Central America and Mexico, according to the data."
          https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigr … -rcna96477

https://hubstatic.com/16647168_f1024.jpg

Willowarborposted 9 months agoin reply to this

To take away the that he left the borders open and gathered over 5 million, illegal migrants

Is this taking into account the fact that these numbers were gathered under title 42? Under that Trump era policy that continued into the Biden administration, people were counted each time they were quickly turned away from the border and presented themselves again. Some as many as three, four or five times in a short time span. Is there a reliable source for this 5 million number?
            I would like someone, anyone, to discuss the differences in immigration policy during the Trump administration and of the Biden administration's first two years.
            For those who criticize Bidem's recent policies, can you comment on how they are different than measures even Trump had in place? His recent asylum ban has been compared to Trump's Transit ban and has been similarly blocked by a federal court.
            Additionally, can anyone discuss the so-called "push" factors that drive migration? There's a lot of talk about solely the "pull" factors.
            There seems to be a growing trend in this country to find one person or one factor to pin the blame of an entire issue onto without looking at contributing factors.

3. Sharlee01 profile image84

Where are these missing children ---     Feb 28, 2023 — Arriving in record numbers, they're ending up in dangerous jobs that violate child labor laws — including in factories that make products for ...   New York Times
      https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/25/us/u … ation.html

"ORR has provided care for and found suitable sponsors for over 410,000 unaccompanied children. For the first nine years of the UC Program at ORR, fewer than 8,000 children were served annually.

"ORR has provided care for and found suitable sponsors for over 410,000 unaccompanied children. For the first
      nine years of the UC Program at ORR, fewer than 8,000 children were served annually. Since Fiscal Year 2012
      (October 1, 2011 – September 30, 2012), this number has jumped dramatically, with a total of 13,625 children
      referred to ORR by the end of FY 2012. The program received 24,668 unaccompanied children’s referrals from
      DHS in FY 2013, 57,496 referrals in FY 2014, 33,726 referrals in FY 2015, 59,170 in FY 2016, 40,810 in FY 2017,
      49,100 in FY 2018, 69,488 in FY 2019, and 15,381 in FY 2020.

122,731 in FY 2021. In FY 2022, DHS referred
      128,904 unaccompanied children to ORR."
      Source    https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files … -sheet.pdf

The increase in unaccompanied children during the Biden administration is more than shocking when compared to any other administration.   Over  Biden's two years,251.638 have entered America. This number does not take 2023 into account.

And to think so many of these children are not accounted for...

Willowarborposted 9 months ago

A Facebook post by former U.S. senatorial candidate Peggy Hubbard, posted on 11 July, 2023, read: "85,000 + illegal migrant children have gone 'missing' according to DHS Since Biden took office. MSM [mainstream media] didn't report on this fact, why?"

To find out whether that claim warranted merit, Newsweek investigated the story which led to it.

To start, the figure appears to be sourced from a New York Times article, published in February 2023, about migrant children working in jobs that violate labor laws.

The Times report also included figures attributed to the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) about monitoring checks carried out on all unaccompanied minors who'd been homed after entering the U.S.

It continues, While H.H.S. checks on all minors by calling them a month after they begin living with their sponsors, data obtained by The Times showed that over the last two years, the agency could not reach more than 85,000 children," the article read.

Newsweek has contacted the article's author, Hannah Dreier, via email for comment and data.

As the article states, if an unaccompanied child is referred to the HHS—more specifically, its Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR)—efforts are then made to put them into the care of a sponsor.

As an HHS fact check released in 2023 confirms: "As soon as children enter ORR care, they are put in contact with their parents, guardians, or relatives, if known, and the process of finding a suitable sponsor begins.

"The vast majority of sponsors are a parent or a close family relative living in the United States."

After these minors are put into the care of a sponsor, the ORR then carries out "safety and well-being" calls to follow-up on the arrangement. A 2023 ORR audit stated: "While sponsors and children are not required to respond to a call and sometimes contact information is no longer accurate, ORR makes at least three separate attempts to call all available phone numbers to reach both the child and sponsor."

An audit claimed that ORR was able to reach the sponsor, the child, or both in more than 80 percent of cases.

This is slightly confusing, as it doesn't seem to fit with the figures provided by the New York Times.

Newsweek has contacted HSS to clarify.

What is clear is that when check-in calls are not received, that is not the same as saying a child has gone missing or disappeared.

This is where the confusion and conflation appear to have started.

After the New York Times published its article, a number of Republican senators and representatives began scrutinizing the HHS. Some appeared to suggest that 85,000 children had gone missing, not that follow-up contact hadn't been established in that number of cases.

At an April 2023 Committee on Oversight and Accountability hearing, ORR director Robin Dunn Marcos stated: "I would like to set the record straight, we did not lose anyone. We provide safety and well-being calls between 30 and 37 days after release.

"ORR's custodial authority ends when they are discharged to a vetted sponsor. However, our concern does not and we have a number of things in place where we try to maintain contact..." When pressed Dunn Marcos repeated that ORR custodial authority ends after a child is discharged to a sponsor.

My conclusion?

this issue was markedly different from the way it was described by some politicians and public figures elsewhere.

2. Willowarbor profile image60
        Willowarborposted 9 months ago

I find the charts somewhat misleading. How much do Joe Biden’s immigration policies differ from those of Trump?  I think we also need to remember that Biden was working under Trump's title 42 during the first two years of his term. Which has always led me to question the criticism of Biden. I think there is no question though that currently title 8 is working more effectively.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)