Are Americans fed up with ‘Politics’? How about you?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (34 posts)
  1. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 6 months ago

Pew Research published an article based on a study on Sept. 19, 2023. It is titled Americans’ Dismal Views of the Nation’s Politics
    65% say they always or often feel exhausted when thinking about politics
    https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 … -politics/

Sixty-five percent? That is over 168 million people over the age of 18. Those are eligible voters.

Let’s get to the nitty-gritty right off the bat. Let me ask questions now about being fed up with politics.

First, Does being fed up mean they will or will not vote come 2024?

Second, would you bet your bottom dollar our politicians today will give attention to this study?

Are you fed up with politics in the U.S.? Not Biden, not Trump, not Democrats, not Republicans, but Politics itself. Yes, those mentioned are in the mix and are focal points contributing to problems depending on perspective. But, overall does politics today stink to high heaven?

How long do you think Americans have had the perspective that politics stinks to high heaven? In your view was there a turning point? Why?

Today, is it a generational thing? Does how one feels the importance of politics come into play differ by age group? 

What are your thoughts on how to right the ship of the public’s sentiment on politics? Is that important? Does it matter when thinking of the future of this nation? How long will it take? Do you trust our politicians today to do it? What about the system itself? 

Next, the following are some of the highlights of the report produced by Pew Research. Let me clarify, from page one of the twelve-page report.

** Just 4% of U.S. adults say the political system is working extremely or very well; another 23% say it is working somewhat well. About six-in-ten (63%) express not too much or no confidence at all in the future of the U.S. political system.

** Positive views of many governmental and political institutions are at historic lows. Just 16% of the public say they trust the federal government always or most of the time.

** A growing share of the public dislikes both political parties. Nearly three-in-ten (28%) express unfavorable views of both parties, the highest share in three decades of polling. And a comparable share of adults (25%) do not feel well-represented by either party.

** Candidate choices are underwhelming. As the presidential campaign heats up, 63% of Americans say they are dissatisfied with the candidates who have emerged so far. Just 26% rate the quality of political candidates as very or somewhat good, down about 20 percentage points since 2018.

** How Americans feel when they think about politics.

Exhausted = 65%
    Angry = 55%
    Hopeful = 10%
    Excited = 4%

** Top descriptive words for the state of politics today
    Divisive
    Corrupt
    Chaos
    Messy
    Polarized

The questions for the OP have been asked. But, just for enticement if it strikes curiosity listed next are the twelve topics of the report. They each may be a talking point. The link to the page is provided for convenience.

1 - Introduction with general sentiment. That is the landing page from the link above. Highlights were discovered earlier in the OP.

2 - The biggest problems and greatest strengths of the U.S. political system
    https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 … al-system/

3 - Views of the U.S. political system, the federal government, and federal-state relations
    https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 … relations/

4 - How Americans view Congress, the president, state and local political leaders
    https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 … l-leaders/

5 - The Republican and Democratic parties
    https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 … c-parties/

6 - Money, power, and the influence of ordinary people in American politics

7 - Evaluations of members of Congress and the biggest problem with elected officials today
    https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 … als-today/

8 - Candidate quality and what drives elected officials to run for office
    https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 … or-office/

9 - The presidency and presidential politics

10 - How well the major parties represent Americans, the public’s feelings about more political parties
    https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 … l-parties/

11 - How Americans view proposals to change the political system
    https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 … al-system/

12 - Americans’ feelings about politics, polarization and the tone of political discourse
    https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 … discourse/

Acknowledgments
    https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 … ledgments/

Survey Methodology
    https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 … thodology/

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 6 months agoin reply to this

I wish.

1. tsmog profile image84
        tsmogposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Wish what?

Wish the voting wouldn't be greater than the last time.  The two top scammers in the world are the madd Financial greedy and the Government Gods. They won't loose their superpowers unless we ignore them.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Many Americans are seeing through politics & politicians.  They realize that politicians are playing chess w/the former's lives.  They know that politicians only view them as pawns in their career goals.  They indicated that politicians are only concerned w/celebrity, aggrandizement, & their own posterity after political careers.   As the saying goes, politics is celebrity for others. 

Politics is now a lucrative game.  Many are going into politics as a stepping stone to other venues.  Politics is a way of gaining wealth.  Also Republicans & Democrats are playing the party game.  They say one thing to the public yet they socialize w/each other.   

Also, there are people who feel powerless & view politicians as godlike figures who will save them socioeconomically.  Many people are realizing that the politicians won't save.  They contend that they have to take responsibility for themselves & their families.  They are learning to own & exercise their own power.

Interesting you mentioned a game of chess is much like political game of hirachy. Out out 600 games a person can play in the game of life. Chess was the worse game overall studied and Tit for tat was the best game in life. Tit for tat was codified as a game theory strategy by mathematical psychologist Anatol Rapoport, but it builds upon our instinctual notions of reciprocity. It teaches us that our best option when dealing with other people we cannot trust entirely is to reciprocate their choices.. I was  one of crossroads for me becoming an mini anarchist. A deeply misunderstood way of thinking,, even atheist are understood better.  I like knowing things and being the king of my own domain. No one above me and no one below me, strong individualism.

2. tsmog profile image84

Yes, I agree with much of what you shared, Grace. Power, power, power! An article from 2016 by the Atlantic says, "New research suggests being in charge is appealing because it offers freedom—not because it allows people to control others." Do you believe that? I waver on it from a personal perspective. I will have to ponder our politicians!!

People Want Power Because They Want Autonomy by the Atlantic (Mar 22, 2016)
        https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch … my/474669/

When I was in charge of a Tire & Repair store I didn't feel I was powerful, though those who were under my charge may have felt so. I believed I was being responsible to them allowing them to exercise their freedom to grow as an individual while gathering experience in their trade.

However, when I worked in the corporate office I was a lone person in my office. I had six people in the corporate arena that had charge over me. They conflicted too as to who got priority for my projects. Of course, the owner of the company came first. As you can see I had my own pecking order. I was able to exercise my power, yet at times I suffered from it.

3. Readmikenow profile image95
      Readmikenowposted 6 months agoin reply to this

I would have to agree with this assessment.

Too much has happened that has drained a person's emotions and taxed their thinking.

Politics in the United States is now very intense mentally and emotionally.

I would say U.S. citizens are burning out on all the shocking and upsetting political events taking place.

1. tsmog profile image84

The 65% say that they are exhausted from politics is somewhat alarming to me. Also, "Just 4% of U.S. adults say the political system is working extremely or very well."

Then comes the top descriptive words of the state of politics:

Divisive
        Corrupt
        Chaos
        Messy
        Polarized

Personally, I am somewhat numb about it.

4. Credence2 profile image77
      Credence2posted 6 months agoin reply to this

I can never get bored with politics as what happens in Washington or Tallahassee can affect the quality of my life. I can never to be lulled into complacency or indifference because I am wary of the sheer power these people have.

1. tsmog profile image84

I'm proud of you Cred! I have a strong interest in politics only because of the fun in these forums. Otherwise, I wouldn't really care. Sad!

Yet, what are your feelings about average Joe and Jill? The study says only 4% think the system is working. Only 16% say they trust our federal government. Those two alone speak volumes to me.

1. Credence2 profile image77

Yeah, the forums help me let off a little steam.

In reality, for the most part the system have never really "worked" as an ideal. It continues to be a work in progress. In the march of human events, what is perfect? Well, I have a little more faith in our institutions than that.

Some repairs consistently were needed in the past and will be needed in the future. But the idea of government from, by and for the people must always be at the forefront. We lose sight of that, we lose our identity in its entirety.

1. tsmog profile image84

Agreed, Cred!! " . . . of the people, by the people, for the people . . ." Along with that, I bear in mind from the preamble of the Constitution the blessings clause - "secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity"

5. Ken Burgess profile image76
      Ken Burgessposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Those are some very ENCOURAGING numbers, taking some liberty with them, I'd say that means at least a third recognize our federal government, the corruption, the lack of accountability to the people, is THE problem.

The Federal government is out of control, at home, and abroad.  It is bringing about our economic destruction, our civil deconstruction, and is cultivating conflict in too many places across the globe.

Why?

Because it serves the interests of the Billionaire and Trillionaire class, because of Lobbyists and how the unelected now run the country... the CIA, NSA, FBI, Department of Justice, FDA, EPA, IRS, etc. etc. none of these agencies and departments are elected positions... some of them have become more powerful than Congress itself.

The system is completely broken, voting no longer matters, the politicians you are given to choose from at the federal level are, overwhelmingly, part of the same corrupt system.

That so many recognize this is the most hopeful statistic I have seen in many years... it means when the real hard times hit (Biden has them coming full speed ahead) enough of the American public might have had enough to stand up and do something.

1. tsmog profile image84

"Those are some very ENCOURAGING numbers, taking some liberty with them, I'd say that means at least a third recognize our federal government, the corruption, the lack of accountability to the people, is THE problem."

Ken, that certainly is another perspective that rings the bell of truth. Yes, with the public's sentiment so low on the political system is stating they're fed up and want change. If not they just won't participate, right?

Plus, a vacuum will occur and as with what science says something will fill that vacuum. Nature always wants to fill a vacuum, but with what is the question?

1. Ken Burgess profile image76

Who can say... maybe it is not my destiny to die of old age in a comfortable bed. 

Maybe it is not the destiny of our generation to roll over and accept the demise of all our fathers and grandfathers worked, fought, and persevered to create.

Maybe all it will take is the inevitable, soon to come, collapse of our economy.  Then in one last great effort, our generation will stand up and right the wrongs we have allowed to happen over these past decades and set about ensuring this is a Nation by the People and for the People again.

Today it is not. 

There I said it... I voiced a truth we all try to dance around.

Today our government is a totalitarian and oppressive empire that is determined to make the rest of the world heel under its boot.

Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Russia, Iran, China... how many nations are we going to war against... to destroy and leave in ruins?

The Stages of Totalitarianism: America Is Moving from Authoritarian to Totalitarian

I felt much freer in Bosnia this summer than I do now in the United States. In every city I visited there, I found no restrictions on travel, speech, or medical decision-making. Criminality was frowned upon, rather than encouraged. The people I spoke with appeared to be well-informed on issues of importance to their local community. In contrast, Los Angeles, where I live and work, is an authoritarian city. So is the state of California. And so is the United States as a whole. Soon, though, America may progress from an authoritarian nation to a totalitarian state. How did we arrive at this stage?

We lost freedom of speech a long time ago. And we allowed it to happen by first ceding control of our language to authoritarians. We agreed to substitute the word “theft” with “equity,” “revenge” with “social justice,” “racism” with “anti-racism,” and “homogeneity, discrimination, and exclusion” with “diversity, equity, and inclusion.” Even the most basic of words, “male,” has now been redefined from “of or referring to men or boys” to “having a gender identity that is the opposite of female.” Merriam-Webster made this decision in 2020.

He who controls language controls society. The American people no longer control their language. The authoritarians do, and they alone decide what words mean and who can use them.

No governing system becomes totalitarian overnight. It must first pass through a stage of authoritarianism, where freedoms are slowly removed, as overlords issue pronouncements on what their subjects can no longer do. One of the first to go, perhaps the most important, is the freedom to express ourselves without constraint or censorship.

https://www.globalresearch.ca/stages-to … an/5797219

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.” — James Madison

War is the enemy of freedom.

As long as America’s politicians continue to involve us in wars that bankrupt the nation, jeopardize our servicemen and women, increase the chances of terrorism and blowback domestically, and push the nation that much closer to eventual collapse, “we the people” will find ourselves in a perpetual state of tyranny.

https://www.rutherford.org/publications … edom_short

1. tsmog profile image84

Both are enlightening articles, Ken. However, both leave me questioning more than providing answers. Perhaps, a product of my ignorance, yet once recognized the pursuit of truths relative to 'myself' is key. We each have our own sets of values and principles we function with.

Fortunately, we each in this nation have the liberty to pursue those, though some may say is misguided. Yet, I question, more so in recent years, if liberty itself by both the left and right is being threatened as they seek power over the populace.

Yes I agree, things are relative to each of us, based on our own truths and perceptions.

We continue to have an acceptable amount of social order and cohesion within America because of our abundance and economic stability.

If that economic stability goes away... if all the savings accounts, 401ks, IRAs, etc. of all but the 1% disappears tomorrow because of systemic collapse of the economy... what then?

Will Americans stand by and allow themselves to be impoverished, because we allowed our government to go on warring against the rest of the world, toppling one nation after another, for decades on end now?

Or do you believe Americans will stand up and not allow those that made them destitute get away with it?

Seem that America needs more suffering and abuse before waking up.  Do have faith in them.

The woke is broken.

The Nation was born out of a desire to be free from tyrannical rule.

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed... whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to abolish it, and to institute a new government.

THAT is why they gave us the 2nd Amendment.

Quoting Biden:  “If you wanted or if you think you need to have weapons to take on the government, you need F-15s and maybe some nuclear weapons. The point is that there has always been the ability to limit the type of weapon that can be owned and who can own it."

Of course Biden is wrong about this, as he is about so many things.

The 2nd Amendment was created by men who had just fought a war to secure their freedom, they knew the dangers of tyrannical rule and government that does not answer to the people.

Biden and this Administration perfectly represent that form of government today.  Enough Americans still have blinders on to this reality, most of us are too comfortable in our lives, we have plenty, we are getting along just fine.

But our government has gone a long way to stripping away our rights and the opportunity for younger generations... our government is invasive and collaborative with big corporations snuffing out privacy and small businesses.

This will be tolerated only so long as enough Americans are still living in that 'life of plenty' reality... when the economy does what the Biden Administration has insured will occur with its many trillions spending spree and hundreds of billions spent on foreign wars... I wonder if people will still tolerate it?

I think the French Revolution started it and the American Constitutiozed it. For Freedom of groups and individuals for the first time in human history. Before it was all kings and dictatorship.

I had mix feeling about weapons, My body is a highly skilled weapon. With a gun I'm three time more likely to kill myself or some I know. On the other hand USSR is an example of  when we don't fight fire with fire.

Canada, Trudeau tried to take away all our guns. Our licensing for a gun is very difficult as it is. Because Canada per capita has 1/7th of the guns and 1/4 of the crimes than the US. It seem the stronger licencing of US guns would make it safer.  Yet with US having 10 times the population, it becomes a hell of a balancing act.

Reality is a matter of perspective some say only perspective. I'm alway open to all perspectives, although do have a BS detector. When ever my dial breaks off the scale of  the Bs Detector. Like with Trudeau and Biden, it time to ignore them as much as possible, so they loose their powers. And just get rid of negative people.  We learn military tactics and taxes from ants in ancient times. About 5% of ants did not work at all, basically useless freeloaders . Perhaps ants would make a better role model for us to follow.

2. Venkatachari M profile image84
    Venkatachari Mposted 6 months ago

I am an Indian. So, I express my general opinions.
    Politics exhaust me. I do not like anyone talking about politics.
    Yes, the picture is hazy. You can't bet on any party. All are the same scapegoats. You may say the cat on the wall.
    It is dirty politics, each one accusing the other. They do not like looking into their own bad points or weaknesses.

1. tsmog profile image84

Thanks for jumping in Venkatachari. At least we, here in the U.S., are not alone. I enjoy the politics and social topics here at HP. But, I don't talk about politics in my normal life. It is taboo at family functions.

2. Readmikenow profile image95
      Readmikenowposted 6 months agoin reply to this

I agree with you.

Your response reminds me of something a person told me when I was visiting a foreign country. 

He said politics are the same all over the world.  Dirty, disgusting, and a necessary evil that will never go away.

Government is an corrupted ugly show business

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

https://fb.watch/o00wYbZJFb/?mibextid=NnVzG8

Confession of a Jewish/Zionist

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 6 months ago

Credence 2? You live in Florida?????? That is about as likely as me living in Cobb County Georgia - the home of Newt Gingrich. We are in mission country the both of us.

Hi, Kathleen, yeah, I live here. We are natives now living here for 10 years, previously living in Hawaii.

Florida has been a purple state at least for a while. I prefer the Rockies and the 4 seasons of Colorado and its political milieu.  As long as I did not have  to work anymore, the falling snow on a winters day was just an adornment rather than a nasty commute to the office. So let it snow.....

Yes, I am a fish out of water, relative to life in the Big Island of Hawaii, or Boulder County, Colorado. Now, Immersed in a world of gigantic pickup trucks with "Trump won" flags flying at the rear.

Having to leave Hawaii primarily because the sulfur dioxide fumes from the active volcano that affected my wife's asthma conditions, we had to compromise as to where we move next. We had the hair brained scheme of moving to Panama. We stayed for 5 months, we were welcomed. But the sanitation conditions and the state of health care was abysmal. It would never do, as she is of poor health. She has lived in Hawaii 30 years and was spoiled to a tropical climate, so I could not talk her into a nice quiet rural area in Colorado, because of the snow and ice.

So, we drew a line across the southern US, below the line were warm weather climates above was otherwise. I lived in Southern California for 4 years, too expensive and crowded. Arizona was generally a hot desert, with a political atmosphere that made it  uninhabitable. New Mexico was too cold at any part of the state. Texas was out as I have an aversion to its annoying and aggressive conservative politics. All the states along the Gulf coast were generally too cold, right out to Jacksonville Fl. We were left with Florida, Miami/DadeCounty was too busy and expensive. Central Florida was a relative backwater, inexpensive (until recently), and no frost. So we settled here.

I do have a mission, to show the fraud associated with Trump and the political right in general. To make people aware of the danger to our democratic traditions and our system of Government by those that would prefer autocracy and despotism, regardless of the endlessly clever ways they try to disguise it for what it is.

I speak to all who would listen and to those that don't, the message is still out there all the same.

Mick Jagger said, that you can't always get what you want, but if try sometimes you just might find, that you can get what you need.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
        Kathleen Cochranposted 6 months agoin reply to this

My metro Atlanta county went blue in the last two presidential elections and the last two senatorial elections. For our trouble the GOP-led state legislature carved us into four congressional districts. I'm now a part of a heavily rural district that goes all the way to Alabama and Tennessee. We are the only county in the state with four districts. Guess who my rep in the US House is? MTG!!!!!!!!!! But the court case just demanded the maps be redrawn so we'll see.

BTW: I just got home from two weeks in Hawaii! Heaven on earth.

Majorie Taylor Greene, she is ridiculous. I feel sorry for you...

Did you visit the Big Island when you were in Hawaii?

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
            Kathleen Cochranposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Only Oahu. My parents had a timeshare in Kona.

MTG? Here's hoping the courts save me!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)