War! Sweden citizens told to prepare for it.

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (16 posts)
  1. tsmog profile image86
    tsmogposted 3 months ago

On the international scene, most recently, two of Sweden’s top defense officials gave a stark warning to the countries populace.

From BBC, “Civil Defence Minister Carl-Oskar Bohlin told a defence conference "there could be war in Sweden".

His message was then backed up by military commander-in-chief Gen Micael Byden, who said all Swedes should prepare mentally for the possibility.”

However, some say, “A warning to Swedes from two top defence officials to prepare for war has prompted concern and accusations of alarmism.”

Sweden is waiting for Turkey and Hungry to green light their application to join NATO. Finland this year became a member also a neighbor of Sweden.

Also, “In early December, Stockholm and Washington signed a pact paving the way for US forces to operate in Sweden.”

Russia says:

“In Russia, Sweden's dire statements have been met with ridicule.
    In a post to X, formerly Twitter, the Russian embassy in Stockholm wrote: "Perhaps the Swedish leadership should stop driving its own people towards paranoia?"

- 'Dream of war' -

Alexey Pushkov, a member of the upper house of Russia's parliament, commented in a post to Telegram that "sometimes it seems like some Swedish military officers and journalists almost dream of war."

Questions:
    ** Is Sweden’s action a bell weather indicator for assessing Russia?
    ** Is there concern for future American involvement with actually placing troops in Sweden?
    ** Is there cause for Americans to be alarmed or concerned
    ** Is it a sit back and wait scenario?

Thoughts?

Articles used:
    Swedes Spooked as Government, Military Say to Prepare for War by Kyiv Post (Jan 13, 2024)
    https://www.kyivpost.com/post/26685

Swedish alarm after defence chiefs' war warning by BBC (Jan 10, 2024)
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67935464

Note: Interested in thoughts as I have Dear Friend in Sweden writing to me the news. She is alarmed and as quoted, “Scared”. She is prepared to purchase items recommended by Sweden’s government.

I wrote back saying, “Shit!” Then further along, stated, “You are wise ________. Move slowly. Speak to such and such (Close friends) before acting. As an aside, she was a member of HP community, banned permanently because of a poem she wrote and the conflict between her and HP administration.

2. Nathanville profile image92
    Nathanvilleposted 3 months ago

It’s not a real threat at this time; but a potential threat in the future in the event that Russia wins the war in Ukraine.

The penultimate paragraph in the BBC link you gave sums it up:-

“….it would require several factors to fall into place: Russia's war in Ukraine coming to an end, its military having the time to rebuild and rearm its fighting force and for Europe to lose US military support.”

1. tsmog profile image86
      tsmogposted 3 months agoin reply to this

First, thanks for expanding my vocabulary with penultimate. Cred, expanded my vocabulary last evening. As with him, I can't promise I will remember it tomorrow. ;-)

I am inclined to agree no need to over react at this time. That is what I stressed to my Dear Friend in subsequent letters following the one I shared in the OP. She replied she feels more comfortable now and is not rushing out to purchase items. She contacted her trusted friends too.

However, I will keep a closer eye on Sweden's situation while reflecting on current events with Ukraine as well as our nation's position. Then comes my focus on defense as an element to lower the debt. ha-ha wink

It is a learning experience as I see it, yet has real life consequences.

1. Nathanville profile image92
        Nathanvilleposted 3 months agoin reply to this

It was my son who taught me "penultimate", a word he frequently uses smile

3. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 3 months ago

I couldn't catch what are the interests, that could be, behind the war.

1. tsmog profile image86

Thanks for chiming in Venkatachari.

The war is between Russia and Ukraine that has been ongoing since 2014 and escalated in 2022 with Russia invading Ukraine. It continues today. The main element, from what I have learned, is Russia annexing Crimea while Ukraine says, "No, you can't" I know there is more to it, yet I have only cursory knowledge.

Regard, Sweden, they see it as Russia 'possibly' wanting to expand it further into Europe thus a threat to them. They applied to NATO and is pending for acceptance. Russia sees that as a threat to them.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
        Venkatachari Mposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Tim, I googled and found that Swedish and Russian tussle dates back to the last decade of 18th century and forward. So, it is a long-lasting problem between them.

Here is a link to the Finnish war between the Kingdom of Sweden and the Russian Empire https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_War

1. tsmog profile image86

Thanks for the link, Venkatachari! May I use Ven to address you as it is easier.

One thing I noted from following along with Russia vs Ukraine escapade both with reading and within the forum dialogues here is the importance of history in the setting of Europe.

Perhaps, here in the U.S, a parallel is the civil war between regions. It gets complex from there as I see it. Or, where I live in the greater San Diego area of Southern California with the Spanish, the indigenous tribes, and then with American expansionism.

Do you see any similarity with India where history plays a significant role?

There were many invasions by foreigners. But, the most significant one was by the British who entered India as a merchant company Titled "East India Company" in the year 1608 and gradually conquered many regions with the help of local kings, who were having rifts within them, thereby establishing a powerful empire. It was due to Mahatma Gandhi and his associates that India got freed from their clutches finally in 1947.

1. tsmog profile image86

Thanks and interesting, Venkat. Today, does history affect the relationship of India with the UK in your view? For instance, with trade agreements.

No, presently there is no bitterness between UK and India. We are friendly. They are not responsible for what happened in history.

1. tsmog profile image86

Hej! Hej is Hi in Swedish. That is good news both countries are on friendly terms. I have not looked into the relationship of India with the U.S, yet, though I am curious.

There are lakhs of Indians living happily in the U.S. among them four families of my relatives. You can imagine how nice the relations are between our two countries.

2. Venkatachari M profile image83

Yes, Tim, you can address me as Ven or Venkat. Venkat is my name and the title is Acharya, shortened to Achari so as to make it easier for people here in South Indian schools.

1. tsmog profile image86

Appreciated, Venkat! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)