POTUS Immunity? If the SC is not a Rightwing Tribunal, why are we here

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 7 weeks ago

It was interesting to note a recent Supreme Court ruling:

“On the self-executing issue, the unsigned majority “per curiam” decision is not merely evasion, but error. It rewrites Section 5 of the 14th Amendment. Where the section says that Congress may enact legislation to enforce the amendment, the court has transformed the language to say it must enact legislation. This avoids a simple command in the Constitution.”

While I support the decision in this case only because any other alternative would bring chaos to our elections nationwide, So much for the idea of strict construction and original intent conservative jurors are always speaking about. Conservatives always crow about this but when the truth be told,  it never holds water. Where was their authority to changing “may” to “must”? Is Trump paying them, are the ones he appointed “his people”?

Prosecutor Jack Smith asked the SC early on to rule on the idea of absolute Presidential immunity, the court did not want to get involved. I see this as something that was at least as critical as the issues regarding Trump’s disqualification in certain states, they certainly moved on that fast enough.  Next, when the idea of absolute Presidential immunity was brought up, it was unanimously turn down by an appellate court, with a legally excellent, ironclad judgement. The Supreme Court simply could have let that ruling stand so the Smith could get on with the trials. But, no, now they want to continue to deflect and delay by even considering the ridiculous question proposed by Trump and his henchmen. Now, they want to actually hear the arguments in late April. I have to wonder about the integrity of conservative “anything” these days. So, why the stalling?

I take Jack Smith’s view that the question is not so much Presidential immunity within the scope of his duties and job description, but that Trump, by undermining the our electoral process for his own advantage, has committed a crime beyond the scope of his duties, not anywhere within the periphery.

Sometime I have to wonder how much power people like Trump and the 1 percent actually have beyond putting a Lamborghini in their garage? They neutralize the press, making it appear that it is just about two opposing sides, when in reality the ramifications are far greater. How much malignant influence do they have over government and its institutions, how many have they bought off? Their abuse of power and authority is my first line of offense against the Right and everything that it stands for. I suspect that the court, particularly its rightwing jurists have been compromised.

That is my opinion, any thoughts?

1. Sharlee01 profile image80
      Sharlee01posted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

At this juncture, my only concern is that the Supreme Court swiftly examines Trump's case regarding his immunity. It's crucial, especially considering the upcoming election. All Americans deserve access to all relevant information before heading to the polls in 2024. If Trump is found to have immunity, it would put an end to yet another costly investigation and trial. I believe the Court will expedite the process. 

I respectfully disagree with your viewpoint regarding the integrity of the Supreme Court justices. From my perspective, they appear to be making decisions impartially and adhering closely to the Constitution. I find them to be a commendable group, demonstrating a fine balance in their approach. Their diverse perspectives contribute to well-considered rulings that carry significant weight.

Credence2posted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

We share a desire for once. I want this matter settled quickly. If he is found not to have immunity to do anything he wants while in office, we should all know that prior to election season as well, and he should be held accountable.....

As for the court and its behavior, we agree to respectfully disagree.

2. Ken Burgess profile image76
      Ken Burgessposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

I sometimes wonder if we are living in the same world.

Trump is neutralizing the press?

Trump has bought off the government and its institutions?

Wow... to say you and I see what is going on differently would be the understatement of the century.

Well, Ken we aren't living in the same world. Your world is just as unfathomale to me as mine is to you. This is at the very crux of the great American schism today.

It is the understatement of the century, but it is quite accurate.

1. Ken Burgess profile image76

Yours is quite fathomable to me.  Or perhaps I should say, how you came to perspectives regarding race, the Republicans, etc. is.

There are plenty of people, I'd imagine, that think it would be a good thing for us to attain a society much more in line with what China has today... or who believe in goals set by the autocratic government of Brussels and their CBDC rollout, their constriction of farming, property ownership, etc. in EU.

That is what the Democrats stand for today... I'm just not sure you recognize it.

Ken, It seems after all this time you still misunderstand. Protection of civil rights and liberties concepts are not Chinese nor European, it is disengenous of you to make such absurd comparisons. People too often hear but don't listen.

It is simple, me and mine are not going to tolerate any autocratic, racist, misogynistic replacement ideology and will hold fast to our hard earned  protections regardless of the cost.

If you learned anything about me, that is lesson no. 1

If that is true, you are backing the Trojan Horse, that is going to bring to fruition an autocratic, race based ideology, that will mirror much of the worst elements found in China and the EU today.

The fact that you think you are fighting against it, is testament to the power of their propaganda and control of perception and information.  Also, it goes back to the Cave/Matrix analogy spoken about not so long ago.

Perhaps, Ken, but I have no indication of that and you can bet that I am watching with jaundiced eye. after following their behavior and advocacies, I would take the current status quo over anything Trump and MAGA proposes. Excuse me if I tend to believe my own lying eyes.

We will just wait and see.... I will take my chances.

Your chances aren't good, they're worse than mine, because I see the current Administration for what it is.

There is a war going on, one of their creation, and you, like many Americans don't understand what it is, or what it means.

The American economy is being crushed, in ways that cannot be seen today.  Kicking Russia out of SWIFT, pushing Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Russia, and others into the arms of China... that's not the rules based order.

The Biden Administration decided to play hardball against Russia using the Dollar and Sanctions against it, what was the message to the rest of the world?

Get the F(&^ away from America, get off the Dollar, if Biden or who-ever replaces him turns on us next, they will use the Dollar and Sanctions to destroy us.

The Biden Administration has turned a good percentage of the world against America with its antics against Russia, and now that has been complicated to a much worse degree, by the support America shows to Israel's continued assault on Gaza... the entire Body of the UN wanted an end to the attacks, the Biden Administration was the lone naysayer.

America is no longer seen as the Protector anymore, the Biden Administration has changed world history, long time allies on which the Dollar's place on the International stage depended have turned from the Dollar... BRICS will be more dominant on the world stage sooner than anyone could imagine.

Americans may never know how badly the Biden Administration has harmed America... his Administration would be hard pressed to have done more damage, while at the same time strengthening China's position so much.

1. Readmikenow profile image94
                    Readmikenowposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

"There is a war going on, one of their creation, and you,  like many Americans don't understand what it is, or what it means."

I think you should count yourself among those who don't understand what it is or what it means.  There is more to this than just looking up links on the internet that support your view and ignoring everything else.

"The Biden Administration has turned a good percentage of the world against America with its antics against Russia"

There you go again, stating stuff you see in the state controlled russsian media which is simply untrue.  This is something they say over and over again. 

"by the support America shows to Israel's continued assault on Gaza... the entire Body of the UN wanted an end to the attacks, the Biden Administration was the lone naysayer."

Support of russia and the hamas palestinians speaks volumes.

2. Sharlee01 profile image80
    Sharlee01posted 6 weeks ago

Hope some are tuning into the Robert Hur hearing... Pretty riveting.  I am going to catch it all on Cspan tonight.  This guy is something to behold.

3. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 6 weeks ago

russia is now facing russians who want to topple the putin government.

Russian rebels vow to 'march on Moscow' after anti-Putin paramilitaries take control of village

Russian rebels who support Ukraine have vowed to “march on Moscow” after capturing a border town.

Anti-Kremlin troops dashed into Russia for a two-pronged assault on Tuesday.

Freedom of Russia Legion, Siberian Battalion and Russian Volunteer Corps have been identified as battling against Vladimir Putin’s squaddies in the regions of Belgorod and Kursk.

Members of the Freedom of Russia Legion pledged to "take our land from the regime centimetre by centimetre".

The legion later claimed: "The village of Tetkino, Kursk region, is fully under the control of the Russian liberation forces.

"Putin's army is rapidly leaving the village, leaving behind positions and abandoning heavy equipment."

It would appear Russian forces were forced to flee Kursk after being overrun by guerilla fighters.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ru … &ei=15

About the russians invading russia

The Siberian Battalion was the third unit established by Ukraine for Russian nationals who want to join the fight against the Kremlin. The battalion was meant primarily for ethnic minorities coming from Siberia, including Buryats, Yakuts, Tuvans, and others.

Siberia, a cold North Asian region that covers 77% of Russia’s territory, is home to a variety of ethnic minorities that have been largely disenfranchised by the Russian state.

Nine of the 10 poorest Russian regions, in terms of GRP per capita, are regions with a substantial minority population. Out of them, five are located in Siberia.

Adding another Russian unit to the Ukrainian Armed Forces is more about information warfare than growing Ukraine’s battlefield capacity, experts say.

"Russian volunteer battalions... will have a disproportionate impact in terms of information activities, morale and influence on Russia's population and its leadership," Keir Giles, senior consulting fellow of the Russia and Eurasia Programme at Chatham House, told the Kyiv Independent.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)