Why can't we call a "terrorist" a "terrorist" ?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (81 posts)
  1. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

I don't get...the P.C. Climate that is so afraid to call an "Ace"; an "Ace" or a "Spade"; a "Spade".

Austin kamikaze pilot (yesterday) = Terrorist
    Christmas underwear bomber = Terrorist
    Ft. Hood Army Base Shooter = Terrorist
    Timothy McVeigh- OKC Federal Building Bomber = Terrorist

There....now was that...that hard to say!

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Manly,

Do you know how to correct the problem? Call things as they truly are, by due diligence about the facts.

Btw- lose the P.C. B.S. and let the truth fly. smile wink

Political Correctness is just a deceptive practice to teach people how to lie like politicians. smile

Just a thought. smile

manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said...See them politicians...are trying to brainwash us...and make us talk the "double-talk"...like them!

http://www.rpfsys.com/ironhead_files/image001.jpg

"Hey...you talking the "double-talk"...or something?" Quote from Curly Howard.

2. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't aware that we couldn't call a terrorist a terrorist. In fact, I don't think I've ever called them anything else.

3. Christopher Floyd profile image62
      Christopher Floydposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nobody told me I couldn't call a terrorist a terrorist. Nobody even tried. What our dumbly elected officials may decide we should or should not say is irrelevant to me, and only becomes relevant when we give them the authority to go all 1984 on us. Not gonna happen. I'm too American for that.

Although in the case of Timothy McVeigh, I tend to use words I can't put on Hubpages.

4. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen to saying what you mean and meaning what you say.

Modern-day "political correctness" stinks and should be exposed for its folly and aggression and tyranny, and done away with.

Who says you can't call a terrorist a terrorist?  Obama?  Pelosi?  The rest of the liberal agenda?   They may make it tough, but they don't realize who they're messing with.
      It's a war of words and a war about our freedoms.
      Worth fighting.

2. profile image0
    Billy Jeanposted 14 years ago

nicely put, thanks

3. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

You don't understand Manly, according to the progressive/liberal jellied mind, the terrorist term only applies to americans who don't agree with them and american soldiers.  An actual terrorist, whether they're muslim or what-have-you is a freedom fighter!!!!

roll

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Scott Roeder, murderer of high-profile abortion clinic doctor George Tiller = Terrorist

This progressive/liberal jellied mind thunk that all up on her own. 

FK - This progressive/liberal is also engaged to a former soldier who survived three tours in Vietnam, a hostage rescue attempt, and several other life-endangering scenarios and he most certainly is NOT a terrorist nor are American soldiers in general.

You are are displaying incredible ignorance and are a discredit to conservatives (if that's what you call yourself) everywhere.

Who (as in a particular party or aligned thinking) then is preventing the calling of a "Terrorist"...from being called a "Terrorist" ?

1. profile image0

I have absolutely no idea.  You're the one who asserted it.  Perhaps you could provide some evidence of your thinking?

Nahh...I know that I hear the media...and the current administration...side-steppin' around the term "terrorist" lately...that's enough for me to form an opinion on!

1. profile image0

Oh, okay.

roll

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
            AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is starting to sound like an Abbott and Costello routine

2. Flightkeeper profile image67
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's your opinion and your welcome to it and I stand by my assessment of the situation.

I don't confuse criminals with terrorists, I think that definitely muddies the terrorist label.

I'm glad that you as a progressive/liberal do not consider your fiance a terrorist. But I think many of your cohorts, who don't know many people in armed services, do.

Also, my opinion is mine and you shouldn't project it to all conservatives who have a range of opinions.

1. profile image0

Yes, you're entitled to your opinion.  So what?

Terrorists are also criminals.  There is no muddying of labels. 

I don't personally know a single progressive/liberal who thinks people in the armed services are terrorists.  Doesn't mean they don't exist, but I certainly don't think enough of them do for you to be making generalizations and expect others to just buy into it.

I didn't project it to all conservatives; I did exactly the opposite in saying that you are a discredit to conservatives.

I'm marrying a conservative and I know they're not all like you.

1. Flightkeeper profile image67

So what means you don't get it. It refers to calling me ignorant just because you don't agree with me. Duh! I'm not the one who makes personal attacks because someone has a different opinion than me.

And you did project because you were trying to shame me and then aligning my opinions with conservatives when they have nothing to do with it.

1. profile image0

No, I get it, I just don't see how it pertains to anything.  You're entitled to your opinion; I'm entitled to mine.  SO WHAT?

No, I did not project, it's just easier for you to categorize me the way you want to by saying I did.  Let me repeat myself very very clearly:  YOU are not a representative of all conservatives.  YOUR blatant negative stereotyping of an entire class of persons based on their political beliefs is actually embarrassing to some conservatives.

Only you can feel ashamed.  I can't make you feel that way and I would never try.

Well good because I don't feel ashamed and I think you're amusing.  Stick around.

2. profile image0
      chasingcarsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh wrong in so many ways.  You conservos have just bought so thoroughly into rebranding that you don't know our original English language.  I call the new language Turdblossom after your gris eminence, Carl Rove.  Some of us were educated into, you know, English. You miss the point entirely; terrorist or criminal, the creeps get the same law as any creep arrested by a law abiding government and you know, the Constitution--the one Bush called just a "F..k.ing piece of paper".

So what you posted was English? lol lol

2. manlypoetryman profile image81

I think you need to check the English dictionary on "conservos"...and what's more...check with the P.C. Police...I know that one's not on the acceptable terminalogy list!

1. Christopher Floyd profile image62
          Christopher Floydposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ChasingCars,
          Gris?  As in gris gris?  As in voodoo?  What the hell are you talking about?
          And, constitutionally, enemy combatants are NOT eligible for the same protection of law as criminals. 
          Site me a reference where Bush called the Constitution an F-ing piece of paper.  Something other than Kos Kids, please.

1. profile image0
            Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It was Obama who called it a "piece of paper". And it is Obama who is blurring the lines of the definition of the word terrorist -

about Fort Hood - "let's not jump to conclusions that this is a terrorist act"
            about the abortion dr. - "this was a terrorist act"

And yeah, "enemy combatants are NOT eligible for the same protection of law as criminals."

But that's as far as my unjellied mind can go smile

4. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

HHHmmm...Let me see if I got this right, FK...You are a "Freedom Fighter" instead of a "Terrorist" (because that is bad)...when you take out buildings and innocent people...but if you go to a "Tea Party"...it is Ok to call you a "teabagger" or for a conservative talk show host to be called a "Neocon"...just please don't insult the "Freedom Fighter" by calling him a "Terrorist"!... hmm

Does that about sum it up?

5. Flightkeeper profile image67

The progressive/liberal mind at work! You go it.

Wow...how do they keep track of who says what and why...what's OK ? That is pretty impressive. There must be someone sitting in an office somewhere...dictating what can be said that is P.C. and what is not...Otherwise...How do we really know if we are speaking the correct P.C. verbage...?

OMG...I am so afraid that I have spoken out of P.C.-ness...just now. But then...I must be a very bad un-P.C. person.

I'm wondering then: What...it will be alright to call me then...that doesn't offend the one who decides what is proper P.C....but could care less...and it certainly wouldn't then matter ...whether it offends me...or not? Perplexing...isn't it!? hmm

1. thisisoli profile image71
        thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In England we have a whole department for P.C.  Those worthless bastards just made it so that in all legal documents you should now say Non-disabled, rather than just Normal, when in a case with a disabled person involved.

So the normal person is now the negative in England, the "non-"?  That's pretty sad.

That's why they get paid the big bucks! Actually...that really is silly...In fact...aren't there bigger problems in the world to settle than that one?

6. Flightkeeper profile image67

Manly, I seriously think it's the liberal/progressive bloggers who make the call. Meaning people at the daily kos or huff post and all the other hysterical chicken little bloggers.  Then the lamestream media picks it up and disseminates it to the general unsuspecting population.

It really is perplexing and bad for the country.

7. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 14 years ago

I guess it's a question of motive and the effect of the particular action. Was the person attempting to cause terror? Did the event cause people to be terrorized? I think it's fair to say that everyone you listed should be considered a terrorist, but why does it matter? Under this definition, a drug dealer who holds a gun to the head of another drug dealer because he was on his "turf" is also a terrorist. When we broaden the labels, we cheapen their meaning.

I find it odd that this thread includes attacks on liberals who apparently believe American soldiers are terrorists and Muslim terrorists are freedom fighters, yet the original poster's list of four terrorists includes two American soldiers.

Hey...they are all terrorists as far as I'm concerned...you (as in people in general) can overthink things too much...let's just call an "Ace" an "Ace"...and a "Spade" a "Spade"!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think your tractor actually started this thread.  It reeks of dung.

Sorry...if your in disagreement with the 'ol tractor...but "yeah"...'Ol Bess (tractor's name) started this one!

2. profile image0

Yeah, you all cast an entire group of people, based only on their political beliefs, in a negative light, and when we call you on it "we're overthinking."

Riiiigggghhhht.

roll

How do you know what "we all" do...that is stereotypin'...your a "stereotypists-ists"!

1. profile image0

You all - a southern term referring to present company.

In this thread, "you all" refers to those who are disparaging progressives/liberals, not all conservatives.

Not all conservatives are like you all here in this thread.

We all appreciate the clarification.

1. profile image0

You're welcome  :-)

If it it is "Clarified"...as you say...then why is it so dog-gone confusing ?

Maybe the tractor's intake manifold is gunked up.

2. profile image0

Maybe you're choosing to stay confused, or maybe you're just easily confused.  Darned if I know.  smile

2. Flightkeeper profile image67

I didn't assume all conservatives were like me, there was no need for the clarification.  You're the one whose upset because you don't like what I said. lol

1. profile image0

Oh, I keep forgetting, unless I include a bunch of smiley faces, some people assume I am upset.

smile  smile  smile  smile  smile  smile

roll

3. I am DB Cooper profile image63
        I am DB Cooperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So what's the point of all this? Trying to simplify everything by calling everyone who causes terror in others a terrorist is kind of like saying al Qaeda hates America for its freedom. It might make us feel better but it really doesn't solve anything.

1. profile image0
          A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree! A bullet to the back of the head would solve a lot more!

And your suggestion...as to what they should be called is...? It's just a word...it doesn't solve anything...but it sure doesn't have to be sugar-coated or watered-down either!

1. profile image0

I prefer "Corpse"

8. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Shouldn't the CEO's, of publicly held companies, that criminally mismanage their assets to the point that they loose the life savings and retirement funds of their employees, have the Feds  step in and bail them out causing a global meltdown of all economies, and be directly responsible for thousands of suicides and other acts of desperation be counted as terrorist too?  I think so and we should round them up and send them all to Gitmo!

1. profile image0

No! But thanks for playing

9. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Trouble calling a terrorist "a terrorist" is that someone always comes up with irrational argument in defense and such things end up nowhere.

Something like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyfzIx0MhTo

10. Flightkeeper profile image67

Yeah, that's right.  You're not upset, that's why you responded with all that information about your ex-soldier fiance. big_smile

Didn't forget the smiley lol

1. profile image0

You're the one who first invoked soldiers.  It happens a lot on these threads.  American soldiers are used as pawns for certain "arguments."  It's old and it's tiring. 

If you're going to use "American soldiers" as part of your arguments, don't be surprised if it's turned back around on you.

You are not making sense.

Must be confused...lol hmm !

lol lol  It always seems that way doesn't it?

2. profile image0

Okay, let me spell it out for you.  You invoked "American soldiers" in your very  first post in this thread by saying that progressives/liberals believe them to be terrorists. 

You politicized them.  I called you on it.  If that doesn't make sense to you, then it's only because you'd rather deny it than own up to it.

Obligatory smiley face:  smile

As I said you're upset that's why you called me out on it and I can have an opinion and you can disagree with that. What's your problem?

1. profile image0

I'm just debating with you.  Why do you think that's a problem?  Are you not accustomed to it?

What's to debate? It was an opinion, we don't agree.

2. profile image0

And, I thought we already agreed on that opinion thing, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to repeat it ad nauseum.

Yeah, you're certainly prepared to keep it going. I'm already bored with this. See ya.

1. profile image0

Have a nice day, FK!  smile

11. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Austin kamikaze pilot (yesterday) = Terrorist

Its hard to call someone a terrorist when they quote the constitution and stand up for the average tax paying American. Infact I cannot help but notice the discomfort from the media on this one, they haven't really banded around a particlar name for him at all.

I can help them with that...it really is soooo simple:

"He's a Terrorist"!

1. thisisoli profile image71
        thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have seen patriotic mentioned once or twice, you guys wouldnt want to turn out like us brits would ya? tongue

No freaking way.

lol

2. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is because the media could not align him with the Tea Party movement , ruined all their fun !

Finally Napalitano called the Ft Hood shooter a terrorist. I damn near fell out of my chair ! Honesty from the administration ? What a concept

12. Alota profile image61
    Alotaposted 14 years ago

Because todays terrorist becomes tomorrows Politician, on the 17th of March this year the White House will open its doors to the leader of Sinn Fein, once barred from entering America as he is a convicted terrorist......the list is long, Gadaffi, etc

13. laswi profile image58
    laswiposted 14 years ago

For me, Osama Bin Laden of Afghanistan and Velupillai Prabhakaran of Sri Lanka are both terrorists. But for some people, one is a terrorist and the other is a rebel. For them, the governments fighting with Osama are trying to bring peace but the governments fighting with Prabhakaran are violating human rights and should therefore be taken to the International court of Justice.

What is this discrimination?

14. Arthur Fontes profile image73
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

William Charles "Bill" Ayers planting bombs at Police stations and the Pentagon  === TERRORIST.

of course he is also Barry's friend.

1. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, that means he's not one smile

15. profile image49
    the americanposted 14 years ago

This is way off topic so I do apologize. With the supreme dissapointment in Obama can anyone really say like I'am that we had it pretty damn good with Bush as president. Obama has tripled the amount of debt we had after George Bush left office, in one year. It took bush eight years to accumulate a 400 billion dollar deficit and its unbelievable America has forgotten that liberals don't solve problems they make them as far as the fiscal issue is concerned. Also I believe our wise leader used the term "man caused disasters" in lieu of terrorist.

16. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

Obama himself, along with most of his Cabinet, is the real disaster.

17. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Don't call them, shoot them!smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)