Once again, Obama proves he's a jerk.

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 61 discussions (147 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

It would've been awesome if John McCain had retorted
    "You can call me MISTER McCain"!

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image66
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't they all act like jerks, some time or another. Or maybe you have some of those weird specs with the polaroid vision

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What are you referencing?

3. blue dog profile image60
      blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

rumor had it you were leaving. 

frickin' rumors.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lol

I was thinking of leaving; might still, who knows?;  so far I haven't....

Gee....

Are you disappointed?

1. blue dog profile image60

far from disappointed.

in fact, i'm growing quite accustomed to all the online insecurities.

please love me.  i think i might leave.  but wait.  then again, i might not.  it all depends on how many people beg me to stay.  if they don't beg me, then i'll leave.  only to return with at least four new identities.  but i promise, none of them will ever think of leaving, because we'll all pat each other's backs, reassuring ourselves in our own efforts at futility.

1. profile image0
            A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lita? Lita is that you?

1. Anolinde profile image81
              Anolindeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL!!  Sorry, couldn't help myself tongue  Good one, Texan! smile

4. brimancandy profile image79
      brimancandyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

John McCain is getting to be like Britany Spears and Madonna.

He just shows up at various important meeting hoping to get his face in the press. I think He has been taking lessons from Sarah Palin. And, as far as I'm concerned, he should just do us all a favor and get a train ticket to nowhere and just go away.

I hope McCain and Palin both get the same ticket. Jerks with a capital J.

I hope this is not a comment about underwear

1. brimancandy profile image79

I'm sure McCain has his tighty whiteys numbered, initialed, and aranged according to date. LOL! And, Sarah Pailin has hers inspected and flown in from London and France on a daily basis.

And according to Brenda, Obama's are twisted... no, I don't think I want to go there...

1. profile image0

heehee

I wish.

Maybe his drawers ARE bunched up!  He certainly was discomfited by McCain's call for transparency and to listen to the American people......and he tried to hide it by attacking McCain.

The rat

2. brimancandy profile image79

Silk boxers or a leopard print thong. LOL!!!

1. profile image0

Probably more like neon pink....

5. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As somebody said, "It takes one to know one."

6. Danny R Hand profile image59
      Danny R Handposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't be a hater.

1. profile image0

Good advice.  I'll keep it in mind when/if I'm tempted to hate someone.
        You should remember it too.

1. profile image0
          PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye. The more light you shine on it, the more it will contract" -- Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
            Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a good one!

2. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Was this about the summit. I hear it was a snoozeroni.

3. profile image0

Not only did Obama show his narcissistic ego (and underneath, maybe his fear) by emphasizing that HE'S the President,  but he deliberately and pointedly called McCain by his first name twice while McCain called him "Mr. President";
    then reminded McCain that they weren't Campaigning anymore!  Shoot, Obama's never stopped Campaigning!
    I dunno whether McCain had addressed him differently earlier or not, but it doesn't matter, 'cause the O is so obviously manipulative and twisted, it would be a total hoot except for the fact that he's destroying this nation.

1. yenajeon profile image68
      yenajeonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hate to break the news to you but Obama IS the President and John McCain is not. Welcome to reality smile

1. profile image0

Who said Obama wasn't President?

You sound like him!

I was talking about Obama's lack of respect not only for McCain, but for Americans in general.   He is bad news, and if he's allowed to keep twisting everything around, he will become more tyrannical than any tyrant known before.   Can't you see it hiding underneath, building to a boil?

It's true. He's getting pretty close to Genghis Khan. Can't you SEE it. PEOPLE

2. getitrite profile image72
          getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OMG! Are you serious?

2. Danny R Hand profile image59
      Danny R Handposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not any worse than George W did.

3. profile image0
      woolman60posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Brenda, it is quite obvious that you do not like the President, however I am glad he put John, oh sorry I ment to say, Mr McCain in his place. John McCain needs to retire from politics, he is not the President and needs to be reminded on a daily basis.
      Mr McCain and his fellow Republicans are strange, controlling, mean spirited and disrespectful people, not to say some Democrats are not, but Republicans stand out more at this time. I see the Republicans in Washington as “Hardcore Republicans “with their own agenda’s, and it seems to me that the Republicans, show more prejudice and disrespect towards the President, and I wonder if this is because they lost control of the country since President Obama has been voted in by the “American People”.

I respect everyone’s thoughts and I know some of you will not understand or even care for mine, however all I am trying to say is lets  not make failure our only option in America, lets work together as one to do what is right for all Americans.

4. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

Once again Brenda proves herself to be religious bigot and a jerk
    Small mindedness is so disgusting, especially when it is grounded in the  absurdness of religiosity.
    I think I'm gonna barf!

There we fixed the typos....
    Golly and I did it without using a Funk and Wagnall...:-)

I think I'd find it ok if such individuals would admit that BOTH parties are full of the behaviour and egotism that only ONE party is accused of

2. profile image0

You might wanna get a bucket for that.

I might too!   Seems I can't expose Obama's disrespect for anyone without being called a bigot?!   

Buy yourself a dictionary too, along with the bucket.

1. donotfear profile image82
        donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

:lol:lol:lollollol

3. donotfear profile image82
      donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Golly gee.....did you just personally attack her? I do believe you did. Isn't that a NO-NO.? You just called Brenda a religious bigot and a jerk. That's not cool. Maybe you'd better rephrase that.....

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

your opinion brenda. that's all. an opinion.

6. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

He's arrogant, cocky and dividing his own party.

And the Republicans are complaining about that?

Obama is his own worst enemy.

7. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

He slapped some good 'ol boys around who sorely needed it.  The looks on their faces were priceless.

1. Sab Oh profile image57
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There was physical violence? Really?

8. profile image0
    chasingcarsposted 14 years ago

I thought McCain would go into little twirls flapping his little arms but was caught in mid sputter when Obama agreed with him on the Florida pork.  What you think of as arrogance (for you "uppety negra") to most of the rest of the world is self confidence--strange isn't it in the face of so much abject disrespect he receieves daily from the conservos, to be talking about his disrespect to them. Your team is not respectable.  They come to these meetings using gop talking points instead of talking specifics. The president is always cheerful, respectful, and friendly.  He handles the gop jerks quite well.  Burns your bottom, doesn't it?

"I thought McCain would go into little twirls flapping his little arms"

Are you really ridiculing someone who suffered a disability in service to his country? Is the petty partisan bitterness that bad now?

2. Sab Oh profile image57

"The president is always cheerful, respectful, and friendly.  "

Now THAT'S funny! You should do standup.

3. profile image0

He doesn't even handle those in his own party well, chaps your ass dont it?

9. profile image0
    chasingcarsposted 14 years ago

I'm ridiculing a two-faced pumped up little jackass who flip flops at regular intervals, depending on the polls and his gop masters.  Having an impediment does not mean he needs to stand there flailing his arms like a little R2D2.  He is a ridiculous person as is anyone who actually pays attention and doesn't notice how very hard Obama is trying not to tell you all to go to hell.  By now Bush would have had someone in Gitmo for not being patriotic and supporting their president.  Case in point, people were arrested for wearing anti-Bush tee shirts to his very gated appearances; dumbass conservos turned up to Obama's rallies posing armed with guns.  They were allowed to stand there, unmolested, looking like the dufuses they are.

Some people let their political passions go much, much too far. Being a callous, ungrateful, extremist who does nothing but repeat one partisan note over and over does nothing for the country or the individual who engages in such pointless behavior.

1. kirstenblog profile image79
        kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pot? Kettle? hmm hmmmmm

10. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

It makes me cringe when I hear people incorrectly using titles. I don't care if they're POTUS, either. If you respect someone, you need to correctly use their title to show it.

Is it THAT hard to show even a smidgen of respect for a man who served his country in ways that you nor I could never even begin to imagine?!?

11. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

You all have way too much time to have come up with and have all of that read into what took place in probably less than minutes. 
       So far we have come upwith a tranical dictator, who is trying to destroy our two party system, who has no respect for anyone, hates americans, and OH lets not forget his worst screw up, he called someone by their first name----TWICE.

12. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

He called him by his first name twice--isn't that an impeachable offence?

What do you think we would be hearing on the news if McCain had referred to the president by his first name in the same manner?

13. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 14 years ago

Its sad to see US government so paralyzed media shows are seen as the only way forward. Its easy to understand why so few vote when Presidents can achieve so little with just a cumbersome constitution.

If legislation was easier to enact and easier to repeal it would lead to a much more pragmatic and dynamic government. As it is, fear of any change is the dominant factor because any change in law is so hard to reverse if it has unforeseen, adverse effects.

You need a completely new system to keep up with the world. US dominance will slip away in all areas over the next fifty years and part of the reason for that is the stasis at the heart of domestic policy.

Thanks, but we'll stick with the Constitution we have.

("keep up with the world" LOL!)

1. profile image0
        Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's they who need to keep up with us smile

14. Flightkeeper profile image66

Obama should step down, he's an incompetent and everyone can see that.

15. Glenn S. profile image60
    Glenn S.posted 14 years ago

Debate is futial. I smell revolution in the air.

16. Will Apse profile image89

Have you ever asked who made the American Revolution and why? The constitution is a fine and wordy document but is not really about government. And it certainly isn't about democracy. What is it really about?

A little clue is the people who were given the vote afterwards.

1. profile image0

You really don't do a lot of thinking do you?

2. profile image0

Are you making a joke?

3. Sab Oh profile image57

"Have you ever asked who made the American Revolution and why"?

No, I finished high school.

17. Will Apse profile image89

People who make revolutions keep the power for themselves. The US revolution was no different to any other.

18. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

Oh brother yikes

1. Will Apse profile image89
      Will Apseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We are in agreement Madame X. I too am shocked.

Of course, every one has a different perspective. I remember an interview with Robert DeNiro when he said, (roughly) 'if you are an Italian American you should never forget that America is not you country. You are only a guest, tolerated if you play your part.' Racial constructs are always suspect but that one shines a little light.

1. profile image0

And Robert DeNiro's opinion means what exactly? Let me help you out, it don't mean shit!

And have you noticed, Robert hasn't fled the US for Italy?

2. profile image0

Okay I'll bite on that one.

By saying....

It's not possible to be an American AND an Italian!   
        Of course, there's such a thing as dual citizenship in many instances,  but I'm talking about the culture issue.

I simply do not understand why people who are proud of their home country want to come to America and be American citizens BUT STILL retain their home heritage so much that they want to CHANGE American into their former home culture.   Seems to me they shoulda just STAYED in their home country, in that case.

Did I say that correctly?  LOL.   Well, hey, it's about as round-about as the people who want to change countries!

I keep hearing people retort that America is a "melting pot" and America is made up of some much diversity that it's okay to call one's self an "Italian American" or an "African-American", or an "Irish-American".
        I disagree with that, especially in the sense of mainstreaming those titles into our government civil rights system!
        America is a specific nationality!   The settlers didn't come here with the intent of continuing the same course England was taking.  IF they had, they'd have crowned a King in America;  they'd have founded a government tyranny.  They'd have done the relevant things in like manner as England did.

1. profile image0

They want to leave the crap in their own country, take advantage of the freedom we have here, and not have to participate in maintaining that freedom. "Do me" immigrants.

They make me sick and we should throw them out. But hey, they're just following the entitlement crowd so they probably think they are indeed "participating" in American politics smile

1. profile image0

Yep!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
              Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://www.old-picture.com/indians/pictures/Indian-in-War-Bonnet.jpg

I Agree!

Those of us who were here first do not appreciate others arriving on our shores to impose their perverted values on us.

P.S.  Thanks for the smallpox.

1. profile image0

Non sequitor

1. ledefensetech profile image68
                  ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Everyone is an immigrant, all of our ancestors came from the Olduvai Gorge in Africa, after all.

Which makes the terms "Us" and "them" relatively meaningless.

3. profile image0

No, We a 180 degrees apart.

Good night, Will.

19. profile image0

While I was typing my reply, I think A Texan said it similarly but better and in fewer words....

He has a talent for that.
    I'm too wordy sometimes.

Will Apse----what A Texan said!  big_smile

20. Flightkeeper profile image66

You bring up a good point Brenda.  There is a large immigrant contingent who live in the US that have no intention of becoming Americans.  This is different from the immigrant who moves here and wants to be an American. I'm really not sure what we can do about that.  A lot of people assume people who come here want to be Americans but that is not always the case.

21. Will Apse profile image89

Anyway, time to sleep.

By the way- the people who got the vote after the American Revolution needed to be white, property owning and male (about 10 percent of the population).

The wealthy later realized that were enough dupes amongst the peasantry for it to be safe to extend voting rights gradually.

Nothing changes, does it? The top per cent still own 90 per cent of the US. And the peasants are just plain grateful that they are allowed to exist.

Goodnight, all.

1. profile image0

I understand your meaning.
      But the point is that, in America, we DID set up and still DO have a Constitutional system that gives us an avenue for legally fighting for our rights, individually and corporately.  We have the hope that we will always get better and better at the thing called "governing" and being governed.
      And no I ain't talkin' about the current Administration.  There is no hope for that one.

22. profile image0

Me thinks I hear strains of "Cherokee People" in the background.

Ron, I have nothing against Indians.
    But I think it's wrong for you/them to still carry a grudge, considering everything including the agreement and reparations that are in effect.

And something else to ponder-----I think any group of people who think they should divide and conquer (if that's what you're inferring) will probably have to go through that divide themselves.  They'd have to go through the myriad of other nationalities and cultures that have an agenda to get to the "top".....
    funny thing is that it isn't the white people who're vying.....at least not that I see.   We in general seem to be much more tolerant than any other race.....evidence the variety of races/cultures that are already in every arena in the U.S.A; but hey what do statistics matter, or my opinion, for that matter?

lol  Tolerant? The people who say leave YOUR culture at OUR border (the border established by the systematic slaughter of the land's natives) are tolerant?  Hypocrisy and tolerance are not the same thing.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Simply a faux pas, I'm sure Ron.

23. profile image0

And....

since you think "I" (well, "my" ancestors I guess) gave "you" smallpox,

I wonder if you've written to Mr. Obama asking him WHY HE didn't close the borders when H1N1 was found to originate in Mexico?

I dare you.   Bet you won't get an answer from HIM, even though "I" at least answer your accusations, while HE's the one who should be answering EVERY American's questions!

24. profile image0

Ask him, too, if he's willing to give up his seat to an Indian chief.
    ?
    So much for his tolerance and all-American agenda.   Do you think he let Van Jones go because his communism was exposed?  Possibly.  But more likely he didn't like Jones's call to give American Indians back "their land"..... It's common knowledge that Obama only has one agenda---and it ain't for whites nor Indians!

25. mikelong profile image60
    mikelongposted 14 years ago

Oh no...the "H1N1" paranoia all over again..... 

Mr. Deeds, its good to see you continuing onward....

26. profile image0

Are you Indian?  Or are you just pulling my leg?
    Do you live on a reservation?  or not?
    Or
    are you an American citizen?

And are you simply an American citizen,
    or are you a person with your own agenda instead of being for our Constitutional basis?

27. mikelong profile image60

Do all Native Americans (its nice that you continue to use the ignorant epithets of Columbus) live on reservations?

"or" and American citizen?

I think the story of Charles Eastman would fit in well here.....

1. profile image0

hmmm.

I'm a native American, actually.
      I was born here in the USA, 51 years ago, to a set of natives of this nation.   I think that's the same thing, right?
      I am glad, though, that we have more civilized laws when it comes to morality, etc., than was had "back then" before my family's time.
      The Constitution and our more modern laws are a good thing.  Still are.  Just interpreted crappily by too many.

1. blue dog profile image60

astounding.

And she was suggesting others make use of a dictionary.

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

I'm sure your interpretation is the right one.  You are a constitutional scholar, right?

1. profile image0

I'm as much a "Constitutional scholar" as anyone else!
          Because it doesn't take a rocket scientist (NOR a "scholar") to interpret that document!

You are correct, it doesn't take a rocket scientist, but you might want to rethink the scholar part.  Unless of course you work for Fox news.

2. profile image0

What, pray tell, is wrong with the term "Indian"?

I was simply asking Ron about his background, since he brought up the picture of an Indian (as though it was some form of challenge or something).

28. Flightkeeper profile image66

http://www.conservativecotton.com/images/t-shirts/thumbnails/stop_the_culture_of_victimhood_t-shirt_thumbnail.gif

There they go again.

29. mikelong profile image60

Brenda, you are as native to this land as your language....

Charles Eastman.....more Americans should get to know his story....

Powerful stuff..

1. profile image0

I don't get your meaning.
      Eastman "assimilated", I suppose one might say, into American culture.   Even contributed many good things to it, looks like.
      What's your point?   Do you consider that good or bad?

30. mikelong profile image60

If you like to project a term onto other people, that is your own thing...

"Thirty-three days after my departure from Cadiz I reached the Indian Sea (the Carribbean), where I discovered many islands, thickly peopled, of which I took possession without resistance in the name of our most illustrious monarch...

To the first of these islands, which is called by the Indians Guanahani, I gave the name of the blessed savior San Salvador....

On my arrival at that sea, I had taken some Indians by force..." <---Christopher Columbus, 1493

Yes...some people like to ignore the way others perceive themselves, and push their ideations around....like Mr. Columbus here...

Why anyone would want to follow in his footsteps I don't know...

I am glad that I do not..

Ignorance coupled by a "holier than thou" syndrome sickness.....

And we see the results....

What happened to these "thickly populated" places....

What happened to the Taino?

Not "Indians"...Taino....

"Indian" is a blanket term used to cover the genocide of specific peoples.......too bad men like Columbus didn't show up to your island Brenda....imagine what a group of men, at sea for 33 days all by themselves, would be seeking...lots of nice naked women running around...and no one to say "no".....

Keep identifying with the aggressor...

1. profile image0

Sheesh!
      First of all, I wouldn't have been runnin' around naked!
      So there!

big_smile

31. mikelong profile image60

Instead of reading Wikipedia on Eastman, you should read his own words....

What were his views of "assimilation" or of "Anglo-American" society?

You'll have to read his works to find out...

Ya can't skip the leg work...

I'm curious as to what you think about the assimilation of the Shoshone people into the United States.  Unlike the Lakota, Apache and Mojave people, they chose not to fight the white man.  As a people and a culture, they have done far better than many other tribal groups over the last century.

32. mikelong profile image60

What a response.....

This says a lot without saying much, as usual..

"So there"?

This statement only makes sense if we are playing some kind of silly game...

I am completely serious....

What of the Taino Brenda?

What happened to them?

Was this "nature" or the actions of man?

If I do today what Columbus did...even towards one person...would I be held responsible?  How?

If I did such things in the name of a nation, should/would I be applauded and rewarded?

Or should I be punished, and the nation that supported me likewise?

33. profile image0

And although neither of us actually can know about the past,  we can know what's happening right in front of our eyes, and this nation of America IS coming under an aggressor who I don't identify with at all.
    His name is Barack Obama.

And my main problem isn't fighting over this literal land!  It's the moral lay of this land that I'm defending.   The territory just comes with it.

34. mikelong profile image60

Brenda, we can both know about the past....

Reading Eastman's words brought me into his past....as well as reading those of Columbus...

When I pick up "Of Plymouth Plantation" I am seeing the past as well...

America has always been under an aggressor...but Barack just showed up...

The "paddyroller" was doing someone's orders....and their known violent actions easily demonstrate how people with low-self esteems look to raise themselves up by degrading others...either physically through fear or socially through shame....

Black/Slave Codes turned Jim Crow, now more "color blind"...all still present in some manifestation or other....like TK here posing as Sab Oh....

Men like Samuel Huntington have widely thrown about their views of the past...and carry a perspective that you, I guarantee it, would cling closely to ("The Hispanic Challenge"), but for all the wisdom of this now deceased professor, his errors in that article alone, and the waving of Protestant Anglo bias is so great that to take Huntington's writings seriously (as opposed to a piece of propaganda) is like watching "Birth of a Nation" to find out what the dominant current of mainstream America looked like....

Right?

(oh wait, Birth of a Nation actually is a great source to find this "American" feeling...oh so warm......heat coming from the burning crosses...check it out)

Who is this guy?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5FBxM_HFHp4/ReYxT6uoAqI/AAAAAAAAAOc/4Muj_oA5GrM/s400/byrdkkk.jpg

" violent actions easily demonstrate how people with low-self esteems look to raise themselves up by degrading others..."

You mean like resorting to childish insults when your argument breaks down?

35. Flightkeeper profile image66

What a bunch of crap you keep spouting mikelong. Everything you've said here so far is about playing the victim card.  You're just like that ku klux klan vizier you got there but you you're on the other side. 

As for those wage slaves that you keep talking about, it's all the more reason we send the illegal aliens out of the country already. Their lack of status is what keeps them in that kind of sad situation and it's not unusual for their own countrymen to take advantage of them.

36. profile image0

I don't think you understand, Mike.

As a citizen of the United States for over half a century,  I simply watch people's behaviors when possible.
    I haven't read up on some of those people you're talking about.
    I simply know that our history hasn't always been a good one!
    But then, whose has??

The United States has made many mistakes.  But they/we've always corrected them.

What I see clearly today is that we have a President with a HUGE chip on his shoulder;  a grudge-holder who wants to make a name for himself on supposedly "moral" issues when in fact he has no good morals; and the agenda he proposes is one that's ALREADY BEEN RESOLVED except in the minds of others who carry a similar chip on their shoulders!  A man who wants followers so badly that he refuses to show accountability for any of his words or actions.  A man whose "change" isn't worth pig-swill;  yet who verbally attacks anyone else who doesn't agree with him.

37. profile image0

I agree with Flightkeeper.

38. mikelong profile image60

Whatever "assimilation" means...

This word denotes a one-way transfer of culture, values, and ideas...

Have the Shoshone, as a people, left their culture, worldviews, and language behind?

Cross-assimilation occurs anywhere...."Dances with Wolves", "The Last of the Mohicans", the writings of Charles Eastman....all of this shows that there is a two-way transfer of ideas....and this is a beautiful thing...

The attitudes represented here in California against the ability of Native peoples to engage in gaming on their own reservations was fascinating to behold...and the few tribes who are able to engage in this economic niche are sharing the wealth with those who do not...and I applaud this behavior....it's not "socialism"...it's called human respect..

I am glad that the several ballot initiatives passed.....

Yet, for their economies to continue, they need to have more and more people with disposable income to travel into the desert....which is harder to find..

The reservations are closer than Vegas....but our state's future, as a whole, is in question...what is this next fiscal year going to bring?   

And elections for governor are coming......  Watch California, this is a key moment in our state's and natin's time..

California, that explains it.  Thank God my dad got transferred out of the crazy state.  I hated him for it at the time, but now I bless him.  You're on the ropes.  Too much in taxes, too much redistribution, in effect California has killed the goose that lay the golden eggs.  You can tout elections all you want, but California has finally run up against hard economic reality. 

Assimilation means becoming part of society in a way that does not include violence.  Plenty of people have assimilated into mainstream US life.  Everyone, for example, is Irish on St. Paddy's day.  We eat pizza from Italy, fried rice from China and tacos from Mexico.  So no, assimilation is not just a one-way transfer, it's more like what you call cross-assimilation.

The thing I find interesting is that you seem to support Indians in their quest to become masters of their own destiny, not just trying to get whatever scraps they can from the BIA, but don't see the criminality of California denying them the ability to do with their land as they see fit.  California telling anyone what they may or may not do with their property is socialism/communism.  If they want to hunt on their land, let them.

39. mikelong profile image60

I understand what your views are....  and I am not trying to change your mind...

But, it is important to ensure that readers see more than one side of the American image....

And when one uses "Indian" the reader should see that, in the United States, there is no "one" clear-cut view of its imagery or its acceptable use....

When one speaks things like this:

"I am native American...I am glad, though, that we have more civilized laws when it comes to morality, etc., than was had "back then" before my family's time" <---Brenda

it is important to show to readers that your words reflect several tragic flaws that denote a far deeper set of values...

-So Native Americans were savages...uncivilized, in your view?

-Native Americans were immoral? 

This is a case of projection compounded by blindedly identifying with the aggressor...

1. profile image0

I would say the same about you!
      You seem to be identifying with the current minority simply for the sake of identifying with the minority.
      Do you not hold anyone responsible for scalping or killing or rape or any crime besides "the white man"?

40. mikelong profile image60

I don't know TK/Sad....that is typically your modus operandi...

Thanks for answering uselessly again.

Was that a 'yes' or a 'no'?

41. mikelong profile image60

Led....California lost its production jobs to China...and Mexico...among other places...

The replacement industry, logistics....is booming while the new corporate hiring strategy...temp-labor (up over 500% in the Inland Empire alone)...is undermining our tax base....and people are losing their homes...further undermining the tax structure of new and expanding communities...like Lancaster and Palmdale..

The Green movement held, and still holds promise....Companies like QTWW are expanding....the Clean Ports Initiatives..like the Clean Trucks Program show promise....but we have many hurdles to cross first...

California is the breadbasket of the nation.....and if it can be righted, with respect paid to all its contributors and not just a few, this nation has a fighting chance...

But, that is why I love my job....a team is only as strong as its weakest link.....and our foster youth are the most likely to end up on ongoing public assistance....to end up homeless, and to end up in jail/prison....

One brain at a time, one community at a time...

You totally missed the post I made on the labor market, didn't you?  I'm glad you like your job.  I did something similar with the mentally ill.

The Green movement will be a failure.  How much money did we spend to get biofuel up and running?  What happened?  Food prices spiked and those companies still failed.  You have to let the markets work on their own, you can't force an outcome.

You lambast temp labor, but in many ways that's that only way a company can remain competitive.  Or would you rather see those companies that use temp labor go out of business?  You don't solve unemployment by forcing firms out of business.

42. mikelong profile image60

Brenda....I look to the Europeans who introduced the idea of scalping to the Americas....and the colonial and early national governments who paid in cash for the scalps of Natives...

Again, I am providing the yin to your yang....in its midst we find the balance...

1. profile image0

the balance is too often murky and tepid and boring and ....tolerant.  haha

In the case of issues about war and other things, though, yes it is good to try to find a proper balance....

43. Sab Oh profile image57
    Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

"California lost its production jobs to China...and Mexico...among other places..."

They didn't "lose" them, labor just shifted to where it was more cost effective. Again, basic economics offends your 'basic' political views.

44. mikelong profile image60

Jobs left...Tk....which means jobs were lost.........

Simple thoughts for Simple Sab..

45. mikelong profile image60

Led....while I realize that the State ultimately holds authority over the Native nations within it, I believe that this still represents undue interference......

The United States has a long history of promises...the reservations orgininally, aside from being vast and in areas that were highly resource rich, were supposed to be restricted from American settlement and redistribution...(talk about socialism...the great government land grand give-away)

It wasn't that long ago that the reservations were completely removed...

Too much control by those who promised over, and over, and over again something much different...

The Reservation System....one of America's first welfare programs...turning successful and wealthy peoples into something much different......

Mike, the government never owned the land.  At least not until the Great Land Grab in the 1970's.  It was held in trust for the American people.  The long struggle with the Indian nations was just the end of a long period of history in which tribal hunter-gatherer people's became sedentary farmers.  It began thousands of years before America.  American just happened to be the place it more or less ended.

The Indian nations are supposedly sovereign nations.  Being sovereign nations, the State really can't tell them what to do.  But the State, whether National or State, does anyway.  That's what happens when society loses respect for things like private property.

46. mikelong profile image60

Led...biofuel was ridiculous from the get go...but solar technologies....hydrogen...this is something different...

I used to do temp labor...real temp labor...

I worked for Prostaff...and my first job (just out of high school) was working for a company that opened its doors seasonally, packaging holiday cookies and pretzels....

I also worked in an office shortly for a company that needed extra staff to get paperwork packaged and delivered.

This is not a bad thing...I love it, actually...

But when warehouses use the temp system.....that is something else....

http://www.warehouseworkersunited.org/index.php?id=35

There are those who use the system well, and then others who do something completely different...

http://img2.webster.it/BUS/300/425/9780801474255.jpg

47. mikelong profile image60

Led, what is a "gift of public land"?

Doesn't matter.  That land did not belong to the government.  I guess they don't teach economics in California do they?  Capital for engaging in business is made up of three things.  Money, land and labor.  Since capitalism is the private ownership of the means of production, all land used in production has to be privately held.  That would fit the definition of "gift of public land".  What someone decides to do with that land is their own business, not anyone else, especially the state.  What exactly is your point?

48. mikelong profile image60

It does matter....all the land inherently belonged to the government....and then it was "gifted" out....

It was public first....given to the private...this is actively going on here in Los Angeles, and throughout the state...

Capitalism was not the gifting government...it was of those who received the land gifts..and the labor gifts...like the first and second Bracero Programs...an unjust transfer of wealth...

Read some history.  It never belonged to the government.  Once the government took it over, well then you saw it "gifted" out to the politically connected in order to garner political and monetary support.  Does Teapot Dome ring any bells or don't they teach history in California anymore?

Unjust transfer of wealth?  How about welfare?  People who have for generations not worked or contributed in any way except to cash their welfare checks once a month.  That's an unfair transfer of wealth.  Or how about people losing their homes because of "eminent domain"?  Another unfair transfer of wealth.

Also if you want to talk about local stuff, great, but you're going to have to give those of us not blessed with living in CA some background on what you're talking about.

49. mikelong profile image60

Again...look at the reservization of native peoples, or even to slavery...these are the original welfare systems....and they have perpetuated themselves....

How about the Illinois Land Grant.....a bit further back, you know Led...when governments were smaller...and business even more in charge...and Native peoples "standing in the way" of development....Manifest Destiny...(and only one type of "man" was reflected in that)...

And many things have not changed...

Seriously, read history.  Back when governments were smaller, those businesses used the power of government to force wars to get Indians out of the way to build the railroads.  Without Federal troops it never would have happened that way.

You know, it's useless to argue.  By your very writing, you've shown that you're totally ignorant of the past and indoctrinated with Progressive ideals.  I won't change your mind and you won't change mine.  But I would remind you that your state, following the principles you espouse, is going bankrupt; while those states which are not Progressive, while going through hard times, are not.

I'd also remind you that, once upon a time, Detroit was the great powerhouse of the industrial world.  Today it stands as a miserable shadow of it's former glory.  That is the end result of 100 years of Progressive politics.  If you'd not see the same thing happen in your state, I'd read a little more and question the state of things a bit more.

50. mikelong profile image60

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)