jump to last post 1-18 of 18 discussions (31 posts)

Balance Nat'l Debt in 30DAYS *BUT* Must Remove 1-STATE-WHICH One Goes?

1. steffsings profile image80
    steffsingsposted 7 years ago

A herd of the our nations economists create a 'SURE-FIRE-WAY' to balance US National Debt! which results in...

1) Lower taxes
    2) Increased Jobs
    3) and  happiness & BIG smiles & general well-being for all

HOW? Just One US STATE must GO! It will be divide into 1/3's and the surrounding states will absorb their residents & resources

WHICH STATES WILL IT BE? You decide...

1. Dense profile image76
      Denseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Assimilation. No!

steffsingsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It's for the greater GOOD... ( and general well being of all - no Borg involved)

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I know D.C. is not a state but that's the one that goes.  If I have to pick an actual state, I say California.

2. habee profile image96
    habeeposted 7 years ago

I vote for Alabama - it was once part of GA, anyway! but so was Mississippi!

3. TheGlassSpider profile image74
    TheGlassSpiderposted 7 years ago

West Virginia......Our poor state gets raped and forgotten! Maybe if it got divvied up people would pay more attention to our crisis areas. Plus, it used to be part of Virginia.

4. TheGlassSpider profile image74
    TheGlassSpiderposted 7 years ago

This *is* a hypothetical question, right?

5. steffsings profile image80

Yes, (but maybe not, hmmm...)

Or we could just do:
    Canad'Alaska

1. TheGlassSpider profile image74
      TheGlassSpiderposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Noo, that'd never fly...We can't give land away, now! Plus - thar's earl up in that thar ice.

steffsingsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

(Steffsings cracking up now...) Ha!

1. TheGlassSpider profile image74
          TheGlassSpiderposted 7 years agoin reply to this

hehehehe....glad to share a chuckle smile

6. profile image56
    kj.McDanielposted 7 years ago

Wyoming.  No one would notice it was gone, and it would make no practical difference to the economy (coal and pastureland).  Would also give surrounding states a good amount of landfill space.

1. ledefensetech profile image71
      ledefensetechposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Except for the energy companies.  There's quite a bit of potential energy locked up up underneath Wyoming.  Why else do you think we don't hear much about the state?  They don't want anyone else to know.  It's quiet there and that's how they like it.

7. JeniferD profile image59
    JeniferDposted 7 years ago

I say we get rid of Texas.  They've been whining about seceding anyway!

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Second the nomination of Texas.

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
        Jim Hunterposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure Texas would volunteer to leave.

But if I had to pick a state I would choose Michigan.

Why?

Detroit, most worthless city in the country.

1. Sylvie Strong profile image59
          Sylvie Strongposted 7 years agoin reply to this

As PhoenixPoet pointed out, I think some people are missing the thread a bit.  For this to work, the state has to be assimilated, i.e., lose its identity and be absorbed by the states around it.  It doesn't get to leave and we don't get to kick it out.  We just stop paying for it to have a separate identity.  I hate to say it, but I think it needs to be a fly-over state in the middle of the country...who would miss it?  Maybe we take a poll and if a majority of a state's own citizens can't find their state on a map, it gets assimilated.  Although I'm a little afraid that might warrant losing a great many states.

8. rlaframboise profile image59
    rlaframboiseposted 7 years ago

Give California back to Mexico before they take it anyway.

1. PhoenixPoet profile image49
      PhoenixPoetposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No the state has to be assimilated by neighboring states!
      We, could, however, absorb Mexico AND Canada.
      There would be more people to tax, the illegals could go back to where they came from and STILL get benefits from being American AND let's face it--how many Canadian actors come here for work anyway?
      I wouldn't mind losing acting work to them--as much--if they were at least fellow countrymen!

9. Teresa McGurk profile image61
    Teresa McGurkposted 7 years ago

Well, I hesitate to say this, because I don't like sounding as mean and rude as I really am, but if we got rid of South Carolina (where I have lived since 1984) the average IQ in the states would zoom up considerably.

Now, before I get hate mail, I'd just like to say that the people in South Carolina are just as smart as anyone else in any other part of the country. But the education system here sucks so much that the folk who hand out high school diplomas are guilty of fraud.

1. Tom Cornett profile image77
      Tom Cornettposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Wow...you just described Ohio too!  smile

10. kerryg profile image86
    kerrygposted 7 years ago

Why get rid of only one? I thought this was kind of a neat idea.

11. fetty profile image76
    fettyposted 7 years ago

Probably North Dakota. There are so few people living there. However, the land is rich, flat and known for its wheat crop. I'm not sure South Dakota would want them.

12. habee profile image96
    habeeposted 7 years ago

I still say Alabam.

13. Pamela99 profile image87
    Pamela99posted 7 years ago

California as they need bailout money to survive and Mexico thinks its there property anyway.

14. Abecedarian profile image79
    Abecedarianposted 7 years ago

It would be Alaska, the welfare state.  In 1996 they took in more federal money than any state, something like 31% above the national average.  Today it's 71%. They pay $1 in highway taxes and get back $5.76 for every dollar they pay.  It's like a pyramid scheme in that state.  They get so much federal money that they aren't experiencing the job losses that we are in the lower 48.  Since, we're almost completely supporting them already, might as well take over it.

15. profile image60
    C.J. Wrightposted 7 years ago

I'm torn, my head says Michigan, but my heart says CALIFORNIA!!!!
    It would take California months to even realize we ditched them!

Besides the nicest part of Michigan is the UP and half of those people think they are Canadians anyway!

No wait a minute I misread.....

OK here is what we need to do:

Split Cali, but split it 8 ways, creating 7 new states. That way we have 57 STATES!!!!

16. Christene profile image73
    Christeneposted 7 years ago

North & South Carolina should just become 'Carolina'
    Same with North & South Dakota.
    Virginia & West Virginia could merge too.

6 states become 3 big_smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image95
      Rochelle Frankposted 7 years agoin reply to this

This makes the most sense so far -- it would be easier for people to remember where they are. It would also get rid of six senators.

17. profile image60
    C.J. Wrightposted 7 years ago

In reality I don't like the idea. The States are what stand between the people and the Federal Government.

18. steffsings profile image80

I've thought long & hard... I think Wyoming! There are only a few thousand of you there anyway (minus the bison that you so cleverly use to 'beef' up census) As a parting gift, they could keep the 'W'  - Widaho, Wutah, and my personal favorite... "WhyNEBRASKA????

[politically correct disclaimer: an obvious attempt at humor, I love Wyoming as much as any other 'badland' state... and your bison too: xoxox's...etc...]

working