Is there such a thing as Responsible Government spending?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I sent this to my state reps & intend to send it as a Letter to the Editor of the local paper.

As a law-abiding, taxpaying, legal citizen of Wisconsin and the United States of America, I request you, as my state legislator, to listen to what I have to say and represent me so that my vote counts.

With the financial crisis of the United States, and the world, in recent memory, it is really no surprise that the citizens of Wisconsin elected a new governor in the last election.  A new governor who, as promised, has created a bill that not only addresses the state of Wisconsin's current budget deficit but also promises to provide responsible management for the future.  So far, we have only heard from the teachers.  Not one word has been reported from Madison Metro, which stands to lose millions in federal funding, regarding the loss of their collective bargaining unit.  Why?  Perhaps because it's seen as a necessary action in order to balance the budget.

Governor Walker's legislation proposes limiting the collective bargaining rights of teachers to wages within the consumer price index.  One must ask the question, why?  With a little research, it isn't difficult to understand.  Not only do Wisconsin teachers receive excellent pay at an average of $52,000/yr., but they pay little to nothing towards their pension, and pay only 6% toward their health insurance benefit.  The next logical question is:  Where do the rest of the funds come from?  Answer:  Same place as the funds that pay their wages - Increasing tax rates.  It appears to me that the people who pay the taxes that pay the wages are the people whose opinions ought to matter most.

Rather than appreciate having a job, in this economy, these teachers call in sick in order to protest against contributing to their own retirement and paying a more reasonable amount towards their health insurance.  This protest is disguised as a protest against losing collective bargaining rights, and is endorsed as such, by those who claim the legislation is, in fact, an assault on unions.  These same teachers are then witnessed, on live TV news, receiving a written doctor’s excuse, while at the protest, in order to avoid disciplinary action upon returning to work - after this illegal strike ends.

Once again, one must ask why Governor Walker proposed such a controversial change to the collective bargaining unit of the teachers union.  Perhaps Governor Walker understands what many Wisconsin citizens have known for years:  Union bargaining for state employees is out of control.  Collective bargaining is not a right; it is a privilege that has outspent itself.  If collective bargaining is not limited to wages, immediately, you can believe we will face this issue again, because these teachers, who profess to care so much about their students that they are willing to promote an illegal strike, and protest to protect their own pockets, will not have learned their lessons.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

nope!

When you are allowed to spend other people's money, there's no incentive to spend it wisely or responsibly.

"It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost."
      -- Murray Rothbard

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No incentive?

I thought getting reelected might be one incentive.

There are also laws that require responsibility.

What is more likely to get you re-elected? Promising more than you can deliver, and then blaming the problem on immigrants? or fiscal conservatism?

Who blames immigrants? Conservatives. Who destroys compassion? Conservatives. Who always is on the wrong side of every social issue? Conservatives.  Who never wants to pay taxes? Conservatives.

"who is always on the wrong side of every social issue? Conservatives"

Rofl.

"Who destroys Compassion? Conservatives."

That's just not true. Conservative states give more REAL charity than liberal states, who rely on stealing money from one another and then spending it on the poor (taxes and welfare).

It ain't compassion if it's mandatory.

Anyway, trying to get government to spend responsibly is like trying to teach a cat to bark.

Wrong side - from slavery to civil rights to women voting to gay rights and everything in between: conservatives are ALWAYS on the wrong side.

Charity? Conservatives give to churches to help support their missionary efforts.

... are you saying that giving money to churches isn't charity?

Yes, I am.

2. Larry The Gorilla profile image60
                Larry The Gorillaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The average teacher works nearly 70 hours a week for 10 months each year for their pay check. While on the job they have to put up with more stress than any other professional. You couldn't get a doctor or a lawyer to work 70 hours a week for you if all you were going to pay them was $52,000 a year. You sure couldn't get the Governor to show up for that kind of money,  yet he wants to cut teachers pay. Another fat cat who wants it all for himself and leave only the crumbs for the others in the world. Of course for me I've always been happy with just a few bananas, but what do I know I'm only a Gorilla.

1. lovemychris profile image76
                  lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, for a Gorilla, you're a dam sight smarter than that governor of Wisconcin.

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
                    Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have an avocado that's smarter then the governor of Wisconsin.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61

*To avoid conflicts of interest and in the spirit of professionalism, I will intentionally obfuscate my comment*

I'm becoming a teacher.

Many of the teachers I work with at "Cheez Whiz School #15" don't work anywhere NEAR 70 hours a day. I have yet to meet one who works more than 40 hours a week. Many of them are making $80k+. In fact, I know quite a few teachers who REFUSE to work outside of school. And, on top of that, many of the teachers I meet refuse to even meet up for 15 minutes after school to DISCUSS THE CURRICULUM.

Many of my fellow student teachers, working at numerous other schools, are observing the same thing.

Nice try.

1. Larry The Gorilla profile image60
                    Larry The Gorillaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you plan on becoming a teacher and don't plan on working 70 hours a week, you won't be doing your best work, because that's what it takes if you are going to be a good elementary school teacher. I can't speak for everyone but it 's a six day week at 10 to 12 hours a day for a lot of us.

It  sounds to me as if you  are looking for something that doesn't exist an easy school teaching job. When you've taught for five or ten years lets see if you still feel that teachers have it easy.

Evan if your going to make a difference in the life of the children you teach, it takes a lot of preparation time each night and that does not include grading papers or test and we all have families to look after.

Teachers who have been in the profession for a while know they only have so many hours in a day to get what needs to be done finished, before they have to start all over again. If management wants to inform teachers of changes that's what we have e-mail for. Unnecessary meetings take up a lot of a persons time, when and time is what we don't have enough of.

If you make it as a teacher Evan you'll find that your time is more important than you think it is right now. Good luck in student teaching, as that has it's on set of challenges.

Being a Gorilla living a tree, I' ve been hanging around the forest a long time and when you have been in the work place for thirty years you will realize that with inflation $52,000 or even $80,000 a year wont buy very much today.

As a Gorilla and living in a tree I've learned to get by on a few bananas, but you will have to pay rent and taxes, which I don't have to pay.

Watching humans over the years I find them to be very interesting creatures. Those with lots of bananas want to deny others the right to a share of the banana tree. While as a gorilla when I've eaten my fill I go take a nap and let others have their share of the tree. This is something I don't see in humans. They all seem to want more bananas that they will ever be able to eat, even if others around them go hungry. Us Gorillas   don't always see or under stand the reasoning behind the things that people do. But I guess were just different in that way.

Keep smiling,

Larry the Gorilla

2. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol  lol  lol

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

???  funny? hmm

(hi Kimberly! how are ya?)

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago
  3. Gail Anthony profile image59
    Gail Anthonyposted 13 years ago

Our problems are not created by responsible government spending which does exist.  They are created by irresponsible government spending which, unfortunately, also exists.

4. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

The question of the OP should be -

"Is There Such a Thing as Responsible Taxation?"

Therin lies the key to fixing the deficit and national debt.

Make a guess - If you were going to guess the midpoint of income what would it be? In other words, as a percentage, how far above the midpoint of the population would you go to find the midpoint of income? Would you guess that 70 percent by population earn half the income (30 percent by population earn the other half)?

Nope - what about 80/20? The poorest 80% earn the same as the richest 20% Nope. Try 90/10. The richest TEN PERCENT earn as much as the poorest 90 percent.

Take off your 3-cornered hat and figure it out. You are pimping for the rich by trying to strip the worker of his rights and spare the rich man (I mean the REALLY rich man) from paying his share.

Here's an extra-credit question. Assume a balanced budget and a national goal of halving the national debt in 30 years. Do you have any idea how much YOUR share of the national debt as a monthly payment is? Hint - it's probably less than you think.

Yes, it's abso-f'kn-lutely incredible!

10% have everything...THANKS to gvt policies, btw.

And they are allright with it. It's mind-blowing!

We really have been brainwashed or something.

When I think of my grandparents leaving their countries....and just look what 3 generations have done here!

You are getting very sleepy.....
      Follow the bouncing ball.......

It is INSANE.

Here's another one who thinks it's unbelievable...Dennis Kucinich:

Unbelievable

Dear Citizen,

Unbelievable. First they want to redistrict me to get me out of Congress.

Now the GOP led Congress voted last week to eliminate all funding for the U.S. Institute of Peace (USIP) - one of the few programs in the budget dedicated to conflict prevention and non-violence - while they added another $158 billion in the same budget for the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. The two wars will consume $42.7 million - the entire budget for the USIP - in 142 minutes.

It's a one-two punch to our efforts to promote peaceful conflict resolution over war.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61

Taxation is theft. If the rich get taxed less, that's good, if the poor get taxed less, it's good.

5. DTR0005 profile image60
    DTR0005posted 13 years ago

You all may want to check out the National Labor Relations Act of the Wagner Act (1935)
    This is just to remind the short-sighted that the "right to collective bargaining" is supported by law. And the law was in reaction, in large part, to the same union-busting Bullsh*t of the Hoover years and prior.
    Sure, public employees need to constribute more to their benefits, but HELL NO! to giving up the right to collective bargaining.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)