Ex-Boyfriend pushes free speech too far? Or is he in the right?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (24 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

Well I was just reading this off Yahoo a minute ago, and it seems a guy chooses to exercise his free speech rights in a rather colorful way.  According to this guy's story, his ex-girlfriend gets an abortion, so he decides to invest money in a billboard condemning her decision.  Of course, he's being taken to court over this, as his ex views this as harassment.  But his lawyer is defending him by saying that this billboard falls within his constitutional rights to free speech to voice his opinion against his ex's alleged abortion.

Here's where it gets even more interesting.  According to her friend, there was no abortion at all.  No, they claim it was allegedly a miscarriage, and that billboard is an invasion of privacy.  Well her lawyer did say that he has not discussed the true nature of his client's pregnancy completely, but did cite that whether it was a miscarriage or abortion is irrelevant.  Citing that the defendant had no right to put up the billboard condemning her to begin with, and claims it's a grotesque form of harassment.

Anyways, here's the link for more details on this issue:

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/jilted-ex-bo … 42831.html

Personally, I think the guy is a moron, who had no business putting up the billboard to begin with, as things like this need to be kept private between the parties involved.  Then again, it's not up to me. What are your thoughts on this though?

1. lizzieBoo profile image60
      lizzieBooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds to me like the guy is traumatised by the breakup of his relationship and then loosing the child has pushed him over the edge. His actions indicate he is going through some kind of a breakdown in my view.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I agree.

2. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 13 years ago

This is just a movie to illustrate the rights of the father in relation to the unborn child.

The answer is that without a formal agreement, such as marriage, that legalises the rights of the father by excericising his rights over the mother via the legal contract of marriage - then the father has no rights in law except the new paternity rights etc that arise from divorced fathers.

1. profile image0

What makes you say it's a movie? 

Yeah, you do have a point about that.  Only more reason to prove how utterly classless this guy is for his actions.

1. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I assumed it was a movie because it had your name at the top of the thread big_smile

1. profile image0

lollol Very funny.  lol

3. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

There is wonderful dissection of AG Gardinar's essay on free speech. Though a hundred years old, the essay, a most sensible one, holds good even today.
    Free speech be damned if it infringes on anything at all.

mission.akshaya.net/dpi/Textbook/Languages/English/chapter5.PDF

4. Stump Parrish profile image60
    Stump Parrishposted 13 years ago

This is the second time I've seen something about this with in 5 minutes. My personal opinion is that the billboard is wrong. The abortion appearantly hasn't been proven to be anything but a miscarriage. With out reliable proof that there was an abortion he paid for a public attack on her character in what I am assuming is her hometown. whether or not she had the abortion, did he have the right to attack her publically where her entire town would hear about it and in a fashion that has drawn national attention to her?

Some will say that my position is based upon my pro-choice stance and that's cool. Bottom line is that if the alledged abortion didn't take place, most people would say he didn't have the right to post the attack. That is my under educated opinion base partially on facts that I can remember. Peace

1. profile image0

You certainly do bring up a valid point there.  As I stated earlier, whether it was an abortion or miscarriage is really irrelevant.  What is relevant is that something like this should've never happened, as he clearly had no right to publicly disrespect her like that. 

Even if someone is pro-life on this issue, and it was proven to be an abortion, then it still doesn't make it right by the person to do such a thing like this.  If this guy had any class, he never would've done this to begin with.

5. Aficionada profile image81
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I don't agree with what the man did at all.  However, I did read (in the article that I read) that the woman was not named on the billboard.  It said something like "This would be my baby today if my girlfriend had not aborted it."  Or similar words.  It certainly does point the finger at the woman who had been his girlfriend.  Does the fact that she was not named make a difference?

1. profile image0

That's a very tough call if you ask me, as I did notice that as well.  However, as stump suggested, this billboard might've been strategically placed within her own home town to discriminate her. Or it could've been just one bizarre coincidence that it ended up in the location that it did to gain her attention in the first place.  Personally, I still say issues such as these need to remain private between the parties involved, as the man clearly has issues if you ask me.

2. profile image58
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think so. At least regarding her privacy rights. Would if he had another girlfriend who was pregnant and had an abortion? We don't know. Invasion of privacy is personal, I just don't know if he went far enough for the law. I do think he crossed the line of socially acceptable behavior though. In which case being stupid was expensive...as it should! I'm certain it was pretty expensive for the sign. Not to mention the court cost he will now face.

1. Aficionada profile image81
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love that you pointed out this distinction!  I think it is one of those things that we Americans (many of us, anyway) can so easily forget.  Even if something is legal and within our rights, it may have negative social implications that should be weighed as well!

I wonder whether the man had a specific goal in mind when he bought the billboard, or if he was so blinded by his emotions that he didn't consider consequences at all?

6. lovemychris profile image78
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

No such thing as free speech. Anywhere. And least of all here in America!

Somebody ALWAYS controls what gets through.

1. profile image0

Interesting observation, and one that certainly has some validity.  However, do you think what the guy did was justified?  Or not though?

7. Jinesh07 profile image61
    Jinesh07posted 13 years ago

I don't think that his actions were justified. He may have been upset and angry over the miscarriage/abortion but publicly condemning his ex isn't the way to deal with it. There's no benefit from his actions and I'm sure he will regret it in the future.

1. profile image0

I agree.  Personally, I think all this does is make the guy look like a real a**hole to his ex, and probably guarantees that there will be no chance she'll ever want anything to do with him again. 

There's no excuse for what this guy did.

8. zduckman profile image61
    zduckmanposted 13 years ago

It might be free speech , but what a punk...thats just childish and mean

1. profile image0

Well said zduckman.  smile

9. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

I am not American, so here is an interesting viewpoint for you, especially since the issue you raised Steve, immediately made me think about it. What has the higher overriding factor in the USA in the eyes of the law, the US Constitution or Personal Liberties and Freedoms? Hmmmm.....

1. profile image0

It depends on who you ask, but I can't really answer that completely seeing as how I'm not a lawyer or politician to give you a full detail definition of the law. 

If we're speaking strictly from a legal perspective, then I guess you'd have to go with the US Constitution.  Then again, I'm not a lawyer or politician, so that's just an educated guess.  However, personal freedoms and liberties are a right among Americans, BUT those same said liberties and freedoms should never come at the expense of other's liberties and freedoms.

10. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I think the whole thing is just sad. 

What should have been a private matter between these two people has turned into a circus. But in today's voyeuristic society of reality TV where people hang out their dirty laundry for the world to see, and where every teen with a cellphone can get their 15 minutes of fame by splashing themselves all over Youtube, this immature idiot's childish response to his ex's alleged abortion doesn't surprise me one bit. His actions speak to why she's his ex.

1. profile image0

I agree with you 100 percent.  All this really does is prove how much of a real a**hole he is to not only his ex-girlfriend, but everyone they both know as well; maybe more.  Personally, he's lucky I'm not the judge.  Otherwise, I'd throw the damn book at him for simply being an idiot.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)