Did you have roots as a child or did you move from place to place?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. KK Trainor profile image60
    KK Trainorposted 12 years ago

Were you a military brat, child of the oil industry, etc? Did your family move a lot as you were growing up or did you live in just one place? Did you live in more than one country as a kid?

Either way, how did it impact your world outlook? Did it make you more able to adapt to new situations or did you become an introvert, unable to make new friends? Do you think that influences your political views today?

1. DonnaCSmith profile image84
      DonnaCSmithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was born in upstate NY, then we moved to my mother's NC hometown when I was about two years old. We lived there the rest of my life - until I moved after I was divorced, still in NC.

2. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I grew up in NYC and had "roots" until I was 11 when my mother passed away.  After that I lived in several different foster placements (I refuse to call them homes or families), which did impact me greatly. Eventually I had enough of being warehoused by people who couldn't have cared less about me and ran away to California, where I lived for many years.  I've also lived in Texas, Florida where I still maintain a home, and now in the New England area.  I think I'm very adaptable to new situations, but I'm not sure if the foster care system had anything to do with that.  It seems to me that I have always had an open mind and always try to make the best of every situation.

1. Chaotic Chica profile image60
        Chaotic Chicaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have always felt bad for children who have had to suffer through the foster care system but you seem to have really made the best out of your life despite it all.  It is a testament to your character for sure!

1. Disturbia profile image61

I have to tell you, my experience in the various foster placements is what set me up to marry my first husband.  I was a runaway living in the streets and he invited me to live with him in his home.  There didn't seem to be any other motive than he was lonely and I needed shelter, so both our needs were met.  I was so used to moving in with strangers that I didn't even give it a second thought.  It evolved into an eight year relationship which ended when he passed away from a massive stroke.  He took very good care of me, I lacked for nothing material, he saw to my education, and left me very well provided for.

1. profile image0
            klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's an amazing story Disturbia. You should write a book.

1. Disturbia profile image61

My story is really not that amazing and hardly worthy of a book, but I did write about my marriages in my hubs.  Kids run away or are kicked out of their homes all the time.  The inner city streets are full of them.  And certainly I wasn't the first young woman to marry an older gentleman of means because he could provide a comfortable life.  wink  But I must say, it's been quite the ride and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  I absolutely love my life and I enjoy every minute of it.  I wouldn't trade with anyone.  I'm only sorry I can't be 25 again and do it all over.  If the devil came with a contract, I'd say, show where to sign? lol

1. profile image0
                klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No regrets, NEVER, there is no point to regrets. What's done is done, you learn, you grow, and you can't rewind and do it all over again. I'm happy that there is a happy ending to your story. smile

3. Ms Dee profile image85
      Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I grew up in one place, and most summers my dad--a U professor--would take us on camping trips to see the USA. Though very shy as a child, this inspired me with interest in the adventure of seeing new places and as an adult I have now lived in two Asian countries for a good number of years. I am an Introvert, though, and so is my sister who married a local and lives just 20 minutes from where we grew up. I think she and I both have had to work hard in learning how to make new friends, but my personality type lends itself more to it than she--we are different types of Introverts. Our political views seem to be about the same, though. One's personality type, I see, is such a huge factor.

2. Chaotic Chica profile image60
    Chaotic Chicaposted 12 years ago

My mom was born in another country then went from Arkansas to Washington State where I was born.  When I was four, her and I moved to New Jersey where I stayed until my enlistment.  Boot Camp was in Illinois, duty station was in Virginia, moved to Kansas with the man who would be my ex, moved to South Carolina to get away from said ex and we are looking at one last move to put the kids in a better school system as this one is beyond horrible.

As far as how all this has effected everyone, my mother is an introvert, resentful and bitter.  She doesn't trust people very easily.

I, on the other hand, have been known to be too trusting.  I am social though not exactly an extrovert.  I am open minded and always up to try something new.  My hang up is that I don't make friends easily but only because I don't tend to open up right away.  My personality is at home in the garage or out with hanging with the boys and the other girls comfortable in a man's world and because of that, I'm just not sure of myself among the PTA moms who gossip about each other and worry about the kind of high school nonsense that makes shows like Desperate Housewives appealing to them.

The bottom line is that I grew up too independant for my own good.  I value the friendships I have but I don't NEED to make friends with the other women on the block to be happy.  I am also terrible at keeping in touch with people for that same independant reason.  It's not because I don't want to keep in touch, I just get so busy doing my own thing that I forget.

3. wheelinallover profile image76
    wheelinalloverposted 12 years ago

I was born in the midwest, moved to another state at 4, another at 5, then moved within that state, (one year there were 11 moves), until I was grown. All the moving gave me a wanderlust that has remained part of me to this day.

I don't remember staying anyplace longer than where I live right now. I have my parents and grandparents to thank for that. My mother and grandmother are buried about three miles from my current home, this town also is what my grandmother called home for 85 years. My fathers contribution was a trust which paid cash for my home. 

I am considered in introvert, but get along well with people bought into my sphere of influence. I few problems talking with others, especially now that my thinking is done in English. Luckily for me the reoccurring visits from the person I loved most kept me grounded. It didn't matter where I was, grandmother would always find me.

My most comfortable times were when her and I were together no matter where that happened to be. In the forest, on the desert, or at whatever place was home at the time even when I was with my father, her being there gave me a feeling of belonging.

1. KK Trainor profile image60
      KK Trainorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well I am glad you had her, she sounds remarkable. It's nice to know that no matter how many times you move there is one person who always remains your "rock". Mine was my grandmother too so I can relate.

4. Charles James profile image68
    Charles Jamesposted 12 years ago

When I was young my family moved a lot. Until the age of 11 I averaged one school every two terms.

I know I saw one film about the Dutch tulip industry 3 times - but I have no idea what I missed. Maybe grammar.

I very soon stopped worrying about going to a new school. I knew I would make friends, but I knew they would be different to the friends I had in the previous schools. Perhaps as an outsider I tended to make friends with other outsiders, because they did not have a full roster of friends.

I was very secure in my home life, whuich must have helped.

5. dutchman1951 profile image59
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

Navy Brat here, place to place or Base ot Base I mean!

6. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

I lived in one place, a small town which made me grow up and move around alot to different states...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)