Solyndra: Obama's Watergate?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (92 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 12 years ago

Solyndra is a solar company that went bankrupt after receiving $535 million from the federal government. Could this be Obama's Watergate? What do you think?

1. lovemychris profile image77
      lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's chump change compared to Haliburton and Blackwater/Xe...

STILL waiting for something to be done about them.....you better get in line.

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And Whitewater. Don't forget Whitewater.

2. profile image0
        Longhunterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Aaaah, yes, the ever-present LMC with her pessimistic attitude about EVERYTHING and who we all know hates:

1. Bush
        2. Cheney
        3. Everyone that's Republican
        4. Everyone that's Conservative
        5. Everyone that's Christian
        6. Big Business
        7. Small Business
        8. Her Job
        9. Her Boss
        10. Her Life
        11. Haliburton
        12. Blackwater
        13. Mostly, Herself

I'm sure there's more but it's Friday and I'm in a good mood so I'm going to stop with a baker's dozen. However, lets not forget, according to LMC, everything that has, can, and will go wrong from 2000 to the end of time is Bush's fault.

Habee, Oh, crap, you brought up Whitewater!!! I'm sure you know that was the Clinton's so be very afraid. LMC is liable to pop up at anytime and verbally hit you over the head with some wild conspiracy theory about how this was . . . . . . WAIT FOR IT!!! . . . . . . YEP, YOU GUESSED IT!!! . . . . All BUSH'S FAULT!!! Him and the Knight's Templar or some such.

Que Twilight Zone Theme and fade to black!!!

1. lady_love158 profile image61
          lady_love158posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lol! Well, at least she's consistent and unashamed of her views, (however misguided they may be).

2. American View profile image60
          American Viewposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Did you know the Subpena for Hillary to turn over records was never complied with and is still on Congresses books. They have not cancelled it yet LOL

3. uncorrectedvision profile image60
        uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Numbers?

"In December 2001, Kellogg, Brown and Root, a subsidiary of Halliburton, secured a 10-year deal known as the Logistics Civil Augmentation Program (LOGCAP), from the Pentagon. The contract is a "cost-plus-award-fee, indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity service" which basically means that the federal government has an open-ended mandate and budget to send Brown and Root anywhere in the world to run military operations for a profit.

Linda Theis, a public affairs officer for the U.S. Army Field Support Command in Rock Island Arsenal, Illinois, confirmed for Corpwatch that Brown and Root is also supporting operations in Afghanistan, Djibouti, Georgia, Jordan and Uzbekistan.

"Specific locations along with military units, number of personnel assigned, and dates of duration are considered classified," she said. "The overall anticipated cost of task orders awarded since contract award in December 2001 is approximately $830 million."

http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=6008

This is only KBR, mind you. There are many more"friends of DICK" you know. And Blackwater Erik Prince was "allegedly" providing little girls to our military for a little yum yum......That is why HE escaped to the United Arab Emerites, where he is free from prosecution of his crimes...pimping, is that the word for it?
          Whatever it is--he's free and clear, so you know, let's GET OBAMA.

1. TMMason profile image59
            TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And what did our military do with the lil girls? You said yum yum... and then in another post you infer the lil girls are raped... who rapes them? If he gave them to our military who do you think you are saying raped them?

Please... get real.

You forgot the word allegedly, which was right before you marked all the words up. Allegedly means just that...an allegation.
              Like you and your crowd alleged that Obama was not born here.
              Allege that he hates America.
              Allege that he is a terrorist.
              I can allege anything that I have read and believe and don't have to prove a thing.

But if you are so keen on finding out, google it yourself.

Military rapes?---google

US military involved in child prostitution?--google it

Do your own work.

Oh so now you do not believe it.

You were acting like allegedly meant nothing. So you think he is innocent of the charges... good to hear.

And as I have said I have seen and heard all the leftist Anti-American BS from your side, and it simply justifys my assertion regarding you leftists.

No, he is not innocent. That is why he ran to the UAE.

Source: Salem-News

"New disturbing charges have emerged against XE, the infamous private security firm formerly known as Blackwater Worldwide, whose operations came under spotlight after its 2007 carnage in Baghdad.

According to a report by MSNBC and based on alleged sworn declarations by two Blackwater employees in federal court, the firm used child prostitutes at its compound in Baghdad’s fortified Green Zone.

The declarations added Iraqi minors got involved in sexual acts with Blackwater members in exchange for one dollar. It is further alleged that Erik Prince, the firm’s owner, “failed to stop the ongoing use of prostitutes, including child prostitutes, by his men.”

Based on other statements, the firm was involved in another sex scandal; “Prince’s North Carolina operations had an ongoing wife-swapping and sex ring, which was participated in by many of Mr. Prince’s top executives.”

The two employees also alleged that Prince “views himself as a Christian crusader tasked with eliminating Muslims and the Islamic faith from the globe,” The Nation reported.

Prince also allegedly forced health professional to endorse the redeployment of those Blackwater members who had been mental problems, such as excessive drinking and drug abuse.

The criminal activities of the firm first came under scrutiny after a group of the firm’s members who were tasked to guard US diplomats in Iraq opened fire on civilians in Baghdad on September 2007, killing 17 people.

Other charges against the firm include arms smuggling, money laundering and tax evasion."

So you believe our military rapes lil girls after this pimp supplies them.

I was correct to begin with and my original conclusion of the leftists stands.

2. My Esoteric profile image82
                  My Esotericposted 12 years agoin reply to this

At least you are now identifying who "you" is ... leftist.  That must mean you are a "rightist".  Let's take a little test regarding the "left" and the "right", TMMason.  Tell me, if you would, out of the following list, who are your biggest heros, you only get to pick three?

George Washington, Patrick Henry, John Adams, George Mason, James Madison, Richard Henry Lee; all considered Founding Fathers, to one degree or another, of the American Revolution.

2. uncorrectedvision profile image60

Kellog, Brown and Root actually produced something for the $800+ million, produced jobs and fulfilled contracts - they faced legal trouble and paid $400 million in fines.  KBR and Halliburton were not run by campaigners for GWB or major fund raisers - unlike Solyndra. Dick Cheney(the great) had no stock in Halliburton and drew no salary from them - severing ties prior to the 2000 election.

BUT...all of this is academic because we now have change we can believe in from the most transparent administration in history.  It is an administration hostile to "crony capitalism" because?  It just isn't profitable enough for one political allies to get actual contract that they need to fulfill.  The new Obama Cronism is so much better, you get to bundle a few thousand, get hundreds of millions and don't have to produce a thing.

Change we can believe in.
            Hope and Change.

Wasn't GWB bad enough for you, now you want a corrupt Democrat president.

KBR caused the death of American soldiers in showers, because they failed to install them properly.
              They overcharged for food and supplies.
              They refused to go into zones that they deemed too dangerous....even though our soldiers were there, and KRB were paid 3 times what our soldiers were.

Scamming racket. Out to make a profit off war.

1. uncorrectedvision profile image60

As opposed to making a profit for channeling campaign funds to Obama and producing nothing.  Profit is not a dirty word, though I am sure it tastes dirty to some.

1. My Esoteric profile image82

No, Uncorrectedvision, profits are not a dirty word; unearned profits are, however and the GAO has found, in several different studies, that KBR, Halliburton, Blackwater, and many other war contractors had become in many instances, what use to be called "war profiteers" cheating the taxpayer blind of billions; companies, btw, who I am a little bit familiar with (well not Blackwater) in my 22 years in the DoD.

BTW, Solyndra channeling campaign funds to Obama is one charge I haven't heard yet, do you have a credible source for that?

1. habee profile image92
                  2. uncorrectedvision profile image60

Slyndra's CEO was a bundler for Obama's campaign in 2008.  Solyndra's request for federal loan guarantees was turned down by the Bush Administration in January 2009. Those loan guarantees were fast tracked in the early days of the Obama administration.  That is the sequence.  It was not a laundering operation at the out set.  Who knows what will be uncovered? 

It wouldn't be the first time money has been laundered for a Democrat presidential campaign.  Just ask all those Buddhist nuns in California.  The ones with the checking accounts who wrote checks for Al Gore to scoop up.

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php … 78,0,0,1,0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Unite … ontroversy

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/po … 022398.htm

No question that Halliburton (with its strong Cheny connection) and their subsideraries hired lots of people, as did many honest contractors.  What sets Halliburton, et al is 1) their political connections at the very highest levels (Dick Cheny, my old boss, being the highest) and 2) multiple GAO studies showing how they ripped off the taxpayer, some with interesting pointers back to good ol' Dick himself; none of which were ever investigated, btw, because of who was in charge of America at the time.

2. GNelson profile image60
      GNelsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No more like Whitewater and another a waste of time and money.  We need jobs.

3. My Esoteric profile image82

I really doubt it.  If misrepresenting himself to the American public and Congress into the Iraq war didn't bring Bush down, why should this be Obama's Watergate (which I think is the wrong analogy in any case.  You might try Teapot Dome or something.)

You are right.  Watergate did not result from the transfer of hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars to a supporter who worked hard to wrap up contributions and additional support for Nixon's re-election, unlike Solyndra(and others.) Solyndra is a clear abuse of a different set of powers than Watergate.  No Watergate more closely resembles "Bimbogate" under Bill Clinton.  But unlike the honorable Senate Republicans in the Watergate incident who told Nixon he was finished for abusing his power, Senate Democrats rallied around Bill Clinton and protected him from the consequences of abusing his.

Barrack Obama's administration is out of control.  Fast and Furious should end Eric Holder's career, Solyndra should fall on someone, perhaps that nut job, David Chu.  Just about time for the heads to start rolling anyway.  The wheels are off the Obama cart and the rats should start fleeing anytime now.( I love a good mixed metaphor)

I still don't get your analogy.  Watergate was a White House staff sponsored burglary of a Democratic office which consumed President Nixon when he tried to cover it up - clear abuses of political power for political purposes first by the President's staff and then by the President himself - a slam dunk case of political wrong doing of the highest order and clearly what impeachment was designed for.

"Bimbogate", as you call it, is about a president caught playing around sexually with an intern and then lying about it to the American public, boy did he lie; however, despicable ethics ( but common place among Presidents of all countries, it seems), but no crime - yet.  Also, unlike Watergate, this is all personal, no political motivation what so ever; that is clear.  What ended up being a crime, a civil one, by lying to a grand jury about his affair with the "bimbo".  It is this lie that, as TMMason likes to say, you rightists, latched onto as equivalent the Watergate break-in and Nixon's subsequent coverup, (unbelievable chutzpa if you ask me) and proceeded to drag the country through three years of unneeded abject misery.

This in no way excuses what Clinton did, of course, nor the lie to the grand jury, there were other, more appropriate ways of dealing with that including civil action; but, to say what Clinton did was the same as or worse than what Nixon and his whole staff did just boggles the mind and tells one clearly where the Conservatives priorities are and they are not with America.

Perjury and suborning perjury are imprison-able offenses - sounds like the kind of crime impeachment was meant to address.

Which is exactly why Bush and Cheney never testified under oath!

And the Republican Congress allowed them to do it. Allowed them to get away.

You sound surprised.  How many times in history has that happened.  If Democrats still controlled Congress would there be any chance that these things would come forward.  If you are honest with you own world view you will admit that they would not.

When the writers of the Constitution wrote the words "High Crimes and Misdemeanors" along with Treason and the other reasons you could Impeach a president, most constitutional scholars agree today, that it was not intended to cover what Clinton did; as I said, there are other remedies which is why they left civil penalties an option once a president leaves office.  They certainly didn't intend for one party (of course, they didn't plan on having any parties in the first place) to use the Impeachment process to bring the country to it's knees in their all consuming effort to bring down a president; totally against the will of a clear majority of the people, in this case.

2. lovemychris profile image77

Bingo!

4. Ralph Deeds profile image63
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It appears to me to deserve a thorough investigation.

1. habee profile image92

Good for you, Ralph.

Unfortunately, in spite of another response I made regarding the pressure the Obama administration brought to bear, or rather the outward lack of signs of it, I have to agree with you. 

Even though very smart men risked $1.1 billion of their Funds money, which is all but gone along with almost all of the $550 million of government money, by 2009, there were enough questions as to the viability of the project, at least questions you can find in the media, as to warrant concern.  Exactly why was the project approved on Sept 1, 2009 just a few days after OMB said they weren't quite yet ready to give final appoval.

Nevertheless, America did get some benefit, don't forget.  Around 1100 people were employed for about two years which means about $88 million was returned back in wages plus what ever was spent on construction of the plant, the purchase of the materials and other related costs.  So, America probably got back it terms of stimulus no less than $150 million.

3. profile image0

If it goes all the way to Obama, and it's determined he knew this company was already in trouble before receiving these funds, should he be prosecuted for any wrong doing?

You just heard vision....the only reason to prosecute is because he's a Democrat, and it's a Repub House.

If this was McCain, you all would ignore it, so NO.

It's all politics.

You let Bush get away with MUCH worse. Because he was "one of you". Hell no--you gave away the keys.

What did he get away with, Democrats controlled Congress from January 2007 and did not pursue any charges against GWB despite his being very unpopular.  Why is that?  Is it willful complicity on the part of Democrats with GWB's alleged crimes?  Is it a lack of courage on the part of Democrats?  Or could it be that there was no real crime to investigate?

The big crime, leaking Valerie Plame's status as a CIA employee, was over blown and settled with the conviction of Scooter Libby and the revelation the Richard Armitage leaked her identity.

No impeachment for GWB from the Democrats when they were in charge of Congress?  Why is that?

The history of the Nixon days is enough to show that Republicans will turn one of their own out if there is sufficient evidence.  It was Bob Dole and other Republican Senators who told Nixon his time was up.

2. profile image0

I didn't let Bush get away with anything. I've stated here Bush should not have gone into Iraq and that he was horrible on Illegal Immigration. I did not give the keys as I did NOT vote for the Socialist monstrosity now residing in the White House.

Now, I'm going to push your Bush Derangement Syndrome into high gear so maybe you'll once and for all get it all out of your system. It's like UCD asked above:

No impeachment for GWB from the Democrats when they were in charge of Congress?  Why is that?

If Bush was so wrong, why didn't the Democratic-led Congress impeach him? Could it have been there wasn't enough evidence? Could it have been that these same Dems were neck deep in what was going on? Could it be that the best they could do was go after Scooter Libby to try to get at Cheney then eventually Bush?

Could it be the Solyndra scandal goes all the way to Obama, with his direct involvement and your scared to death it's going to taint your new messiah's image? His image has long since been tarnished and grows more and more so everyday to the point that even now the Chicago Tribune is asking if Obama should not step aside from the 2012 election.

Your hate for Bush is eating you up inside and it's time to put a stop to it. Sooner or later you're going to have to move past your Bush Derangement Syndrome, LMC. You seem like an intelligent person but it's being hidden by your inability to move past the past.

He let 3,000 die for an agenda, which doesn't even profit America. You get over, it...I never will.

And I think anyone who is willing to let that administration slide has no businss speaking about anyone else.

Now carry on with your Obama hate.

1. profile image0

Wrong forum, LMC. Spread your 9-11 Conspiracy BS over on that forum.

If I tough for one damn minute someone within our government was responsible for 9-11, I, too, would be screaming for justice. However, I refuse to do so to satisfy the rantings of a person who sounds more than a little unhinged here lately.

Let me make something PERFECTLY clear. I DO NOT hate Obama. I do, however, believe he hates this country and its Constitution. Again, the ranting of a seemingly unhinged person will not sway me on that position.

Now, Solyndra comments go here. 9-11 Conspiracy BS go over there.

Oh I see...you get to tell me you do not hate Obama, AND you get to tell me that I hate Bush?

Wow----have it all ways don't you?

Let's see, former admn breaks the law(I'm being tame), and it's "fuggeddaboudit."

But now you want some sort of green light to go after this one?

What twisted idea of justice is that?
                  Uh uh, we already let a pres and his minions get away with murder......too bad, so sad for you wanting to get this one. Geeezuz, I learned that in kindergarden.....what's good for the goose, is good for the gander!

"If I tough for one damn minute someone within our government was responsible for 9-11, I, too, would be screaming for justice"

I'm glad you understand.

Now I'll shut up and you can get on with your Obama Vigilante Committee.

1. profile image0

Tell me something, LMC. If there was so much evidence against Bush and Cheney on anything, why didn't the Dem-led Congress go after them rather than through Scooter Libby?

You don't have a leg to stand on, LMC, and that Bush Derangement Syndrome prop you keep using keeps getting kicked out from under you. Maybe sooner or later you'll learn. I did say maybe.

2. lady_love158 profile image61

It goes right to Obama! They knew right from the start, and you know Obama knew about it because the restructured the loan so investors would get paid first, and the biggest investor was an Obama bundler and campaign contributor. If anyone really looks into this they will find ALL the "stimulus" money was doled out based upon political connections only which explains why the "stimulus" created ZERO jobs!

IF the evidence shows that Obama knew, or should have known (such as Bush and Saddam Hussein's lack of involvement in 9/11), that Solyndra was not a viable candidate for a government backed loan and then pressed for it's being granted anyway, which was then granted based on his pressure; then yes, he needs to be impeached. 

Somehow, I don't really believe that is the case, but, I am sure the Conservatives will try to make it seem like it is, regardless of whether it is true or not for remember ... the Conservatives publically stated number one goal over all else, including the good of the nation, is the destruction of Obama's presidency.  They certainly wouldn't let a little thing like the truth get in their way, why should they, they never have before, e.g., Rick Perry - Obama's stimulus created zero jobs (an outright lie and he knows it), Michelle Bachmann - the cervical cancer vaccine causes retardation (an outright lie and she knows it), and I can go on and on and on and on and ...

2. Reality Bytes profile image72
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

This could also lead to a historical episode.  What did the president know and when did he know it.  At the very least the AG should hand in a resignation.

Will Fast And Furious Cost Obama's Attorney General His Job?
    Grace Wyler   

Investigations into a gunrunning sting gone haywire are creeping closer to the top of the U.S. Justice Department and its head, U.S. Attorney General Eric H. Holder, Jr.
    A congressional report released yesterday reveals that top DOJ officials had knowledge of the sting, known as Operation Fast and Furious, in which U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) agents allowed more than 2,000 firearms to “walk” across the U.S. border to Mexico and into the hands of Mexico’s brutal drug cartels.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/operatio … z1Y3kAMqB4

Edit: Nobody was shot due to the Watergate controversy?

1. profile image0

True, RB. True. I would love to see Holder loose his job by resignation or firing. I don't think either will happen.

What do you think about the Solyndra situation? Could this go as high as Obama? Could it be his Watergate?

1. Reality Bytes profile image72
        Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think at the very least it will be one of the turning points in the campaign.

The independent voters will see this as the ultimate failure.  I do know that many government officials were asking for more research before backing this company.  If it was Obama that pushed for this disposal of the people's wealth then he will be on the hot seat.

I do not think that this Congress will make much of it as many of them were also affiliated in the entire boondangle.  I have no faith that our Federal Government is willing or able to perform its functions in a way that is beneficial to the people.

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed! smile

1. profile image0

I agree as well.

True about nobody dying in Watergate, but G. Gordan Liddy has said more than once, he would have killed if needed.

Nevertheless, youa'll may have something with F and F.  I went and read the Wikepedia on it; you are probably right Holder is in deep Kimshe and might do America a favor and resign, but, only after firing a few people underneath him.  He may or may not have signed off on this, but even if he didn't, it is too big a deal for him not to bite the big one.

3. TMMason profile image59
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

That entire stimulus was nothing but a big worthless scam.

1. Reality Bytes profile image72
      Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OBAMA:  "There are 153 structurally deficient bridges that need to be repaired.  Four of them are near here on or around the Beltline.  Why would we wait to act until another bridge falls?"

Should these bridges not be closed immediately?  What is the Secretary of Transportation thinking?  Would it not fall under this jurisdiction to keep the people safe?

One more question, why were these bridges not repaired with the first stimulus?  Instead of throwing it at bankrupt companies.

1. GNelson profile image60

You have that right!  At least we could see where our tax money was spent.

2. profile image0

I heard an engineer call in to Hannity yesterday and state that "structurally deficient" more often than not had nothing to do with or not the bridge was structurally sound.

Most often it meant that a bridge that's two lane, one each direction isn't sufficient for the traffic numbers and should be expanded to four lanes, two in each direction.

He also added that the construction of a new bridge was usually delayed due to some environmental weinie group protesting its construction.

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey TMM,

Remember government doesn't create jobs. It has to pay companies to hire people and if those who are paid don't actually hire people, then the people are shit out of luck and the government is only made to look bad.

Government doesn't actually go after companies for not hiring when they give money to them to stimulate jobs growth. wink

Yep, you are right TT, the Stimulus was a big worthless scam, you are right in line with Rick Perry's BIG LIE about it creating ZERO jobs.  Small problem, the CBO and a few other recent unbiased, independent studies disagree with you and Gov Rick Perry. 

As it turns out, Obama's Stimulus did almost exactly what he SAID it would, save or create about 4 MILLION American jobs.

Was it enough, no.  Why?  Because when his team formulated the plan, the country and Conservatives, where beating him up for not doing anything after having been President for, what, one month; so he used the data available; 3rd Qtr 2008 economic data.  Unfortunately, that only told 10% of the story (which is where that 8% unemployment number you just love to crow about came from).  The Stimulus plan was nearly complete by the time the 4th Qtr numbers were available which revealed another 70%, and finally brought to light the disaster that Bush and the Conservative deregulation and economic policy has visited upon America.  It was to late to react and he had to go with what he had; which I suspect Obama's team suspected wasn't going to be enough, but, also knew the Conservatives would never let them do anymore.

It is always better to say right out what you think without trying to prove anything much: for all our proofs are only variations of our opinions, and the contrary-minded listen neither to one nor the other.
            Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

Albert Einstein observed: "Insofar as mathematics is exact, it does not apply to reality; and insofar as mathematics applies to reality, it is not exact."

2. lady_love158 profile image61

LOL! What is a "saved" job???

A "saved" job would be all of those teachers, for example, who were kept on the payroll as a result of the stimulus dollars that would have otherwise been terminated; that is factual, I know of several in my Florida school district whose pink slips were withdrawn. 

There are many other Documented examples throughout state governments with police and fire departments where jobs were being eliminated that, because of Obama's hated stimulus, weren't; those were "saved" jobs as well.

When unemployment benefits were extended because of Obama's stimulus, all of those stimulus dollars immediately flowed into the hands vendors, for purchases, not creditors to pay of debts, because that is what the unemployed had to do to survive.  All of those dollars kept employees employed who otherwise might have been laid off because of lack of demand; those were "saved" jobs.

Got the idea now?

"For example, many school districts receiving "stimulus'' money to prevent teacher layoffs revealed they wouldn't have let educators go even if they hadn't received the funds."
            http://www.tribune-chronicle.com/page/c … l?nav=5007

Funding permanent, local and state jobs with temporary federal funding sounds like a reverse "cash for clunkers" kind of program.  It doesn't save anything.  It delays the inevitable lay offs if budgetary problems for each school district are not resolved.

One reason for the flap in Wisconsin was the ending of federal, temporary stimulus finding coupled with the failure to address a state wide budgetary shortfall threatening all state employees, including teachers.  Seems to me the teachers of Wisconsin owe a big thank you to their governor for preserving their permanent jobs.

A "saved job" is one whose termination is delayed long enough to claim the "save" for the benefit of the crowds and polls.

I read your reference.  First, I saw that it was an editorial, not news of any sort.  Second, it started off with,
              "It took President Barack Obama just hours last week to get back to his old trick of making grandiose promises to sell Americans on an expensive scheme", that sort of gave me a good clue as to what was going to be coming next from what is an obviously very biased person.

Then we have the facts - "For example, many school districts receiving "stimulus'' money to prevent teacher layoffs revealed they wouldn't have let educators go even if they hadn't received the funds."  Bing, bang, boom; that was it.  No source, no names, no places, no ... nothing really.

Sorry.

The stimulus money was exactly that stimulus money.  It was intended to give states breathing room to get their act together, to let the ecoonomy recover and start generating new tax revenues to replace the stimulus that everyone knew would go away; it was no suprise to anyone, except maybe Conservatives who are trying to drive President Obama out of office.

But, as you said, it was a delaying tactic, because it  was  "intended"  to  be  a  delaying  tactic.

On Thursday night, Obama urged Congress to approve a "jobs program.'' The next day, U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack flew to Columbus to tell Ohioans the plan would create or save 40,000 jobs in their state.

Ho-hum. What else is new? And why should Buckeye State residents believe Vilsack and Obama?

They should not. It may be remembered that before Congress approved Obama's first "stimulus'' program, the White House disseminated detailed information on precisely what it would mean to each of the 50 states. That, combined with Obama's assurances unemployment would plummet if the $787 billion measure was passed, produced enough pressure to bow Congress to the president's will.

But it turned out the public relations campaign was expensive hot air not backed by reality.

For example, many school districts receiving "stimulus'' money to prevent teacher layoffs revealed they wouldn't have let educators go even if they hadn't received the funds.

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I don't like that this company was only required to pay 1/4 the interest that other companies did. I also don't like that Kaiser was one of Obama's bundlers. And why wasn't the company made to repay taxpayers FIRST?? I think we were like third in line. Before someone says that all politicians do stuff like this - why do we put up with it?

I think "we" put up with it when we like the politician, and are only outraged when we don't!

And I have 8 years of proof.

All those years of corruption and misuse from 2000-2008, all of it was ignored back then, and now people say Bush is gone, get over it.

That's how we let it happen. It's politics, not principles.

2. GNelson profile image60

They all spend money like it wasn't theirs.  Oh, it isn't theirs is it?

5. profile image0
    Ghaelachposted 12 years ago

Hi Lovemychris.
    I think all heads of state such as Obama, Merkle, or whoever they are are just puppets of a whole bunch of wealthy corperations and people. The USA has the CIA, the UK has MI6, Germany has the BND. These have more power than anyone realises. What they say goes and there's nothing we as the ordinary person can do about it. When a covernment changes someone else steps into their place, but these other sevices stay and always have control.
    I read a hub yesterday about Obama which i thik you would enjoy. The hub was written by :--  "Moonchild60" and called "My husband rants about Obama". Guarantee you'll be laughing a long time.
    LOL Ghaelach

6. lady_love158 profile image61
    lady_love158posted 12 years ago

Solyndra is the tip of the iceberg! As we speak the WH is pushing stimulus money out the door to meet a September deadline for spending, and they're not being too careful about it!

Hey, be thankful, they are not starting any wars.

I guess you haven't heard about Libya?

No comparison!!

7. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

"Halliburton is also one of five large US corporations invited to bid for contracts in what may turn out to be the biggest reconstruction project since the Second World War. The others are the Bechtel Group, Fluor Corp, Parsons Corp, and the Louis Berger Group."

"Erik Prince was "allegedly" providing little girls to our military for a little yum yum......That is why HE escaped to the United Arab Emerites, where he is free from prosecution of his crimes.."

Are you saying our military was forcing sex from "lil girls"... whatever.

I think you have our military confused with the United Nations forces deployed in Africa and around the world.

Erik Prince was NOT our military. He was Blackwater, now Xe. Mercenaries, really. Killing for hire.
        And yes, that is what I am alleging. Not to mention rape, murder and drug-dealing.
        And they were paid WAY over the amount of our military...Stealing tax dollars, you might say, just like Halliburton.

And geuss who heads the ethics department of Xe now? Former AG Ashcroft. Small world, huh?

Oh but forget it! It's nothing!!
        Zip! It's all erased.

Now---how about Obama and that solar deal huh....GET HIM!!!!

You said he provided "lil girls" to OUR MILITARY.

Did our guys refuse? You didn't mention that.

I am insulted you think our military operates on such a disgusting level as to higher pimps who supply lil girls for them.

Really Chris... think about it.

I, being ex Airborne, am so very insulted by the inferrence that our military would have anything do with that BS and rape and all the rest of the Leftists BS you all sling about, that I remember now why I am justified in calling the American left traitors.

It is NOT our military....it is a private company that takes money from US, the tax-payers.

And whether you are disgusted or not, it happens.
            Don't you remember Tailhook?
            Don't you know, in Vietnam they were sending bodies back with Heroine in them?
            War is hell, and I don't doubt that anything can happen in hell...Vietnam made drug addicts out of plenty.

And I know for a fact, Prince was accused of Murder by 3 of his "troops".

8. lovemychris profile image77

Now, do you want to protect Erik Prince from prosecution?
    Protect Halliburton, Blackwater and KBR?

Protect Bush and Cheney and Rumsfeld and all the rest?

Forever?

9. lovemychris profile image77

Neither one of you can handle the truth.

And that is why the misery goes on forever.

Go for it: Get Obama, while ignoring everything else.

10. lovemychris profile image77

And to think, some have the nerve to mention KBR killing soldiers with their incompetence when you have this!

OMG.....GET OBAMA!!! Let KBR off the hook!

1. profile image0

I'll be honest with you, LMC. I would like nothing more that to see Obama in handcuffs being led out of the White House, doing a perp walk for all the world to see.

Would it be bad for the country? Oh, yeah! We'd probably have riots in the streets over it, given the mentality of Liberals, but it would give me, Longhunter, a great personal satisfaction to be able to see that.

I would, however, settle for a simple resignation WHEN the evidence supports his leaving. I don't want to "GET OBAMA" as you put it. At the rate he's going, he's going to "GET" himself.

I'd much rather see Obama shed his foolish liberal ideology, recognize that what he's done so far isn't working, and forget about campaigning for 4 more years and instead actually propose bold and sweeping reforms that cut taxes and spending including withdrawing his signature health care and banking reforms, and see the economy explode and unemployment sink as this great economic engine fires up. I'd like to see foreclosures decline and home values rise, payrolls increase and personal savings and income make new highs. I'd live to see Obama honored as a genius, America's saviour, a hero that turned this country around and rescued us from destruction.

I'd love to see that, but it ain't gonna happen. It's not in his DNA unfortunately. Obama will go down in history as the most divisive, worst president of all time.

1. profile image0
          Nick Lucasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

even FDR said when as a president you are wrong just admit it and move on....but Obama cant do this...he just repeats failed efforts like the stimulus.....

1. profile image0

That's what happens when you have the most narcissistic man on the planet as the president. It's always someone else's fault. Just ask LMC.

11. lovemychris profile image77

What planet do you people live on? He's done a great job given the fact that he's hampered by a bunch of ugly cry-babies!

Boehner said the gvt is like an addict on cocaine....well, then, why don't you get off the pipe Koch-Sucka!

Handing out bribes ON THE FLOOR! ahahaha. How much welfare did tobaccy get?
    I know waccy-tobaccy doesn't get any!

Which these cry-babies should try....expand those closed little minds. Open up that tight hold that greed has on them.

"You need money man? You hungry? Here's a hundred...go eat!"  ahhhh, the world would be so much better with weed smokers than ALCOHOLICS.

(5 martini lunch Boehner?)"NO YOU CAN'T!!" ahahaha

1. profile image0

From your post, it appears you may have been partaking in the festivities yourself.

Isn't there a rule against drinking and hubbing?

"NO YOU CAN'T!!"

waaaaaaaaaaa. Burp.

1. profile image0

I hope you're feeling better now that you've had a chance to sleep it off and that' there's no lingering effects.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)