jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Rut-roh. I agree with Newt!

1. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 5 years ago

I've never been a fan of Gingrich, but last night in the GOP debate, he looked like the moderate on immigration. He thinks illegals who have been in the US for 25 years, have kids and grandkids here, have never committed crimes (other than sneaking into the country illegally), and have been contributing members to their communities should be granted amnesty. I agree! They won't be citizens - they'll be legal aliens.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image74
      Ralph Deedsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm not a Gingrich fan either, and I was surprised by his position on immigration. It was similar to the proposal by Bush and Ted Kennedy which made sense to me. Deporting 12 or 13 million people isn't practical or humane.

1. habee profile image90
        habeeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ralph, it makes perfect sense to me, too. And something else that impressed me was that Newt didn't walk back his statement when confronted by the other candidates - something that's getting harder and harder to find in politics. Of course, the far right is having a field day with this. Ugh.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday, Ralph!

2. livelonger profile image89
    livelongerposted 5 years ago

I agree that Newt's position on immigration is closest to my own among the GOP candidates.

...not that I would ever conceivably vote for him, mind you. smile

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Newt is one of my "move to Canada" candidates.

1. livelonger profile image89
        livelongerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

lol Canada might not be far away enough if he won! Fortunately, he doesn't really have a chance.

3. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 5 years ago

I'm not fond of him either, but I support that stand.

4. Ralph Deeds profile image74
    Ralph Deedsposted 5 years ago

Gingrich has serious character issues. I wouldn't trust him out of sight. He makes Richard Nixon look like a saint.

5. TheMagician profile image94
    TheMagicianposted 5 years ago

I REALLY don't trust the man (like most here haha) but I def. agree with the stance!

6. Pcunix profile image88
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

Ayup.  I don't think there's anything else I like about him, but he was at least being sensible here.  Maybe there's hope for him yet.

7. mikelong profile image75
    mikelongposted 5 years ago

Both Perry and Gingrich surprised me concerning their views on undocumented immigration.

They are headed in the right direction, but we have to go further...and it starts with how we use our foreign policy and corporate reach....

working