RIP Freedom, you were loved!

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

I don't know how the heck something like this could even make it into the imaginations of politicians let alone into a bill that could be passed today. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blo … _blog.html

Pack your bags, gitmo is waiting with an empty room just for you. And it takes a comedian to be the one to speak out against it?!?! Like my title says, rest in peace freedom, you were loved and will be missed.... sad

Saudi Arabia is looking nice this time of year roll

Ok, rant over.....

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the link. We've been discussing this on another thread. I find it very disturbing that 93 senators voted for this and that Obama wanted to remove the section that protects American citizens. If he doesn't veto this, I hope he loses 2012 in a landslide - provided that whoever wins is against S1867. I wish the issue would come up in a GOP debate.

kirstenblogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Which thread? I had a look before I posted this one but didn't see anything that seemed to be about this, tho I could have missed it smile

I think I have found it now, must have fallen off the radar when I went looking before smile

2. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are urged to sign this petition to President Obama now: https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/% … hank-you=p
      2,752 signatures so far / 22,248 to go!

Great link! I hope others will sign it as well! Now to remember my last zip code before I moved abroad so I can create an account to sign with cool

2. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

I'm with ya girl, let's hit the pedal

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5869729_f248.jpg

:0

hope your day gets better!  smile

3. bbnix profile image61
    bbnixposted 12 years ago

This is where change begins, in public forums, and today's is as powerful as ever. Keep up the great work. Writers are always at the leading edge of change.....bravo....

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5869812_f248.jpg

4. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 12 years ago

Amazing a bill proposed by a democrate and republican. (mccain)

5. PaulaHenry1 profile image66
    PaulaHenry1posted 12 years ago

I cannot believe this is even an option and that the Government is agreeing to halt all that America is...IF and it's a questionable if, Obama is wise, he will veto.

6. GoGreenTips profile image60
    GoGreenTipsposted 12 years ago

I looked up the bill and read the language on it, and I encourage everyone that is concerned about it to read it exactly as is rather than to rely on interpretations. Library of congress will have the bill in its entirety. The bill is confusing frankly I can see how the opposing ideologies can see what they want to see in the bill. The most fearful part of the bill is the language that states until hostilities cease, which could until someone passes a new bill would keep this country in a perpetual state of war, and since war was never declared which congress should do anyway is crazy.

We unfortunately over legislate everything liberals and conservatives. I see what the proponents of the bill are saying, I mean if a citizen of the US helps the enemy he/she should be subject to military courts, but as I stated in the previous paragraph war hasn't been declared so why do we need this legislation...sounds fishy to me or a total waste of time...

7. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

First they did it with Aliens & now the Citizens of USA

What happened to the 800 year legal principle called Habeus Corpus?

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Looks like it's suffering a tragic death.

A sad and scary state of affairs sad

2. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's beginning to look as if the Habeus is now a corpus!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)