King calls Mitt "Governor Mormon"

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (26 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

CNN's John King referred to Romney as "Governor Mormon." Wonder if he ever called Ellison "Congressman Muslim"? Or Reid "Senator Mormon"? I've always liked John King, and I hope it was a mistake, but some folks think it was done on purpose. Either way, I hope he apologizes. Can you imagine the shouting if a TV reporter called Ellison "Congressman Muslim"????

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/ … ormon.html

If Mitt gets the GOP nod, betcha cable news shows will all be suddenly interested in Mormonism and have lots of investigative reports on the subject.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image62
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He was that nice?

If it were me, that thing would have been called "Hypocritical, empty, shallow, polished thing with no soul worth speaking of".

It got off the hook, if you ask me.

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Aw, c'mom', Evan - tell us how you REALLY feel about Mitt! lol

I feel the same way about Obama, Newt, and Santorum (if it's any consolation).

Heck, probably half of Congress falls in that category.

I used to think the talking heads of tyranny were boring. I now find them repulsive.

2. lovemychris profile image78
        lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think he got off easy too.

All we've heard for 3 and 1/2 years now is Muslim Kenyan. Muslim terrorist. Radical Christian, but now back to Muslim. Not born here, blah blah blah. And Mittens takes the support of the Supreme Birther...and he's being put upon? Please....

We all know about Obama's father being a Muslim born in Kenya..and that side doesn't hesitate to smear him with it. Along with a national television program which much of the country takes as verbatim truth, saying Obama is anti-American and wants to destroy America.

Mitt's father was born in Mexico, to a Mormon father who had 5 wives. This is fair game.
        After all, it was the R's who brought on the politics of personal destruction...they should be subject to it as well, IMO.

I don't think it's fair to say that the Republicans started character assassinations to win elections.

2. habee profile image93

George Romney did NOT have 5 wives, LMC. And trying to paint all Mormons with the polygamy brush is the same as saying all Catholics skin people alive like they did in the Inquisitions. Mitt's grandparents were also monogamous. You have to go all the way back to his great-grandparents to find polygamists. Please tell the truth in your attacks on conservatives. If polygamy bothers you so much, what about Obama's father and grandfather? Both were polygamists. Again, it's okay with you that Obama's father was a polygamist, but not that Romney's great-grandfather was:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/2 … 55431.html

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/6601 … ?s_cid=s10

Oh, and I get it: It's okay for liberals to be Mormons (Harry Reid), but it's bad for Republicans to be Mormons.

1. livelonger profile image84
            livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I will never understand people at the political fringes who feel the need to fabricate things to "strengthen their case."

It's times like these that I'm reminded I'm closer to the center than I usually think.

Romney's religion is immaterial, frankly, except to those who think religion matters in elected officials (I'm not one of them). I personally think Mitt's record is damning enough...

1. habee profile image93

I agree. I don't think Mitt's religion is a factor, either. Nor do I think Obama's religion is important. I don't believe that BO is a Muslim, but I wouldn't care if he was - as long as he wasn't a violent extremist. I wouldn't want a violent extremist ANYTHING as POTUS - Christian, Jew, atheist, etc. I like calm, rational people as leaders, which is one reason I really don't like Gingrich.

Yes, by all means, we should attack or approve politicians based on their records - not on their religion or on the religious practices of their forefathers.

I agree with you. I'd take a moderate of any religion, over an extremist in my own religion (Judaism). The whole BO being a Muslim thing is so tiresome, but something apparently only the extremist half of the Republican party believes anymore.

Where I disagree with you is that Gingrich is some sort of extremist (maybe I read that wrong). I think he's actually a cynical opportunist, whose only true care is himself, and who will change his position on just about anything for political gain. Which brings me to yet another one of Romney's flaws, as well...

1. habee profile image93

No, I said I don't see the Grinch as calm and rational. I see him as mean, petty, erratic, and vindictive.

I agree with you there!

When the R's start doing it...let me know.

No, it's Ok for Republicans to attack everything about Obama, but it's not allowed when the shoe's on the other foot!

Always how it is. Always.

3. Xenonlit profile image60
          Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah! The chickens eventually have to roost.

2. profile image58
      bubs-hubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As a non-mormon who's lived in Utah for 40 years Romneys considered much more than "Governor Mormon". Most here believe in a Joseph Smith prophesy that "the Constitution is hanging by a thread" and a mormon (Mitt?)
      will become President and save us from our demise. To many in Utah Romney is considered a messiah!

2. cluense profile image72
    cluenseposted 12 years ago

I totally agree with your statement of, "If Mitt gets the GOP nod, betcha cable news shows will all be suddenly interested in Mormonism and have lots of investigative reports on the subject."

That is why my grandmother always said,"Never discuss religion and politics, because no one will ever win" Why can't they just discuss how they are going to get us out of this financial mess that we are in! I would vote for a Martin if he/she would keep to the issues and prove to me they could turn our awesome AMERICA around!

Awesome thread habee!
    Cluense

1. Shanna11 profile image74
      Shanna11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

As a Mormon I can totally capitalize on writing helpful Mormon articles to feed to news outlets. It's a win for me!

3. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 12 years ago

I watched the live newscast and didn't catch it. After watching the video, he speaks so fluid that it appears to be a mistake. Had someone not taken the time to catch it, I doubt the average listener heard it.

1. habee profile image93

I saw the live version, too, and I thought I heard "Gov. Mormom," but then I thought that surely I was mistaken. I am hard of hearing, so sometimes I hear funny things. I had actually kinda forgotten about it until I saw this clip.

4. Charles James profile image68
    Charles Jamesposted 12 years ago

In fairness to the Republicans, character assassination in politics was running strong in Ancient Greece.
    It is often easier than arguing the merits!

5. maxoxam41 profile image63
    maxoxam41posted 12 years ago

What do we care! Don't you think that there are more important topics at the moment!

1. habee profile image93

If you don't care, why bother to post on this thread? That's a great thing about the HP forums - you have the choice to visit only the threads that interest you.

6. lovemychris profile image78
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

Hopefully, you'll be as concerned about the truth as Romney keeps telling lies!

It's not necessary to fabricate lies if you're really concerned about politicians' lies. The truth is damning enough.

7. lovemychris profile image78
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

I was repeating what I heard. Did not bother to look it up...and I'm not a candidate for the office of president.

His lies can damage the whole nation.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)