The Law

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (154 posts)
  1. innersmiff profile image65
    innersmiffposted 12 years ago

On what basis should laws be made?

If laws are based in morality, is it immoral to break the law?

If laws are based in morality, all bound by a universal 'should', should not the enforcers of the law be subject to the same standards as others?

If they should, and one believes that killing another human being is wrong, does the death penalty have moral justification?

If they should, and one believes that stealing another humans property is wrong, do taxes have moral justification?

If they should, and one believes that the enslavement of another human being is wrong, does the military draft have moral justification?

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The only consistent basis for laws is the following:

You have a right to do with your property as you see fit, so long as it does not interfere with someone else's right to do the same.

1. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What makes it your property, Evan?

innersmiffposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A product of one's labour.

No.  Law makes it your property.

Absolutely incorrect. Government is - AT BEST - the protector of god-given (whatever deity you worship, or, for atheists, a right granted from birth) property rights.

I am going to THOROUGHLY hound you on this point -- it might end up being troll-tastic the way I demand this point -- until you cede this point.

-----------

By your logic, no caveman could ever own anything because they didn't have governments.

By your logic, a somali person could never own anything.

By your logic, Tom Hanks couldn't have owned the fish he caught, nor did he own the fish.

Property is not dished out by government. Your argument is easily proved incorrect by simply saying "what about situations where there are no government? Do people still own things?"

The answer is clearly "yes".
              ---------------

There was a commercial where some astronauts were chilling on the moon, and while they were out finding moon-rocks (or something) some aliens stole their rover's hubcaps.

Everyone watching the commercial knew that theft had occurred, yet there is no government on the moon, there are not inter-specie / inter-planetary governments in the world.
              ----------------

Property is a gift of life, and governments are - AT BEST - the stewards of god-given property rights.

Take a dead gazelle from a lion pack and see what their views on property are. Their law-enforcement agencies are a bit more Draconian (Leonian?) than humans' are.
              ----

You can't win this argument, Pcunix, because if we both washed ashore of a deserted island with our current property, you would still be pissed off if I took your car.

You know - maybe not with your brain, but with your heart - that property is a god given right.

So, so wrong.

And that's why your reasoning is so screwy everywhere else.  You misunderstand this, you misunderstand everything.

Ownership is a legal construct.  Period.  Law determines ownership and is quite complex - it's not the simplistic Libertarian view.

Utter nonsense. You're confusing the enforcement of a right with the right itself. Perhaps this is why you are still a liberal.

If everyone in DC died, then I could steal your car?

Good to know.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60

If your argument is true, then slavery is a valid practice so long as the law agrees.

If my argument is true, then it is inherently evil.

Which is it, Pcunix?

You have already told me that you would kill me if I were to secede from your government, will you now tell me that slavery is OK if the government allows it?

Obviously it's OK.  That doesn't mean that I'd condone it.  This country has many laws and practices even today that I don't agree with.

Morality and law are too different things.  Again, your simplistic view betrays you.

Homesteading.

If I come across a plot of land, and begin to use it, then I own it.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Therein lies the problem. Morality is interpreted differently by different people. There is no agreed universal definition.  I can see the double standards in the examples you've used and therefore, understand why you have used them. However, I think that by using the term morality we are on treading on dangerous ground.

So, do you accept that if you agree with taxes, you are in favour of stealing?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60

No, because I will have voted, along with many others, for a government that I know would impose taxes. To steal is take without the owners consent. I imagine that you may come back with the argument defending those who did not vote in favour of taxation. And I agree that is a problem, but I believe that argument is pertinent  to why we should have a more representative electoral system.

So would you be in favour of some people giving up their vote, and all of their public services, so that they could be without taxes?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60

I have no idea how you've managed to come up with that scenario based on my response, so I'll explain further.  I believe the electoral system is inherently flawed and serves the interests of a few (the largest minority) The point I was making is that even if a majority of people voted against taxation, it would make no difference as the system is geared to serve the interests of a minority.

I have no issue with that, I agree. Apologies for being vague.

I'm saying that, in your ideal system where everything is representational, would you have a problem with a minority giving up their services in order to avoid taxes? Would you have a problem with others opting out?

1. profile image0
                  PrettyPantherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can opt out any time you like.  You can live off the grid, and you can work for cash only.  Your choice.  Go for it.

Edited to add:  You could work for cash and goods only.  I recently read about a woman who has lived without money for over 15 years.

Libertarians crack me up.  They say they don't like taxes, but they are unwilling to give up the comforts provided by those taxes.  You have free will.  You and Evan can live your philosophical ideals any time you want.  You just don't really want to, do you?

Some of them try this stupidity, too:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_citizen_movement

2. innersmiff profile image65

I'd really like to, but unfortunately I get put in prison if I don't pay my taxes, so your system sounds cool to me!

3. Reality Bytes profile image76
                    Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Freeman on the Land.  I have been living this lifestyle quite happily for the past five years.  I do not even need the cash at all. I will work for nothing.  All I ask is that if I need something, the person I have worked for to provide it.

4. Evan G Rogers profile image60

Actually, no we can't: Pcunix said he'd kill me if I left the union.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60

No, I wouldn't have a problem with that, providing that completely accepted that they could not take advantage of any public services, or any services that would subsidised by the government. That would be fine by me and a much more equitable system.

You really don't need to apologise for being vague. I often read my own posts back to myself and realise I have not expressed myself properly. I guess that's what happens when we feel passionate about something.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Ideally they should be made to produce the greatest cohesiveness for the all. However in corrupt society they are made for the benefit of the few as being more deserving.

On what do you base cohesiveness?

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Friction free. Most law is unwritten convention. I walk to the right. Most people walk to the left of me.
    But there is always those few who insist on walking or running on my side creating friction. With driving it is mandated law for obvious reasons.

4. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

Here is Bastiat's "The Law"

http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

5. innersmiff profile image65

A great book.

6. Charles James profile image67
    Charles Jamesposted 12 years ago

There is a whole field of legal study called "Jurisprudence" which discusses what  the state can properly legislate for.

Did you know that in response to the Tibet problem the Chinese have passed a law that it is forbidden to reincarnate without a licence? Presumably one applies for a licence during the current lifetime. But what happens if one finds one has reincarnated without a licence? Does one apply for a licence retrospectively, and what happens if it is refused? What is the penalty? And if one believes in reincarnation how frightening is the death sentence?

1. Davesworld profile image61
      Davesworldposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you reincarnate without a license then your life is forfeit to the state and you will be killed.  Then you will reincarnate again, and as before, without a licences, your life is forfeit to the state and you will be killed.  Then you will reincarnate again ...  It's obvious when you think about it.

7. Reality Bytes profile image76
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Common Law:

Do no harm to others.

Do no harm to others property.

Do not commit fraud in a contract.

The problem with the Law is when those that make the laws do not follow their own creations. IMO this nullifies the law itself.  For if it is not being enforced at the highest levels then what is the point.

Insider trading for example....

Well, if you're Pcunix, it's an easy problem to solve:

Just declare a new law that allows you to rape people... then it's OK.

... Wow.

8. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

I'm done responding to Evan.  I think it should be rather obvious why.

Because your arguments are clearly atrocious?

9. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 12 years ago

The intentionally dense strike again.  roll

Tell me about it..

I'm in no mood for this level of ridiculous incomprehension today.

Who's being dense here?

I asked Pcunix, "If your argument is true, then slavery is a valid practice so long as the law agrees."

He responded: "Obviously it's OK."

I don't see how I'm being dense by applying his statements to real life situations.

Then, to go EVEN FURTHER: Pcunix openly rails against Romney for "hating poor people", when Romney clearly said "I'm concerned about Americans. I'm not concerned about 'the poor'; there's a safety net there. If it needs repair I'll fix it"

I must admit, that the dense heads are not on my end of the discussion.

10. innersmiff profile image65

@Pcunix

You said it would be OK, which for me, registers in the positive range in the spectrum.

All you're doing is laying down the party line and implying that the traditional view on this is correct because it is self-evident, when we are trying to challenge that same traditional view. So is the answer to actually tackle the points raised, including the original questions, or refuse to talk to us? If we are wrong, you need to explain why we are otherwise your actions are admission of defeat.

Thanks for helping the fight against tyranny.

I've learned a lot about my fellow hubbers these past few weeks.

Ralph Deeds openly declared that might makes right when he said that "the civil war settled the argument of secession"

Pcunix said he WOULD kill me for trying to secede. And then said that slavery would be OK if it were still legal.

I've learned a lot.

I think it's called 'cognitive dissonace'!

It's not worth getting banned for the pleasure it would give me to accurately describe what I think of both of you, but believe me, I am sorely tempted.

What's with the hate brother?

Hate?

No.  Bewilderment, astonishment, outbursts of "WTF!" and the sensation that I must be in some alternate reality where people can say anything at all no matter how senseless it is.. 

Are you working on your trust fund filings yet?

Hey, we're just trying to be morally consistent here. Is there a flaw in our logic?

Logic???

Oh, we do so need better icons!

You are pulling our legs, right?

The feeling's mutual, buddy.

Please don't kill me for fighting against Federal Tyranny. You already said you would.

Evan, why do you continue to lie?  Is this a common trait of Libertarians?

What lie? I can dig up your quote easily...

Here, give me 3 minutes....

Quote #1:
                "And you seriously think we'd just let them secede. ...Evan, that Reality phone is still ringing.."

Quote #2:
                I asked Pcunix: "Pcunix: Show me your will to actually kill someone who does not want to be a member to this Constitution, and I'll take your argument seriously."

Then he responded: "As to taking up arms, I'm a bit too old, but if the United States had to engage the army to put down insurrection in Ohio or anywhere else, yes, I woud support that action."

1. profile image0

I still would like to see a link, for the context.

"Opting out" as an individual, which is what we were talking about in this thread, is not the same as organizing an insurrection, though, is it?

Go check out the quote  in the "nullification states rights" forum. It's 3 clicks away

That's exactly what he said.

Deal with it.

I'm not "dense", I'm "quoting him".

11. Pcunix profile image91

Evan should work for Fox News.  He's even better than they are at lying by pulling things out of context.

12. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 12 years ago

Here is how I interpret PC's position; he can correct me if I'm wrong.

We have laws. Laws may or may not be moral. Some laws are viewed as moral by some and as immoral by others. Right now, in some states in the US, it is "okay" to kill a man or woman.  Why?  Because the law says it is appropriate punishment for certain crimes.  Does that make it moral?  Not necessarily, but it is still "okay."

Get it?

No, he won't get it.

That's a guarantee.

2. innersmiff profile image65

We're not debating whether it is legal or not, of course it is legal, is it moral? Is it moral for the government to deign to offer us property? Is the death penalty moral?

1. profile image0

Didn't I answer that?

"Laws may or may not be moral. Some laws are viewed as moral by some and as immoral by others."

Specifically, is the death penalty moral, if killing people is immoral?

Are taxes moral, if stealing is immoral?

Is the military draft moral, if slavery is immoral?

1. profile image0

Just the nature of these questions reveals the simplicity of your thinking.

"Specifically, is the death penalty moral, if killing people is immoral?"  Killing can be moral, depending upon the circumstances.  If I kill you in self-defense, that is moral, TO ME.  There are people who believe killing, even in self-defense is immoral, so I imagine they would believe the death penalty is immoral.

"Are taxes moral, if stealing is immoral?"  I do not believe taxes are stealing.  We, as a society, have agreed that we will collect taxes to provide for certain services.  Evan believes taxes are theft, so I imagine he believes taxes to be immoral.

Okay, so we are clear, you believe killing to be moral? I believe that in certain circumstances one HAS to kill. It still doesn't make it moral.

Is the death penalty moral or immoral, and on what basis, if killing is moral?

And as far as taxes are concerned,  would you mind me opting out of the services so I don't pay the taxes?

Yes, please do.  Go join the sovereign citizens movement.  You'd be a perfect fit.

2. profile image0

Didn't I answer your question about opting out?

"You can opt out any time you like.  You can live off the grid, and you can work for cash only.  Your choice.  Go for it."

Why haven't you done it?

As for the rest, I'm not sure why you care what I personally think is moral or immoral but here goes.  Killing can be moral under certain circumstances, such as assisted suicide.  I am opposed to the death penalty because there is another option, life without parole, that solves the problem equally as well and allows for a reversal of sentence.  The morality of it doesn't interest me, but I do care about whether it makes sense.  I don't think it does.

I answered above: "I'd really like to, but unfortunately I get put in prison if I don't pay my taxes, so your system sounds cool to me!"

'Killing can be moral' Okay, got you. I'm asking just so we are on the same page. You wouldn't be opposed to killing if it 'made sense'. That sounds vaugley dangerous to me yikes

1. profile image0

LOL, really?  It makes sense for us to have a military, doesn't it?  I'm still morally opposed to wars, but I understand the necessity to engage in them once in awhile.

I never agreed to the income tax.

... so... yeah, they're theft.

13. innersmiff profile image65

@PrettyPanther
    So man has no right to complain about his exploitation as long as he is benefitting from his bad wage? He can find a way to get a better job, right? And to ascribe 'benefitting' to this system is taking a rather large step.

@Pcunix
    Do your morals not apply to everyone and at all times? If not, they're not really morals, but fair enough.

Oh, so my morals don't count?  Only yours?   

So typical of the Right.

It's just my opinion that if you have one set of morals for some people and another set for another group of people, they are not very good ones. It kind of reflects the point of this thread - if we are not allowed to steal, why is the state allowed? If we are not allowed to kill, why is the state allowed? etc.

And the sooner you get out of this 'right/left' rubbish the better you'll be.

2. profile image0

Of course you have a right to complain.  Keep on complaining.  You also have a right to opt out, but you don't because you think it's too hard. 

If you don't think you're benefiting from the services and infrastructure provided by taxes, then it should make your decision to opt out quite easy.

14. profile image56
    Luvmyposted 12 years ago

Morality is relative to upbringing, context, culture, religion, etc. It is NOT set in stone, as they say... ironic, considering the Ten Commandments, right? My personal morality does NOT apply to everyone ALL the time. I cannot in good faith, apply my beliefs and judgements on others, who have the same right to their own beliefs. However, laws are (in theory) made to protect people from themselves and others. They're meant to discourage bad behavior, anarchy, and chaos. Lawmakers are subject to the same laws they write into being. The exceptions that you are mentioning are just that - and you are over-simplifying. Taxes are not based on morality, but on economics. The draft and death penalty are supposed to be extreme measures taken in times of extreme need. We have only used the military draft 3 times in over 200 years. And if you compare the statistics of the death penalty with incarceration... it's a small percentage. There are many factors and subtleties involved that broaden this particular argument's scope far beyond a black and white answer. Laws are based on morals and politics... both are subject to change, therefore so are the laws. Also, an individuals morals can change, depending on their circumstances. A person can live their life believing that stealing is wrong-immoral, but that same person, having lost their job, home, and income, can decide that stealing food from a grocery store is okay because they need to feed their children. Hunger and need trumps morality. Or... is it still even immoral in that case? ( I personally don't agree with the death penalty or the draft. I also don't agree with all laws, or all of the 'majority morality')

They are not very good morals if they only apply to yourself. Do you willingly associate and support people who you find morally repugnant? Do you not draw a line, and on what scientific basis do you draw that line? Would a law legalising infanticide be just because 'they have the right to their own beliefs'?

Sometimes people have to steal to feed themselves - sometimes you have to be immoral for survival. However, I'd much rather trust that person who admits that is wrong but does it anyway than someone who says that morality isn't an issue.

The big question is: do you have morals at all? You must have some idea about the laws that are put in place at the moment and they must come from something. If you believe in taxes you do believe that it is RIGHT and MORAL to steal from others to pay others.

"I personally don't agree with the death penalty or the draft. I also don't agree with all laws, or all of the 'majority morality'"
      ^ This is what I'm getting at. I want more of this, more personal morals, than generalised "well, some people have different ideas about what morality is". Well OBVIOUSLY. I want to find out on what justification they support things like taxes IF they believe stealing is immoral.

1. John Holden profile image61
        John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you don't want to pay taxes just cease to use anything that taxes pay for.
        Don't get the bus to college because although they are privatised they are still subsidised by the tax payer, as are the roads they travel on. Don't buy any food, the transport to get it to the shops uses tax payer paid for roads and many farmers get subsides off the tax payer. Don't ever go to an NHS hospital, ever!

I'm getting bored but thing of something you can do that is not supported in some way by taxes.

Well yeah, isn't that ridiculous? Are we not being forced to participate in something we find morally repugnant? Isn't that in itself morally repugnant?

This is the point I am trying to make. I can participate in things I find immoral, but still call them out as immoral. There is the freeman on the land option. However, a completely legal camp in London that was putting this into place was ransacked and destroyed by police. It's not easy being free!

A completely legal camp!

Whilst my sympathies are with the protesters, how can you say completely legal?
            Did they own the land?

Yes they did, and they weren't protesting, they were living there.

They 9owned the land and had exclusive rights to it! Wow, I never knew.

15. Pcunix profile image91

I sure hope you aren't drawing unemployment benefits, too?

1. Reality Bytes profile image76

Unemployment benefits?  What is that?

16. Pcunix profile image91

So, no, I'm not going to turn you in.  If I knew for sure who your employer is, I'd turn him in.

But I won't forget this.  Every time I see you make a Right Wing comment about Federal waste and so on, I'll have to remind you that you and your pal cheat on payroll taxes.

To no avail.

No payroll, no taxes, no cheating.

Your inability to read the law doesn't change reality.

Your friend isn't "special" because he's your friend.  He's cheating.  Period.

No, you're wrong.  lol

That would be "you're wrong".

Read the links.  I'm right.

Who is he hurting by what he is doing?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)