Have Tennessee Republicans lost their minds?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago

Aside from the "don't say gay bill," Tennessee lawmakers now believe it's a great idea to prohibit sex education classes from proving demonstrations of "gateway sexual activities."   http://living.msn.com/life-inspired/the … id=todlf11

The author, Larry West, speculates as to what exactly is meant by this vague phrase.  It can mean anything to anyone. 

Why, even though Tennessee is in the top tier of teenage pregnancy, does it continue to push such inane policies?  Are these lawmakers literally immune from empirical evidence?  What drives human beings to such stupidity?

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

The "smell" of Christian Righteousness is all over this. It "smells" of some Christian lobbyist pulling a little too much political juice, so as to institute Christian virtues into schools.

Yet, another attack as personal freedom.

1. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Apparently, educating teenagers on the actual process of sex has become somehow part of a "liberal" agenda, even though teen pregnancy is higher in states with abstinence only sex education. 

But facts don't matter in this case!

3. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 11 years ago

All the teenagers I know have had more sex than I ever will.  They don't need to be educated, they need to be restrained somehow from acquiring so many adult practices so long before they are adults.  It simply isn't healthy for them.  Not only teen pregnancy is an issue, but the stats on STD (sexually transmitted diseases, some of them incurable) in teens today in the United States is simply appalling.  Believe me, this isn't some rampant Christian thing.  It's a country-wide epidemic, a real problem.

1. profile image0

No one denies it's a problem.  But states that teach abstinence only have higher rates of all the bad teenage stuff we all hear about. 

Sex-education isn't about promoting teenage sex.  It's fine to promote abstinence until they are of a mature age; the problem is the abstinence only people are not willing to couple it with real, honest sex education. 

One side is willing teach abstinence, but are not naive enough to believe teenagers won't secretly have sex, so it is coupled with more.  The other side is still living in the 1950s.

2. Josak profile image61
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Abstinence and advocating restraint is beyond pointless, we live in a sexually liberated era and that is not going to change and teens are going to have sex no matter what we tell them, it is an evolutionary imperative so I absolutely agree with Sooner (and the statistics back that) that the best method is to teach them responsible and safe sex, the lack of knowledge in this area leads to negative consequences.

Interestingly enough, 2010 (according to the CDC) had the lowest teenage pregnancy rate in recorded US history education and safer contraception are working, now if only we could get that through certain thick conservative skulls.

http://jezebel.com/5900723/teen-pregnan … ect-terror

4. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 11 years ago

Sooner, I think the kids already know about safe sex, and have been told all the healthy stuff in Health in school, if not by the Mom and Dad at home.  The problem isn't that they don't know--it's just they don't believe the consequences until they experience them, unfortunately, and have no real idea what they're playing at.  They're kids, after all.

5. Shanna11 profile image74
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

Whatever happened to self discipline?

Before anyone jumps on me-- I'm all for a thorough sex education. It obviously has positive results. But I just don't understand why people have given up on the idea of people being capable of self restraint? Guess I'm just old fashioned that way.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's not about self restraint. It's about self respect. Which is the problem.

1. Shanna11 profile image74
        Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure I understand....are you saying the problem is that teens don't have enough self respect to practice abstinence? (Genuine question).

If that's not what you mean, I apologize. I just want to be sure I'm reading what you're saying right.

1. Cagsil profile image71
          Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In essence I am saying that it is because of a lack of self respect.

A teen who has no self respect will allow themselves to be put into positions which have consequences which the teen is unable to comprehend at the time.

A person who is taught self respect from their parents from the day they are old enough to understand what it means, is most likely going to have less pressure place upon them by other people.

However, this is yet another failing of parents in America. Many children have no respect for themselves or for others for that matter. I have written on the matter in several aspects.

Everything a person does(actions) is based on whether or not they have respect for themselves. Actions speak volumes more than a person's words. I have respect for myself, so I have respect for those who are required to get it and those who need to earn it will have to still earn it.

As for practicing abstinence? This requires "self" control of an extreme nature and shouldn't be practiced. Self control to a teenager? Is laughable. They are just coming into feelings, emotions, urges or whatever else you want to call it, and they are interested in knowing and understanding them. If there's no solid parent to talk to them and guide them, then there will be a continued problem.

Secondly, for any human being to completely suppress their feelings, emotions, urges, for any extended period of time will cause insanity.

2. Josak profile image61
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure good old fashioned restraint ever existed, I think that mostly people did not talk about teenage sex as much as we do today but the average age of loss of virginity according to pretty extensive studies has only fallen about a six months since the late 50s. Functionally though teens do stupid things, I shudder to think at some of the stuff I did as a teen.

3. profile image0

Self-discipline is something that should be espoused, no doubt. Teenagers shouldn't be ENCOURAGED to engage in sex.  It's only a question of practicality, and the actual results of the world we are currently living in.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/04 … ?mobile=nc  Teaching abstinence alone hasn't produced good results.

4. Ron Montgomery profile image59
      Ron Montgomeryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think that's illegal in Tennessee based on the fact that it causes blindness and warts.....

Oh Wait, you meant self control...

Never mind.

1. profile image0

LOL.

6. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Gateway sex? Is that like moving from first based to second base to third base to all the way?
    Or more like you sleaze your way through the gate into something wild and once over there you may find yourself stuck in a deviant sexual role and the gate will slam shut and lock and you can't cross back over to being hetero.
    Locked for life in gaydom.
    Sounds a bit like corraling cows and leading them to slaughter.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)