jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)

Why Cannot People(Business) Do What's Right Because It's Right?

1. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Hey all,

Talk about getting ripped off. I mean, I can understand a high expense, but not the bloody nose price Reebok wants to charge.

I mean seriously.

http://news.yahoo.com/tallest-man-us-ma … 27992.html

1. glockr profile image61
      glockrposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you read the story, it says it will cost Reebok $12 to $20K to build the shoes. It does NOT say they're going to charge Mr. Vovkovinskiy $12 to $20K.

In fact, it says "Then Reebok called, offering to help him again for free. Vovkovinskiy says he plans to use the money he raised online to set up a shoe fund for life."

Maybe you missed that part.

Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Probably, considering I only quickly read it. Thank you for the input though.

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't know, Cags.  The way I read the article, it didn't appear that Reebok is actually charging him...they've agreed to help him for free as far as I can see.  The $12-20,000 is simply an estimate of how much it's going to cost to make the shoes.  Having worked in manufacturing, I can imagine that the cost to make the shoes will indeed be much higher, in that the machines that they use to mass produce their product won't be sufficient to turn out a product that's suitable for him, resulting in a significant cost to the company to either purchase new machines or custom make the shoes without them.

Maybe I misread it, but that's what I saw.

smile

2. maxoxam41 profile image76
    maxoxam41posted 5 years ago

So they pay pennies and dimes to make them and we are supposed to pay high prices. You don't understand because they are used to it. You did not complain before, didn't you? It is nice to see some anger and rebellion in your reaction. We are their pidgeons. Aren't we here to pay for our desires? Therefore they will keep nourishing them!

Hey Max,

I am talking about the unrealistic price on these shoes.

3. SpanStar profile image62
    SpanStarposted 5 years ago

Greed seems to be the nature of mankind.

It has been said,"What does a person with total power want?"  "More Power."

Greed isn't the nature of humankind. It's one side effect of the human psyche in which EGO has control of.

As for this topic/story, charging $12,000-$20,000 for a pair of shoes is absurd.

1. SpanStar profile image62
        SpanStarposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm afraid Greed is the nature of man.

The Root To All Evil Is The Love of Money!

Btw- you repeating yourself doesn't make it true, you know.

The love of money? roll

The "root of all evil"? Oh please.

You sound like you have that misunderstanding about money just as 3/4 of the world does.

And to think someone else came up with those words before me.  I guess there must be something to it.

Must be something to it? Yeah, there's something to it alright- it's called distortion and misinformed idiots passing nonsense to others.

Of course you would know better then I.

That's apparent.

4. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I saw this on the news last night.  Apparently, the price reflects the machines they'll need (and don't have now) because their existing machines don't accommodate shoes that big.  So I can see the high price, but it does make one wonder why they don't just make the big shoes, give them to him "for the rest of time", and do the business version of "writing off as charitable donation" their gift.

Then again, though, I suppose there's the chance they could get into the thing:  If you give him those expensive shoes free, why can't you give you free shoes to all the little kids of poor families etc. etc.  That type of thing.

I'm not defending them - just assuming they may actually have some reason that would make giving him the shoes impractical or otherwise trouble-causing for them (or maybe even him).

I'm sorry Lisa, but I just don't see how the shoes would cost that outrageous of a price. I mean, they could heavily discount them to make it easier for him to pay for them.

Closed to reply

working