Newsweek's Obama cover

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (30 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

The POTUS is depicted on the cover of Newsweek with a rainbow halo over his head, and the caption reads, "The First Gay President." I don't think this is fair. Obama isn't gay, so it's misleading, at best.

1. Teddletonmr profile image70
      Teddletonmrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Habee, I agree, although I question the way Mr. Obama governs, the magazine cover is out of line.
      Newsweek editors should be ashamed of there in poor taste cover....

2. LauraGT profile image86
      LauraGTposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with a lot of those who have already posted that this is a play on Clinton = first black president.

But, I do remain a little uneasy with this one, especially after hearing national politicians calling his action "gay."  I thought calling people gay to insult them was an insult of days gone by, but maybe it's just a reflection of my geography (grew up in TX, now live in MA).  I was recently "attacked" this way on a hub about Obama's announcement.  I really am flabbergasted by why people think calling someone gay is an insult.  I think it has to do with their own insecurities and their need to assert their heterosexuality.

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe they think they're still in high school. My students used the word "gay" for anything they didn't like:

"I can't believe we have to read that book. It's so gay!"

"Giving us homework on the weekends is so gay!"

I asked them about it one day, and they said the way they used the word had nothing to do with sexual orientation...but this could just be a Georgia thing. lol

3. profile image0
      Longhunterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Newsweek's cover is pure sensationalism just as Time's was with the breastfeeding mom. They're both becoming more and more irrelevant everyday.

They can see the writing on the wall and are just trying to stay alive.

2. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 12 years ago

Habee....You are "right as that rainbow."  This was my exact reaction to such an ignorant phrase......"gay president"......POOR POOR journalism by anyone's standards. This couldn't possibly have even been intended to MISLEAD.  The world is well aware that Barack Obama is not GAY. 
    Stupid, stupid, stupid.  My disgust continues to mount.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I am sure it is meant to be provocative and will as the result sell magazines.  Like when they called Clinton the first "black" president.

4. The Suburban Poet profile image82
    The Suburban Poetposted 12 years ago

They called Bill Clinton the first black president ever....

5. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 12 years ago

As psycheskinner & Suburban Poet said, it's a riff on when Clinton was called America's first black president. He clearly is not black, but he has many sympathizers in the black community, and that's why he got that moniker courtesy of Toni Morrison, an African-American writer.

This time, it's a gay writer (Andrew Sullivan) who understands that Obama is obviously not gay, but he has obviously endeared himself to the gay community.

It's a great article, too:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2 … f=obinsite

1. habee profile image92

I'm familiar with Morrison and Sullivan, and I get the gist of the caption. I still don't like it. I assure you that I'll hear numerous comments from my fellow Georgians, like "Obama is gay! It says so right there on the cover of Newsweek!" lol

1. livelonger profile image86
        livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but those people probably think he's Muslim and that the world is flat, too. wink

1. habee profile image92

Prolly so. It's a good thing Clinton visited our town before he was declared as "the first black president." Some people would have been very confused when they saw Bill at the local BBQ.

lol Everyone should really understand what a metaphor is. I'm sure as a former English professor, it must really break your heart!

6. The Suburban Poet profile image82
    The Suburban Poetposted 12 years ago

The interesting thing is that some gay folks were actually upset that he didn't go farther. Here is a quote from a political website that I used to frequent:

"Sorry, but this is a disgusting copout, and if he's doing it to spare the feelings of bigots, that's even worse.

Just try out the sentence, "I think black people deserve the same rights as whites, but that's up to each state to decide," to understand how devastatingly hideous that qualifier is to his 'endorsement.'

And I can't believe I just Thom Hartmann saying the same thing and supporting Obama's position."

And another:

" This is a simple matter of right and wrong and what Obama's opinion is on the issue. The current makeup of Congress or where society is on the matter really don't enter into it.

If you feel that it's right, and as a matter of law A right, then it makes no sense to say that you feel states should still be able to violate that right.

This really isn't complicated. Basically, Obama said nothing today."

And finally this:

" Sad to say, but as a gay man, it's times like this that make you keenly aware how willing even those who say they support your cause are to throw you under the bus if there seems to be any price to be paid for standing by that support.

I'm sorry you're all having such a hard time understanding how offensive it is for someone to say it's okay if states want to continue denying you your rights.

I'm rendered speechless, frankly, by what i'm reading here.

I'm sorry none of you are getting it.

Its patently offensive to me, but then, its not an abstraction to me.

I live in a state that according to Obama has a perfect right to discriminate against me."

I'm gay and wish he would go further, but understand why he can't. His position is limited by what's politically correct (he is, after all, running for reelection). Until very recently (some would argue even today), it is politically incorrect to say you're supportive of marriage equality.

Besides, the President can't do much about changing the law. Our efforts should be focused on Congress (and the SCOTUS, although there's not much influence we can really have on them).

1. The Suburban Poet profile image82
        The Suburban Poetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I personally believe his comment was very powerful even if he qualified it by defering to the states. Now it's out there and I believe he took a political risk in his comment. Many people won't even "hear" that he is deferring to the states; they will only hear or read the headline that he supports gay marriage. The momentum is clearly in that direction.

I agree, even if it only means that we collectively as a country have progressed so far that his statement doesn't automatically translate to a political-career killer.

1. The Suburban Poet profile image82
            The Suburban Poetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

From a purely tactical point of view I believe each side has a base of around 40% of the voting population. The right-wingers won't vote for him and liberals will. So it's the middle that matters and I think they aren't as hung-up on religious dogma so it will come back to the economy. That's my view anyway.

I agree, and what a change from 2004, when this was first raised as a wedge issue.

7. handymanbill profile image74
    handymanbillposted 12 years ago

Maybe he has been in the closet. Maybe he goes both ways. Just like whether he is a Muslim or not?

1. mikelong profile image59
      mikelongposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That doesn't even make sense..

2. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe he is actually an alien from Mars.  But probably not.

8. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

As a headline it's very effective -- strong and provocative and makes you want to read the story to find out what exactly they mean by that!

Much weaker and wordier to say 'The first president to openly support gay marriage rigths."

By the way, many of you are probably to young to remember John F. Kennedy was the first German president.
    Yep. He said so himself. "Ich bein ein Berliner."
    smile

9. Druid Dude profile image61
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

How do you personally know Obama isn't gay? You made an assumption. I see it more like Nixon's ploy to secure the presidency for the second time. He ended the draft and gave eighteen year olds the right to vote. Brilliant! Pure genius...but risky.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't say that too loudly, there is someone on Hubpages who believes Obama is gay.

10. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

11. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

Lizz Winstead‏

"When President Obama supported Planned Parenthood, Why didn't Newsweek hang a big uterus over his head & call him the 1st woman president?"

1. LauraGT profile image86
      LauraGTposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because that wasn't a few days after Time had a picture of a 3-year-old (who looks like a 5 year old) nursing!

2. habee profile image92

lol  Good one!

12. Wayne Brown profile image80
    Wayne Brownposted 12 years ago

Newsweek, like so much of the rest of the media, is simply playing the flute for this president as he uses yet another group in his quest for a return to the White House for a second term.  If this guy were pictured as everything he claims to care about, the album would be the size of an encyclopedia volume. In truth, he cares little for anything except his own well-being and the ego that accompanies it. I am still waiting for the photo depicting him as a "model leader"...good luck with that. The majority of the American public is a little bit more than fed up with the actions of this president and his administration. Hopefully our eyes are wide open when we head for the polls in November. If they are, we are turn this POTUS out and once again make him a private citizen. He can then destroy his own financial future while playing golf and going on vacation every other week.  America has had presidents who were inept, contrary, deranged, and in some cases, bordering on genius.  This one, this one is a total different duck who scares the wits out of me with his politics, economics, and cold-blooded assault on the fabric of this country. If this president does not raise your concern, you need never worry about any others who might take the job. WB

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)