Would you like to meet Barack Obama?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I'm realizing I really don't.

Back story on this thread:
    I receive fundraising emails from the Obama campaign all the time.
    Not long ago, they offered an opportunity to meet Barack Obama and George Clooney. I thought to myself ... "Wow. I would kill (not literally) to meet George Clooney!"
    Today I received another.
    Subject line offering to meet Obama and Clinton.
    I thought to myself (before opening it), "Wow. I don't really care whether they mean Hill or Bill, I would love to meet Clinton."
    [Note: They mean Bill].

How about you?
    Do you have any desire to meet Obama?
    Or if not an Obama fan, do you wish to meet your candidate of choice in person?

1. Trish_M profile image81
      Trish_Mposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi smile

I'm English, so I'm not going to be voting for any presidents ~ but I hope that I can still reply smile

I am not the sort of person who collects autographs, or anything like that, but I do think that it would be interesting to meet Obama ~ or Clinton.

Both seem to be nice enough people, but the presidency is a very responsible job ~ and one of their own choosing. I think that it would be very illuminating to speak to them.

2. chipsball profile image59
      chipsballposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would certainly like to sit down and have a one on one dialouge with the President of the United States...How can you have a second thought about that MM! If you get a chance to meet with him and TALK... WHAT's the problem MM?

3. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't mind having a chat with him.
      http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/532868_374612059263825_114364638621903_969804_1966079311_n.jpg

4. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sure I'd like to meet him.  I'd need at least an hour, though.  Reckon it'll take that (or longer) for him to wrap his mind around even the most basic of American laws and Constitution.   Somebody needs to teach him that, since Harvard dropped the ball apparently.  Or maybe Occidental accidentally dropped it lol  No matter what, the man needs to know the facts of life and law.

5. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would like to meet Romney, but not Obama.

Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hubber Habee has met Romney.
        She went to a campaign breakfast and wrote all about it for us.
        It was pretty exciting for her and rather cool to get her play-by-play.

I think if I had to meet any of them I'd actually enjoy meeting Joe Biden.
        smile

1. profile image59
          logic,commonsenseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you do meet him, see if you can help him get his foot out of his mouth!  smile

You may be anatomically confused, l,c.
            It's not his foot.
            It's  his tongue that's firmly planted in his cheek.
            lol

2. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 11 years ago

I'm a solid Obama supporter and have no interest myself.

Thank you, LL.
      I feel better about my ambivalance now.
      smile

1. livelonger profile image86
        livelongerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol I never understood those people gushing and weeping at political rallies. I guess I've never heard a politician say something that was so genuinely moving. Some good poetry might be better for that.

3. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 11 years ago

I'd love to meet him just to see that laughy/smile.

4. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Not much of a gusher myself, either.
    Plus, the artificiality of the occasion gives me pause.

Well, LMC. I will give the donation and if by some miracle I win, you can go in my stead.
    smile

1. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That would be great.
      My grandson is going to Washington in June...I really hope he gets a chance to see Obama...or Bo. smile

5. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 11 years ago

A few years back Bill Clinton came to speak at the Hay-on-Wye literary festival here in the UK. I would certainly have liked to have been there to listen to him as he appears to be an intelligent man as opposed to George  Dubya. Certainly Obama comes across with a certain nobility and intelligence too. But hey, on this side of the pond we only get a a limited view of what's going on in US politics.

Limited view? How can this be possible?
      Here on the Hub Pages forums we strive to provide our non-US friends with not only a 360 degree view, but the Full Monty!
      lol

6. Shanna11 profile image75
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

If I could sit down and talk to him and be able to have a solid conversation, perhaps. But I've never been big into the "OMG, I SHOOK HIS HAND" kind of 'meet'.

7. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years ago

Yes - I'd like to tell him about personal responsibility...for murder.

Whose murder, WTS?

1. innersmiff profile image66
        innersmiffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A few thousand Libyans, just to name a few.

1. Cagsil profile image71
          Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you're going to hold the President in the manner in which you are, then you are to also include every single person who made a decision on that matter.

1. Repairguy47 profile image61
            Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not really, Obama is the commander in Chief. The rest are just following his orders.

Doesn't matter or change what I said. It's actually completely irrelevant. I don't give a damn what position he holds.
              This is a pure BS excuse.

Prime example: The movie a few good men. A couple of Marines were on trial for the murder of one of their own.

In the end, they too followed an order and were found guilty of conduct unbecoming of a Marine.

Following orders is pure BS.

A few good men, really? If the order is LAWFUL then no such finding will be found. If an order is LAWFUL then in fact Obama is not a mass murderer. You may want to not use fiction as a basis for determining guilt or innocence. Just a thought.

Yes. Have a problem with the movie?
                  IF lawful. Did the people say it was okay to attack? I don't remember the President asking the public. Oh yeah that's right, he invoked Executive Power, to issue the order. roll Doesn't make the attack RIGHT now does it?
                  I didn't say he was a mass murder. I said that everyone including the President should be held accountable for laying such an attack.

I don't agree with America policing the whole world. It's completely absurd and will completely bankrupt this country. American politicians are the idiots who continue their tirade on the rest of the world, supposedly protecting American interests, and that a lie in and of itself, because it's not IN America's best interest to police the world.
                  I'm not. roll

Have a problem with the movie? Yeah, it sucked, anything with Tom Cruise sucks. I don't believe Obama asked my permission to bomb anyone, executive powers seems to be all he needs, so does that make every order given in this circumstance lawful? I don't know, do you?

I said     The rest are just following his orders.

You said

This is a pure BS excuse.

Prime example: The movie a few good men. A couple of Marines were on trial for the murder of one of their own.

In the end, they too followed an order and were found guilty of conduct unbecoming of a Marine.

Following orders is pure BS.

Prime example of what? The ending of a MOVIE??? roll

2. lovemychris profile image76

Ahahaha! Unless it's the orders to get Bin-Laden....THEN Obama's orders don't count HUH?

3. Josak profile image61
              Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Obedience of military command has been shown again and again to be no legal excuse for actions, take the Nuremberg trials for example.

2. innersmiff profile image66

I actually do include everyone who was involved with that decision.

That doesn't include congress, incidentally, since Obama gets his orders from the UN now.

Actually, that's BS.

Obama doesn't take ORDERS from the UN.

1. innersmiff profile image66

"Obama to Boehner: UN gave us the OK [to invade Libya]"
                http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/wat … ner-libya/

2. lovemychris profile image76

To these people, he takes orders from Beelzebub.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You expect a comprehensive list.....which search engine in the US could provide that?

Have innocent persons been killed by our military?  He is the commander in chief - so he is clearly a mass murderer, no better than Pol Pot.

Does that include those killed in mistakes made by our military?

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
            Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When "mistakes" are a paradigm - fuck yes!!!

Of course the media monopoly padded the numb minds for years prior with that blood stained notion they called "collateral damage." Absolutely nothing in mass politics is accident, and the msm proliferates a meme that we are nothing but glorified apes to ease the passages of serial murderers in office.

8. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

I wouldn't mind meeting the him. However, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't enjoy the earful I would give him. By the time I was done, he would wish that his A$$ was chewed out by his wife and not a citizen.

9. Repairguy47 profile image61
    Repairguy47posted 11 years ago

Would you like to meet Barack Obama?

Why?

10. handymanbill profile image77
    handymanbillposted 11 years ago

Why? You would not get answers to any thing you asked him and it would be a waste of time and energy on my part.

I agree with you on that, handymanbill.
      I would not expect answers or sincerity.
      I am not awed by position or power or charisma.
      So it would be a waste of time!

I'm not sure I have any interest in meeting any politician that represents me, actually. Possible exception: my congresswoman. She's cool and low key.
      smile

2. Cagsil profile image71

Who would ask him question regarding his job? Only a moron would ask him something about his job, other than "what's it like to be President of America". I mean seriously.

Meeting the man, even if a conversation was just hello, a handshake, nice to meet you, and goodbye were all to happen.

It would be an honor to meet anyone in that kind of position. The most average person(and I mean those who are not political) would love and be honored, regardless of what's happened.

The Presidency is an institution, it's a position which is supposed automatically be respected. Just because you don't like the person in charge doesn't in any way, shape or form, take away what the institution originally stands for.

11. incomeguru profile image96
    incomeguruposted 11 years ago

Yes :lol

12. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

I bet most people would act like Dorothy on Golden Girls if they met the President of the US. She had lots of things to tell him, and lots of complaints. When she met him she was tongue tied.

13. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I wouldn't mind meeting Obama. I've met Hil, Bill, Al, and Tipper. I don't think I'd want to discuss politics with the POTUS, however. I'd just like to talk with him because I find him interesting.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)