jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Things you should do before you tell your spouse about your desire to separate

1. Princessa profile image83
    Princessaposted 8 years ago

Things you should do before you tell your spouse about your desire to separate

2. profile image52
    ActiveCityTravelposted 8 years ago

1.Read government web pages on family law in your state/province.
    2.Seek some free legal advice first. 3. Change the name of the beneficiary on your pension plans. 4. Draw up a separation agreement, have spouse sign it and have it witnessed by two mutual friends/family members. A legal agreement signed by a lawyer is not always necessary.

3. profile image45
    mymaraposted 8 years ago

I am guessing you have children? Is your husband a bad person or are there safety issues of why you should leave no matter what? If not you owe it to yourself, your husband and your children to make sure this is the only viable option. I believe in the sanctity of marrige and in love. You need to be able to look at your children in the eye and be able to tell them that you tried everything possible to keep your family together. Counseling, couples therapy ect. If you can honestly say you have truly tried, talk to your husband. Depending on his personality and possible anger issues, you may need to do this in a public place. Make sure you have some money put away to get you through. If he was a good husband and father you owe him a real explanation and you need to listen to him in return. Hope this helps. Good luck!

4. oscarwms profile image69
    oscarwmsposted 8 years ago

Marriage is a sacred and should not be intered into lightly. Anybody can give you some advice on the internet to tell you what you want to hear. Very few people will tell you what you need to hear. We live in a try it before you buy, throw away  society.
    Marriage is not something you throw away because you don't know how to make it work. You suck it up, honker down and make it work. People do it all the time.

5. Lady_E profile image74
    Lady_Eposted 8 years ago

If you have a joint account, withdraw your money and transfer it somewhere else.

(Don't take it out all - just what belongs to you)

6. Laura in Denver profile image80
    Laura in Denverposted 8 years ago

If there are kids, you need a plan for them while you are separated. Who will live where? Who pays for what domicile?

Be sure you know where all your finances are and how to handle them. You will need to have separate finances apart, right?

If you intend to try to stay together, then you need to iron out whatever differences are causing your desire to separate, preferably with a counselor.

If divorce is the only answer, I recommend and equitable split without some of the "dirty tricks" that go on. That is easiest and fairest.

7. profile image46
    jesetposted 7 years ago

Hi! Prince, you know marriage is a special gift from GOD and it is a great plan of GOD to man, to manage his creation, as what his scripture says, that is not good for a man to be alone, i will make a helper suitable for him. Read Genesis 2:18

working