jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What if you think your adult child is being abused by her boyfriend, how do you

  1. Deborah-Lynn profile image80
    Deborah-Lynnposted 8 years ago

    What if you think your adult child is being abused by her boyfriend, how do you intervein.

    As the parent of a nineteen year old, I am stunned that my daughter moved out of our home after returning in hyterical tears one week ago.  She has a severely bruised jawbone and would not admit as to if her boyfriend hit her.  Latr she totally denied there was a problem, when he, age 24, got back into town, my nineteen year old met him here at our house and in spite of me and her father trying to convince her to stay a while longer and think it out, she went out with him vowing she'd be back that night but stayed with him.  Her phone calls and visits are now very offhanded and light.

  2. profile image56
    MysticLingerieposted 8 years ago

    The only problem with this is that when they reach that magical number "18" teens tend to assume they are adults now and dont want their parents telling them what to do. The best thing you can do is to try and get her friends to talk to her maybe she will listen to them. Your daughter like most women think that the man loves them and hits them because they did something wrong. Keep offering her advice and offer her support and w..e she needs ONLY if she comes back to live with you. You cant support her while she is still with him, cause he might be telling her to ask her parents for money or other means of support.

  3. Laura du Toit profile image85
    Laura du Toitposted 8 years ago

    As a mother you can not afford to sit back and let this happen. Speak to his parents if you have to and confront your daughter. Go and fetch her before it is too late. I am talking from experience. Your daughter may be angry for a while but it won't  take long before she will thank you. In all likelihood she is staying with him out of fear that she may perceive to be love. Make an appointment for her to see a psychologist - even if  you cannot persuade her to come home. Go with her but let her talk to him/her alone. They have their methods of getting people to open up and talk to them.

    Please Deborah-Lynn do not ignore the problem. It will not go away and if anything it will probably get worse. Unfortunately as I am using my real identity and I respect my daughter's privacy I will not go into detail but please do something before you regret it.

  4. stricktlydating profile image82
    stricktlydatingposted 8 years ago

    I agree with Laura du Toit. You can't ignore this problem.  If he has already hurt her you can't know how far he will go, so you should not under-estimate the circumstances.  This sounds like a matter for the police. As soon as you think it's happened again please involve the police, they will follow the matter up further than what you can at this point.

Closed to reply