jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

When you don't approve of a relative's marriage, is it ok not to attend the wedd

1. stricktlydating profile image83
    stricktlydatingposted 8 years ago

When you don't approve of a relative's marriage, is it ok not to attend the wedding?

(I've seen the bride to be treating members of the family extremely bad).

2. C. M. Hoisington profile image74
    C. M. Hoisingtonposted 8 years ago

Do you love the relative?  If you do, go.  Its none of your business who they decide to marry.  If you love them, be there for them when they need you.  That is what love is.

3. James Agbogun profile image60
    James Agbogunposted 8 years ago

The outcome of decisions taken on marriages are to leave with the actors forever. One should be careful taking a strong stance in opposition to who somebody should marry. Not attending is an affirmation of a hardline position that is devoid of the love that should have been the only reason why an individual would want to oppose a marriage.

4. MrsOdie profile image54
    MrsOdieposted 8 years ago

I don't think it is okay not to attend the wedding.  Maybe the bride is not a very nice person, but it's not up to you to decide.  The groom has chosen this woman for his wife.  Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't.  But you need to support your relative more than your own need to be right or to say "I told you so."  Besides, weddings are fun.  Free food and lots of booze and dancing.

5. Rusty C. Adore profile image96
    Rusty C. Adoreposted 7 years ago

You may not like the person they have chosen to marry, but that isn't your decision to make. If you really love your relative then you should show your support by attending their marriage. By distancing yourself from them on the happiest day of their life you are driving a wedge between the two of you that might not be removed easily. If you truly love your relative, but you don't approve of their choice in partner, then you should just be there for them should the relationship go sour. They will need a someone to go to if things go poorly in the future. It may not come to that though.. the marriage might turn out to be great for them and over time you might even come to understand the bride a little more (maybe she's not as bad as you think?)

working