jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you think maintaining friendships is easier online?

1. FUNTAIN profile image53
    FUNTAINposted 7 years ago

Do you think maintaining friendships is easier online?

2. wychic profile image91
    wychicposted 7 years ago

In many cases, yes...especially if they're friends that aren't as close to you, acquaintances, or family members that also have their own life. We all get busy with our careers, families, or other things that come into our lives, and it's almost impossible to keep up with everyone all the time. Having the ability to send a quick e-mail or keep up with social networking statuses and offer comments every now and then allows you to communicate with these people who might otherwise fall completely out of your life when you both get too busy or too far away to talk on the phone, meet for coffee or lunch, or other such in-person social interactions. Very close friends should still have some contact with you other than just over the internet, but since true best friends are few and far between then that should be feasible, whereas doing the same for every last person in your life would not be.

3. Shawn M. profile image59
    Shawn M.posted 7 years ago

Your ability to maintain relationships online can be much easier than in person for many reasons but one of the main ones is due to the collective grouping of like minded individuals the internet allows.

These days there are communities for business professionals, work at home mom, internet marketers, online gamers, cat lovers, dog lovers, ferret lovers, etc etc etc.

Unlike in real life, the internet affords you the ability to find these communities that are all based around similar interests.  If your boyfriend or girlfriend doesn't like the things you do or the interests you have, that's OK, you can find a nice community online of people who will affirm what you like and encourage you in it.

From here it is easy to strike up conversations, share interests and begin to foster long time friendship.

Due to the fact that you like this same thing, you have a better understanding of things and it would seem that the relationship is easier to maintain.

I personally belong to a really great online internet marketing community and honestly I have developed some really great friendships, I have shared the ups and downs of life and even have met some of them in person as a result.  Most of these people may never know me, but because we come together about Internet Marketing, there are times it is easy to share other things with them, just like friends off-line.

4. floating mind profile image78
    floating mindposted 7 years ago

That depends on the individual.  For me, I'm a people person.  I like physically meeting and interacting with people.  While I find it acceptable to make arrangements online to met with others, I'm not the type that will chat online.  Instead, I think it would be great to get together for drinks, food, or some play time in the park.  So I would have to answer your question with a direct … No!  If I had a friend who mostly wanted to maintain a friendship online, we probably would not be friends for long.  However … I'm sure you will get a different response from those that love to live online.

5. urs_dipak profile image58
    urs_dipakposted 7 years ago

Yes if your at a distance, otherwise a big no

6. Sunflower5 profile image53
    Sunflower5posted 7 years ago

Yes, and no it depend on the type of friendship it is; but I do think it is easier to connect with friend online.

7. Kathryn S profile image59
    Kathryn Sposted 7 years ago

IT depends on what type of friendship it is.  If it is a dating friendship, it might be more difficult that be around the person.  You can get to know people very well writing because it allows the person to open up more.  If it is a casual relationship, things like Facebook allow you to know what is going on and stay close.

8. Pamela N Red profile image86
    Pamela N Redposted 6 years ago

The Internet has made it easy to meet people all over the world. We no longer have to drive miles or spend a fortune calling long distance to talk to friends who live far away and that is great. read more