jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What does it take for a marriage to be successful?

1. ethel smith profile image80
    ethel smithposted 7 years ago

What does it take for a marriage to be successful?

2. Rochelle Frank profile image96
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago

You've asked this about eight times-- you are starting to sound a little desperate.
    I guess the simple answer is: two people who are willing to make it successful. Other than that, I really don't know. Only been married 48 years so far.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

Selecting the right mate is the best place to start.

In order to that one must know his or herself very well.
    You have to know what you want and what you don't want.
    The goal is to find someone who wants the same things out of life as you do and is in agreement with how to go about having the kind  the life you both want.

It's best to allow the relationship developed (over time) to insure the following 6 traits are in place before saying "I do". It's also a good idea to have things fall into place in the right syntax or order. For example starting at #5 and trying to work your way backwards rarely works!

1. Honesty
    2, Trust
    3. Loyalty
    4. Love & Devotion
    5. Intimacy
    6. Emotional Security

If any of these traits are not in place before the marriage it's going to be an up hill battle.

Naturally you'll want to mutually be physically attracted to one another as well. You can't manufacture chemistry it's either there or it's not.

Whenever a person marries the wrong person they end up trying to find ways to put square pegs into round holes.
    Therapists  end up serving as arbitrators teaching couples how to compromise, fight fair, and basically co-exist.
    With a lot of work most people can survive a marriage to anyone. However if you select the right person to begin with "work" actually becomes a "labor of love".
    The main key to having a happy marriage is both people have to be on the same page and that requires honest communication right from the start.

4. Powerful Pierre profile image79
    Powerful Pierreposted 7 years ago

I would suggest you get a copy of this book at a bookstore near you (Kohl's usually has it in stock)called the "the 5 LOVE Languages". It's by the Christian author whose name is Gary Chapman. BUT do not be fooled as he helps anybody looking for ways to make their marriage successful. I read this book and found it eye opening not that religious in context but could be universally applied to all who will try to make their unions better. Some of my non Christian friends even praised this book too. WHEN you do get it, read it and if you wanna discuss anything in it,(no I'm not getting paid, I wish), feel free to drop me a line.  Peace and all the best to you.

5. CarInsuranceq profile image55
    CarInsuranceqposted 7 years ago

TRUST...that's the key ingredient to make any marriage on this earth a success.

6. Teresa Peach profile image57
    Teresa Peachposted 7 years ago

it takes respect for each other and if either doesn't have it for the other, that's usually a problem sooner or later. Good communication is a must as well.

Closed to reply

working