jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

The break up rules do they apply in every case?

1. profile image50
    Gucci123posted 7 years ago

The break up rules do they apply in every case?

Charlotte in sex in the city once said to Carrie :- " it takes half the time of a total relationship to get over it" do like a good maths soloution in any love riddle, so this leads me to elaborate I was with my ex for 5 years so it will take 2 and half years for me to get over this..... huh? do we need to dwell on past relationships and beat ourselves up about what went wrong what we could have done differently or to we pull up our socks learn a lesson and take what we now know and begin our quest for mr right again

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

No, that's rubbish, despite all the fun and the good times, once the thread is cut, it is gone, over and done with, get on with a new life.  That has always worked for me.  Remember, that maths has only come from a script writer of a, I have to say this, very poor TV series.

3. Extinct Soul profile image58
    Extinct Soulposted 7 years ago

Every person have different prespectives. So a good equation for a person may not be as effective to others. Like for example that line you're reffering to: "half the time of a total relationship to get over it"- I have a different understanding with that one. Analyzing it deeply, I think the character is unaware that she is already setting up a goal for herself and what she did might have worked for her. I know a lot of people who finds it really hard to move on after a break-up, so that rule "could be" helpful for them..^_^ but then again, it was just my calculations..

4. stricktlydating profile image82
    stricktlydatingposted 7 years ago

No of course not.  Every relationship is different and every person handles breakups differently, and grows and learns from them.  I've got a Hub on how to get over and ex in two weeks!  It took me some experience with breakups to get to this point! I don't see any benefit whatsoever in having emotional ties to someone who is not going to play any part in my future.

5. mythicalstorm273 profile image77
    mythicalstorm273posted 6 years ago

This math problem Charlotte gave Carrie is an estimate to help eliminate the pain from people over reacting.  You know the type of people who sit there and cry after three weeks that they will never get over somebody! Still they could have a solid reason for believing that, but by stating this simple equation it makes the outlook seem better and usually cheers somebody up.  With that said it is not a true statement at all.  Not only does it depend on the person, but it also depends on the situation.  If you were with somebody for 15 years and suddenly realized that you just did not love them anymore and they felt the same way... it isn't going to take 7 1/2 years to get over them.  Still it takes time to readjust, but every situation is different.