Can / Should Snoring break up a Relationship?

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 13 years ago

Can / Should Snoring break up a Relationship?

2. PR Morgan profile image60
    PR Morganposted 13 years ago

I think it caused my divorce...not really, but it probably contributed to it!

3. naufillzaman profile image60
    naufillzamanposted 13 years ago

Nah come on it can break up ur relation beacause if your in relation mean u truly love him or herand which mean u love his soul not appearance.

4. debbiesdailyviews profile image59
    debbiesdailyviewsposted 13 years ago

I think indeed, snoring has been a factor in a divorce.
    However, I believe if you truly love the person. There are things you can do, and buy to aid with this very real problem.
    Although, it's only a problem for the listner, as the snorer is blissfuly unaware of the very importance of a good nights sleep.
    For the snorer is enjoying just that.

5. Darknlovely3436 profile image72
    Darknlovely3436posted 13 years ago

should snoring break  up a relationship.. it should not,
    but a little consideration would surely help.
    i usually take my pillow and move to the other room. when my husband use to snore constantlly, like an old truck..

6. keepitnatural profile image61
    keepitnaturalposted 13 years ago

No! If you truly love someone then this is just something about them that you accept, if you don't then it can become really rather irritating!!!
    Saying that I'm a very good sleeper so it's only on the odd bad night that I would notice.
    One good tip is to roll them onto their side if they are snoring bad, my Gran. does this with my Grandad too -it does work!

7. cottontail profile image60
    cottontailposted 13 years ago

It's such a strange thought and it's almost comical how snoring actually creates friction in a relationship but I know, it's not funny, it's awful. Try the breath right strips. Snoring is mostly a fixable problem.

8. mcrawford76 profile image89
    mcrawford76posted 13 years ago

If snoring is enough to break up a relationship, I would say it wasn't much of one to begin with.
    An open line of communication and some experiments with different remedies would be my first course of action.

9. arb profile image78
    arbposted 13 years ago

It would if the snoring was taking place during sex.

10. whthadhappen profile image68
    whthadhappenposted 13 years ago

I experienced this issue, and it can be a pain. My boyfriend took it upon himself to find a way to position himself where he wasn't snoring. Before he did that, I was unsure as to if I could stay with him, it makes you mad when you cannot sleep. So my answer is yes. It can break up a relationship if measures aren't taken to silence the slumber thunder,

11. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

WHAT. if this is enough to break up a marriage, you should never have been married in the first place.

12. mikielikie profile image59
    mikielikieposted 13 years ago

My wife just said yes. She has been telling me that she is gonna make me sleep in another room and I think that I should sometimes because she nudges me all night and keeps me up just as much as my snoring keeps her up. But I don't think she'll leave me because of it. At least I hope not.....

13. profile image50
    Richardpruneposted 13 years ago

I think that if you really love a person you should be able to find a way to ignore/ get used to the snoring. If snoring breaks up a relationship then clearly they never really had a strong relationship.

14. Borganator profile image59
    Borganatorposted 13 years ago

I think that if you really love a person you should be able to find a way to ignore/ get used to the snoring. If snoring breaks up a relationship then clearly they never really had a strong relationship.

15. Joyce F profile image61
    Joyce Fposted 13 years ago

Absolutely.  When you're sleep deprived and all you can can hear is someone else sleeping peacefully for hours on end while you lay quietly trying not to wake them . . . you could grow to hate a person.

16. NotsoOriginal profile image40
    NotsoOriginalposted 13 years ago

No just go to sleep before your boyfriend/girlfriend. Love each others flaws.

17. thewanderer profile image60
    thewandererposted 13 years ago

I think it will contribute to it. I have a friends complaining about this with their partners.

18. Strangr profile image61
    Strangrposted 13 years ago

You know what, I snore! Me and my boyfriend don't make a fuss about it. We both snore so we totally understand what it's like to sleep in the same bed with each other. I don't think that what one does in his or her sleep should matter when it comes to the relationship.

19. profile image0
    Mr Tindleposted 13 years ago

If the relationship is that fragile, that snoring would end it, then it's probably better off that way... LOL

20. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 13 years ago

Snoring certainly can break up a relationship, but it shouldn't if a couple makes every effort to work it out.   Serious snorers and those with sleep apnea ruin a partner's sleep. Most advertised cures help only slightly, if at all for this group. CPAP machines are not well tolerated by a lot of people who say they are claustrophobic. Suggestions such as sewing a tennis ball in the back of pajamas to prevent back sleeping, weight loss, and not drinking alcoholic drinks around bedtime
    are helpful hints for moderate snorers. Seperate bedrooms combined with wearing earplugs is the only solution for others.  Open communication, respect, and loving affection are key to saving these relationships. Otherwise, the resentment can drive them apart.

21. theoctopusjar profile image61
    theoctopusjarposted 13 years ago

One really good quick fix is wearing earplugs! I know how irritating snoring is, but I just never have the heart to kick the person out of the room because of it. smile

22. profile image51
    Douggieposted 13 years ago

No!  If you love him you will help him seek help

23. IN2Deep profile image68
    IN2Deepposted 13 years ago

That's just crazy-Divorce??Although My husband drives me crazy with his snoring.over the last 20 years-He would snore so loud I couldn't fall asleep-I did the whole respectful thing -(Covering his head with a pillow or waking him) lol-just kidding -moving to the other end of the house- but the house was so quiet-I could still hear him snore- He would fall asleep sitting in the dr's office-for 2 seconds-and I would move away from him-lol-cause he would snore loudly (embarassing) in public. Finally he went and had a sleep study done-quick and simple-and turns out he has Sleep Apena- Now he has a little quiet machine that silents that snoring and he sleeps better-feels more refreshed in the morning**and I have to say**I also feel better in the morning. Those breathe right strips did nothing for him.
    Earplugs don't work for all -not when the snoring is like a freight train rolling past your bedroom window--
    Divorce? That is just Crazy!

24. profile image0
    Mauri2posted 13 years ago

In most cases snoring doesn't cause relationship break ups. You just have to get use to sleeping in separate beds. I think?

25. isabellaGanesh profile image58
    isabellaGaneshposted 13 years ago

Snoring should or should not break up a relationship becuase its just a characteristic about yourself that your man should learn to deal with . If he cant handle your for who you are then mabye he isint the one . snoring is just something that your born with .

26. Rock N Roll Jeans profile image59
    Rock N Roll Jeansposted 13 years ago

No, just wear earplugs.  That is a simple solution but it works

27. soaps profile image59
    soapsposted 13 years ago

No way , my dog snoring also loud ahahah

28. what_say_you profile image60
    what_say_youposted 13 years ago

I have known some people with this bad, bad snoring problem that are still married because they LOVE each other...and I know a couple that ended a marriage before it ever started because of snoring.
    I personally would not leave my love for this reason because they obviously have a medical condition that needs to be addressed the same way I wouldnt leave my love for any other medical condition.
    However my final answer would have to be YES....snoring can break up a relationship if it's not true love but I don't believe that it SHOULD be a reason.

29. philirodje profile image61
    philirodjeposted 13 years ago

No No No, Snoring should not break up a relationship. it only happen when one is unconscious ( thats sleeping) it is not deliberate so one should try and cope with it.

30. JayStand profile image55
    JayStandposted 13 years ago

Snoring should deffinatly not break up a relationship. As snoring is caused by the muscles in the back of the throat and base of the tongue relaxing and then vibrating due to terbulance caused by breathing.

its like saying your relationship broke down because your partner relaxed and breathed whilst they slept

31. joshhunt83 profile image62
    joshhunt83posted 13 years ago

My girlfriend kept me up last night with her snoring, but I could never break up with her over it.

32. profile image0
    David99999posted 13 years ago

Lol. If snoring were a key reason for relationships not working out, the divorce rate would be ten times what is!  No...I believe that, if a relationship is truly based on love, the couple will learn to work around such things as snoring.  By the way...Everybody snores.

33. saanj H profile image62
    saanj Hposted 13 years ago

hi

I feel snoring cant be a reason for breaking up a relationship. It can be a cause that may or may not lead to a conflict. But such a silly reason cannot be considered good enough to break a valued relationship.

34. tom hellert profile image60
    tom hellertposted 13 years ago

It can but it is needed for some to fall asleep- *raises hand*
    I loVE MY WIFE AND HER SNORING... her loud log sawing like snoring, her -I heard a growling noise from your bedroom last night dad-
    her scares the cat who runs down the stairs in FEAR snoring
    yet when she went to visit her sister- i had trouble getting to sleep...
    TH

35. jlastevens profile image61
    jlastevensposted 13 years ago

I know some people that have broken up due to snoring being out of control.

I myself, am a loud snorer. I've snored since I was a little kid actually, and would be embarrassed to do any late night activities with my friends (like spend the night) because how loud my snoring was. My true friends always invited me over for a sleep over!

My boyfriend tells me all the time that my snoring is very loud. He says that he'll push me to make me stop snoring for a little bit and sometimes even tickles my back. He says it helps when it gets louder. The funny thing though, is that he says he's unable to sleep now when I'm not there with him. I guess my snoring has become a comfortable thing for him rather than totally annoying.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)