jump to last post 1-19 of 19 discussions (19 posts)

Do you consider gossip and conversation to be the same or different?

1. Cindy2011 profile image57
    Cindy2011posted 7 years ago

Do you consider gossip and conversation to be the same or different?

2. RealHousewife profile image76
    RealHousewifeposted 7 years ago

If you have to whisper - it's probably gossip!

3. KristenGrace profile image61
    KristenGraceposted 7 years ago

Hmm... Different, although I've been involved in many conversations that CONTAIN gossip.

I had to think about my answer, but to give an example of conversation NOT involving gossip would be to discuss qualifications necessary for a job, or explaining to a child how to load a dishwasher...

4. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

Those who don't know the difference mostly gossip.

5. Debarshi Dutta profile image74
    Debarshi Duttaposted 7 years ago

Gossip is non- productive talk that does not enrich anyone except make the time spent trivial and entertaining...Conversation discusses matters which matter.

6. philirodje profile image61
    philirodjeposted 7 years ago

Gossip is quite different from conversation and the difference is not comparable

7. Kwazzy profile image58
    Kwazzyposted 7 years ago

Completely different. In the Navy, can actually get in trouble for gossip, it isn't tolerated and I think the same in civilian world, most gossip is behind someone else's back, and plain disrespectful.

8. Ps leela profile image60
    Ps leelaposted 7 years ago

Yes, it is totally different...
    conversation means transmitting our thoughts, which contain some matters, but gossip, an idle talk about other person.

9. Pagelift profile image60
    Pageliftposted 7 years ago

Different. Gossip is usually a controversial discussion about people or an organization, a conversation is simply engaging another person verbally. A conversation could be anything I guess; even gossip, but they aren't the same thing.

10. luckycharmz profile image60
    luckycharmzposted 7 years ago

For me, I always try to say good things about people during conversations. 

Once, I remember talking bad about someone and that person was standing right behind me, hearing every word; it was embarassing.  You never know who is listening and how it will always come back to you; it's karma. 

I've learned that if you have nothing good to say about a person, don't say anything at all.  :-)

11. arb profile image80
    arbposted 7 years ago

Gossip is a substitute for those, who have not yet, learned how to spell conversation!

12. profile image48
    Oablataposted 7 years ago

The arent the same, because gossip is something is not good doing while conversation can to be hearing

13. quicksand profile image81
    quicksandposted 7 years ago

I guess conversation is discussing events, incidents, and ideas. Gossip is also a discussion, but involves people as the focus. In order to classify a conversation that involves discussing people as gossip, the attitude and mindset of those participating in the discussion should be the criterion. smile

14. No_Clue profile image66
    No_Clueposted 7 years ago

If gossip and conversation were the same thing, I would remain mute! I so hate gossip and try very hard to avoid it at all cost. It is destructive, negative, and hurtful. Conversation should not be these things.

15. Goliathstwin profile image54
    Goliathstwinposted 7 years ago

Different.  I think gossip is when you talk negatively about someone, but conversation, is just talking.

16. pancoor profile image54
    pancoorposted 7 years ago

"Great people talk about ideas.
    Average people talk about things.
    Small people talk about other people."

17. Edoka Writes profile image61
    Edoka Writesposted 7 years ago

Having a mutual chat is a conversation, no matter the topic. But gossip isn't productive- just hurtful.

Conversation-  informal interchange of thoughts, information, etc. by spoken words; talk.

The definition doesn't state that all conversations are positive or important.

18. poorconservative1 profile image60
    poorconservative1posted 7 years ago

Definitely different. To put in the latest new wave terms. Conversation is when you talk, gossip is when you talk smack.

19. micahjoy profile image56
    micahjoyposted 7 years ago

Gossip is useless talk regarding things you've heard about OTHER people, OTHER places, companies, etc.

Conversation is completely different, though I disagree with people that it is the same thing as "talk" or "talking", because you can talk and talk about nothing, and you can talk and talk with no one listenting or without listening to others.

Conversation is an exchange between people, a sharing of ideas, or the back and forth about current events or other topics.  It doesn't have to be life changing or involve grand ideas - but it does have to be a respectful back and forth between two people, where both are sharing and both are being heard.

working