jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Would it bother you if your mate (often) brought up their "exes" in casual conv

1. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

Would it bother you if your mate (often) brought up their  "exes" in casual conversations?

For example a discussion about snoring elicits your mate to say, “ I use to date a guy/girl who snored so loud….etc A discussion about cooking elicits, “I use to date a guy who was a chef” A conversation about clothes: “I use to date a girl who was a model”…etc

My feeling is most people would rather not hear about their mate’s past in connection with conversational topics.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5441973_f260.jpg

2. Hunbbel Meer profile image86
    Hunbbel Meerposted 6 years ago

Depends on mood. Sometimes if I will be in a romantic mood, and ultimately the topic turns out into her ex's talking, obviously I will feel bad. I think past should remain in the past, it should not be keep dangling in the present, or else it ruins the future.

3. Jonesy0311 profile image59
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

I've been married for almost 5 years and have had maybe 2 conversations about her exes. In fact, I don't believe i have ever brought up any of mine. It is useless verbage that brings nothing new into the conversation or relationship. On a subconscious level, it is disrespectful to talk about former partners with your current mate. I wouldn't say it would neccessarily bother me, but I would care about the conversation as much as the new season of Jersey Shore...not at all.

4. Stephiliboo profile image59
    Stephilibooposted 6 years ago

You are so right on this... In fact, it makes me feel awful in a way. I am guilty of it myself, but I have a not so pleasant ex who liked to pop into my life as much as possible, so there was really no way of avoiding it. I try hard to keep that chapter closed, and not go into details at all. Regardless that this reminds me of my faults, this also encourages me to be more aware of this.

5. Ashantina profile image61
    Ashantinaposted 6 years ago

...and your feeling is correct dashingscorpio smile been there hated it, that particular guy had sooo much baggage he shoulda worked in customs... its pure selfishnessness and stems from leftover insecurity

6. LittleStash profile image70
    LittleStashposted 6 years ago

I think it can be entertaining.  After all, there's a reason that the "ex" is an "ex," right?  YOU are the one that's in the room now, so why not learn something from it?  Sometimes, people have healthy relationships with their exes.  That's cool.  If that's the case, let it go, and count yourself a new friend in their ex.  If they just want to reminisce or make annoying, unfair comparisons, though, I'll pass.

7. mcgreg28 profile image60
    mcgreg28posted 6 years ago

Guilty! I stop doing it after i found that it annoyed the crap out of me when someone did the same.

8. stricktlydating profile image83
    stricktlydatingposted 6 years ago

These conversations come up all the time when I'm talking with my single friends about men and dating.  Just girl talk, it doesn't bother me.

9. GlstngRosePetals profile image78
    GlstngRosePetalsposted 6 years ago

I think hearing an ex always being brought up into a conversation would definetly get on my nerves. I think if your in a new relationship the past is the past so leave it there.

10. Rastamermaid profile image72
    Rastamermaidposted 6 years ago

See I'm such a smart ass,I would say,she probably stopped dating yo ass because she was tired of hearing about your ex girls,so tell the next girl,I left your ass for the same reason. Holla!

working