jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How to comfort others when they are depressed?

1. Dovay Lee profile image37
    Dovay Leeposted 7 years ago

How to comfort others when they are depressed?

2. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 7 years ago

That surely depends on the specific situation.  There are several techniques I use when attempting to help a depressed person, though, including:

1.  Active listening.  Sometimes realizing there's a "real ear" out there is enough to make a big difference.  ("Active" listening means your provide a bit of feedback as the other person is talking, not enough to take over the conversation but enough to make clear you're paying attention.)

2.  Distraction.  Bummed out?  Hey, let's go check out that full moon together; have you seen how the clouds are chasing across its face tonight?

3.  Helping the depressed individual dig for the REASON behind the depression.  Sometimes that isn't easy to find, but now and again it's fairly obvious--and figuring out the "why" is enough to start lifting the cloud of gloom.

4.  Simple (honest) encouragement.  Most of us have real talent in one area or another...but often don't see our own strong points clearly.

3. RealHousewife profile image76
    RealHousewifeposted 7 years ago

I order funny postcards by the dozens - from Zazzle.  I also try to remind them that we all have bad days - if we didn't we wouldn't even know to appreciate the good days.  Tomorrow will be a better day!

4. Goodpal profile image90
    Goodpalposted 7 years ago

Depression is a mixture of feeling helpless, hopeless, dejected, rejected, fatigued, etc. Everything is negative and gloomy here. Emotional support and motivation are two most effective tool to help the individual. If you are a good friend or spouse, you can try being empathetic and indicate to the person that you accept and respect him/her despite his/her feeling low. It is normal to feel low or be in bad mood sometimes; it happens to all.

Your care and concern will definitely be therapeutic.

5. dianne143 profile image37
    dianne143posted 7 years ago

Give them your full support emotionally and spiritually. Always encourage them.

6. philirodje profile image59
    philirodjeposted 7 years ago

I would listen carefully and then give instances of people that have been in similar situation then i would tell them how those people got back and got better.
    Comforting depressed people is not an easy thing to do.

7. badegg profile image79
    badeggposted 7 years ago

I would get them away from their current environment...even for a little while. Make them walk laps in a park or a track or encourage them to engage in physical exercise, a game of soccer for example.

The exercise will help the chemical balances of the brain become more stabilized and regulate the mood better. It's a proven fact.

8. Sally's Trove profile image80
    Sally's Troveposted 7 years ago

If they want to talk, listen. If they want to listen, talk. If they want to be left alone, leave them alone. Most of all be supportive, not judgmental.